Racial Quirks

I'm looking to create a list of stereotypical racial quirks for each of the traditional RPG races (orcs, elves, dwarves, halflings, humans, gnomes), so that my players can roll on these tables and give their characters a little extra character.

The problem is that I can't find shit on Google about this sort of thing. Do any of you know any online lists or games or whatnot that have done this before?

Other urls found in this thread:

greenfacts.org/en/biodiversity/l-3/1-define-biodiversity.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_dimorphism#Mammals
middenmurk.blogspot.com/2010/03/devils-in-details-dwarfs.html
middenmurk.blogspot.com/2010/03/devils-in-details-halflings.html
towerofthearchmage.blogspot.com/2010/03/devils-in-teh-details-kobolds.html
grognardia.blogspot.com/2010/03/devils-in-details.html
trollsmyth.blogspot.com/2010/03/devil-is-in-details-slaves-of-shkeen.html
saturdaynightsandbox.blogspot.com/2010/03/devils-in-details-jann.html
poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/03/devils-in-details-gnomes.html
docs.google.com/document/d/1sJo4ev56Hc91sdMBq48Vewu3gYtLBZzis2wZ3yjmF2k/edit
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Okay, there are not enough fantastical races where the chicks are more beefcake than the males. It's really starting to bug me.

Well they don't cater to faggots, so maybe that's why.

Make one, I'll stick around and listen

Do you have no sense of biodiversity?

Dwarves. Women are larger and stronger. When the egg gets fertilized it returns to the dwarf male where it grows within his stomach. The large beard of the dwarf naturally warms and protects the fertilized egg as it grows. Eventually, the developed child leaves the male.

Just slap sea-horse style birth to any fictional race.

>biodiversity=female beefcake

I think you need to learn what biodiversity means and then go ask for your schoolfees back, cause they were clearly wasted.

That makes no biological sense, whatsoever.

Orcs!
>I find joy in the dangerous game of battle (as stereotypical as you can get)
>I will prove myself to my tribe, to the world, to the gods, I'll be number one!
>Those weedy people in their stone towers and cities hink they are better than us. They are delusional and I can prove it.
>Those who don't claim their freedom deserve to be enslaved. By me.
>Tribe must maintain the balance of unity and rivalry, lest it grow decadent or fracture.
>Wisdom of my ancestors shall guide my desires and actions in the right direction. No important decision should be made without consulting elders or spirits.
>Nobody cares about what are you doing it FOR, only about WHAT are you doing! Action speaks, word is silent.

greenfacts.org/en/biodiversity/l-3/1-define-biodiversity.htm

You need to learn how to use all the knowledge at your fingertips.

Now go ahead and link where that implies female beefcake. Go ahead, sunshine, I'll wait.

>Women are larger and stronger.
are you giving males -4 str?

lisn here u ganondorfs if u don;t feed me attention ill smear walls in shit

How so?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_dimorphism#Mammals

Open up baby, here comes your spoon feeding. Choo choo!

I don't see why that would need to be the case. The males could have higher Constitution or Charisma if we want to be pure fantasy. Don't have to worry about SJWs if you are saying "there is exactly 1 race in this setting that operates this way"

Damn, look at them goalposts moving. Fuckers got wheels they going so fast.

What's the goalpost that's moving?

When lying
>scratch behind the ear
>rub chin
>look away
>grasp own hands
>look down
>bush
>stutter
>smile

Hey that's a cute gnome.

fuck dwarves,

i hear they sleep in pits they dig themselves every night.

once my cousin was bit by a dwarf and she started to grow a beard.

Damn straight nigga.

I want to bury my face in that orc's tits

Gnolls makes sense, given that the females are the larger more dominant sex

>bush

Here's some shit from Shadow of the Demon Lord that has alot of stuff like this.

Elf quirks
1. Sometimes I get an overwhelming urge to eat leaves, bugs, or lick moss and lichen from rocks.

2. I'm easily distracted by small, moving lights, and will even follow them.

3. My bladder is embarrassingly small and I need to use the bathroom twice as often as other humanoids.

4. Sometimes, I swear I'm hearing music from the fey realm and add a little dance to my step and start to hum along. Even when it's a really bad idea.

5. My elven senses can actually be a detriment, especially with physical contact where I can feel every line on the skin like it was a metal file.

6. I have problems with personal space, elves measure a person's words best when they're up close and staring into their eyes and can feel their pulse.

7. I cannot stand going a day without my whole body being rinsed in clean, running water at least once.

8. My fingers need to keep busy to keep my dexterity honed, so I'll roll coins between my fingers and the like. Especially when I'm nervous.

I tried to keep it something that could work for all three main flavors of elves. Also would seem interesting in my mind that for all their backstabbing, even Drow lack human senses of personal space and prefer to be close to one another in conversation. (albeit without touching)

That's pretty cool! Um... dwarf is in there twice. Is one of those supposed to be elf or something?

Elven women should feel the constant desire to breed with other races.

My mistake, I did it with MSpaint in like five minutes.

Elves aren't a core book race and are a bunch of fucking weirdo Feylords of the Olde Forests in Shadow of the Demon Lord.

They have Satyrs, Halflings, Elves, and a couple of others in a few of the splatbooks that I don't have access too.

>all the possible kinds of biodiversity you could ask for
>you pick fetishistic shit
Fuck you man. You have 7 flavors of human before you, and your complaint is that they don't have one that indulges in your magical realm because "biodiversity". No, that's not your reasoning: if that was you'd ask for some non-humanoid options, or humanoids without tits at the very least.

>other races should constantly desire to breed with elven women
ftfy

But user, I already do.

Halfling:
>Extra-hairy feet: Reduces charisma when not wearing footwear
>Incorporated soles: Extra dexterity when not wearing footwear.
>Ratling wannabe: You are particularly small and thin, being able to get in and through small spaces without much trouble.
>Ginger: It happens.
>Rotund complexion: Your days of running were over before they begun, yet you can claim to be healtier than most. Extra constitution but less stamina.
>Child-like face: Your family has never been able to grow a beard before their sixth decade, your skin is smooth and your voice hight-pitched. With the proper clothes you can pass as a child amongs the taller races, with some luck.

Fucking here, OP. Lists of quirks, fucktons of quirks for you. Enjoy.

middenmurk.blogspot.com/2010/03/devils-in-details-dwarfs.html
middenmurk.blogspot.com/2010/03/devils-in-details-halflings.html
towerofthearchmage.blogspot.com/2010/03/devils-in-teh-details-kobolds.html
grognardia.blogspot.com/2010/03/devils-in-details.html
trollsmyth.blogspot.com/2010/03/devil-is-in-details-slaves-of-shkeen.html
saturdaynightsandbox.blogspot.com/2010/03/devils-in-details-jann.html
poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/03/devils-in-details-gnomes.html

Why would that be a thing?

I'm pretty sure that in most species that have two sexes that the birth-giving sex tends to be the larger one physically.

Now depending on the evolutionary history you want to give your humanoid races, it's not totally out of the question to make a highly fecund species have larger females than males

In vertebrates, no. So I guess if you're humanoids are jumped up bugs you'd have a point, but then I'd ask why jumped up bugs are suddenly humanoid at all.

>Elves aren't a core book race and are a bunch of fucking weirdo Feylords of the Olde Forests
>Dwarves are the same old fucking dwarves
every time

Why would you want to change qt dwarf toughgirls?

most megafauna(including humans), the males tend to be larger. Only one that breaks the rule that I can think of is the spotted hyena, but the other species of hyena have normal dimorphism

Elves aren't fuckings animals man. Get the fuck out of here with that shit.

Also get the fuck out.

>most species

Well since invertebrate are "most species" I guess you are technically correct.

Have you seen the d100 random advancement options for OSR classes? Given the OSR propensity for race-as-class, certainly you can find something here to inspire you:

docs.google.com/document/d/1sJo4ev56Hc91sdMBq48Vewu3gYtLBZzis2wZ3yjmF2k/edit

How about you just make dwarves and gnomes one race with extreme sexual dimorphism? The dwarves can grow thick beards, have baritone voices, be covered with body hair, and smell like cave mold, while the gnomes are the males.

>Racial Quirks

I didn't actually know what you immediately meant, but I've had a chance to read the thread and will now contribute what I can:

>Orcish Quirks
-I possess an almost encyclopedic knowledge on the herding, breeding, butchering, and cooking swine of all sorts either domesticated or wild.
-I love collecting, drying, and seasoning ear necklaces for both fashion and as a road snack. Ears are the only part of another humanoid I find morally acceptable to cannibalize.
-I take immense pride in my ability to fluently speak the language of our past/current Dark Lord- even if I am not evil.
-It is my personal and private desire to find an Ogress to breed with and sire a brood of half-giant offspring with.
-Pigs are too cute for me to ever eat or harm them.
-I secretly admire and respect Dwarves- having taken a great interest in recreating and studying their crafting techniques for Orcish use.

>Gnome
-I am a traditionalist at heart and take great pride in wearing my red, pointed, Gnomish Cap.
-I don't take offense to being mistaken as a Dwarf, but will politely correct anyone who does so. Always.
-I religiously believe that anything not Dwarven or Gnomish made is shit quality and refuse to trust non-Dwarven/Gnomish Craftsmen.
-I actually dislike Animals and would much rather spend my time in my Shop: woodworking, cutting Jewels, or crafting.
-I am in fact an expert in brewing tea/baking cookies and did in fact used to do it while living in a tree.

>Dwarf
-I have a friendly rivalry with Gnomes and enjoying arguing over which Race makes the best 'x'.
-I don't actually want to go back to the Mines and the Mountains, but instead desire a small Farm House with some Pasture Land in the Valley below it.
-Certain 'mundane' Animals terrify me: Horses for example.
-I can speak and understand Orcish- obviously I intend on telling no one of this.
-I kind of do like the taste of dirt and occasionally add it to my food when no one is looking.

What would be a human's racial quirks?

Let's preemptively agree that IRL humans and D&D humans are two different beasts

Well yeah, meant fantasy humans as an overall race.

Human racial quirks tend to vary a lot.

Sometimes they let a man breath fire from his mouth, a woman move small objects or negate gravity with a touch. Some human quirks turn them into angry Michael Bay, or even allow them to do whatever a frog can do.

And some human quirks allow them to achieve plus ultra!

japs are hobgoblins tho
I can't think of anyhing that's not stupid

I thought that was kenku.

well, for a more serious attempt.

>human quirks
1. I can't stand not being in the spotlight when among other races.

2. I can find beauty in all things, even aberrations and horrors (bonus against non-magical fear effects, penalty against resisting charm effects)

3. Swords or magic? Smithing or leatherworking? Scholarly persuits or athletics? There's so much to do in life and so little time! I want to try everything!

4, If there is something unknown, it's the human imperative to stick their nose into it, even if it leads to an untimely death or unleashing some ancient evil!

>What would be a human's racial quirks?

I'll make an attempt, just for you, user.

>Humans
-I find it difficult to focus on one thing for long and have issues with commitment- I always want to do or go somewhere new.
-I don't trust any non-Human race and will ALWAYS side with another fellow Human.
-I am visibly uncomfortable and anxious in any dark or enclosed environment such as cave, forest, or dungeon crawl.
-I secretly find Orcs very interesting and wish to know more about them and their culture.
-Other non-Human species are just tools to be used for Human benefit.
-I only truly feel alive when I'm hunting, fighting, and slaying magnificent monsters- nothing brings me more joy than the hunt.
-I feel most at ease when on the open plains, in bald, flat ass prairie, where I can see everything for miles and feel the wind on my face.
-There is a great emptiness inside of me, motivating me, urging me to move forward, and stocking my discontent.
-I have never been particularly interested in aligning with any God, but at night, just before I drift off to sleep; a voice softly whispers to me from the darkness, one that's comforting, and familiar as if I've known it my whole life.
-I am embarrassed by how almost violently attracted I am to Centaurs.
-I possess an unhealthy, almost superstitious obsession with idioms, metaphors, and folklore pertaining to Light, Darkness, and Fire.
-I possess a disturbing interest, obsession, and/or talent with necromatic magic/forces.
-I suspect the elder species are hiding information about Human heritage and I am prepared to rip it from them if I have to.

>-I secretly find Orcs very interesting and wish to know more about them and their culture.
My BLACKED sense is tingling

Ayo so the females are big and strong because they evolved the need in order to protect and provide for themselves while pregnant or with very young, and it made more sense than relying on a partner to do it for them. What if he dies, what if he up and leaves, what if it turns out he's not a good provider? No, easier for the most valuable one that bears the children, to be the toughest and strongest, that way even alone it can fend for itself. Safer to rely on strong one, than weak one needing strong other.

So yeah the females are strong and tough, and only really care to protect themselves and their children for a time. Since the males can't rely on protection of the females, they're kind of like scrawny scavengers and have to be pretty skittish and fast to survive. And maybe, just maybe if one is lucky and able to maintain a home life to raise her children past an age where she no longer needs to constantly care for them, then maybe she'll keep a male around and keep him safe if he minds the home.

Redpill me on gnomes

Gnome means no!

>fantasy world
>making sense
U wot m8?

They're shit.

>2017
>Races

What about human stereotypes? Specifically from other races:

>Humans are far and away the most social race. Whereas dwarves and elves can live in isolation for years at a time without starting to feel lonely as long as they have something to obsess over, humans are known far and wide for how lonely they can get when there's nobody around to share in activities with. That round-ear mercenary the Vicar hired won't stop asking people random questions about their childhood. Oh, and of course, they'll try to fuck anything that looks even vaguely like themselves.

>Humans are the party race. When there's space for a party humans are probably the best bet to get one started.

>Since humans vary so widely in habitat and culture there's all sorts of crazy stories attributed to them by the races in more remote regions where there are no humans. Some humans actively spread lies about their race, sometimes as a strategy but mostly just to fuck with people for laughs.

>You can never tell when a human is joking, or lying, or just straight-up making up shit as he goes along and pretending he knows exactly what he's doing. Never trust a human.

>No one expresses a grudge like a human. An elf might swear revenge on the lich that killed his lover, but a human will throw his entire life away and raise an army to annihilate the lich and erase any mention of his name from history, only to become suicidally depressed when his anger is finally sated and throw himself from the lich's tower.

TLDR: Humans are dramatic and passionate and always, always looking for something to occupy themselves with.