/bgg/ Board Games General

/bgg/ Board Games General

Previous thread
Map
zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#

Pastebin
pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu

Which coming release/s are you most excited for? For me it's pic related. The Voyages of Marco Polo is a fantastic dice placement game and currently my favorite game, period. The expansion looks great. I especially like that it can now be played by 5 people.
I'm also really excited for Mythic Battles: Pantheon which I backed December of last year. My very first KS and my very first miniatures-heavy game. I should have it in my hands within 2 months.

How about you guys?

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulstm-the-board-game/posts/2016559
kickstarter.com/projects/chaoticpattern/entropy-worlds-collide/description
kickstarter.com/projects/1926712971/the-7th-continent-what-goes-up-must-come-down/posts/2018754
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Haven't played my copy of Marco Polo yet because the local boardgame cafe has their own copy
Maybe I shouldn't have bought it...

>Nemesis is a 1-5 player survival sci-fi game where players are woken up from hibernation as a crew of a space ship. The emergency procedure states that there is a critical system failure and the space ship can't continue its cruise. The goal of the crew is to find what is causing this failure and fix the situation to safely return back to Earth. The main problem is that one crew member is dead. Somebody crashed his hibernation chamber and pulled his body out. In addition, if you listen closely, some additional noises and sounds can be heard. New ones, strange ones, ones that were never heard before…

>Nemesis is a cooperation game combined with bluffing, backstabbing, and other elements of a science-fiction survival horror adventure.

To me it sounds a lot like an awesome mix between Alien and Aliens and I'm super hyped for it. I hype it's as awesome as I imagine it.

>I hype it's as awesome as I imagine it.
hope*

>Which coming release/s are you most excited for?
I'm looking forward to get and probably never play TI4.
Also kind of excited about Gaia Project.

Truth to be told, I'm not actually HYPE for anything atm since my friends and I seem to have less and less time to actually play games together

It sounds like a cool theme but I think they are dropping the ball on what can be done in a game like this. Many different scenarios can happen in space on a ship. Why limit yourself to , ship broke, aliens onboard. Fix, kill. Done

>looks like a combination of alien and predator on cover
>generic theme, nothing new or interesting, even rips off a jennifer lawrence movie
>on ks, "bluffing" is what they call "we didn't want to make balanced mechanics, you figure it out"
You're super hyped for another lazy hidden traitor cash in? I feel really bad for people you interact with irl. I'll bet you're dumb as rocks.

>Nemesis is a cooperation
Dropped

They should just make a co-op game about a random selection of girls, each with a special ability that were kidnapped and discover themselves on a forest island and they need to find a way to escape from the Rape Master or else they get raped and eliminated from the game.

Pretty sure alot of fags from BGG will get triggered from this theme but it's a game that promotes the strength of women

It's semi-coop. There's some backstabbing invovled.

>semi-coop
>one of the girls is the rapist
Now that I'd fund

>>generic theme, nothing new or interesting, even rips off a jennifer lawrence movie

Rips off Alien Covenant actually

I'm in on Time of legends: Joan of arc, mostly for the medieval 15mm units but the game itself looks pretty decent too.

>people who like things I don't like are stupid

Damn, adulthood is gonna do a number on you.

It's still a fucking coop. At least in my theme, you can be nasty and intentionally trip up your fellow female to get raped first and buy time for the rest of you to find a way to escape the rape forest island.

Also the other denizens of the islands aren't regular animals, they're rape animals who will also rape you but will not eliminate you from the game.

Ya, that's another one of those games that is worth it if you're in it for the minis. I personally think the game looks boring as shit though

>coop
I'm so tired of this shitty meme

co-op means it's solo too for the fa/tg/uys that dont have anyone to play with..

If I don't have anyone to play with, I won't be in fucking denial about it. I'll just not buy those fucking games.

I thought of a more advanced system for Rape Forest Island. If a player's character gets raped. She gives birth to a rape baby for the Rape master that helps him out like an extra minion with unique abilities but the Player's character is flipped over to her more powerful experienced side. So this way, getting raped once doesn't mean you're out of the game immediately, but if you get raped again, that's when you become eliminated. (you basically get stockholmed into loving the Rape master)

What's the wincon, escaping the island or killing the rapist? Maybe we could make either one a wincon, with killing the rapist being harder as a metaphor for facing diversity being harder than hiding from it, people'll fucking eat it up.

Not really into semi-coop-survival game X, but I've looked it up and it really doesn't look half bad
On the other hand, there is very little information outside of the pictures I've seen

please only refer to the rapist as "the Rape master". He's not an ordinary rapist.

The basic wincon is simply finding a way off the island. I'm not sure I want there to be a possibility of killing the Rape master because that might kill the tension and mood of the game. Having him always be present right to the very end will keep the players under pressure as the Rape master's threat never disappears.

Not my fault you don't have friends, because you are too scared of sun and sit in the basement all the time.

I hate semi-coop games, I prefer my games to be either coop or competitive, not somewhere in the middle.

What's so bad about coops ? I mean, outside of "I dont like it" and "muh safe space everybody needs to be friends"... There's still tons of competitive games being released, there's so much being made these days... Even if half of those games arent on your radar because you hate coops or other random reasons, there's still tons of games to choose from.

Hope you had fun responding to yourself and shitting the thread up.
Not even gonna award (you)s

I'm also gonna ask why so many people seem to think Cosmic Encounter is really good?
Was one of the first games I bought when I came back to boardgaming and was severely disappointed. It's long, pretty uninteractive, and extremely random and at times ridiculously stupid (looking at you, Flares). Just want to know why so many people seem to love it

On a graph where -x is your group's thinkiness, +x is your groups boisterousness, and the y-axis is a game's quality, CE is y=x^3.

I only play coop with my gf actually. With an actual group of more than 2 players coop feels really shallow really fast most of the time. Also my friends aren't autists, so even when they lose in competetive games, they can still enjoy themselves. ALSO my friends aren't fucking retarded, so coop games aren't a challenge, if they don't fuck you over by sheer randomness.

I have a hard time imagining a boisterous group that's willing to play a game that lasts more than 60 minutes.

I'm pretty sure Cosmic Encounter is only popular due to burgerspielen nostalgia. The fact that it's not played anywhere outside the USA is pretty much proof.

I actually hate this more than munchkin. At least munchkin knows where to keep it simple and doesn't take itself seriously. CE is all the same problems but in a more complicated package and a worse set up. It's right down there with monopoly for ranking, and I think most of tg agrees so don't know why you're asking us.

No, that graph is shifted a bit to the side. if the scale of the X axis is standard deviations above/below norm it's more like Y=(x-1)^3

>ALSO my friends aren't fucking retarded, so coop games aren't a challenge, if they don't fuck you over by sheer randomness.

This is the general problem with co-op games, that they're mostly 'solvable' except for the randomness. Which will fuck you over and feels like you couldn't have done anything.to prevent it. No idea how to fix this (or quarterbacking)
Semi-coop games additionally suffer from the fact that they have to be on the easier side to support someone potentially ruining everything and still leave the others a shot at winning

kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulstm-the-board-game/posts/2016559
Noice

>upcoming releases I'm hyped for
John Company, Dungeon Degenerates, Hannibal "20th" Anniversary, Ancient Civilizations of the Inner Sea, Seventh Cross, pre-emptive hype for anything that Nate Hayden and Jim Felli wants to shit out in the future

CE is fine if you're not hideously incompetent at interacting with other people, I know that it's not a game with any real strategy but it is very much a group-dependent game, and there are definitely groups who I prefer to play it with when I want to shit talk to hell and back

your anecdotal "proof" is objectively wrong, I know several unrelated people who play and enjoy CE in 'Straya (myself included)

Just bought this for £12 posted, for the miniatures.

Is it worth playing maybe once?

I guess if it's your first time ever playing a hex-based wargame, then after you've successfully deciphered the shitty rulebook you can buy something that is objectively superior, such as any hex-and-counter wargame that has ever existed

>This is the general problem with co-op games, that they're mostly 'solvable' except for the randomness.
Not really. Good luck 'solving' solo Agricola or Le Havre.
> No idea how to fix this (or quarterbacking)
Quarterbacking isn't a problem. The only reason why you'd play coop (instead of solo) in the first place is the chance to communicate wildly different viewpoints and strategies to each other. Yes, that means that playing with someone who's a significantly better player than you is no fun. But the same is true of competitive games too, so deal with it and stop whining. (Or just git gud.)

Australia doesn't count as "outside the USA", and don't even try to argue with me.

>Australia doesn't count as "outside the USA", and don't even try to argue with me.

This drongo isn't much chop, Bazza.

All US states and dependencies have their own cultural quirks. Guam and Hawaii are even quirkier than Australia, so what's really your point?

Reprints pls?

I don't normally come in /bgg/ but what the fuck lads?

Australia is more British than American in outlook by a mile.

>All US states and dependencies have their own cultural quirks
>Americans still pushing this crap
Nobody gives a fuck. As far as everyone is concerned, you are divided into four groups: Urban Northerners, Rural Northerners, Southerners (this doesn't exactly correspond to geography, since Northerners take everything that wasn't in CSA) and remnants of natives.
That's literally it. You can try to claim whatever the fuck you want - nobody gives a fuck and nobody buys it. Not even Americans.

What is this, discount Terra Mystica?

>I have never played Terra Mystica or Marco Polo

t. (you)

>game uses dice for anything

What are some good ones for a beginner in wargames to get?

I backed Aegis so I'm waiting for it to ship. Their timetable has it going out early next year

>Australia is more British than American in outlook by a mile.
No, everything you consume is American, including boardgames. (I'm not from any anglophone or western country, just an outsider looking in and providing some perspective.)

I'm not American. Did you miss the "dependencies" part? Places like Guam and Puerto Rico (and the Philippines until recently) are American too.

>pls no argue
stay classy '''Eurofag''', at least your response to quarterbacking to another user was on point, a shockingly rare example from (You)

traditionally I'd agree with you, but the authoritarian left snowflake mentality that the US has created is awfully prominent in Melbourne

OGRE pocket edition is $3 if you can find a copy floating around. The new 'large' hex and chit edition of OGRE is excellent if you don't mind investing in it. (I'm waiting for my Minis from their first plastic minis KS to arrive too.)

There's a copy of that Level 7 game and its expansion over here that nobody wants to buy.

Not hex-and-counter but if you can get 3 players to commit, Triumph & Tragedy is a fantastic grand strategy block wargame. Another couple block wargames I've also heard good things about are Rommel in the Desert, and Fields of Despair, though these are two-player games.

Another sort-of wargame series worth looking into is ofc GMT's COIN series, especially if any of the conflicts covered by the games interest you (PENDRAGON HYPE!!??). If nothing else all the wooden bits make it a bit easier to trick eurogamers into trying it...

For literal hex-and-counter type wargames, well, I don't know much about any of them really, but if I were to get one it'd probably be Combat Commander: Europe or Paths of Glory. Maybe something out of GMT's Next War series is worth looking at too, though I think that might be jumping into the deep end a bit. Last but not least, if you're a tank nerd, GMT's MBT is probably worth a look.

anyone backed this?
kickstarter.com/projects/chaoticpattern/entropy-worlds-collide/description

I considered it and it was close but at the time I already pumped a lot of cash into other KS stuff so I decided against it.

like said OGRE is a good beginner hex-and-counter wargame, the pocket edition is OOP at the moment but if you can find it for

>Quarterbacking isn't a problem. The only reason why you'd play coop (instead of solo) in the first place is the chance to communicate wildly different viewpoints and strategies to each other.

I am the one holding back not to quarterback, your 'git gud' argument holds little ground. My complaint is just that its not fun telling others what to do and equally little fun to hold back when your team is doing something stupid. There is little inbetween. But we probably have different games in mind, since you count solo games as coop.

Did you read what I said? Competitive games are just as unfun when people with wildly different skills levels play. Either learn to deal with it or play with another group, it's not a coop problem.

Also every coop game can be played solo.

I need a game for me and my best friend to play. We love sci-fi or fantasy adventure games. Any recommendations?

So, we all know Kickstarter has a tendency to deliver garbage, or at least turkeys. Has anyone gotten something lately that actually made the grade as a good game, something they enjoyed playing and have no regrets spending the money on? Hardmode: No reprints or second editions.

For me, Pic Related. I don't want to hype it too much but it's been fun, the sort of reasonable, decent game I was hoping to obtain when I backed it. It's not a 'new favorite' and it probably doesn't kill any of my pre-existing games (partly because it's quite different) but I got my money's worth.

"Adventure" is probably not a well respected genre, if you're talking about rpg-like mechanics and long, narrative natures. The best of the lot are probably Legends of Andor and Descent.

If you mean adventure as a component of the theme, that's a little more open. I'll recommend Vast: the Crystal Caverns fairly heavily but I'm not 100% it would be as good with two.

If you stretch your definitions or like Lovecraft, Arkham Horror is probably a good call. It's long as hell and fiddly but it's good with two and is a fully rewarding experience for its long running time.

Thanks senpai

Anachrony
has become one of my favorite games

Is Kickstarter good or bad for the hobby?

I'd say good on the whole. It creates a lot of crap, that's true, but it also lets creative endeavors get off the ground that never could if they had to market primarily to larger investors who like safe returns.

Good. There's a fair amount of games I've gotten that came from Kickstarter. In the end, good projects will float to the top and bad ones will be forgotten about. If you're uneasy throwing money at an unproven game, then don't and just wait for retail.

The only really bad point is people making exclusives, which sucks and I stand by is unnecessary because so many successful Kickstarters have little to no exclusives, but those are likely games that will sink. Just don't be an idiot and fall for such practices.

Thanks for the long comparison between Forbidden Desert and Forbidden Island in the previous thread. Island it is.

Bad. The difference with presenting a proposed product for a boardroom and for a kickstarter audience is the amount of critical scrutiny the product needs to endure.

A publisher in the boardroom will want to demand to keep the production cost of the product down, know what new elements it adds to the market, what the competing products are and how the product will compare and all the other requirement a board game needs to be published.

A kickstarter game only needs to present some pretty pictures, lofty goals, an idealized vision and the money will instantly start flowing in and investors will start voting for the game on BGG to push to forward.

>the only really bad point is people making exclusives
What about the economic incentive for backers to push the project to create more value for their investment while hiding that they are backers? Backers are perfectly able to anonymously generate buzz in many ways ie. by rating the game a 10 on BGG, create forum posts praising it etc.

>implying mahjong's dice useage isnt perfectly fine

>What about the economic incentive for backers to push the project to create more value for their investment while hiding that they are backers? Backers are perfectly able to anonymously generate buzz in many ways ie. by rating the game a 10 on BGG, create forum posts praising it etc.
Why should anyone care about the hype machine? What difference does it make?

Who are your favorite reviewers?

Any popular reviewers you dislike?

Ultimately good I think. It increases the number and ideas of games and allows for games that would never be printed otherwise (KD:M for example) because it targets an audience too small to sell it via retail.

Though this is true as well. We know that people who backed a game tend to rate it much higher than others that got it from secondary markets or retail. It also seems like a growing problem that more and more backers "invest" in a product as exclusive (see KS only rewards) as possible to resell it for a small fortune. Though that just annoys me and is actually pretty irrelevant

If I, as a backer, can get more people backing the same kickstarter, my investment can potential increase in value, while not increasing in size, due to rewards like stretch goals and similar bonuses.

It shits up the market. I can't wait for the bubble to pop so designers and publishers are forced to make games that are actually well thought, well balanced and playtested.
Publishing a new game is supposed to be a risk, and producers used to want to make sure they had a good return on investment, which meant not pumping out shit. Now they can get the money from cuntsumers before the game is even finished, so why even bother making it a good game? Just pump out hype, some appealing art/theme, add miniatures and exclusives, wash, rinse, repeat.
Fuck all that.

And this matters because?

You hate stretch goals. got it. But anyone lured in by said hype also benefits from the same return on investment at the same price so it seems mutually beneficial for those involved (unless the investment goes south, as it can, which benefits neither the old backer nor new).

Did love SU&SD and No pun included, but both annoy me to no end with their evergrowing forced correctness. SU&SD also are becoming more and more "This game was fun, social and interactive/small, therefore we recommend it!" and becoming a bit snobby.

Do like the discriminating gamer, thoigh 90% of what he reviews are waegames that dont really interest me. Also Tom Vasel is growing more and more on me, I feel like I judged him too harshly for his sam heely sidekick who is just an unbearably obnoxious idiot.

And, obviously, the bard

The main dice tower trio is entertaining for their top 10 lists. I don't always agree with them (See: Vasel's boner for the garbage that is Cosmic Encounter) but when they're all talking about a game, I can usually get a good sense of what it should be like and if I'd like it.

>KS games not being playtested enough
Oh god yes. Sadly this hardly matters because a lot of people will only play it 2-3 times, give it 10 points on BGG and never touch it again.
Being midst-rant, one more thing: Fucking FFG dont seem to have a single person checking if the rules are actually complete, who on earth (except Quinns, what the hell) thinks the "First play" rulebook is a good idea? Nearly every rulebook is lacking/extremely unclear on things, making it very frustrating because it breaks the gameflow so often. And Im not even a ruleslawyer

I'd be fine with "Learn to play here" booklets if they didn't leave those rules out of the actual fucking main rulebook, and organized them in a comprehensible, logical way.
I've spent so much time going back and forth between Mage Knight's booklets it isn't even funny.

Exactly! What is the point of a "lets play" rulebook when you later have to check every minute annoying rule in an index that probably wont tell you. Oh, the rules for attackin bastions are neither under "attack" nor under "bastion" but in "buildings". This annoys me greatly

I received pic related a couple weeks back and we're having a blast every time we play it. Really nice, fun, small filler game. Plus I love the artwork.

>>And, obviously, the bard
Wish he became a regular uploader. I fully understand why he feels like its a chore, but his form is entertaining and he seems to know a lot. Like how he discusses fapbait statues.

pls upload the fucking snake game bard

I look forward to campaigning with my group through Pandemic Legacy: Season 2.

Which version of Innovation should I get?

Third edition?
illeo?

what do?

Third edition, some cards were rebalanced.

I'm looking at a discussion about best games of this year and seeing a LOT of people say Too Many Bones. It looks really neat, an RPG tactical combat coop with really unique characters and really like that it doesn't seem to go on a grand campaign that I need a specific group for. Any opinions on the game from here?

Should I get Castles of Burgundy or The Voyages of Marco Polo?

yes

Watch a bunch of gameplay/playthrough videos of both and choose the one that looks more fun to you.

kickstarter.com/projects/1926712971/the-7th-continent-what-goes-up-must-come-down/posts/2018754

7th continent. 1 day left btw if anyone wants to hop in ;) shameless shill, i know

Haven't played any of them, but I feel like Voyages has the more interesting mechanics. The player powers sound like a lot of fun.

get both, if you have the money. I'd say Marco Polo though since it's newer and more interesting. People you play with might have played Burgundy alot already.

>coop
yuck

Been thinking about backing the game for the last weeks, but ultimately decided not to since I can get 3-4 games for the price of the base game alone
And if one can trust NPI, the curses vary wildly in playtime (apparently the first one takes a lot longer than the others iirc)

only played castles. I dislike it because the game feels like it drags on too long. Second I dislike it because a lot of your decisions feel like they all help you equally and you just grab points. Then at the end your options are limited as are those of others so then you can finally start optimising without dying from data overload.

Nothing terribly innovative or revolutionary, but a fine game with gorgeous components - maybe a bit overpriced but whatever

Helionox was worth every penny

CoB is good. Get that. Also get Marco Polo.

If you can't get both get a job nigger

playing on the back board and not starting on the standard obvious spot on the front board both help with this.

Side question: is castles of burgandy card game worth getting? I don't own CoB, not buying even though I enjoy it but I was thinking maybe of picking up the card game.

So is this the most cancerous general on Veeky Forums?

>playing on the back board and not starting on the standard obvious spot on the front board both help with this.
Yeah did that. I still play it (because others enjoy it) but personally I dont feel in control which makes it a big turnoff.

Because dominion exists

fuck off shit-stirrer

>If you can't get both get a job nigger
I CAN get both, but I only see my main gaming group every couple of months and one of the other guys usually turns up with a new game or too as well, so I usually only want to take 1 new game along otherwise we never get a chance to replay the games we know we like!

Plus it's something I can buy later as another treat to myself.

Nothing stops you from bringing older games that they liked too so you can actually replay them, fucking niggerbrain