>media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/resources/rules/MagicCompRules_21031101.pdf

>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

>Thread Question
If top were to be unbanned, would some sort of miracles deck emerge and dominate the metagame like it did in legacy or would some other deck abuse it better?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/deck/794530#paper
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Top is way too strong. Don't think it'll be miracles though, but shit like mentor top.

Merfolk Branchwalker seems pretty interesting for green stompy, it gives much needed land filtering and can have a counter on it to buff up avatar of resolute. Gonna have to do some playtesting.

How would mentor with top be better? Being able to guarantee at least one noncreature spell a turn? Or just better ways to find those noncreature spells?

Chaining two tops together makes Mentor real dumb real fast

Cast top, put it back on top. Draw another top, put it back on top drawing first top.

This is done at instant speed.

I like playing with busted cards as much as the next guy but you have to have balance

Better in a ug merfolk deck. It's silvergill 5-8. And silvergill is the best card in the deck.

Ok fair point, I wasn't considering using two tops. Nor was I suggesting that top be unbanned, just curious about what kind of decks would emerge if it was

Just unban Jitte already.

Why do people always want to unban the most broken shit ever? do you have to have a tier 0 deck that beats everything?

Can someone tell me why all the UG murfolk lists I see not run CoCo?

Because Coco works best when your creatures are in the 2-3 cmc range, not the 1-2 cmc range.

It's 4 mana, gets worse with Vial in the deck, and get's even worse if your 4th land is Botanical Sanctum.

I think green opens up so many books in decklists, it's a shame people only think of CoCo when the color is mentioned.

Based retard

Merfolk lacks mana acceleration, hierarch and birds make coco possible and merfolk also runs a lot of colorless lands (4x mutas, 1-4 caverns) although I've seen U/G merfolk lists before with CoCo and I personally think it's great it's not as good as the other CoCo decks.

On top of that there's a limited spot for spells in merfolk and I've had an hard time winning without using counterspells.

I can understand that, but at the same time you almost never want to see vial out side of your first draw or starting hand, going down a vial and playing 3 or a set of coco can hit some of the lords 12 lords in the deck giving you a large temp swing or could even get out a Kira.

>the truth is retarded
One of the most powerful things about coco is that it lets you cheat on mana, getting 5-6 mana worth of creatures for 4 mana. U/G Merfolk is mostly 1 and 2 cmc creatures, so that will not happen often.

>U/G Merfolk is mostly 1 and 2 cmc creatures

This is why you are a retard, at most it runs 6 1 cmc the rest are 2 drops, merrows and kira + kopala

mtggoldfish.com/deck/794530#paper
Hmmmm....

What do we see here? 8 one drops and only 3 three drops.

Are you playing the 1-drop and Branchwalker? If you are, you're probably not running 4 Reejerey and you're probably not running Kira at all.

The U/G list is a much faster, lower-curve list.

>going down a vial
Well now you're really swaying the odds that it won't be in your opening hand, and that it's a dead draw later. If you're running CoCo and Vial, you're probably running 4 Vial 2 CoCo. Though I'd be interested in seeing a 0 Vial, 4 CoCo list.

CoCo lets you cheat on cards, not just mana. Also keep in mind, the Merfolk lords are not even fucking close to worth 2 mana.

>mtggoldfish

pls go and stay go along with these retards

>CoCo lets you cheat on cards, not just mana
Yes, which works best in a combo deck that would also want chord.
> Also keep in mind, the Merfolk lords are not even fucking close to worth 2 mana.
That's what they are though, 2 mana.

Not the guy you're replying to, but in U/G lists we're probably going to see Cursecatcher cut to 2 or cut out completely. The deck has swung from tempo to aggro.

Or I can just start ignoring you now that I know you're either a troll or a buffoon who doesn't know what he's talking about.

>says the guy that doesn't even play the deck and links to a fuck awful list

You are a complete retard

>fuck awful list
>top 8 SCG Modern Open
Let me guess, it has to win a GP before it's "ok"?

It has to prove it can consistently top 8 and get a 55%-60% win ratio after months of playing you imbecile but if you had any fucking idea on how merfolk works and had play tested the deck in various form you would know why that is garbage.

>It has to prove it can consistently top 8 and get a 55%-60% win ratio after months of playing
Which no U/G Merfolk list has done, because it hasn't existed that long 'tard.

So the deck has literally one result, a top 8, and you instantly label it shit?

Your logic works both ways. It hasn't had time to prove anything.

Yeah and that list barely scrapped the 8th place while regular mono U gets top 8 all the time, that's proof enough it's garbage.

>you can't call this new deck good it hasn't proved itself
>but I can call this new deck shit because it hasn't proved itself yet
Feel retarded yet, bud?

That was weak. Troll harder.

No my logic is based around the play testing that lots of people have done and my own as well you are the second one incapable to judge it seeing how you have no clue on how it operates.

>new deck that is supposedly stronger than the old version doesn't perform has well as the old version
>good

I mean, it's notorious that Veeky Forums is bad at magic but at least you should understand how to recognize a good list after years of playing.

>trust me guys, it's shit
>can't tell you why, but we play tested it and it's shit

>pay no mind to the top 8 after 2 weeks of the new set being released
>it means nothing
>it's SHIT SHIT SHIT

Except that you've shown yourself to be an idiot. Why should we think your playtesting is meaningful when you haven't gotten any actual results? Referring to nebulous "lots of people" also means nothing.

>Veeky Forums is bad at magic
>you are on Veeky Forums, trashing a list that did well
ding ding ding

Are you dense? The deck has existed for significantly less time, no shit the results aren't as big.

Tell me what's bad about the list. I need to know your endless insight.

How often do you guys sell your cards?

A couple times per year. I sell cards that I get from limited to buy cards I need for Modern or Commander.

I need to sell a bunch of cards that I dont play with. They're pretty good cards too

How's my meme brew?

4 Adarkar Wastes
4 Eldrazi Temple
1 Sanctum of Ugin
4 Hallowed Fountain
3 Seachrome Coast
3 Island
1 Wastes
3 Ghost Quarter

4 Mistblade Shinobi
3 Ninja of the Deep Hours

4 Judge's Familiar
2 Siren Stormtamer
1 Faerie Impostor

3 Elder Deep-Fiend
4 Wretched Gryff

4 Thought-Knot Seer
3 Matter Reshaper
4 Eldrazi Skyspawner
1 Eldrazi Displacer

4 Path to Exile

Sideboard?
Also why Eldrazi Displacer? Is it for scion generation and Thought-Knots, or is it just there as extra protection?
I'm also wondering if Moorland Haunt could work. It allows you to generate spirits from your dead creatures, provides colorless mana, and if you run Mausoleum Wanderer it turns them into combat or counter tricks.

>Topdeck Edition
I'm content with trying to kill you with my opener, thank you very much.
>Playing?
Hasn't changed (Affinity).
>Hating?
I don't hate any decks, just certain types of players.
>Meta?
I'm interested to see how Storm will do this weekend.
>Building?
Nothing in Modern right now.
>If top were to be unbanned, would some sort of miracles deck emerge and dominate the metagame like it did in legacy or would some other deck abuse it better?
If you want me to guess, I'd say yes since Counterbalance is legal. Then again, I don't play Legacy so that really is just a gut instinct guess.

Both! And I love mausoleum wanderer !

To be honest the deck might be better in a UB shell instead to have access to discard and there's a pretty decent discard emerge guy.

UW Eldrazi Ninja Emerge?

That name gave me aids

Babby magic player here trying to get the most out of my river sneaks. What exactly is a 'Merfolk spell'? I can't find that keyword on any of my spell cards.

Creature cards are spells.

Oh goodness. That seems awfully strong for two cheap commons. Thank you.

A merfolk spell is any merfolk creature (creatures are spells when cast and on the stack) or any tibal-merfolk spell.

Refers to the types. Merfolk creatures are Merfolk spells, as are the spells Aquitect's Will, Merrow Commerce, and Summon the School. In addition, any card with Changeling, (e.g. Wings of Velis Vel) is a Merfolk spell.

>naya burn (no cats because they suck)
>mono blue cuck who constantly goes to time
>seems fine, I like how even if gds is seen as the top deck it's still a good game for me
>trying to finish standard then either 8rack or storm

What are you cutting for it tho?

Strong in limited maybe. Constructed not so much.

Naruto 8 tails summoning jutsu

I don't think GDS is seen as the top deck anymore. It's no longer the new hotness and is kinda just Jund now.

That's kinda clever, actually.
I was thinking Nindrazi or Eldrazi Paratroopers (the flyers drop in ninjas, and those flyers and ninjas can also drop in Eldrazi).

Too bad this wasn't a two drop. Or even hair "merfolk enters the battlefield"

What's the significance of that? If you don't mind explaining.

If it was "whenever a merfolk enters the battlefield", it would go infinite. It would need to either be non-token merfolk (which makes it basically the same) or add on something like "do this only once per turn".

Why did naya drop off completely? Blue decks once again reign supreme

Well, look at the meta and see how many of the top decks Burn has a favorable matchup against.

Do Affinity and Storm really count as blue decks?

Being a Burn player is suffering.

Are there any ways to get in to this game without having to shell out half my savings account? Was always curious about magic, but never actually played it for real.

you can build burn for 50 bucks

>Are there any ways to get in to this game without having to shell out half my savings account?
Acquire more money so that 500 bucks isn't half your savings account.

To learn, you can buy one of the Duels of the Planeswalkers games for your system of choice for like $10 (maybe less now).

To play in RL, you can build a budget constructed deck for less than $100.

If you want to play competitively though, you are going to need to spend hundreds of dollars. That's just the way the cookie crumbles.

so you can suck with it. Build mono green stompy. At least it doesn't get shut down by a single card

It's actually a lot less money than other hobbies. You could be in to model airplanes like my father and spend around a grand each month. ~$600 for a deck is pretty tame by comparison. However, you can easily buy a budget deck for around $100. Mono Green Stompy, Mono Red Burn, 8Rack and more can all be built on a budget and win some games.

This is not to say I'm excusing the ridiculous prices of certain cards, but this game is a recreational hobby and spending extra money is to be expected.

The difference there is that budget burn can be upgraded to a competitive deck. Stompy can't.

>jitte
>most broken shit ever
In what fucking deck?

Totally needs Faerie Miscreant as a 4 of. Replaces itself if you flood into them, plus the bounce from the imposter makes it tough to replay teh ninjas.

Any deck that runs creatures

That's why it's broken

>You could be in to model airplanes like my father
I am, that's why I have no money in my savings account

I pretty much just want the base amount of not-trash cards to play. See if its something i want to stick with, you know?

yes, with just 400 dollars you can upgrade your deck and try to beat more decks!

Aether Vial can put Merfolk onto the battlefield without "casting" them. Which means you don't get cast triggers like that enchantment, but also means it can't be hit with Counterspell since the card itself is never on the stack.

how good is actuallt budget 8-rack? Seems like a really fun deck

The creature decks that would pop up overnight if it were unbanned.

>Any deck that runs creatures
So like 2 of the 15 T1 decks?

And have fair odds of doing so.

God forbid we have more creatures.

Modern cucks just love not playing the game and use shit like Storm and Scapeshift and other combo shit.

Having a bunch of creature decks, all running Jitte, is not something we want. Wotc agrees, hence why it's been banned since Modern was created.

You can disagree and complain if you like, but you won't change anything.

Affinity, Jeskai Tempo, Grixis Death's Shadow, and Eldrazi Tron all use creatures. Combo is also a valid strategy and should be allowed to exist as long as it doesn't take over the format, which is hasn't.

Yeah, pick up a budget deck and have some fun learning and figuring out if this game is for you. If you want to go super budget and have some friends, play Pauper together. Most decks can be built for around $30 and is both chill and fun.
Not that great, but can steal games. A friend of mine has it and runs raven's crime + dakmor salvage. The deck doesn't really NEED expensive stuff like Lily.

>Autolose to leyline of sanctity is fun
At least burn have options

>we've had 6 years of sets and huge meta shifts but we're still 100% sure a equipment with three very average modes is too strong and will break the format
>meanwhile a fucking land is hitting me for 18 on turn 4 is perfectly fine nothing to see here nope no sir

Pretty fun. Its a fun, slow, grindy deck that plays like proactive control. I use Pack Rat and more removal to mimic LotV and Ensnaring Bridge.

I think it's even easier to get into with the cost of Inquisitions of Kozilek being as low as they are (you should pick up a playset).

Roughest match up is always Dredge or living End. Both decks just want stuff in their graveyard. If you go up against either game one, just give them the game and get some Tormod's Crypts/Relic of Progenitus/Nihil Spellbomb from your board.

Biggest problem is if you want to upgrade into the full 8Rack, then prepare to buy you a playset of LotV, and Ensnaring Bridges.

Alright, imma pick up a cheapshit deck and play with some friends if I can convince them. Thanks for the help

Valakut should have been legendary.

Yep.

Playing Bridge in 8rack is just wrong.

Do any of you Merfolk players use Modo? I've got a foil Kopala I'll give you, it isn't worth any tickets but it should go to someone who will play it.

>2 to cast
>2 to equip
>artifact
>HAS TO GET COMBAT DAMAGE BEFORE IT EVEN DOES ANYTHING
>and THEN you can choose from 3 underwhelming modes
Sure, maybe by T6 this thing just gets a ton of value, but I fail to see what makes this ban worthy. Isn't Fire and Ice just a better card?

>Playing a card that shuts down creatures when you have very few cards in hand at any given moment is wrong.
I bet you think Tron is a fair deck, too.

There are decks that have budget alternatives and can be upgraded. Mono-Red Burn can be upgraded into Boros Burn, and then Naya Burn. Mono-White Humans can be upgraded into Boros, Naya, Mardu, or Orzhov Humans. BW Tokens can be cheaply built and upgraded. UW Spirits has Bant Spirits.
Of course you could go to MTGGoldfish and look at some SaffronOlive memebrews.
The thing that will hurt you the most is the "package", especially the landbase. This is where you have to settle with cheap lands such as checklands, lifelands, or scrylands in order to ensure your deck has some level of consistency. As far as "package", this is where you get the utility cards that most people of a color play, such as Fatal Push for Black. There are substitutes for those that aren't strictly worse, such as Dismember for Black.

what is pack rat?

Keep complaining about it on Veeky Forums. Surely that will cause something to change.

>Burn have options
kek

It's the retards on Veeky Forums telling me "creatures will be too good" that are bugging me.