City Maps

So I got this "book" years ago from my LFGS that went out of business. It is full of maps of cities from the Kingdoms of Kalamar setting, a D&D 3.5 seeing that never gained much traction. Anyway, my idea is to photoshop assume if these maps for use in my own campaign, adding locations, changing names and demographics, etc. After scanning them last night I realized you guys might like these as well. The maps aren't the best, but they're a hell of a lot better than I could do. So here goes. The first two maps are the world map. Also, somehow I missed the 3rd and 4th maps, but, let's be honest, they all look somewhat similar anyway.

Also, any city Maps anyone has throw then it there!

Other urls found in this thread:

oneonta.edu/faculty/farberas/arth/Images/ARTH_214images/Paris/Paris_1615_merian.jpg
historic-cities.huji.ac.il/mapmakers/braun_hogenberg.html
havocx42.aura.feralhosting.com/Pathfinder/Chronicles/PZO9215 City Map Folio.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Don't know why the pic is upside down. I thought I fixed it all last night. Will, I'm phone posting so this is what we get I guess

After running a swashbuckling campaign in Paris, I realized I had access to a vast amount of real medieval cities.
Now I usually just google "Warsaw medieval map" or "Rome antiquity" and bam.
I do the same with most buildings, using archives for medieval ones and firefighting plans for modern ones.

Da map:
oneonta.edu/faculty/farberas/arth/Images/ARTH_214images/Paris/Paris_1615_merian.jpg

Sorry to get everyone's hopes up but Veeky Forums sucks for uploading pictures... wait times, then all of a sudden duplicate files warnings. If anyone is intrrested I can post more

also, the one that always gets linked:
historic-cities.huji.ac.il/mapmakers/braun_hogenberg.html
granted, a lot of what's there is more flavour than really useful map, but it gives the character of a city

Did a quick search for this and came up with 6 nice pathfinder city maps.
havocx42.aura.feralhosting.com/Pathfinder/Chronicles/PZO9215 City Map Folio.pdf

>those fucking docks
RRRAHRRLLG.

Okay Veeky Forums, time for maritime education:

>What is the purpose of docks?
To ensure that boats are safely at shore, and in a minor way to help embark and disembark stuff.
>What you need to take care about
Main winds, currents (including rivers) and tide
This mean you'll never have a 360° harbour unless you have masive levees everywhere, and that pontoons like that
>Why are pontoons a bad idea?
They are fragile, degrade quickly, are completely useless as soon as you have minor tides, are very expensive, and hard to maneuver into, not to mention almost impossible to maintain in some kind of soils.
>What did people use then?
Putting boats against a big dock on the shore, or using sand beaches to brink them back on solid ground (or using the tides to do the job for you), or simply putting boats at anchor or attaching them to giant piers and then using smallers boats to go ashore.
>Are fantasy docks absolutely unrealistic?
I guess you could see a similar structure in a delta with shallow waters and piloti houses. This is a very specific situation, however.

99,9% OF FANTASY MAPS GET DOCKS WRONG. IT IS INFURIATING.
How can I trust them on the rest when they do such basic errors in the areas I know?
Don't be like that, anons. Do your research.

Well shit, looks like this one wasn't published to .PDF.

Unless atlas or something else covers it. Also, fairly sure KoK moved on to it's own IP after it's canonicity in 3.5

Also, KoK has a published Ritual for lichdom in it, and vampirism as all are tried to this deity of death and a number of other cool PrCs and unique classes for that setting.
There's quite a bit of effot in that setting.

Tell me more about KoK, please. I'm not familiar with this setting.

Also thanks for the dump, OP. If captcha is giving you too much trouble, upload it to mega or something. Besides the archive thread will be very interested in it.

If you imagine a Greyhawk in the early medieval period with 110% human-centricity, where the geographical-geological details have been well researched, where in a small village tavern you aren't going to find elves, dwarves and humans rubbing shoulders (because by and large they don't get on very well) also add in numerous nation state wars occurring in the current time line then you have an approximate idea of what Kalamar is, I.E very compelling.

Forgot to mention, don't expect to find 'magic shops' that sort of thing in KoK is virtually non existent.

OP here. I agree with I believe that Hobgoblin was a playable race. Slavery was also a thing. It seemed more gritty than a forgotten realms setting, which I liked.

On a side note, the city Maps are all pretty terrible the more I look at them. They all look the same to one degree or another. Maybe that's why the store owner who was closing up shop for God gave it to me for free; he knew it was lame. I'll see about using imgur but it'll have to wait until I get home. But anyone have better maps for cities or towns? Even villages?

Unfortunately yes, you have been given in many's opinion the weakest product in the KoK line, if on the other hand you'd received the KoK atlas you would have presented with a book of pure art, with the level of detail very similar to looking at a real world atlas.

You know New World from Overlord? A good chunk of it is from the KoK setting, some FR and other bits, shitloads of interesting unique deities varied over culture and race, hobgoblins given the time to shine and the Necromancers are all objectively evil-er than other D&D settings and it's cool because they've a reward system for literally "Hey, want to become a Lich, but instead a Skeleton Lich and not a Lich if you didn't pay the souls to our dark lord, a vampire, wraith or a shitload of other intersting undead, use the fucking base game skills for actual decent roleplaying function such as hiding spells in casual conversation to surprise cast a foe which is something canon in FR but forgotten about, and a whole lot of other really neat stuff?

Like, there's a lot of stuff in KoK worth glossing over.

also, it's fucking HYGE

Also, there's a god a slavery and a slave nation, and the setting has a Female unnamed overdeity who came up with the brilliant idea of faking her death in a divine rebellion so she could sneak off to the sidelines and have a fucking laugh seeing how the other deities took their time to manage creation.

So they've got a playful CN version of Ao. Also includes magical dancer necromancer classes, a good dancer class, and again, better applications of skill checks, and such.

Anyhow, I think the humans are in the GLORIOUS ROME period, so things are sort of Overlord/G.A.T.E civilization-wise, they've got unique cleric domains and SHITLOADs of Gods, all with
different names, churches, heresies, over cultures and landmasses, and fucking PC job professions, bake that goddanmed bread! Also, the fucking starting professions and ways you can customize a character pretty much do away with mary-sue horseshit presented in the campaign setting, you can really set a down to-earth PC clearly a part of the world.

But seriously, it's worth looking into for the spells, and stuff added that set's it apart from other settings really, there's a lot of hidden gems in there.

Oh, and the Death necrogod is the Reaper, they've literally got a god for ((Horrific cannibalistic debauchery ran by elites and pedophilia)) !notNurgle and a god of slavery in there for their evil gods, but I'd say a jewel of the setting is the Hobgoblins, and two or three half-races they added.

OH RIGHT, AND THAT FUCKING ANTI-ELF PELINEL KING, AND THIS GOLDEN DRAGON WHO RUNS A BENEVOLENT DICTATORSHIP THAT IS SO GOOD, THE ONLY THREAD TO JUSTIFY IT'S RULE BEIGN WRONG IS THAT IT'S IMPOSING ITSELF ON HUMAN CULTURE, EVEN THOUGH IT'S KINGDOM IS A PARADISE LIKE, IT'S THE MOST POORLY WRITTEN THING EVER, ACCOUNTING FOR IT BEING A GOLD FUCKING DRAGON PRESENTED AS ANYTHING BUT GOOD BECAUSE OF THIS SINGLE GRIPE in book with Villian uiniqe feats and even ANTI-Feats, which is really-really cool.

So, like they deserve, the elves in this game are hated, and this king who hates them is literally a goddanmed Paragon of Zarus Worship, if said deity were accounted for in that setting, that is.

I love the detail and realistic plate tectonics and how the ocean currents flow and language families and where they speak what but I hate it when they then just do one or even half a continent.
I know that players will wonder what lies beyond the edge of the map and most dms are not going to make anything near as detailed or consistent as the rest of the setting.

Like, I really have to fucking nail in how NICE and kind hearted this Golden Dragon is for somehow being put in the fucking Villian Design Handbook, it's that much of a red herring because it's drawn in the book depicted next to Super King Pelinal as if the author was trying to convey that somehow, this GOLDEN FUCKING DRAGON Is Evil, now the king has a slight policy regarding Elves in this little war issue and elves being second-class citizens because his predecessor snuffed it defending his birthright from the knife-earred faggots because the war was caused because "Muh trees" and it's stilling going on, and next to this the amity against the elves increasing because there are many nobles and citizens that share this viewpoint, ut the thing is, THEY'RE FUCKING ELVES THAT LIVE FOR HUNDREDS OF YEARS WITH THE MOST TIGHT CULTURAL, RELIGIOUS AND RACIALLY TIED UNITY FUCKING KNOWN so how in the goddanm can a person GOING TO WAR WITH THEM THAT THEY STARTED (I think) Even presume "yep, my current elf citizenry will surely harbour loyalty to their country and crown and in no way prove to be a massive issue for the war effort or anything else like that." like, seriously, there's a massive issue of their longevity simply not beign accounted for.

The bigger red herring is the image itself, THEY'RE FUCKING APPREHENDING A GOLDEN FUCKING DRAGON EGG THIEF WHO IS CLEARLY IN THE WRONG. Which only attests to the authors bias or something because last time I smashed a Golden Dragons Eggs in Neverwinter Nights, that Alignment of mine Shifted so goddamed low, you know, because Golden Dragons are Honey-suckled sweet sounding cottage grandmothers with twiddly twirly lovely whiskers that are kind, pure and loving to the maximum degree and are a paragon of goodness next to literally being the fucking cover dragons of a prestige class that allows them to become quasi-deities.

Somehow, the Villians Handbook sees a GOLDEN DRAGON as THIS SETTINGS HITLER.

GOLDEN
DRAGON

Oh right, yeah, the reason a Benevolent Dictator GOLD DRAGON is Literally Hitler is because "Cultural appropriation". Despite the fact that this entire venture is the result of simple humans doing the smart thing of immediately prostrating themselves before a dragon whose lair they stumbled onto and sort of getting a little to scared of dragons in a general sense, allowing this to happen in the first place, which has done nothing but benefit them since, and literally build utopia.

Infact, later on in KoK it's mentioned just how awesome this Dragons Country is, it's literally so good, people could not even conceptually fathom anyone wanting to leave. Opposed to King Pelinel who's a utopian making sacrifices and hard choices with a little bit of prejudice, this shit isn't even a blip on the radar.

Except for the fact the writer (whom I know well from the campaigns he's ran for an online group) isn't presenting the dragon as a villain in the 'hooded claw' sense of the word. That whole chapter is intended to run the gamut of alignments from LG to CE and provide example archetypes as to why that 'villain' could be considered an antagonist toward the party.

Yikes

Huh. Storytime immediately, this sort of thing is as important as Ed Greenwoods Archived Candlekeep forum posts.