/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Legendary noncreature, nonplaneswalker permanents edition! (Yes, for those not keeping up, all planeswalkers are legendary now, including those printed in the past.)

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

thesaurus.com
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05
clintcearley.deviantart.com/art/Time-Spiral-MTG-665596179
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Reposting to double-check balance.

I think for the cost of the second ability, you could just as well search your entire library for a legend and it should be fine.

Mutant cockroach. Hmm, I should probably add Mutant to his types.

I like this, though I'm not sure what color fits the second ability. I was looking for it the other day and found it in several colors (including green).

> I should probably add Mutant to his types.
probably

"~ deals 1 damage to each attacking creature."
Also, use the colorless mana symbol if you can instead of the generic one for the mana ability. Pretty strong overall.

Would Dredge be able to abuse this? I'm not even sure, I don't play Eternal format MtG. It feels like it's abusable. It's really cool though.

I feel like this could actually be cheaper. Or at least easier to cast, like 3R.

Stiffler's Mom jokes? Really user? I chuckled.

Hot mess incoming. I don't think you can even do this, since "outside the game" usually refers to sideboard cards only. But I thought it was cool anyway.

The ability seems to go in Black, Red, and Green. I think there's actually a three-card cycle from one of the Alara sets of three mono creatures with that effect.

>card
Sorry, dunno how to judge this.

Uh... let's try...
>Each player exiles any number of cards he or she owns from outside the game in a face-down pile and shuffles that pile.
>If a player would draw a card, that player may instead put the top card of the pile he or she exiled with ~ into his or her hand.
I'm pretty sure that's right. Wording drawn from Mangara's Tome and Shared Fate. Mostly the former.

Boo, that's no fun. Importing whole libraries is where it's at! So I have to ask; with this worded the way it is, it still only ever pulls 15 cards (your sideboard) right?

> Would Dredge be able to abuse this?
Perhaps, though I'm not making my set considering Dredge much. There are a few cards from my set on the previous thread (with the keyword Fallout) that could be more abused by Dredge than this.

> Stiffler's Mom jokes? Really user?
Sorry, couldn't resist haha

> The ability seems to go in Black, Red, and Green.
Seems weird to be in Red and Green, specially Red. Ironically, I've made a Red card with this ability on my set, so i can't really complain.

Not to be a total dick, but... I'm pretty sure my wording works, and yours doesn't.

>So I have to ask; with this worded the way it is, it still only ever pulls 15 cards (your sideboard) right?
"Any number" implies no upper bound. Each player may choose to exile zero to however that many cards that player owns outside the game. In games played with a sideboard, the cards in the sideboard are considered to be the only cards you own outside the game, so yes. In games without a sideboard however, you could exile every card you own that wasn't in your deck when you started the game. The same is true for any cards that reference cards outside the game.

Okay so it works how I thought. And no you aren't being a dick, how would I assume that? The joking tone really didn't translate in my "boo" comment? Really? I know inference of tone can be hard through text but I really couldn't see someone taking that statement as anything but a joke. Which is why I asked about your wording. You're good dude. I'll change it up. I honestly didn't think my wording worked but I did make it a go at it through Oracle text research.

More Dorohedoro.

>Seems weird to be in Red and Green, specially Red.
Not him, but a quick search makes it look like the ability is primary in Black, secondary in Green, and tertiary in Red.

>haha
No offense, but, do you have a tic or something?

Tried to make this as useful as possible without going too far. New Blood I think is interesting for changing creature types.

Well, ah... I hope the thread's still alive tomorrow.

>card
P/T decreased by 1/1 since last version.

I like the idea of a Necrotic Ooze land, but the Grandeur could probably be better. You might be able to get away with making it tutor a basic land.

I think it's a bit better at 3/3 considering the utility.

I used to love the Hack cards back in the day, so the idea of a repeatable one is pretty tempting. I dunno if it should cantrip though.

An already decent body with a serious penalty for killing it. I think it might need to be a touch more expensive to cast?

>No offense, but, do you have a tic or something?
Yeah, sort of. I pick up some chatting habbits from other people, got this "haha" thing from someone. I usually mix it with other "laughs" but that is the only one that works both in my language (which is from where the habits come) and in english, so that is why I over use it in english. Its like a phase thing. Probably sometime (weeks, months) I will drop this and pick something else.

This seems pretty OP, since it already adds 1 colorless mana on its own and doesn't enters the battlefield tapped. I think it should either enters the battlefield tapped or not have the colorless ability. This card is really strong with drawback lands (that add 2+ mana but have some big non-active drawback).

I would go for something like:
> T: Add 1 to your mana pool.
> Exile a land card from your graveyard: Until end of turn, CARDNAME has all activated abilities from the exiled card.
> Grandeur - *the same*

Interesting and clever. I like it.

Cool. I like suicidal black cards that seeks power.

Im looking for a good name to my ixalan card with a undead pirate on the art, here is what i currently have
>Unstoppable adventurer
>Unstoppable explorer
>Unstoppable sea dog
>Unstoppable discoverer
you also may give your ideas in similiar style

Post the card.

I'm quite sure "explore" is an action, not a keyword you can just throw around. This means the card should be something like "When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, explore."

Sometimes when I'm looking for names, I use thesaurus.com . Also, I don't think "unstoppable" is a great choice for this guy. I could go with "Restless", because once you know him, he comes back (you stop him, then he goes back).

> Restless Explorer
> Restless Seeker
> Restless _______

I like "restless".

Forget the name, what about this design? UB, rare, and you'll be lucky to get a bear out of it? The worst part is that if you do, it negates the Undying. Remove Explore, keep Undying, and add some ability that involves removing +1/+1 counters. Maybe have it make Treasure.

Might as well post my own recurring Pirate.

No offense, but this guy won the "recurring undead pirate card design competition".

Don't see haste much in black now

Reposting from last thread with some modifications bases on user's advice.

To summarise the more here;

>wild hunt come from a plane that is slowly dying out
>send their riders out to other dimensions to steal resources and kidnap new members of the hunt
>Eredin is king of the hunt and leads the riders
>riders fly through the night sky on skeletal horses

So card theme is:
>Eredin summons his band of riders
>riders abduct new members into the band
>Eredin's ult: he sends his own astral projection to lead the charge

Haste is secondary in black, and has always been present when it comes to something that has just been reanimated. I think it fits well for the card, both mechanically, color-pie-wise and flavor-wise.

Though I would have the ability cost B instead of 1 colorless. Having it costless implies this could run on non-black decks.

Thanks. I still think that guy should continue to refine his own though.

Blighted Bat, Amonkhet, common. And in this article on the color pie by Wizards:

It's still secondary for Black.

I can change the cost to B.

Good idea. I think it will fit the flavor of treasures nicely too

Sorry man, but you'll still need another color for that second ability. Black does get some permanent-stealing effects, but it's pretty much always related to Vampires. Black can steal things from other zones, like taking cards out of graveyards and the hands of other players, but again, it's not so good at stealing things already on the battlefield.

Ritual of the machines

Actually... now that I think about it, I feel like this card would work so much better as a Vampire.

>I still think that guy should continue to refine his own though.
I gave my opinion for his card on Also, I think made some good points about it

If anything else comes into my mind, I will let user know

I thought he was red?

20 years old. A better example would've been Enslave, as it's more recent, but even then it's invalid since it was created for Planar Chaos and reprinted for New Phyrexia, both sets known for their color pie fuckery.

>I thought he was red?
user probably changed the name so we wouldn't be able to use the name as justification for a color.

See:
>Black can steal things from other zones, like taking cards out of graveyards
Like I said on the previous thread, you could turn the second ability into a revival: "0: Return a creature card with converted mana cost equal or less to the number of loyalty counters on this dude from a graveyard to the battlefield under your control" (recheck the wording, but its a good idea. Its the guy recruting new bitches to aid in his hunts)

HO HO HO
MERRY CRIMBO

Hmm, I'm surprised they don't tutor for the next one in sequence, like Rebels or something.

restless seeker seems best for me, like it
card isnt done yet, so thanks for advice
the idea with treasures isnt bad, but want him with double explore, also think about the meta and synergy, in standard players may use reanimate (forgot the name) creature with cmc 2, or use scarab god, that makes more value

>become a 6/6 then fight a creature
This doesn't turn Rita into a creature, so I don't think it can fight.

>double explore
Uh... you realize that if the creature gets a +1/+1 counter from Explore, Undying won't bring it back when it dies, right? If you just want an Explore engine on a creature, there are simpler ways to do it.

>Fallen Angel
>No Black.
???

yes i did, that's exactly what i expect

That's... an intriguing idea I hadn't thought of. I wanted each card to be it's own separate 'thing', but you may be on to something.

Semi-unrelated, are these broken?

Look at the various Gideons for the right wording to turn a planeswalker into a creature. It's quite wordy and unlikely to work on a 'walker with four abilities. Also, wrath on -2 with an option to repeat it later is probably too strong.

Predator, Flagship did it first but it's still cool.

this card is too powerful lol

Still bummed that Contraptions will never be a legit thing now because of Unstable.

Good riddance. Make the stupid meme die

It's not like we talked about them a lot in these threads. Personally, I always liked the idea that they were noncreature artifact tokens. Though I am glad that Wizards has run with that idea at least, with Clues and Treasures.

I wish they were more beefy auras

Is it your intention that this can be placed on a creature you don't control and you still get the cards from it?

Sure, I think the effect was neat with Tamiyo. And if they just stop attacking you paid 5 in two colors for a pacifism.

i'm sharing my old work

Fuck off to hearthstone with your pay 2 win garbage

Global rule 7

Sounds too complex. I would know a lot of these effects off:

>You may have CARDNAME enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield or in the command zone, except its a Sliver artifact in addition to its other types and has "Each other Slive you control has all activated abilities of this creature."

No need for it to be legendary (then you also don't need to keep its name). That gets rid of some unnecessary ruling there. No idea what is "Partner".

HOWEVER, this is how I would do a Sliver Replicator:

> Sliver Replicator
> 7, Artifact Creature - Sliver, 5/5
> Imprint - When Sliver Replicator enters the battlefield, you may exile a creature or artifact card from your hand.
> Each Sliver you control has all activated abilities of the imprinted card.

I think this version I just mentioned is a lot more cleaner and goes straight to the point.

Here, take $5 and chill

just sharing my work, mr officer

>No need for it to be legendary (then you also don't need to keep its name). That gets rid of some unnecessary ruling there. No idea what is "Partner".
Idea is Commander deck with a colorless Sliver and a WUBRG Sliver, both with Partner. Obviously having a hard time with execution.

You've got yourself some frog memes. I am very proud of you

thanks XD
posting my last card, also have nazi zombie token if someone wants

I like auras, I thought bestow was such a great mechanic. I like that card as well since even if you're being chump blocked you're still getting quite a good effect, and like you said it can be used as a pacifism, if a very overcosted one. Also slots into every Azorius/Bant voltron EDH ever

> Idea is Commander deck with a colorless Sliver and a WUBRG Sliver
I see

Wait, what would this actually do? I have a feeling it's overpowered.

might be, this card resolving target spell or ability that is on the stack, so when for example a spell would be countered, you just play (((time curvature))) and resolve it safely. But one thing should be explained: when you are resolving spell that has not illegal targets, it resolves but does nothing. If that card will be ever printed that should be explained on gatherer XD

Not mine, but I understood all it does is that it resolves a spell/effect on the stack despite of its original order in the stack.

This means:
> player A cast spell 1
> player B cast a counter spell on it (spell 2)
> player A cast this card (spell 3)
Spell 3 resolves first (because it was the last casted, then it triggers spell 1, making it resolve before spell 2. This means that the spell 1 gets resolved before the counter spell, and when finally the counter spell gets its chance, it gets self-countered because it has no longer a valid target (because the spell already resolved and left the stack).

That is how I think it works.

It's the same stack wars card hundreds of people have independently come up with for years now. It's just anti-counter tech.

>not illegal
i mean has illegal

exactly what he said

yeah, we typed at the same time. Our posts had 1 time apart from each other

m
e
m
o
r
y

i
s
s
u
e
s

Don't know why you would think this. Many mechanics started in unsets. Curses, meld, pacts, probably several more I xan't remwmber. Marks alresdy entertained the possibiloty of them being in black border, he just wants to see how the reception as they probably do something very novel. My current guess is they use outside items somehow that assemble somehow, maybe like the kaladesh thopter papercrafts.

Out of curiosity, do you play a computer card game i.e. something like hearthstone? This kind of effect is exactly the kind of space they play around in that isn't actually possible with real cards. Theres no feasible or reliable way to track each creature as it comes and goes and how much damage ir dealt before it left throughout the entire game from start to finish and all of that in a physical game.

If you play on paper you can note all the damage that was dealt by creatures

Notice i said feasible. That is not a real thing you can do. Next time you play a game, do it or try imagining doing it. You have to write down the creature, id there are multiples of the same one, how much damage each has done each turn, track whrn they die so you xan mark it, and you have to do all of this every turn. Thats absurd. Compare life which is a running total or hidden agendas which you note wlonce and only care about when its relevant. If you play a deck with that card, you have to track each and every creature from the beginning.

Game designer here. I don't see working on a real life card game. Hearthstone innovate with effects like this, but that is just not practical to track without a computer storing every move.

I guess I haven't been keeping up with Maro then. I remember he mentioned something like how one of the Un sets was planned to use poison counters, but he removed them because he thought that would be like admitting that poison counters can't work in black-border Magic.

Dorohedoro. Black Powder is created from the remains of magic-users, and it can increase the power of magic-users that use it, or even grant temporary magic powers to non-magic-users.

>card
Looks good. Flavor text is really weird though.

Art already in use. MTGO's reprint of Time Spiral.

clintcearley.deviantart.com/art/Time-Spiral-MTG-665596179

I'm here to shit up this place with my awful cards and no one can stop me.

Slightly changed the ping to be more flexible.

Meh, seems OK.

Deathrite 2.0?

Looks fun

It still taps for the land? That seems odd without green.

Shin and Noi again.

>It still taps for the land? That seems odd without green.
I thought it could work with Black. But I can take it out and try something else.

Fuuuck.

I mean one of his mantras is "today's unset mechanic is tomorrow's blackborder mechanic." Also, poison was in Unglued 2 before it was canned

It does work in black (deathrite was hybrid) though its a little sideways. Its basically tap, ritual. It doesnt make much sense on its own but in context (deathrite reference, needs to do something related to the exiled card) it works imo.

The difference between poison and the other stuff you mentioned is that the other stuff wasn't a mechanic before, then it got upgraded to black-border. For poison counters, it would've been a demotion. From serious to silly. Granted, it's a bit more fuzzy with contraptions, but still.