Is there such a thing of a setting that is "grimbright?"

Is there such a thing of a setting that is "grimbright?"
Like the people's struggle isn't hopeless, the world seems nearly idealic, at least when are in the right places, outside of these zones of comfort are horrible poison swamps, deadly jungles and desolate deserts, ocean depths with untold creatures lurking within.
Though despite all this the characters seem mostly cheerfully and live life the best they can, those that choose to go into the wildlands accept that it's their duty to do so, and go forth with a sense of adventure and exploration, rather than dread and punishment, at least before they've been traumatized by horrible swamp creatures and such, but hey, for the average non-adventurer it's a nice life, besides occasional pirate raids, but the pirates aren't necessarily out to kill people, mostly just knock out, or harm enough to make them not a threat while they take their stuff, and the adventurers are there to defend the towns anyway.

Are there any settings like that? Or anything sort of similar in concept? I always hear about noblebright, and grimdark and grimbright, but what of grimbright?

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.spacebattles.com/threads/the-last-angel.244209/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>"grimbright?"

That's a vacuous term.

Adventure Time

Is it really?

That's a good example, I never really thought about it, but I guess it pretty much that exact kind of setting. Though I was looking for less fantastical examples.

The Infinity setting is mostly like that.

Grimbright is fucking weird, basically you take any given super-bright setting and add miserable pricks.

Basically you play as a JRPG antagonist.

Adventure Time is still noblebright. The dark tones are part of the background but not the current setting. The characters still struggle and overcome and are individually capable of genuinely impacting and changing the world through their struggles. This is contrasted to the grimdark of, say 40k, where no matter how hard you fight you still end up a corpse in the bottom of a trench while the uncaring universe grinds on. Berserk is nobledark as the characters struggle and overcome but their actions only have a very localized effect in space and time. The greater course of causality remains unchanged, they simply continue to struggle against it like a stone in a river; holding on but ultimately unable to truly deny the river.

Grimbright is more like
Most have adventurous environments and settings ripe for shaping and control but the people are schmucks who are as much their own enemy as anything they encounter. "Saving the world" is more of a happy accident or consequence of the characters' struggle with themselves that rarely, if ever, sees them become something more than what they started out as.

To oversimplify:
Noblebright: Heroes in an adventurous world that can be changed by their actions.
Nobledark: Heroes in a bleak world that refuses to change.
Grimbright: An adventurous world that can be changed by heroes but there are no more heroes.
Grimdark: everyone dies alone and unremembered in cold and uncaring universe.

That's an odd definition. I was always under the impression that there is not more to it than that the suffix details the characters and the prefix the world, although any of these might be switched around, I'm not sure. It's usually implied by the setting itself.

You have it backwards. Prefix:characters suffix:world. It has always been this way since these terms developed as far as I've seen.

Got confused because OP uses the phrase grimbright, placing the 'grim' in the enviroment and the 'bright' in the characters.

I always thought that GrimBright is: World is great, the people are crap or beatiful terror

Well the setting wouldn't necessarily be grim in itself, only parts of it. It would more be a story of overcoming odds and carving out an existence from the powers of optimism and will to persist, and ending up quite comfy despite the terrors beyond your realm.

>Is it really?

Given the rest of the thread can't agree what it is, yes. Not everything needs to be a D&D style alignment grid.

Cast

Not Veeky Forums but the setting for FFXIV seems pretty grimbright. It generally has a pretty hopeful or out right cheery demeanor. But here is a lot of fucked up shit going on in the back ground, the world keeps spinning regardless..

Except adventure time is extremely clear that the actions of the main heroes are meaningless, and Finn gets nothing in return for his heroics. There’s just hope for the future despite the extremely dark world outside the few safe areas. Hell, look what happened to Billy too. Heroes get shit on.

So... Discworld?

Grim and dark are both supposed to be describing the same thing. This terminology fucking sucks.

Grimbright would be a world with hope and vibrancy where the actions of individual struggles don’t matter. Not that everyone is jerks.

Noblebright is defined by the ability of a hero to overcome a great evil. In grimdark the cruel world marches forward and everyone in it has lost hope that their actions mean anything.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles.

I'd say "Mirai Shonen Conan" it's the closest thing you're looking for.

thats basically any setting in with a destroyed world but an ideal city that somehow still survives protected by magic - or the reverse - an ideal world but with some horrible alien portal somewhere which holds treasures that makes people want to go in

I like that definition. Going by it, being less than well-off in a first-world country feels very grimbright. Everything is kinda fine, but there's nothing you can do about it and no way to influence future changes.

Pretty much Hunter x Hunter, or Grimgar if you want to stick to dungeon fantasy. If anything, those two are a bit more lethal than your vision but that's easily adjusted.

>Is there such a thing of a setting that is "grimbright?"
WE HAD THIS THREAD LIKE TWO FUCKING DAYS AGO
AND THE ANSWER WAS GIVEN RIGHT THERE

I think yuki yuna was like that. It had idealistic piece of civilization surrounded by roll for insanity at +90 bullshit outside. And In the face of impending doom, overwhelmingly impossible odds of success and constant lose, character struggle and overcome despair, doing their best driven only by hope.

This does sound like Exalted to an extent.

forums.spacebattles.com/threads/the-last-angel.244209/

You got that backwards. Noble settings change for the better, geim settings do not. Lord of the Rings is noble dark. Starts off with evil making a rise before the heroes stop it.

GrimBright would be any setting that starts off happy but it's getting worse and there is nothing anyone can really do to stop it.

I'd classify Tokyo Jungle as grimbright. Not a traditional game, but the setting. The world is fucked by some unknown catastrophe and all human seem to be dead, but CUTE.

An island paradise setting where life is amazing but every single year global water levels rise an inch and everyone knows someday they will all drown but they are okay with that would be GrimBright.

HunterXHunter

So made in abyss?

One of my favorite parts of the game is Limsa being this, beautiful, cheery port town. You almost forget it's basically supposed to be Detroit with pirates.

SkyLand.

The grim and noble parts don't specifically state if the change is good or bad, only if it's possible or not that a few individuals change something. Grimbright is a setting where things are good and they probably will remain like it, but characters will never accomplish anything that is significant to that world.

You are describing "nobledark". Grimbright is the exact opposite, a world like pic related: shiny and full of assholes.

>grimbright
like mirror's edge?
>Beautiful shiny cities
>Seemingly utopian world free of crime
>Most disease cured
>Also an oppressive nanny state with omnipresent surveillance
>Feudalistic postcyberpunk world where corporations literally own the population at large
>Most people don't actually mind the way the world is.

One opinion

It sounds like the grim/noble axis has to do with world interaction and the dark/bright axis has to do with the overall tone.
I'll start with a simple setting and try to adapt it for each. Let's say a village next to some woods, and the woods are filled with wolves.
in a grimbright setting You might become a wolf hunter, growing rich from your exploits, but there will always be wolves in the woods. You can protect your town or heal injured and generally live a happy life. Perhaps you can even tame some of these wolves and gain a joyful companion. But you must always be careful, because there will always be wolves in the woods.

Grimdark is the sinister twist. The wolves come from the woods. Night is their time and they kill and they take. No matter how many you slay there are always wolves in the woods. You can save some but not all, because there are always more wolves in the woods. Everything is tinged by it, to love someone is to be afraid for them, to hate someone is to wish the wolves on them. To be happy is a moment when you are safe from the wolves, but you cannot be happy for long, because there will always be wolves in the woods.

Noblebright is a radical difference. there is a town next to some woods, and there are a lot of wolves there. If they are dangerous it is because something is wrong and it's up to you to go fix that problem. It will take bravery and hope and a bit of luck but you can make the woods safe again.

Nobledark. There is a dark forest filled with vicious beasts. The town is tormented and in need of a savior. You must enter this dark place and rid it of evil. It will be painful, it will be scary, it may be the end of some of you, but it can be done, and it must be done.

Grimbright: Corruption roams, but cannot touch the resting places of heroes

Scarred Lands; the world is incredibly fucked up as a result of the war between the Gods and their Titan progenitors, the scars of which are literally everywhere - the high elves lost their racial god and all of their children and have been cursed to sterility, an entire sea has become polluted with the mutagenic blood pouring from the wound of a Titan buried in its depth, the former cradle of humanity has been reduced to a disease-riddled and poisonous swamp.

And yet... things are getting better, and things will continue to get better so long as people keep striving to make it so.

Grimbright is when the wolves are the good guys.

Hunter x Hunter's world is pretty dark, not Bright.

But how would you classify the fotm Doki Doki Literature Club?

different user here
So would a campaign where you play as the last forces of evil in a near perfect world, in which you are fated to lose, be grimbright?

Is the anime overlord grimbright?

I always considered Borderlands 'grimbright'

That campaign would be noblebright.

If you play as the last forces of good in a near perfect but rotten and corrupt world, in which you are fated to lose, then you would have grimbright at hand.

Nobledark? Assuming you get the true ending.
Where Sayori thanks you for managing to find a way to spend time with everyone.This is serious spoilers ahead if you haven't played.And their character files aren't deleted by Monika shutting everything down at the end.

ah thanks, I get it now.

Well any of the noblebright-grimdark worlds have an expectation of exhaggerated features regardless IMO.

A subversion of noblebright.