/edhg/ - EDH/Commander General

Storm Abrewin' Edition.

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

Thread question: How strict is your group about stuff like missed triggers and retapping mana?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mikaeus-extreme-sub-20-budget-edh/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-frogs/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Would still like to hear suggestions

Who do I play if I want to constantly boardwipe and make the battlefield an unlivable toxic sludge of death and decay?

>Thread question: How strict is your group about stuff like missed triggers and retapping mana?

My playgroup has a system where you can take things back as long as:
>No other player had to choose something
>No player has revealed other cards from a hidden zone (other meaning besides the spell you're taking back, for instance)
>No player has drawn a card

There's the obvious room for abuse from either end, like trying to test the water for counterspells by playing something and then taking it back, or revealing your hand just to try and "lock" someone into a bad move, but nobody in my group is that much of a twat.

Missed triggers are set to "very forgiving".

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mikaeus-extreme-sub-20-budget-edh/

How many people do you think have made this deck by now, and how much has it driven up the price of Mikaeus?

Child of Alara?

Just bought into Yisan combo with an elf ball sub-theme, it's very explosive and a ton of fun! Why did nobody tell me mono green was this fun!?

We thought you knew user ;)

Any other Inalla players here?
My decks average CMC is around 3.2 and I'm only playing 35 lands already because there's so much good shit to run. How do you manage getting enough mana to actually start cloning crap?
I usually play my first Wizard turn 3 and then can't clone it yet, but also have trouble not only making room for mana rocks but also just adding more, since I already run 6 of them as well as Urza's Incubator and Horn of the Herald.

I'll make it. seems kinda competitive for a 20$ deck

>a 20$ deck

Not anymore.

it's still 24$ for everything in my country :)

Is EDH a format in which you can build a semi- or competitive deck without spending 500$+ like modern or legacy?

Just how much are they pricing Mick at?

Yes but it'll probly get boring fast, just build Mikaus combo of you wanna win for cheap.

10 $ in eu.

Does Monarch Marchesa work w door of destinies to make you the monarch? (No judge thread atm)

Why is mono white considered the worst?

Are you sure you mean Door of Destinies?

Lack of card advantage and a lack of powerful commanders. Red shares a lot of the problems White has, but Red has shit like Daretti.

Zurgo or angry baby

conjurers closet and yes

and it's not that good in a marchesa deck desu

It makes you the monarch but you don't get to draw a card on the same turn, making it kind of pointless

>Thread question: How strict is your group about stuff like missed triggers and retapping mana?
You are allowed to take something back as long as you catch it quickly. If it goes past your turn you cant take it back

No card draw and lack of meaningful tutors. Your basically stuck playing sram in mono white because he ia the only thing in white that gices consistant card draw

>legacy
>$500

I fucking wish

Extremely lenient, we have tried cracking down on it but all it resulted in was super slow play because it makes people have to plan out their entire turn in advance.

Retapping mana before any variables have changed is fine. Missed triggers I almost always say "go ahead", even if it is a may.

I don't like takebacks when they just miss something in a public zone. Though, I allow people to take back anything that would more or less do nothing and is easy to rewind (Krosan gripping something that is indestructible for example).

mono red burn is cheaper than $500.

Also boring as fuck, but that wasn't a requirement from what I can see.

When someone decides to retap his lands when casting something, before anyone else has responded to it at all or before it hit the field, we're usually fine with it. Also usually let forgotten triggers be done afterwards, unless they'd be too much of a hassle to redo.

Even stuff like someone forgetting to play a land, we usually let slide and let them play one right after passing.

Particular about triggers that affect the opponents but not them. Can't say how many times I've had gitrog monster out and was reminded I need to sac a land but had spells rushed out when kaervek was on the battlefield and wouldn't say what the CMC of the spell was. Untapping lands is fine by me but what also gets on my nerves is X spells. Too many people try putting more in because they misread the boardstate or try to decrease how much mana was poured in when its countered
>tfw you are playing a $300 legacy deck and manage to put in the work

I'm getting into EDH, and it's a ton of fun. Putting together new decks is great and my binder has been slowly growing. Thing is I'm pretty much spending sticker price on everything. Especially when I'm buying a ton of cards. Where do you guys get cards cheap? I keep my eye on tcgplayer and Ebay, but there are rarely good deals. Do you use Facebook groups or do you just pick stuff up cash from other players? Coming from Yugioh, I've notice most players will price their stuff at TCGmid if its cash, which kind of defeats the purpose of getting a deal. How do you get your cards?

X spells are most often the things I end up overspending on, like a Green Sun's Zenith for way more than I needed to because I didn't want to sit there thinking for 3 minutes.

>TCGmid if cash
Where the hell do people do that? Why wouldn't you just buy from TCG instead then?

Also, if you are in EU, the cheapest option is always MagicCardMarket

I do it. It is a fair price on the card and you get it now and don't have to deal with shipping.

I buy a box of every set and sealed product and trade away standard stuff. If I can't find a card in anyone's binder or at my shops, I order online.

It's really annoying that TCGmid is the standard. If I went on tcgplayer, I could but from 20 different people at a lower price. People seem to value the cards more than cash, which is strange to me. In Yugioh people are expected to give discounts if cards are being traded in cash. If you buy lots of cards, the discounts can be generous. I'm in the US, so I can't ship from overseas. It's really frustrating. There seems to be no cheap way to get cards, everyone wants sticker price.

I used to "give deals" to people, but since I traded with the same people regularly, it just meant my collection diminished over time for no real reason.

I'd rather just hold onto the cards if people are hoping to get a deal out of me. I'm not strapped for cash and I love having bulk cards. People love tearing away at my stuff and I usually am the one trying to find fair trades. I only ever suggest cash if I literally can't find anything in their binder I want.

It's relative.

At a low and mid-low budget, monowhite is playable because most things are efficient, you can get a lot of powerful cards on the cheap, and it tends to be very strong 1v1, but not threatening enough to draw a table of aggro in a craw-wurm meta. People haven't quite figured out mana curves and draw-ratios so you can usually make out fine if you're more experienced than your opponents.

At mid budget, monowhite is unplayable because now you're getting into things like Kruphix and 3-colour goodstuff decks that just shit out value. While you can win with monowhite, it requires significant investment into an artifact suite that would objectively be stronger in monoblue or monored for a similar budget due to the natural artifact synergy. As soon as you face a discard deck, or a counterspell.dek you're going to have a bad time unless you've spent much more money than your opponent.

At mid-high to high budget, monowhite is pretty good again. You can bust out things like Konda voltron, Sram 0-cost equipment tribal or Hokiri stax. While powerful, these strategies are often lack-luster in a meta with traditional big budget choices, but if you're determined enough it'll work. At this stage in the game, while you can play these decks against lesser-budget decks, they're often unsatisfying to play against, and a major buzz-kill. You could probably just build Brago for 1/4th the budget and it will preform almost as well.

At 100%, monowhite doesn't have any cEDH viable commanders. Period. Nothing in monowhite is good enough to warrant discussion about it. You could build colourless Elesh Norn or something, but at that point, you might as well run Jin Gitaxias or Arcanis for access to way better tech. You can build a deck to max budget standards, but it's not going to be able to compete with Zur doomsday or Tazri foodchain. Even things like Teferi stasis will completely blow you out.

For GSZ you only really need to have X=9 so you can grab whatever you want. Also forgot to add when X spells are taken back because it didn't kill everything gets on the nerves
Lack of proper card draw outside of artifacts or sram. White does have arguably the best removal in EDH especially with access to the 2 1 drops removals

I understand no one wants to give stuff away. But if a card is $23, asking for $20 cash isn't unreasonable. I've had people tell me that their card is $1.42 cash. What. I do not carry pennies on me nigga.

I usually do that because I want to get half a dozen of random bulk rares on top.

After all, true, 3 bucks ain't shit, but free cards. I'll fucking take an Archangel's Light for free.

Other than a few staples I really have no excuse for not having already picked up by now (Strip Mine, Glacial Chasm), every card I can think of that might improve the deck is at least $10. Got any budget-friendly suggestions?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-frogs/

Squandered Resources is insane, especially if you chain it with a Splendid Reclamation. It's under $5 too.

Also Creeping Renaissance, but it's probably not worth a slot without Azusa/Oracle of Mul Daya/Exploration.

let's say I have just a strip mine and a glacial chasm. What does the rest of the frog god deck looks like?

HERALD OF LESHRAC HOLY FUCK.

That's some next level dickass spice right there user.

Nissa, Vital Force.

As in a budget build?
Make sure you have Splendid Reclamation and Ramunap Excavator. Then lots of ramp and extra land-per-turn cards like Explore and Summer Bloom. Use Worm Harvest as a wincon and include a handful of removal.

yeah,budget possibly

Herald of Lesharc is way too slow.

Depends on so many factors.

The best part of Leshrac is that he costs mostly colourless mana so you can ramp into him early in magical christmas land. Good in Gitrog? Maybe. Good in Mazirek? Unbelievably. Good in mimeoplasm? Most definitely.

What do you think of labman + dream halls in a deck like unesh?

What are some reusable weenie crushers? Things like Pyrohemia or Elesh Norn that just hose things with

If you want to be that guy that wins with labman, use a better commander
If you want to play Unesh, use evasive beaters and control as your wincon

Dont know what to build, need a cheap fun dek that does not get boring fast, not competitive but not unplayable either, if at all possible

So if you have red Neheb out and I cast a Fireball for 20 targeting one guy who has 19 life, then copy it targeting another guy who has 18 life, they both die to it, does Neheb give me all that mana or do they no longer exist after death therefore those opponents aren't there to give me that mana? And beyond that, does life go negative? So if I hit someone for 50 and they only have 10 life, do I get 50 mana after or 10? Or 0 if they cease to exist etc.

You get all the mana. Life can go negative, so I believe you get 40 mana in the first example, 50 in the second

From Gatherer:
If an opponent loses life and subsequently loses the game before your postcombat main phase, Neheb’s last ability counts that loss of life.

Not sure of the implication here.

Queen Marchesa

A) The game will track life loss regardless of whether the opponents who lost it still exist. You'll get 40 R.

B) Yes, life can go into the negatives. You'll get mana equal to the amount of life lost, even below 0.

Mairsil if you like janky combos. I built him for ~50 USD and he's pretty nonlinear and fun.

Should the rules state that you're not allowed to scoop in response to fatal damage being pointed at you?

Drop of Honey/Porphyry Node. The Abyss and Magus of the Abyss. Those will eventually eat big guys though. Reverence won't kill them but it will protect you. Juntu Stakes functions rather similarly. Champion of Lambholt? Caltrops, Lightmine Field, Powerstone Minefield, and Aether Flash also come to mind

I'm sorry, but what combo?

was thinking about him too, what are his cheap combos? or is there a site to see all of them? dont know how to get around his only once clause

IMO it's poor sportsmanship to use a metagame action to have an in-game result on a game you are ceasing to be a competitor in, but I feel that it's the sort of thing that, if multiplayer EDH were sanctioned, would go to DCI floor rules, not game rules. Which, for an unsanctioned format, leaves us with "Talk the behavior over with your playgroup".

If and when WotC sanctions a multiplayer format I'd like to see player persistence in said floor rules.

>tfw you traded foe some cards you though were cool even though you have no deck for them yet
Just you wait. My Sorceress Queen deck's gonna be lit af.

>how to get around his only once clause
Quicksilver Elemental gives you an extra copy of every ability you get him, including itself. You can also play attack of the clones with a haste enabler on board and Myr Propogator or Pack Rat caged. Mirror Gallery is recommended and fun, but not necessary.

thanks, will work on a list right now

>I swing at you for lethal
>then I cast Turnabout and Reiterate with buyback targeting Turnabout
>I let the copy resolve and untap my lands
>then I cast Reiterate with buyback targeting Turnabout
>I let the copy resolve and untap my lands
>etc.
>you're not allowed to scoop until I'm finished :^)

>playgroup gives the OK on unofficial commanders
>excited to finally have a good use for my foil tamanoa
>really fun EDH group meetup, my tamanoa deck is a ton of fun
>lose the first three games, but don't even notice because i'm having a great time
>fourth game, finally get my combo
>play tamanoa, aetherflux reservoir, and a few little spells in a single turn
>pay 50 life to activate aetherflux to kill a player and gain that 50 life back
>"I scoop in response"
>i'm at 2 now
>lose before my next turn

am i wrong for being a bit miffed? sure, he had every right to do that, but it still feels shitty to lose to a spitescoop.

git gud

run stuff like eidolon or sulfuric vortex and similar stuff, you gotta be able to throw cards at them in response too

no

i was the tamanoa player

???
Monarch says you draw during end step so you do get to draw on the same turn, yes

Why not just rule that in multiplayer games, if there's spells or abilities on the stack, a player remains a valid target until they resolve even if he informally leaves the game by scooping in response?

Thread question

If they remember during the phase then yes and occasional takes backsies

All players pass priority from the second main phase causing the end step to begin
Beginning of the end step, all related effects trigger
Conjurer's Closet triggers and goes on the stack targeting Marchesa
It resolves, Marchesa gets flickered, Marchesa's ETB goes on the stack
It resolves, you become the Monarch
Monarch does nothing because the beginning of the end step has already happened

We generally let people correct their mistakes. We're pretty casual even though some of my friends are knowledgable and more skillfull.

also pls tips for a mana heavy monocommander that's not green?
I play GW selvala but it feels like monogreen

neheb makes like 20+ mana the turn after he comes down if he survives

No, you're not. Scooping out of spite because you're going to lose is horrible sportsmanship.

Neheb do look intersting, and I own him already as well.
Thanks for the suggestion user.

that's disgusting. your ""friend"" was being a dick. just lose.

I'll get a SR, looks like fun. Creeping Renaissance seems unnecessary, the deck rarely has trouble recurring lands.

Ooh, a personal Horn of Greed

Would Vorinclex be a good addition? I'm certainly not going to spend dosh on him before at least getting an Oracle, Dust Bowl, and maybe a Lake of the Dead, but he looks like fun. I love the idea of messing with opponents' lands and incorporating more stax elements.

Actual since both of them happen at the beginning of the end step, you can stack the effects however you want. They still both happen at the beginning.

If you're not the Monarch at the beginning of the end step, there's no trigger to stack. Go read up on how triggers work.

Maybe you should read up on how triggers work

the monarch trigger doesn't go on the stack if you're not the monarch

the beginning of the end step only happens once

Vorinclex is okay. He's a bit win-more, but if you can Entomb/Reanimate him early, he's back breaking. He's getting a reprint in Iconic Masters so the price should go down.

Should I run Invoke Prejudice in my deck? It's heavy blue counterspells

if you have one, sure

it's a fun little stax card, just real pricey

I'm playing commander in our office league, playing Red/White/Blue.

How can I make this card work?

this commander is pure evil. just look up decklists

Fractured Identity is really good. Exile one of your own "gifts" and share it with everyone.

What's especially fun about this combo is that Form of the Dragon will revert to your control after the die, so you just need a way to bring back Bronze Bombshell and you can keep doing it.

bronze bombshell isn't actually that great in the deck
>7 mana, deal 7 damage to target player
it's only marginally better than fireball to the face for 7 mana, and that's not a good play at all

It's abusable.

>the turn after he comes down if he survives
Why not do it the turn you drop him? He doesn't need to attack.

because you need a decent amount of mana to invest during your first main phase to get the most out of him in your second main phase

unless you've got a shitton of artifact mana, but loading the deck up with that makes him a little inconsistent

yeah, in a very similar way to fireball

not very well and for a lot of mana