What would happen if multiple liches had the same object as their phylactery?

What would happen if multiple liches had the same object as their phylactery?

Alhood is technically multiple liches.

It doesn't work that way.

Well a phylactery is a soul box, so if multiple folks stuck their souls in one phylactery it would probably produce a single lich who is either a messy amalgamation of multiple souls, or a dozen pilots license n one car seat.

That's what you get by legalizing gay marriage.

Legion

Simple, they become an all together new lich, who in turn gets to make their own phylactery. If that lich picks one of the original liches, I'm pretty sure all the liches linked in the phylactery are unkillable.

You cannot have two souls in one place m8
t.Homhas Aquinas

Depends on your setting because in some lore the lich teleports victims into its phylactery and consumes their soul.

Maybe a plot hook for a super lich that used the bonded souls to become super lich. If you want to make stuff up, then just say it's a pact.

It would be extremely painfull

depends on the setting

>One lich goes around hunting others to stick into his phylactery
>He wants to become a super lich
>Party mistakes him as a good lich and starts to help
>In the end he becomes a super lich and the party now either fights him or becomes his permanent lieutenants
I'd run/play it

The object would have to be pretty fucking strong to house so many powerful souls.

Maybe a handful of adamantine holocron like devices inside an adamantine golem?

I had a BBEG that was similar, it wasn't liches' phylacteries, it was the spirits of defeated rivals, but its close enough.

I'd just say that the object counts as the phylactery for all of the liches, and destroying it destroys all of them. What reason could they possibly have for doing that, though?

Like same object or same looking object?

Their souls become room mates.

I'd watch that sitcom.

They take century-long shifts babysitting it

>Two liches designate eachother as their phylactries
>They then decide to move to opposite sides of the planet, each forging their own evil empires
>If one of them dies, he'll be regenerated as long as the other is still alive
>You have to kill both of them at the same time to truly stop them
>Meaning you need to be in two places at the same time

The one case when one really unlucky adventuring party arrives as one of the Liches has just been killed.

This can be prevented by getting more Lich friends!
Lich 1 is a phylactry to Lich 2
Lich 2 is a phylactry to Lich 3
[...]
Lich 11 is a phylactry to Lich 12
Lich 12 is a phylactry to Lich 1

It's fool proof! You need a really dedicated, really prepared, really specialized and really fucking OP party to take down all 12 of them at once when they're all over the planet (and perhaps entirely different planes of existence)!

>First, before my daughters
>I saw Alzok lead her sisters through the eye
>Saying, death will be our coven

>With black fire and gray blade
>Gornuk consecrated their singing
>They cut their deaths away

>To Zyrok I said
>Show me the place where you have hidden your death
>I am Oryx, your lord

>Oryx, my lord, she said
>We have hidden our deaths in each other
>So that we will never be alone

That object becomes a powerful evil artifact

MAD. The liches were once a group of powerful wizards who saw each other as their biggest threat. They all wanted the amplification of power that lichhood would give them, but none of them committed because that would put a target on their back and they would be killed by the other wizards. Then they just agreed to use the same phylactery, guaranteeing that they would be safe from each other.

It would create an artifact like Crenshinibon.