/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Trove:
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/:
Players of /5eg/, do your characters court NPCs? DMs, do you allow your players to get waifus for themselves?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/yqjLO6YNKV0?t=180
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

My current character is married so yes? Also even when the character isn't yes

Not anymore than it is using GWM/CBE/etc or a well-built caster.

no that feels weird

My character is married with children.

However, the marriage is loveless, and the spouse on another continent, so if someone asks...

My current character has a husbando, and my last one had a waifu. Both were picked up over the course of the campaign, and there was a love triangle one time that ended up as a 3 way relationship.

Only one more month until everyone in the world is playing a hexblade/paladin, you excited?

as a DM I allow courting, but it's usually fade to black after a certain point. As a player, I had a Noble warlock who was in love with a noble from another house that we were "hostile" to. I wrote letters to her on a regular basis, and the Dm (a total bro) wrote back. It actually was a good plot hook at one point, alluding to an evil wizard making political plays in the city. (She also was being courted by another noble in my absence). was very cool.

You can use strength with finesse weapons though. STR rapier/shortsword/dagger and sneak attack is RAW.

>not banning hexblade just because it gives the dev team a boner

As a DM I'm open to the option, however most of my players are newer to RP so they tend to shy away from it. Although one is taking charge so it'll be interesting to see if he manages to flirt with one that isn't married or the farmers daughter

You gonna ban wizard too?

Oh, and I had a fighter who fucked a dragon once. It wasn't really rape, but the fighter felt a little coerced. They later got married, and the dragon dropped out a few dragonborn.

Would you consider Darkvision a necessity for an underdark campaign?

>implying wizards aren't banned in every game I run

And that's why it's no worse than any other RAW/RAI

No, but it is highly recommended

It would be wierd as a player, and I'm even gaming with my GF.

>My character is married with children.
I wrote down a certain half-orc women's shoes salesman...

>every game

So a grand total of zero games I assume?

Folks: I want to create an Alchemist Artificer with a Fiend Warlock dip whose backstory is that they sold their soul for their knowledge.

I know that it's an unlikely pair, but I love the concept. Suggestions or advice to make it work as much as possible?

Real talk, I've had players flirt with NPCs before, and I don't have anything against it, but man do I feel like an awkward fucking dork whenever I'm on the spot like that. I don't know how to flirt in real life, how am I supposed to pretend to be a hot elf girl?

no doubt married to a red haired harpy?

That's not how dragonborns work

Who's gonna play the second character

Nah, I've got maybe a dozen under my belt. The last game of 3.5 I played I banned anything with a full caster progression and the players ended up loving the game, and we got some neat classes out of it.

You haven't seen a movie in your life?

Might have been half dragons, it's been a while.

So I'm playing a tanky, heavily armored tempest cleric. Lvl 3.
We are about to have a campaign largely set on a ship at sea with occasional exploratory land voyages.
How to do I handle the dangers of water while being a heavy tank of plate?

Who's going to play an actually useful teammate to make up for you?

>Step aside guys, I've seen Hitch seven times

As a player, rarely, but the DM I usually play with doesn't do much of those scenes.

As a DM, I try to throw one interesting man/woman at the PC's per mini-arc, either as a side character or a DMPC. The players will generally flirt with all the bar-maids when we do tavern scenes unless their character has specific reasons not to.

Never wear your plate on the ship otherwise you'll sink like a fucking rock if you go over board

What's important to remember about Artificer is that its cantrips are for fighting and its actual spells are for utility, so pick Eldritch Invocations and a Pact Boon that support that - at a glance, Tome looks best. Also your spell list is going to be really weird; I've never multiclassed spellcasters so I have no clue how that all works, especially with Warlocks always casting at a specific level.

Eldritch Blast hits like a truck if you pick the right options for it, and the Alchemical Formulae provide some good no-cost options. I'm thinking something like Devil's Sight, Agonizing Blast, maybe Book of Ancient Secrets depending on how spellcasting works, Eldritch Sight (thematically works well with Alchemist).

Wear plate all the time. You should have no issue swimming in it with your strength.

>HotDQ campaign
>There's a Paladin in my party with 8 wis, 8 int, and 8 dex.
>Guy is a complete retard, does suicidal actions all the time.
>He jumped in the back of a dragon, almost died from the fall, was healed by the cleric and imediately tried to duel a half-dragon.
>DM is doing god's work to keep him alive
Why should my character, a scholar Wizard, tolerate this guy putting my life in danger? The most rational thing to do would be to dump him in the next town and hire a smarter person.

Davy Jones please go

Hookers and Ale are the only things to spend money on in 5e.

I don't know who to trust

youtu.be/yqjLO6YNKV0?t=180

Merals reads /5eg/?

If you have a shit DM yeah

Cloak of the Manta Ray, failing that a Cap of Water Breathing. If you get wet make sure you have your caster friend Prestidigitation your armor dry so it doesn't rust.

He vaulted over the gunwale, landing on the deck below with his golden cloak billowing behind him. The white roses drew back, as men always did at the sight of Victarion Greyjoy armed and armored, his face hidden behind his kraken helm. They were clutching swords and spears and axes, but nine of every ten wore no armor, and the tenth had only a shirt of sewn scales. These are no ironmen, Victarion thought. They still fear drowning.
"Get him!" one man shouted.
"He's alone!" "COME!" he roared back. "Come kill me, if you can."

Don't fear drowning, holy man. There is no greater glory than dying in the sea - for eternity will you feast in the watery halls of your god.

>2hrs
Nigga I ain't sitting through that shit

Let's be fair, your DM's never going to throw a 'yeah, you sink, you die, roll a new character' on you unless it's a super hardcore campaign.

who the fuck is this pink haired faggot

how do they work then?

Ask your gm. If he's going to nerf heavy armor because of "muh realism" then it's going to be painful playing a strength character that's not a barbarian. If he's reasonable and doesn't want to fuck over balancing of whole classes, then go ahead.

where's the 5E mega resource?

I know that they don't work like half-dragons, which are a distinct creature type in the Monster Manual that DO work like that

There's this nice little entry in the phb called Dragonborn, also he is correct they don't work like that.

As I was introduced to him, "he looks like a grapefruit, but gives pretty good gm advice". He may trigger some anons but does mostly good gming for RollPlay and Roll20 Presents if you like his style, and also has Office Hours which is a GM advice show.

I literally linked to the relevant minute of the video.

>Open video starts at the very beginning

Reddit doesn't quite like Mearls either

Not a DM, but I totally would let a player sink. I hated how they handled that for Jamie/Jon Snow in Game of Thrones.

The link says 180 seconds, which translates to 3 minutes, user. Even I was smart enough to figure that one out.

"Born of dragons, as their name proclaims, the dragonborn walk proudly through a world that greets them with fearful incomprehension. Shaped by draconic gods or the dragons themselves, dragonborn originally hatched from dragon eggs as a unique race, combining the best attributes of dragons and humanoids. Some dragonborn are faithful servants to true dragons, others form the ranks of soldiers in great wars, and still others find themselves adrift, with no clear calling in life."

>Shaped by draconic gods or the dragons themselves, dragonborn originally hatched from eggs as a unique race [...]

The PHB makes it pretty clear that they're just their own thing.

Eh TLDR. Dragonborn are lame anyway. Why would I read that section.

It seems like you all don't realize that's a byproduct of being Mearls.

LEAVE MEARLS ALONE, YOU HATERS.

How stupid an idea would mountain dwarf STR rogue be? Wear medium armor and jam rapiers into people. You can probably say goodbye to being stealthy, even if you had expertise. Any way to pick up shield proficiency?

Use him as a meat shield/bait if you need to run away from something hungry. Don't even be subtle about it.

okay so they're basically edgelord spawn...got it

Oh shit, I didn't bother reading the link my bad

It actually depends on the world. IIRC Forgotten Realms' dragonborn are displaced from a sister world with which some geography got swapped? Or am I thinking of a different setting?

>Players of /5eg/, do your characters court NPCs? DMs, do you allow your players to get waifus for themselves?
Usually not that far, though it does happen. Mostly for a benefit of some kind. The adventuring parties we have are not fit for having a family.

This one pair of characters got married once, and got retired as a result. Also have had a few select characters who got retired due to it.

But I think that holds true for most of the campaigns we've had. We rarely end up with even 1 of the original characters by level 20. Generally something happens, either death, marriage, other obligation, etc. Usually ends up as allied semi-NPCs.

Notable examples are:

The Rogue who started an orphanage, but who was still happy to help if it was ever needed, including her rather conprehensive spy network throughout the city.

The Divination Wizard who holed up in his tower and never left, but pretty much became a service hotline we could call if we needed his expertise.

The Fighter who became a king of a country, and kinda couldnt keep adventuring for obvious reasons, but gave the party a ton of resources to draw upon.

The Warlock who got accepted into a Fey society, and became "One of them", up to and including allowing the party an actual safe sanctuary there, which cockblocked a group of Fiends currently hunting us pretty hard.

Weve had several parties where the characters at sone point looked at each other, wondering why they were even doing this, because their main reason for doing so, a former PC, was no longer there.

Don't really see how they're anymore edgelord than other races. They might be color coded for good and evil, but otherwise they don't seem too terrible.

>11:15
>yeah, we just made things like fireball better than they should be because a fireball is supposed to be awesome

That explains a lot

In that case you'd probably not make it very easy to fall off the boat unless they're dumb / you really like killing players off.

I don't think many people believe 5e is a particularly well-designed game when you get into details, but it still is disappointing after what 4e did.

What's some cool shit to do with Chuul? You don't necessarily have to stick with the lore in the book for it either.

I've considered making them a sort of strange Collector aberration, who compulsively collect magical items, creatures, and beings. Chuul hives are a relative menagerie of magical stuff, which they want to keep and preserve.

Nope, you nailed it. Good job user.

>The Fighter who became a king of a country, and kinda couldnt keep adventuring for obvious reasons, but gave the party a ton of resources to draw upon.
This immediately came to mind, a high level former PC showing up to help and being an utter terror on the battlefield

How do I make the best Mystic possible? I am tired of my friends shitting on psionics just because I can't theorycraft.

>the king is also a bad ass
Love stories that do that

They're still gonna shit on psionics but for a different reason, you know that right?

I'll look into these
Neat.
He might.
He's told me he's very against heavy armor because "Vikings didn't wear heavy armor" to which I said they also didn't cast spells and have pet demons and such. He did not provide a rebuttal. He is not favorable to heavy armor.

They're shitting on psionics because they're stupid. Has nothing to do with quality of the crunch, just the quality of the fluff.

>He is not favorable to heavy armor.
You gonna drown, find every way possible to stay on the ship if you wear it while on board

So is the Revised Ranger in XGtE?

It was pretty neat.

The player for the fighter had a quick session with thr GM one day, and then during our normal session, we got message that a group of assassins from a country they formally had a cease fire with, had tried to kill him.

6 CR9 assassins. Against 1 level 15 fighter. He came out of the fight with 70% of his health, and was "slightly annoyed, but mostly disappointed that they would break the truce".

That King was not messed with after that.

He hasn't been terrible so far, but man is his face punchable.

>That talk about diversity at the end that's just four white American guys jerking themselves off about how progressive they all are while using terminology for and concepts about ethnicity that clearly mark them as Americans who don't understand how race is viewed outside their west coast liberal bubble

Mystics are garbage tier in terms of fluff and crunch right now. No one is going to like then no matter what you do.

No. It will get one more iteration and they will release it for free later.

Oh, wait, they won't release Revised Ranger, but rather alternative features for baseline Ranger. Revised Ranger would mean PHB ranger is broken, which they don't want.

>"Vikings didn't wear heavy armor"
I'm pretty Skallagrim did a video talking about that after the For Honor Game Theory, and basically said that the reason most Vikings weren't in plate is because it's fucking expensive.

Psionics aren't stupid and are objectively better than shitty magic classes who are all basically the same. Wizards, Sorcerors and Warlocks might as well be the same class.

Nice

I'm pretty sure the REAL reson vikings didn't wear plate armor is, plate armor wasn't yet invented in 866

The class is already broken, bro. Don't play it if you can't handle it.

>Psionics are objectively better
Yeah, we know.

That's the problem.

>Wizards, sorcerers and warlocks might as well be the same class

So you're retarded then. Got it.

That too. I think I meant chain mail before, or something.

>Implying I said anything of the sort
Take a few moments to stop sperging so you can comprehend what was said in

>We made casters overpowered in 5e again because we have no idea what we are doing
THANKS

Sorry user

It's ok, people who shit on classes will always find ways to do so no matter what you do. Ignore them and play what you find fun and remember, if you every need a friend you know how to call me.

Why are humans the only race with a variant giving them a free feat? I think all of them should have this option. You telling me a old ass elf can't have a feat but a human can?