>media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/resources/rules/MagicCompRules_21031101.pdf

>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

>Thread Question
What's a "bad" card that you play anyway because it works in your local meta?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-budget-red-deck-wins/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Must be a slow day.

Not strictly Modern, but generally MTG related: where would you get a better deal for trading in cards, a LGS or vendors at an event (e.g. GP)?

P.S. I know that neither will give the best prices, but they're just more convenient.

I prefer to trade in at my LGS, but that's because they give an extra 25% for in store credit

Later at the GP is when I usually get my best prices, when people looking to offload their stash that they were really hoping to profit on lower their expectations. Got a playset of Mistys for $100.

The legacy thread was shitting on us.

Search modern. Fuck that. Mad about their dead format.

We had a six hour argument over whether Mox Opal was better than Thoughtseize. Every format has its autists.

We? That was 2 dipshits

I ordered a set of Voices for Knightfall. Grizzly Bear feels bad though.

Why should we care what they think?

Falkenwrath Aristocrat, sac the Voice to get the token ;^)

>Extended was better
>The only Modern deck that interests me is Lantern Control
>I can't play my busted cards
>I can't play hard control
The mental gymnastics legacycucks do in order to justify their $5000 deck is hilarious.

This is why I object when people suggest changes to Modern to make it Legacy-lite.

Let them play Legacy and let us play Modern. To each his own.

They're still two dipshits who play modern.

Not having white for SB options feels terrible.

>inb4 6 hour argument about this

There are colorless options for most things. They aren't as good, but they're there.

What kind of sideboard options do you need? What deck are you playing and what matchups are you wanting to hedge against?

Playing- boros burn
Hating- the fact i cant get money for goblin guides, and fuckin merfolk
Meta- half top tier, half really cool homevrew decks like ashiok theft
Brewing- my sideboard
Bad card that works in my local meta? Stuff thats not for modern, because general stuff works for my meta. Standard is where the stuff comes out thats odd

Null Rod isn't in Modern and unless I'm absurdly lucky I can't name Revoker/Needle on Ravager, Overseer, and Inkmoth.

I'm playing Black Devotion and getting fucked by Affinity and a little by E-Tron.

No, but there's ratchet bomb, engineered explosives, dismember, and warping wail.

There's always Damping Matrix if you really need it ;)

Accept that Affinity will be a tough matchup for you. But, Damping Matrix exists, you can bring in more removal, sweepers like Damnation/Languish even Bontu's Last Reckoning. You can splash Red if you really want to for shattering spree or By Force. You have options.

Paging the UB Processors guy and the Mono-U Emerge guy.

Splashing red might be my best solution, maybe pick up a set of Fulminators while I'm at it. Not the best but I'll have to manage.

Do you think Wizards might try to push a "post-modern" format that only includes cards with the M15 frame? Would anyone want such a thing?

It's called Frontier (which isn't a WOTC format). It had a brief time in the sun but it seems to have been largely forgotten already. People were only playing it because Standard was awful.

It's possible. I think it was MaRo who said that if they did do that, it would start at Origins. Frontier was a thing for a while, but I haven't heard anything about it in a long time, so the popularity must have died just as fast as Tiny Leaders.

It would probably be a mixed bag. One camp would love it for being new and affordable (relatively). Others would hate it for trying to muscle in on Modern. Personally, I don't think it will work. Most formats are in a good place now and there are enough of them that there's little overlap.

In case anyone is wondering why Origins would be the starting point, it's so there wouldn't be fetches.

Trying to get into affinity. Is this a good list to start with and upgrade later?

MAIN
4x Chief of the Foundry
4x Glint-Nest Crane
3x Memnite
4x Ornithopter
4x Signal Pest
4x Vault Skirge
4x Vapor Snag
4x Ensoul Artifact
4x Cranial Plating
1x Paradise Mantle
2x Renegade Map
4x Springleaf Drum
4x Blinkmoth Nexus
4x Darksteel Citadel
7x Island
3x Spire of Industry

SIDE
2x Echoing Truth
4x Etched Champion
1x Grafdigger's Cage
1x Sea Gate Wreckage
4x Spell Pierce
1x Tormod's Crypt
1x Torpor Orb
1x Welding Jar

You probably don't want paradise mantle. Look into Frogmite and Myr Enforcer, and think about adding white for Tempered Steel.

What's a good U/R storm budget list to start off with and play and upgrade slowly? I can't drop a 500 bomb yet

As much as I love Ensoul Artifact (played UR Ensoul during its standard run), I don't think 4 is where you want to be. You're begging to get 2-for-1'd every single time.
Combined with and I think you should -2 Ensoul, -1 Paradise Mantle, +2 Frogmite, +1 Welding Jar.

Be aware that Storm has a fair chance of seeing a ban after the Modern Pro Tour if it keeps doing as well as it has been. Not saying that it definitely will get a banning, but the odds are definitely not zero.

there isn't a budget version. The deck costs about 250$ for the competitive version.

To be fair, when they don't have an answer a T2 Ensoul is a severe beating (I used to run it when I was first building Affinity too). It just wins the game. That said, we live in the Fatal Push era now.

What's the best way to buy foreign language cards? TCGPlayer and other usual websites have very limited options and often don't have what I'm looking for.

That is true, plus there's always Darksteel Citadel, Darksteel Plate, Darksteel Relic for dank Ensoul memes.

ayy, I swung with an Ensouled Citadel more than once.

I have 4 guides from a burn deck I'm killing. Will sell for cheap. Preferred contact form?

Most likely another ritual ban

Past in flames AND ritual.

TRON WILL REIGN SUPREME

Since possibility of being banned is there any death shadow budget one for now to upgrade later or should I go eldrazi

OK.
I dropped:
4x Chief of the Foundry
4x Glint-Nest Crane
2x Ensoul Artifact
4x Vapor Snag
1x Paradise Mantle
6x Islands

Added in:
4x Tempered Steel
3x Thoughtcast
1x Memnite
4x Frogmite
2x Hope of Ghirapur
1x Welding Jar
4x Cloudcrest Lake
2x Plains

I like adding white mana. I get access to enchantment removal and better creature removal.

I hope you' replaced a majority of your lands.

You don't really want tempered Steel. Your guys should be hitting faster than anything, you don't really need to wait for a 3 drop boost effect.

If you're going to play Frogmite, you may as well play Myr Enforcer. Old school affinity there you go.

Calm your tits Tronfag. Storm is barely 5% of the meta, valakut and company bare more prevalent, and is weak to at least burn and death shadow

How do you stop the storm triggers? Since there's no flusterstorm? I know Vyrn Wingmare and Thalia beats it badly, but both are still way too slow.

Nimble Obstructionist, Trickbind, or Squelch

Mindbreak Trap
Trickbind
Angel's Grace.

Eidolon of the Great Revel prevents Storm from going off in the first place. There's also my favorite EDH card, Summary Dismissal. Disallow, Trickbind, Voidslime.

>you don't really need to wait for a 3 drop boost effect.
Its a SUPER boost effect. Dropping a Tempered Steel on turn three to instantly triple the damage of all your attackers doesn't seem too bad. My only concern is the WW.

>current affinity lists run Thoughtcast as their only Affinity card
Why isn't it called Metalcraft at this point? It runs Opal, Galvanic Blast, Dispatch, and Etched Champion.

You can order Jap cards from Hareruya but I don't know about other languages.

I don't play Tron. The problem with Storm isn't that it's Tier 0, it's that it's a top-tier combo deck that can pretty consistently win on Turn 3 and doesn't just fold to common hate.

Again, not saying that it's definitely going to get a banning, but you're naive if you think there isn't a good chance.

It's all about the heritage. It's what the Mirrodin standard deck evolves into, and so it's still Affinity.

Because tradition and the alternative name is Robots.

It has been a good chance since two ban updates ago.
And storm folds to lightning bolt, fatal push, path to exile and thoughtseize.

>And storm folds to lightning bolt, fatal push, path to exile and thoughtseize.
It doesn't though, not the new configurations that have been trimming on Electromancers in favor of Opt and Pieces of the Puzzle. Killing the enabler doesn't do the job anymore, and one or two thoughtseizes just isn't enough.

>Killing the enabler doesn't do the job anymore
That's bullshit. The only way storm can win without enabler is casting empty the warrens without gifts (that means having the exactly 1of you run in your hand) or by needing a stupid low storm count for a grapeshot. Without enabler you can't cast gifts nor PiF, and Empty the warrens is not an autowin. Git gud

We'll see.

Sadistic Sacrament/Earwig Squad is my response on the play vs Storm.

I dont exactly want a modern deck, but I want a deck where I can play a lot of spooky eldritch eldrazi cards and smash realities and destroy people's thoughts. Any advice?

If it's not actually Modern you can play Eye of Ugin. Congratulations you win.

>get ready for Thursday night modern by practicing goldfishing and strats
>New cards arrived early in mail, excitedly add them in
>only one person shows up and they talk to the one employee I didnt, are told nobody else showed and they leave
>now walking home in the rain
i-i just wanted to play magic..

>still living in a low pop backwater and not in a multi-LGS metropolis

ofc a frogmemer doesn’t like walking in the rain

Not him, but
>every large city is a lgs wonderland.
Here in Louisville there's exactly 1 good game shop if you want to play. The others are either run by pretentious assholes or pretentious perverts.

>Getting back into magic
>Go to first modern event in years
>Go 4-0 while playing poorly with a half built affinity deck
>Return home to find a Signal Pest and Steel Overseer missing
I got to play some magic, but now I don't know if I want to go back to my LGS knowing there might be a thief.

They probably just fell on the floor when you were shuffling, you paranoid bastard. Who would bother to steal a signal pest?

Your own fault for being a dolt

Eldrazi tron is your deck.

The LGS I went to has 250,000 people in the immediate area, but the employee said that everybody there plays standard, not modern. I guess I'm gonna try calling the LGS in the downtown city area that's a bit farther away, ask if they actually get FNM Moderns popping every week.

Yeah that argument should have never happened. Obviously thoughtseize is better than opal, it's not even close.

Eldrazi. Death shadow will be fucked eventually.

>modern
lol

>I guess I'm gonna try calling the LGS in the downtown city area
Alright bros, I called them and asked how many people average they get for FNM modern, they said 22. So fuck yeah, I'm gonna head there tomorrow and play some magic.

Eidolon of Rhetoric and Rule of Law shuts down Storm unless they have an out. Attacking their graveyard also makes it harder for them to generate Storm value. Leyline of Sanctity protects you from Grapeshot.

Squelch only hits activated abilities.

I'm running a club at my younger brother's school and need ideas for decks around $30. So far I have Bogles, White Humans, Green Stompy, Infect, Black Rogues, and that $20 combo deck from a few threads back. If anyone's got a list or idea they'd like to share it'd be appreciated.

$30? That's pretty low for even a budget deck. Stompy is like at least $40 without lands or sideboard. That being said, how about zombie hunt?

You could also run a hyper budget burn deck as well.

The affinity deck posted above is within your price range if you drop the blinkmoth nexus and spire of industry.

Yeah dude, they're absolute shit competitively, but you make do. I can stretch it up to $40 but was hoping to be able to give people some extra to order their own cards when they get the hang of the game.

Zombie Hunt looks good, helps branch out from just creature based decks.
I keep trying to build Burn, but I'm pretty stymied just from the start by the fact that a playset of Bolts is $10 and I'm not sleeving up my foils for a bunch of highschool kids. If someone had a list, even if it was around $50 I'd consider buying it, just because Burn is such a staple of the game.

On a scale of 1 to 10 how hated will I be if I build affinity?

...2? Affinity is a strong deck that comes from an angle not everyone is used to, but nobody really hates it. Its not overwhelming and it has answers.

I could see them starting a new format using Ixalan or any sets that are included in Arena going forward.

3-4. Affinity isn't even dominant enough in the meta to get the hipster hate currently directed at E-Tron and Death's Shadow. The hate will be in the form of a sideboard of Stony Silence, Hurkyl's Recall, and By Force.

Check this out, Minotaur Tribal. It's not a modern archetype but it's pretty fun looking, a lot of flavor and is only $12 WITH land and sideboard.

As others have said, affinity may be strong, but it has a lot of answers against it and its a fast deck so even if it does dominate a player at least pain is short.

The decks I find the least fun to play against are the control decks that take forever shuffling the library and do their best to prevent you from playing your cards.

: ^ )

This burn deck is $21 from TCGplayer.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/30-budget-red-deck-wins/

Ceremonious rejection is put in sideboards for Etron but hits affinity too

Cheerio's without the expensive manabase and any of the shitty duel decks. I like the mind vs might one

Ultra budget affinity deck, $40.

Honestly if they're just starting, it's better to just pick up some dual decks and play from there. They're also only $20 each for two decks.

does an overloaded counterflux also do the trick?

Yes

In any case, watch out for them Remanding the storm spell back and casting it again.

Yeah, that's the main use of that card in eternal format sideboards, pretty sweet card.

>playing new perspectives combo
>hold up Nimble Obstructionist, they cast lethal grapeshot, stifle it
>they pif again and recast it
felt bad man

>playing vs living end
>postboard 8 fogs, 2 relics, nimbles and countermagic
felt rigged man

If you resolve two Pieces you can basically cast your whole deck. With Remand+Grapeshot (there are always at least 2 Grapeshots) you don't need even that, just chain some Manamorphoses and boom.

cheerio without mox opals just doesn't run. You can't combo off without them if not in a very lucky situation.

You can text me on discord, Jeb!#4408

Would it be worth putting in Chief of the Foundry?