Modern / urban fantasy / futuristic campaign

>modern / urban fantasy / futuristic campaign
>ask player 3 why there are no mentions of a religion on her character sheet
>"my character is not religious"
>understanding that some people are not associated to religious organizations, I try to at least to make player 3 describe the spiritual beliefs of her character
>"oh my character just don't believe in God or the supernatural"

I predict this thread will be a complete shitshow

Why would you assume that someone who is not religious has to have multiple spiritual beliefs?

I see no problem with this. Some just refute things even in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Like Flat-Earthers.

>The man in the sky tells me what to do

Sound like perfect opportunity to roll Pastafarian (played completely straight, obviously).

>urban fantasy
>literally surounded by supernatural things ranging from vampires to fireball spells to angels/demons to ghosts
>doesnt believe they are real

theres a difference between not believing out of in-setting character ignorance and having proof right before you

I see no problem with this. I doubt what I'm about to say pertains to your players, because of your reaction, but with my own group I know that a few are quite religious, and it would be sinful for them to pretend to worship a god other than God. Consequently, as a matter of good practice I just don't ask my players about anything religion related unless they bring it up as part of their character. Sometimes games are better without worship brought up.

>sinful to pretend
so your party's never done anything that wouldn't be kayfabe in whatever backwards protestant bullshit denomination they follow?

I know that those players would not, but we have a large group and they wouldn't stop anyone else.

>omg guis an atheist
>fedora fedora fedora m'lady
>tips

gtfo

>'don't believe in magic when magic is literally right fucking in front of you' archetype
>anything but fedora-tier if not played for laughs

I can see that sort of character being a hardcore physicist or the like looking for the rational explanations to how and why "supernatural" things happen. You know the reverse of Sufficiently Advanced Technology and all.

Though yeah, it is certainly bait for the Fedora crowd.

Hey, Sufficiently Advanced rule works. Both ways.

And, Some people are so skeptical, Jesus Christ could cartwheel down the street making it rain miracles and they'd be like "Holograms and stage magic!"

This also doesn't preclude the possibility the magic is functional or scientific - not so much a spiritual practice as effectively an non-understood science (or very understood, depending on how you look at it) which isn't uncommon in a lot of works. You even said it was futuristic, that might not preclude NANOMACHINES, SON from answering those questions. Ghouls are just a weird prion disease from eating human brains!

All of this requires on all the context not given to us by this anecdote, especially since you kind of pivot from "no mention of religion" to be some kind of deeper statement on spirituality. It seems kind of like you're asking the wrong questions here, or were begging an answer and didn't know what to do when the answer wasn't something you were looking for.

You're retarded. Those things wouldn't be supernatural if they existed in the real world. Obviously the character believes in things that they can feasibly verify to exist.

Are you complaining that they claim not to believe in the supernatural when they live a life that puts them in frequent contact with it, or had this character not encountered any of these things at the time of character creation and you think it's just unbearably edgy to actually be an atheist?

>Magic is proof of gods existing, when it could easily just be another natural force of the world, like physics or autism.

I have to agree, there's no reason to assume your player is being a fedora just cause they don't have a religion/ don't believe in god(s) in the setting. Now if there are literal gods in your setting that are not only capable of god-like feats, but actually perform them where others can see and verify, then yeah, maybe your player is being obtuse.

>PC doesn't have an imaginary friend
>DM is offended by this but doesn't have any logical arguments so just parrots the fedora meme

In that case, make up a deer or something strange for the setting that can talk and prove her wrong. That could be shocking as fuck.

I like how we've gone full circle to the point where having your character not believe in any god or gods is considered to be peurile

The man who invented irony has surely transcended his mortal constraints, by this time.

Have you been paying attention for the last 10 years? A lot of things have gone full-circle. There are probably more things that have shifted that we haven't noticed, but we thought that's how it's always been.

>believing in actual gods
>in a world where people have godlike power
it'd be hard to believe that the "gods of old" weren't just the first pricks to discover how to shoot lightning

>doesn't believe in the supernatural
If you're in a realm of (in our eyes) "supernatural" entities, it'd be hard to consider them anything but natural. If you live in a world where teleporting demon dogs exist, then they wouldn't really be considered supernatural. Just natural.

If you grew up in a world where apples had giant dicks and one day you saw an apple without a dick, it'd blow your fucking mind since your reality is apple-cocks.

>My character worships nature spirits/ancestor spirits/spirits of the earth instead of the gods because he/his culture believe them to be a more active and immediately present force in our everyday lives
Is this acceptable in a generic D&D type setting or is this also fedora because I've had a few characters like that

basically the type of character that will always get killed in a supernatural horror movie

>believing magic is "supernatural"
>in a world full of magic

OP said nothing about not believing in magic. Can you comprehend that what you consider supernatural is just natural to someone else?

It's called perspective. Pretty obvious exercise in human empathy to consider through the eyes of another person, whether fictional or not.

If I see a ghost, study it, and publish my findings, is it still unknown and mystical?

No, it's a verified phenomenon. Not at all weird for an atheist to live in a world with recognized but not fully explained phenomena.

Literally Druids

hail satan

Imagine being this autistic.

>atheist not performing an exorcism even though it's the only way to banish the demon who already killed dozens of victims and still uses shitty gadgets that never really do anything
>turns out any variation of a ritual/exorcism relies on how faithful you are to a deity
>atheist
>faithful

Wait, I'm confused, does the atheist in your bizarre made up scenario perform an exorcism or not?
Because at first you said that the atheist didn't perform it, and then say that the exorcism failed because the atheist wasn't faithful.

If you're going to sadly attempt baiting, at least make the shitpost coherent. Otherwise what's the point?

And besides, if we *are* going with this idea that you have to 'truly believe' in order for the exorcism to work (which, just so we're clear, is a bullshit idea of the modern age), it would clearly be a theme of the story, so having the atheist go through his crisis of un-faith would be part of the fun of play. (See - multiple horror movies in which this has come up.)