/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Mearls Edition

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Trove:
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/:
How long has it been since you last lost a character and how did it happen?

Has there ever been such a thing as a Druid/Monk unarmed gish?

Imagine you have decision making power in the design of 6e. You aren't allowed to mess with mages power, they're just getting cleaned up a bit. How do you bring martial up to being as interesting in and out of combat as the full casters?

How is the Tomb of Annihilation Board game?

I'm sure there's been moon druids with monks unarmored AC.

Four Elements monk.

Would taking inspiration from Pennywise be a wise move, should I be interested in DMing CoS? Something about Pennywise's influence on Derry struck a chord.

Slayer's Eye

Starting at 3rd level, you gain the ability to study and unravel a creature's defenses. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 120 feet of you. You immediately learn the target's vulnerabilities, immunities, and resistances. You also learn any special effects triggered when the target takes damage, such as fire damage halting its regeneration.

In addition, the first time each turn you hit the target with a weapon attack, the target takes an extra 1d6 damage from the weapon.

^This is crazy good.

2 weeks ago my Bard (college of Satire) slipped and fell off a roof on top of a few zombies the group was fighting, killing one zombie in the process.

He then got mauled by the other zombies, instant death saving throw failures and death.

weaboo book of fightan' magic

>but where do you get the expanded list of maneuvers
see

Give them NOTSPELLS, which are a bit more powerful than spells and pretty similar, but definitely not spells

>Just give them an equal number of utility bullshits as a wizard.
Why didn't I think of this? It seems so simple but at the same time so intuitive.

>three out of three fighters agree
I think we have a consensus. Let's move this book to print.

your answer is 4e?

why don't you just say you want the WoW audience while you're at it

I want to play an immortal mystic in the next campaign and me and the DM are looking for ways to balance any of the bad features. We've already decided to bad the nomad archetype and that one overpowered dicipline, but we're not sure what else we could fix.

I think we'd have more fun with the WoW audience than the caster superiority grog audience, actually.

Theoretically you could dump dex and wildshape into something with high dex and benefit from both Armored AC and martial arts (since you can still use martial arts/unarmed strike as a beast). The problem is that there aren't that many usable creatures with phenomenally high dex, or even decent (18+) dex and decent HP.

>banning whole disciplines
>not just nerfing individual powers and foci
shit why even bother banning at all if you don't plan to take it

Incase other players die and want to play mystic, then they might accidentally go nomad and play as an OP skill monky.

I don't think games that are based even partly around resource management should have classes that don't manage resources, yet this is exactly what we have in many pure martial characters. I would model martial buffs after the battlemaster and the vancian system casters have always used; in the back of the book there's a big list of maneuvers and stances available to martial characters depending on class. Stances replace fighting styles; they're entered as a bonus action, you can use them any number of times, and you learn new ones with the frequency of casters getting new cantrips. They look more like Tunnel Fighter than Defensive. Maneuvers require superiority die, which refresh on a short rest. Certain maneuvers require a die of a certain size before you can use them. Progression of die size and amount of dice follow the model of full martial for classes/archetypes with no casting and half for others. You generally get more than a battlemaster does. Maneuvers are also made which are useful for non-combat stuff.

If I'm not allowed to touch casters, otherwise I'd do something completely different.

You gotta have at least 13 DEX to multiclass though

I'm pretty sure that a beasts attack doesn't proc monk abilities

wow players are more fun than the "fighters should be limited to basic attacks in combat, and shutting up outside of combat" audience.

Colossus slayer is 1d8, doesn't requires a bonus action that you should be using for Hunter's Mark and guessing an enemy's weaknesses and resistances is easy enough.

This Besides, even if I was playing WoW and wanted to have interesting utility outside of a fight, you'd still want to play a Mage for at-will teleportation to far away cities.

the joke i was making is that it didn't work before

1. 4e
2. All martials get free feats as they level to represent their time spent learning things that aren't spells.

rip off heroic deeds from DCC

I mean, people generally seem to think it worked for the purpose of balancing martials and casters, at least. I rarely see people say it didn't do that.

It did work though. 4e sold well, and if you ask any rational being, it was fun.

The problem is that 4e revealed a disgustingly loud minority of faggots in the community, and wizards started appeasing them.

beast attacks don't, but the point is not having to put too many points into Dex but still be able to gain monk benefits as normal. You're not using beast attacks.

Not if you start as a monk and then multiclass into druid. There's no starting requirements for your first class, see 8 int Orc Wizard

Read the fucking book, black man. If you're going to multiclass, you gotta have the stat requirements for both classes.

>Not if you start as a monk and then multiclass into druid. There's no starting requirements for your first class, see 8 int Orc Wizard
You must meet the stat requirements for both your current class(es) and the class you want to multiclass into. You cannot multiclass if you're an 8int orc wizard.

Spellcasters have consequences on failed spells
Smaller spell lists and more spell restrictions depending on class and level
Martials get expanded battle moves from 5e that also extend to out of combat moves (ex. Only being able to unlock something or persuade/intimidate if you have the right tool or proficiency vs just burning a spell is fucking bullshit.

>spider druid monks can transform into a spider and grapple 7 people, then rush up a wall and drop them

I really can't think of a fun race for my Barbarian.

My last characters were an elf and a half-elf so I'm not going to be one of them. The other three members are human, human and human revenant so not going human. The campaign's heavily featured a dwarven family we've been helping, but I'm not sure I want to just insert another one when it's been established there's no more members of that clan in the area.

So that leaves me to playing a more exotic race, preferably something that people won't hate on sight like a half-orc. Anyone got any ideas?

The reason you can't think of a fun race for your barbarian is because barbarian isn't a fun class.

What the fuck is Mearl's problem? This guy has to be the worst designer in WotC right now, especially with these shitty D&D beyond videos, like who the fuck does he think he is? The only thing he's good at is jerking off to psionics. I truly pity people who think his rules are good, because that means they've never heard of a competent game designer ever. Not to mention, Mike Mearls is contributing more to the downfall of the D&D community than anyone else in history. Not even Monte Cook, not even Lorraine Williams, not even Matt Mercer, not even Gary Gygax himself have done as much damage to D&D. Mearls has made the game palatable to the kind of person who spends his Friday nights playing Cards Against Humanity while slobbering microbrews all over his beard while his wife's son is sleeping in the next room. The kind of moron who thinks mirthful laughter is the end goal of everything, and fails to understand the potential that RPGs have as a fulfilling hobby. Instead, he shits on that creative potential by turning the entire game into a joke, refusing to take anything seriously and making gimmick rules, bringing along his fat girlfriend to make a shitty elf druid character that she hardly roleplays, screeching autistically whenever she rolls a natural 20 because that is the only aspect of the game that her tiny female brain can comprehend, taking copious pictures of the game and posting them to Snapchat and Instagram to show what a geek she is, before getting tired at 11 and tugging at her cuck boyfriend's shoulder so that they both leave and disrupt the immersion even further, because the game doesn't matter to these people at all. It is a mode of entertainment, nothing else.

Goliath is a good pick.

Halfling

Gnome barbarian.

Eh, I think the most interesting one is Bugbear, because you get Stealth proficiency, sneak attack dice and long arms, and if you push up your Dex a bit you can become a big scary creature that reaches out from the shadows to hit people upside the head with a maul.

Back in June.

Level 6 Goliath Berserker Barbarian, failed a DEX save and got disintegrated by a beholder zombie that rolled near-max damage. Stone's Endurance was 1 off from saving me.

Honestly, I don't even mind anymore.

Goliath

I'm not sure I get the monk druid thing then. Just for unarmored defense? At that point going Barb is significant better because everything still works.

If this isn't pasta it will be soon.

There is that as well. Been playing nothing but fullcasters and warlocks for a while though and Barbarian's the only martial 'I'm even slightly interested in being.

I've though about that, they seem like a really weird race though. Like I'm not even sure what they do or what trope they're meant to be filling.

My DM actually does the whole "Monster races better cover their faces in towns" thing. My Elf was a Drow and while it was fun, I kinda don't want to do it again.

Would a Gnome Barbarian with Mage Slayer be too much of a meme character for a serious campaign?

>here's why Mike Mearls is shit
ok you got me so far user

>devolves into sexist whining about normies learning to like D&D too
opinion discarded

Goblin

Half-Orcs are the master race. Bow down, pinkskins

Goliaths are basically half-giants. They're good if you want to be a big guy.

Honestly, I'm not sure what to suggest for variety if you also don't want to deal with hiding your non-human nature at all. You could go for a wood-elf, which might be rather different than a Drow

Don't worry, it's been around for a while.

How about an Earth Genasi?

Goliaths are supposed to be honor/gloryhounds that follow their code strictly and are constantly pushing themselves for more and greater challenges to overcome.
Stat-wise,+2STR +1CON, they have Athletics, count as one size larger for carrying, are acclimated to cold climates and high altitudes, and once per short rest when they take damage, they can use their reaction to roll a d12+CON and reduce the damage by that amount.

best fighters

>half
Full orc or no orc you fucking goose

What is a good surname for a paladin named Rickert?

Very simple rules clarification question from a 5e newbie:

If I'm playing a Fighter and take dueling as my fighting style, the PHB says I get a bonus for attacking when I have a one-handed weapon in one hand and no weapons in my other hand. I still gain this bonus when I have a shield in my off hand, because a shield does not count as a weapon, correct?

Hi newfag.

I find myself playing them surprisingly often, but I'm a munchkin at heart. Half-Orcs, V.Humans, Half-elves, High Elves, Wood elves...

> What is Fourth Edition DND

Goliath does seem kinda cool while I'm reading it on the wiki. Not sure how well I'd do roleplaying one.

As for Earth Gensai, I like the idea but aren't they really weak? What about a Dragonborn? I have access to the racial feats in this game so would they be alright?

I want to rewrite wot4e so that they get spellslots
let them cast chromatic sphere without material or vocal components
stuff they should be able to do

Goliath have always been something like noble savages who delight in physical competition and have a strong bond to clan. Or has the fluff changed?

Is defensive duelist or Medium armor master a better choice for someone with high dex?

>How long has it been since you last lost a character and how did it happen?
Years, because everyone is flakes these days and I never get far enough in a game to even face risk.

Both are shit

Even if someone with high dex plans on being swung at a lot?

Yes

Dragonborn get a strength bonus. Could be interesting and cool as well with the breath weapon.

Duelist if you are dead set on one. Issue is it eats your reaction

Has anybody ever used the guns from the DM Guide in game? Or has anybody ever banged out a Gunslinger class for 5e and played it? How did it go?

Correct.

What would be a better choice to supplement my AC? Or should I just not worry about it?

Matt Mercer has a gunslinger class that’s considered well balanced. The UA artificer has a class that uses a rifle.
The artificer seemed very week when we tried it.

My DM let a guy who set up his character as a bit of a tinkerer use them in an Eberron game. Didn't seem too out there, since it was basically just a +1 crossbow, it felt like.

I don't know if you'd need a dedicated gunslinger class, so much as just a Fighter or Ranger with a lot of pistols to quickdraw and fire.

Depends what you are playing. Shield master is always good if you have the free bonus action and use a shield

Pickledin Rick

>Be wizard
>Spend a century studying arcane tomes and ancient manuscripts for forbidden and forgotten lore
>Finally stumble upon a few hints that allow you to make a guess at how to achieve lichdom
>Invest a fortune in reagents and magical equipment, seek out dark powers to strike sinister deals with
>The ritual is too painful and horrifying to describe and more likely than not to end in failure
>But at the end, you emerge as an immortal
>Your hard work and arduous struggle has paid off

Meanwhile

>Chad shags a noblewoman and marries her
>Chad then shags an elf
>Wife finds out
>The nagging is unbearable, so he kills her
>Same result

How can Wizards even compete?

Robbergash.

Masters of what, smelling bad and failing to subjugate the weakest species you can possibly breed with?

i fucking hate that fat pig nosed little shit

high dex, high charisma Oath of Vengeance paladin. I plan on mainly using a whip with sentinel and would like to keep my other hand free to draw and throw various items like daggers and hand axes.

hey so quick question on initiative, my dexterity is 8 at the moment, so -1 bonus , I also have the alert feat which gives +5 initiative.

Is my calculated initiative 4? 5+ bonus - the -1 mod

or 11, 8-1 bonus +5

trying to make a new dnd char for the first time ever and the guides don't seem to cover that, tried googling but still unsure.
thanks laddos

>Has anybody ever used the guns from the DM Guide in game?
Yes. They're entirely functional additions to a game as-is: they're effectively crossbows with higher damage (the pistol is two dice higher than the hand crossbow, and the rifle is one die higher than the standard crossbow) at the lost of less range, (30/90 for pistols, 40/120 for rifles) for a much higher price.

>Or has anybody ever banged out a Gunslinger class for 5e and played it? How did it go?
Doesn't feel like there's a need to. They benefit best from a character with the sharpshooter trait, and will likely replace hand crossbows as fighter side arms more often than they replace your ranged combatants crossbows/longbows unless you let Crossbow Mastery work on them or homebrew and equivalent feat.

Why the hate on Mearls?

lichfags BTFO

ASI-wise they're fine. It's just that they lack darkvision and their spells are more fluff or based on sneaking.
Oh, yeah, and the beholder zombie wasn't even the boss fight. The boss was some sorta mind flayer.

What would the best way to play a Death Knight? Revenant Paladin with multiclass dip into Cleric or Wizard?

It's 4.
Most of the time you'll be using the modifiers instead of the actual values.

I just played this character type of character in a one shot a few weeks back. It was a blast! But I would recommend mainly carrying a shield in your off hand- you can drop it if you really need to start chucking stuff, but the extra shield AC is really important imo.

jesus I know that feeling. I haven't got more than 3 games into a RPG without it falling apart in the last two years.

Oathbreaker gets access to animate dead. It's in the DMG

he wants dice rolling removed

I'd say just Revenant Oathbreaker.

He's selling sub-classes for rich oil barons.

Fuggin saved.

he killed Jesus

I just don't see the point of screeching out and going full autist.