/l5rg/ - Legend of the 5 Rings General

"Have you seen this man?" Edition.

>USEFUL RESOURCES & LINKS FOR THE RPG (OLD AND NEW)

Rulebooks:
mediafire.com/folder/icjb615izaw31/L5R

The FF Beta:
images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/dc/2f/dc2f92bb-bfd2-4f12-99eb-1d084491de65/l5r00_beta_rulebook.pdf

>USEFUL RESOURCES & LINKS FOR THE FF LCG

Tabletop Simulator Mod - steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1099785017

Ringteki (Browser based game client) - mahois.fun/

Card Database / Deck Builder - fiveringsdb.com/

TTS Deck Converter - infamous-irc.com/dengeki/l5r-deck-generator/

Current Card Rulings - docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MSIQHAJmfSMKk1RJmzuF_3Mtmav8ZRy8-LDXSbXCQAE/edit#gid=722499072

This Paste: pastebin.com/0JF6Acgv

Thread Question:

Have you ever switched clans?

Who did you leave? Who did you join? Why?

In game or personal.

I was a Lion player in the CCG, and switched to Unicorn in the LCG.

No real reason, just like the direction they had been going in, and Lion's not really my thing anymore.

From the first Shadowlands to late Jade I ran with the Horde. After Gaheris made the scene and the ponies became Mongols I swapped to the ponies and never looked back. Until the packs come out, I am running merc style. I've been playing Scorpion, Lion, and Crab. Once a few packs hit the scene, I'll go back to the ponies.

>from the first Shadowlands box

Fixt.

I need horsefuckers to leave.

Shame.

Where did the horse Unicorn over you?

Mantis is my favourite faction, and the deck I use to play in L5R, but I've never played them when we play the RPG. Currently I'm playing Crane in both the cards and RPG.

Seems that Crane in the LCG wants to be playing high Courtier count and some control to pair with the courtiers but is it possible to splash into Lion and push more military conflict cards and bushi focused interactions?

Never played anything L5R but the new card game looks pretty cool. Is it good? Worth buying? Is there an active playerbase (I don't have any friends that would be into it)?

>Is it good?
Yes.

>Worth buying?
See if one of your friends plays it and try out the game with them, or a store. See if you like it and then pick up 2 cores and split one with a friends, or pick up 3 for yourself. It's pricy, but you're getting literally everything you need to start off with.

>Is there an active playerbase (I don't have any friends that would be into it)?
My first game night about 8 people showed and a couple of people watched and bough boxes, it's growing but it seems to be pretty good right now. Honey moon phase for most people.

Whoa, $120? That is pretty pricey. Is there a poor people faction or something?

It's one of those LCG deals. You're getting literally all factions, the whole playset as it stands.

So you pay $120 for every faction.

I'm not joking when you get everything.

Upfront cost is high, but maintenance/upkeep with expansions from then on is relatively cheap in comparison to other card games.

dont forget the 90 bucks you have to pay to stay current in the first month of release!

If you can't pay $15 a week for something, then you're probably underage.
Fuck, even broke college students can keep up with this game.

Shame.

its a lot to put into a game where one of the factions is already garbage and might not exist after worlds since it's hemorrhaging RPG fans.

Bad mentality. Even if the game is good, it may not be worth that much money to people not dedicated to it. Having money and not spending money are not mutually exclusive.

Are certain factions simpler for new players or are they all about the same? I was thinking of playing Phoenix.

Someone hasn't seen the spoilers.
Someone doesn't understand that Unicorn's probably going to be a mainstay.

It's a completely valid and realistic mentality. You pay a toll to be part of niche.
I budget to maintain my hobbies and luxuries, and I'm a fucking moron that still can pay for this.
In case you didn't read my original comment, I'll restate it:

>See if one of your friends plays it and try out the game with them, or a store. See if you like it and then pick up 2 cores and split one with a friends, or pick up 3 for yourself. It's pricy, but you're getting literally everything you need to start off with.

>believing "playtester" rumors

If the play testers were good at evaluating cards, Unicorn wouldn't bit shit out the box, my dude.

>split one with a friends
I moved across the country recently and don't have any local friends to play/split card games with.

In fact I was hoping this would be an opportunity to meet new people at my FLGS.

>120$ is a lot!
>120$ is about the msrp of a box of magic cards

>Spoilers
>Talisman
>New Holding
>Literally on the FFG site

Ok. It's not going to put them tier 1, of course not. What it will do is give them presence, and they can, and will, become quite a handful.

See, this is what it's about, make friends and discussing card games, tis great.

This.

The only maigc I play now is EDH. I look at the prices for Standard decks, and can't comprehend the level of insanity required to invest into such a shit format.

There's a reason I asked about L5R and not MTG, and it's not because I want to blow tons of dosh on a card game I've never played.

I can drop $120, but do I want to? If the game isn't fun or will wither within a year, then no.

>Will wither in a year

I don't think that'll happen, my bet's on FFG to not fuck this up. Literally no one I know plays GoTCCG and it's still recieving stock in my FLGS - someone's playing it, but I never see them.

Also, collectors value, quality of the cards and art are phenomenal.

>quality of the cards and art are phenomenal.
Eh the cardstock isn't all that great

>New Holding
Garbage. Unicorn's problem is that their cards simply don't generate value like other clans. The fate gives real clans more power per fate, and only idiots run pure dishonor, so that's not going to do much for you.

>Talisman
Also nothing impressive. It's a conflict card for fuck's sake. Is that really what you want to be using a conflict slot for?

I double Sleeve cards, so I haven't really noticed.

Being a contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian died out long ago mate.

The anchoring fallacy is strong with you. All of the Unicorn preview cards have been bad. They have the second worst Keeper card (behind maybe Crane, but at least Crane's is a meta dependent choice), and their Seeker card is only slightly stronger, but not by much. The holding does literally nothing, and the Swift Magistrate is so tepid it's nauseating. But because you heard a bunch of idiots on FFG payroll tell you that the next cycle will totally be way better (they super promise) that means I'm the contrarian.

Yeah, projecting that I haven't come to my own conclusions and made card evaluations through my own volition and research, but that I'm one of these mindless drones of phantom boogeymen that happens to be FFG shills.

Sound, totally not biased at all. You totally know me user, congratulations.

You're probably a Lion player.

I play Scorpion primarily, but also Crab, Crane, Phoenix, and Lion.

Their holding is pure deck filter. Deck filter is not nothing. And in what world is their seeker card stronger than their keeper?

>They have the second worst Keeper card
No, they don't. I'd argue as a Lion player that Lion do. Maybe Dragon...

> their Seeker card is only slightly stronger
Chasing the sun is legit the worst spoilered card. It'll see no light semi-competitively.

>Swift Magistrate is so tepid it's nauseating.
Have you actually used her?

Chances are he hasn't.

Considering that he says he's a scorpion player - unicorn's hardest counter, his opinion of the Unicorn will be that they're shit. So it's blind ignorance moreso than reason.

That Magistrate comment has to be the dumbest I've ever seen. I've used her on TTS and she nullifies everything except swarms, and she's wonderful with favoured ground/FM and stronghold

Has there been any news on the RPG beta opening up?

Nevermind, I am a potato. The beta is already open. Disregard!

Phoenix in the CCG,
Phoenix in the LCG.

Always been Phoenix, probably always will be.

You got some QT waifs this time around

How strict are family to school (or even broad category) relationships?

Could a really bookish Hida be a courtier?

Could an Isawa or a Shosuro become a Bushi?

Do you just get married off into a more appropriate family (Isawa Bushi, you're marrying a Shiba and taking their name, no non-wizard Isawas allowed)?

It depends on the family.

Isawa would likely purge them out by marrying the person off.

Hida wouldn't give a crap and would whip that nancy boy into shape, eventually putting him into a strategist position where his intellect serves the clan.

Shosuro would put them wherever their talents serve the clan the best. For the most part the Scorpion are practical about not jamming a square peg into a round hole.

Not him, but what if it were the Moto Face and the Ide Brawn?

I can totally see an Ide going full magistrate and being the "Good Cop." Especially if he goes Different School and takes Doji Magistrate school.

A Moto Face is a little harder to imagine. The Moto are a versatile family, in addition to their bushi school, they originated the Death Priest shugenja path. The Unicorn are all about personal freedom, so I don't see it being too much of a problem in the family.

Never played the original. However, I was looking to jump ship from AGOT. Currently I'm playing Fire Chickens but honestly all of the clans appeal to be except for Lions. I really like Unicorn fluff wise but damn their original short story was terrible (the new one isn't so bad).

I used to play Mantis but now I play Lion. How bad did I fuck up guys? Also what are good parings conflict side for Lion?

Are there Unicorn/Ki-Rin Clan members still out in the world outside of Rokugan?

Wiki says that they traveled to Merenae in addition to the Burning Sands. That's fantasy swashbuckling pirate Spain right?

Also do Unicorn samurai ever visit these places (for trade?)? If so how long would they stay? Could a Unicorn samurai have holdings outside of Rokugan?

Honestly you don't need high courtier counts.
At best you want two courtiers usually on the field unlike Lion where you need a certain number of bushi on the field.
So having 1 courtiers to fire off your control cards each conflict/around two per turn on the field is enough.

Though I am a totally noob who a splashes phoenix for literally a single card so wht do I know.

Display of Power?

General census is that Phoenix and Scorpion requires good knowledge of interactions and Unicorn requires faith (ability to bait the enemy).
The others start off better but still benefit from skill

Suprisingly Pacifism.
Toturis and Kisada are stopping me from switching to a different splash.

Not too strict. There are a handful of schools that are only open to the Family (mostly the secretive and very specialize ones) and rarely people who are closely related to, and still in the same clan as, the Family (like if their mother was born in it).
Basic bushi, courtier, and shugenja schools are open to the whole clan. Stuff like Shosuro Infiltrators and Kuni Witch Hunters are not.

There are Moto out in the Sands.

Phoenix plays the most unfun and slow burn deck that you could possibly play.

Imperial Cycle can not come sooner, you guys need to find something more interesting than "Bid 1" as your strategy.

So what RPG system are most people playing?

old 4e or the Beta?

Looking to get into it sometime with a couple of mates.

Play tester anons, are Shadowlands looking to be an upcoming archetype?

Maybe not imperial cycle, but sometime in the future?

Oh I wish. But isn't there a goblin in the next expansion pack?

Dragon may be the simplest one to play right now, for the main tactic of Dragon Voltron. You get a dude, slather said dude in attachments until their stats are through the roof, and proceed to eat provinces.

On the other hand, the OTHER big thing the Dragon do is Fate shenangians, so that requires some familiarity.

Lion is the straightforward aggro swarm. Lots and lots of cheap dudes, you can flip provinces to get out more than 4 dudemen in a turn. But they run out of steam...FAST. If you haven't won by midgame, you aren't likely to.

Crane are also pretty straightforward. Honor the shit out of your dudes, crush everyone in politcal conflicts. But you've only got a few good military units so you've got to play that carefully.

Unicorn right now are in the worst position, though the upcoming six packs in six weeks is supposed to bring them great power. So, I can't really give you advice on Unicorn yet.

Pheonix suffer from the same issue the Pheonix have always had. They work like an anime MC deck, built around powerfull but unlikely combos and synergies. When Pheonix works, it's terrifying to behold. But much of the game will be spent with dead cards and you trying to stall till you get the last piece of the combo you need.

Scorp is nasty if you know what you're doing. You have to think ahead, because several Scorp abilites need you to have less honor than your oponent, but you don't want to get to critical levels. Generally Scorp isn't about breaking out good dudes so much as crippling your opponents good dudes

Crab is HEAVY military. They have TWO characters with 3 politcal. You play defensively, stalling out until you've got overwhelming force. You bid low and use Watch Commander and Intimidating Hida to pressure you opponents honor while using card draw to make up for your low bids.

>Phoenix

Also known as the cowards first dishonor deck.
Everyone I've seen that runs it bids one, and forces both players to have a bad time.

Most people play 4e.

I personally think the beta looks alright. But it has too many kinks for it to be worth playing right now, unless you want to actually want to help improve it, such as the "levelling" and stances.

Enjoy your one goblin

How do you find good character art for this?

I just bought the new card game from FFG. Still can't tell you if I made a good choice.

How many cores did you buy?

If only one, then that's kind of a silly thing to do.

One was all my FLGS had at the time. I want to get at least one practice match in (with the default decks) before I pull the trigger on another copy.

Here's a fucking tip for socially awkward fucks.

We're both playing the same game, so there's no need to be quiet.
If you're confused, ask a question, ask to consult the rules, try something and see if it works.
Don't fucking sit there for 5 minutes trying to work out whether sacrificing your dude with Sincerity and Courtesy can be done during the preconflict phase when you're going to pass the conflict anyway, announce your conflicts rather than just putting a ring on the province because it becomes confusing as all hell when you put dudes with high military in, talk to me. I don't care that you look like a neck beard and I'm wearing office gear. It's a game from christ sake.
Fuck off with the self-deprecating humour, if you're depressed that's totally fine - but don't make that your defining trait.

Card Games and RPG's are social activities, be social.

Needed to get that off my chest.

That's totally fine then, understand that those aren't going to be clan decks.

Have a friend (or ask someone at the store) to play with, don't just solitaire, you'll learn less from your mistakes.

If it's not for you, well, at least you didn't buy 3 cores I guess.

I should clarify/elaborate on;
>understand that those aren't going to be clan decks

They will be "clan" decks, but with mostly neutral forces - you won't get a good reflection of the complete clans of game with just the one core.

That's true. The demo decks are only 30 cards each, but still end up being something like 2/3 neutral.

I did notice though that because of the way rings work, no matter how many core sets you buy you're going to have extremely limited options with provinces.

You did talk to your opponent about this, right?

In addition, if you're playing unicorn, please do not spend all game talking about had unicorn is only to reconfirm how much you "love" them after you're done playing

I did, in a much calmer manner mind you.
I walked him through the step during my turn, I think he took it the wrong way and thought I was patronising him.
Good guy, just needs to open up to a little more interaction.

To be fair, I give the Uni players slack because they do have the shittest clan out the core. If you can bash on them, but then still have a good time, no one's to blame.

For now at least. Each clan has their one special province, and there are two neutrals. So you pick A or B for four of your provinces, take your Clan province and figure out which one of those five you most want to see if the game reaches a state you never want to see.

Unless you're a Seeker role.

Have there been any new provinces spoiled yet?

Yeah I know I don't need mass courtiers on the field but I still need a particular number count of courtiers in my decks to always be able to have a high chance of one always being in play.

I don't think so, if anything, we need more selection in earth provinces.

They're inherently shit if you're up against any other clan that's not dragon.

So Unicorn splashing Lion,

Thinking 3 Banner, 2 For the Greater Glory, and 1 of those Discard Pile pay 1 for +1/+1 attachment.

Is this good?

Banner and Glory for pressure, Attachment for discard buffer for Yumino.

Can't you just take the one that is harder for you to defend? Like take entrenched position as a Crane?

You can, but then your opponent will just declare a political. Even though you're Crane, it might be easier for them to break it as Pol than Mil.

All the normally do is buy you a conflict if they flip the "right" version, they only really are gotcha cards for one conflict. They are not like Night Raid or Shameful Display that can win multiple battles.

When you say banner, you mean the one that stops bowing in military? Speaking as a lion player, I think it’s good, but VERY expensive given it gives no stats.

I’m running it as a 1 of, I think 3 is mental.

So drop to 2 and then chuck in the rest of the Discard Pile attachments maybe?

Playing Crane vs Dragon running into shameful display under their stronghold was just painful.

>shameful display
I'd get the flavor of this card if it was an event

I just don't really get how it is a province. Like, what is the flavor of this place? Do they just serve a fuckton of Sake before every fight here or some shit?

Do we know about when the second cycle is coming out? Immediately after the first cycle ends or is the first cycle going to be followed by a few months without data packs?

I want this so bad, but noo you can only get it if you buy a $50 set.

It is a beautiful garden and attack it is a affront against the emperor

>Betraying your clan

Is it treason if your clan is gone?

>Want to play L5R
>5 listings on roll20; One is a one-shot of the beta, two are paid games, and two are weird community listings that are only listed because they list every game in their LFG page
>Figure I'll just try running a game instead
>My group isn't interested in L5R. They're interested in another system though, and I like it enough to run it, but now I'd rather not GM another game on top of this one

This is hell. I just want to play a Dragon character, maybe a Togashi monk or a Mirumoto taoist swordsman. Why are L5R games so rare online?

If you run a group I will play.

It ain't treason is my clan is vastly inferior in every way to all the other clans.

>Worst Game plan
>Worst Stronghold
>Worst Province
>Worst Way of
>Worst Clan Champion

Yes it is.

I-is that supposed to be a jitte?

niche system, people want to play but not GM. same shit as always.

It ain't no jackrabbit.

>Worst Game plan
Nope.

>Worst Stronghold
Yeah, I get that.

>Worst Province
Arguably yes, but swinging into with a single champion with any amount on it sucks.

>Worst Way of
Hell no. Keeping the on play advantage keeps pressure, you're more likely to claim the Dynasty Fate on pass, declaring the first conflict is a massive deal, and by keeping pressure you have to force your opponent to defend and not further their own strategy - unless they are Crab.

>Worst Clan Champion
Yes, in comparison to the others. Without comparing it to the others, it gels well with the Hit hard and fast strategy.

Try again Scorpion/Lion player.

Usagi Jazzu of Castle Karottosu to the rescue!

Is there any reason why people don't want to GM?

I get that it's got the stigmata of not!Japan setting made by Westerners, but is it more than that?

>Keeping the on play advantage
There are a lot of people who prefer to attack second, because it gives you the final attack. So there is a debate if first is even an advantage.

Frankly it's a hard setting to GM. The players all have their own opinions about what *real* samurai drama is, and as the setting is, it can be rough to even get players to agree to a premise. Most people have played Emerald Magistrates to death, but most people also don't want to play a single-clan game or the like.