Do you typically treat Charisma as a dump stat? Why or why not?

Do you typically treat Charisma as a dump stat? Why or why not?

Depends on character. My alchemist had low one because he was creepy little awkward cunt, while bloodrager, while rather old, was rowdy, outgoing and confident.

Usually I try to match character concepts and classes, since underperforming can hobble the experience, for me and the party.

No, I generally dump wisdom. Most of the people that I play with love rolling spot checks and sense motive and other things like that. When I fail wisdom related checks it usually is funny. Half the people I play with are not the kind of people I want to trust being a party face.

Yes because I can't do justice roleplaying a character that doesn't have autism just like me. Since I'm stupid I can only play characters with below average WIS, and INT is average at best.
So in the end I play as dumb, angry fighters.

Not usually, because I like playing characters who are worthless.

I find I usually dump Intelligence and, given that usually just means an 8, try to justify it as the character being uneducated rather than outright dumb.

I haven't dumped it since my first character. I'll always go for 12 or higher, mostly because I prefer to be chatty in games and Charisma compels people to listen to you. It's led to a couple almost non-viable characters though.

Depends on the DM and the type of game we're running. If the DM makes every NPC a stubborn bastard who won't listen to reason, or a reasonable person who is just deaf to a silver-tongue, then I dump it hard.

Sometimes, but I've played both high and low charisma characters. When I have to face with a low charisma characters because nobody else is going to advance the plot the rest are going to notice it though, and it won't pan out well

usually not.
I mostly play paladins so I tend to use dex as the dump stat.

I'd like to make a low CHA shy young caster, but I play with a bunch of new dudes, so I end up having to face a lot

I'm assuming we're talking about D&D/Pathfinder, as they're the most common games that include Charisma. Charisma has an awkward place of not having a universal use to all characters outside of the skills it controls. This is the main reason it's often used as a dump. Looking at all other stats, there's SOME reason that a character would want to have not-awful values in it, even if someone else in the party is handling the associated skills.
Con: HP and resisting nasty effects
Str: Mostly carrying capacity, weapon damage, melee accuracy (Probably second-most-dumpable if you're a fullcaster, but being able to carry your own gear is nice)
Dex: AC, dodging things, ranged accuracy
Int: Everyone wants skills and languages
Wis: Resisting mental effects

For every stat except for Cha, all characters are punished to some degree for having very low values. Most Cha skills aren't really enhanced by having multiple party members proficient in them (compare to things like stealth and perception, where having more people with them is always good) unless you're splitting the party a lot. That being the case, there is literally no reason to put points in Cha unless you're in a class that uses Cha, of which you should have at least one in your party, and that individual should also handle cha-based skills.

Naturally, this is an awful system if you intend to include even a moderate amount of social interaction in your game. Reducing the vast majority of social interaction to a single stat which only a small band of classes synergize at all with leads to the phenomenon of party faces, in which a single player is required to handle all of the talking, while everyone else sits there, twiddles their thumbs, and occasionally give ideas to the person who gets to talk.

I dump wisdom. True adventurers have no need for this stat

As for me, I tend towards playing Int-based classes when I do play PF, but also tend to be one of the more engaged and outspoken players at the table, meaning that OOC I'm really inclined towards participating in social encounters. "Student of Philosophy" is on basically every PF character I've played, as it renders Cha even more redundant for anyone but cha-casters.

As a gm I usually abuse heavy stat drain for the dump stats with the dump stat being the saving roll.

I dumped strength and made charisma the highest for my most recent character. Currently he has -4 STR.

Is that a -4 str modifier, or an actual score of -4? If you're in a D&D variant, how did you accomplish that, and isn't being at 0 or below a death condition?

-4 mod.
Rolled three ones and a two then copped a -1 from being a goblin. Thus I have 3 strength (-4 mod).

I get away with it thanks to a trait that allows my character to bypass the penalty and instead use Int for Diplomacy and Bluff.

I can't. Nobody ever wants to talk to the important people -or with people in general. So it's always good if I have the stats to back up my character being pretty good socially.

I don't really dump anything. I'm just better at my main stats. I feel like that makes it easier to roleplay.
>tfw your autism ends up causing a civil war
>and then almost causing another
Truly an inspiration to us all.
I actually like Oberstein.

It depends on how important Charisma is. I have a 5e with maxed out Cha (Hexblade Warlock/Paladin) because charisma is their main stat. Whereas when I'm playing my eldritch knight, the Cha is much lower. As long as someone in the party has a decent persuade skill I'm happy.

I like to dump dex, so yeah, but then again - I play a lot of warlocks

Really only depends on your tendency to play social characters or those which use charisma for things in whatever system

In D&D, I really, really like playing sorcerers, so no. Even if I'm playing something else in D&D or playing a system that doesn't have a Charisma-fueled spellcasting class, I still like to raise it as high as I can without totally gimping my character. I like playing characters who are persuasive and/or attractive.