Which settings do vampires justice?

Which settings do vampires justice?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priest_(2011_film)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hellsing

I like the Dresden Files take on vampires

but they aren't a focus of the series.

Warhammer Fantasy

Things with actual roleplaying games? I kind of like Warhammer Fantasy vampires. Otherwise as far as 20th+ century vampire fiction goes I like Hellsing and Legacy of Kain.

VBTM
Daybreakers
Blindsight
Legacy of Kain

All took very different but very interesting takes on vampires.

The one with a good GM?

Any setting where they get burned to final death.

>but they aren't a focus of the series
While the Fae are obviously THE focus when it comes to protagonists, to say that vampires aren't a focus is false. They were incredibly important for a long running arc.

but they showed up or featured prominently for only a couple of books

Requiem: Vampire Knight

That could be said for most magical characters in that series.

Fey, wizards, vampires, god, fucking odin

Most of the boogeymen automatically defaulted to 'fey monsters' and the fey realm was utilized greatly by everyone as pretty much fast travel or a place where fantastical shit can happen

Seconded. The vampires were basically the result of a failed attempt to find immortality.

Also, in early editions they had the basic stat line of a daemon prince.

Holy shit

FUCK YES REQUIEM

It's a pretty tame page from it. Vampire girl riding on werewolf Torquemada is more of the standard level of shit going down.

You have to be over 18 to post on Veeky Forums.

>Implying Hellsing vampires are anything but GOAT

Warhammer.

Alucard is basically Coldsteel the Hedgehog with a better artist.

>This nigga

I like Hellsing, but it really is all style and no substance.

Ya think? It's a textbook example of no internal or external consistency. It is a vehicle for individual cool moments and gives absolutely zero fucks how they occur. It's also animated like rubber masks stretched over anamatronic dolls.

Yes.

as much as I love Nazi Vampires and all their wacky shit in Hellsing, Alucard was mostly annoying with his endless power-ups and being undefeatable. He basically was so powerfull that he had to invent an self-imposed rule that only "True humanz" can "kill" him. But he only let's them kill him, because he feels that way. He could literally dominate the world if he wanted to. Millenium, the church never stood a chance. It's a frustrating experience.
And even if the Schrodinger absorption took him out for a few years: He still came back and is now basically a god who can be everywhere and everytime...

Yeah I never got the whole "only a human can beat a monster thing" when he never even really threw anyone a bone. The closest they got was Anderson, and Alucard went and got a gun specifically meant to beat him, and then got pissy when he tried to level the playing field by becoming Jesus monster.

The point isn't that Alucard literally can only be outmatched by a human [that is clearly bullshit] its that only a human being can kill a monster without just replacing it with another monster.

What would have been accomplished if Nail-Anderson killed Alucard? Now Alucard's dead, one less monster running around? NO, same number, if anything the new one is worse.

Hitler is WMD, too.
Victims are the source of slave labour and blood for the Vampire Empire. But they get released from torment when their tormentor "re-dies".

Some individuals caused so much torment, made so many victims that they don't get to be Vampires.
They become nukes.

That's not exactly consistent with him offering vampirism to characters though

Dresdenverse and Warhammer ones are probably the best. Wod/CofD ones are ok. Out of the ones that got less spotlight I would vote for vampire-conqustadores of MTGs IXalan

There's a lot of questions I want to follow up with, but I feel like a lot of it can be attributed to lazy writing since most of Hellsing just went by "rule of cool"

Now is this as awesome as I really want it to be, or is this a gimmick

I'm pretty sure he only offered that to Seras though, And considering she was dying at the time i'd call it fair play, I honestly always quite liked alucard as a character.

Warhammer.
Vampire Hunter D.
V:TM if it was done a bit better (imo).

That's about it.

Its ludicrously over the top from start to finish.

A new book has been translated into English, the Frank-Einstein wakes up.

>Posting the shity brainless unlimited version
>Not watching the superior original 2001 version
Get your pleb tastes out of here

Hellsing ''vampires'' are more like eldritch abominations.

I liked the netflix Van Helsing series zombie apocalypse take on vampires

>Not watching the superior original 2001 version

You and your opinion are objectively shit.

Fun juvenile power fantasy. Essentially action vampire junk food.

What We Do in the Shadows.

imo everything in VtM would be between perfect and okay if it got rid of all the "this is a world of darkness where everything is edgy" thing. Just make it so goth fashion became mainstream like rapper hoodies did irl, if you want goth stuff.

muh nigger of excellent taste.

i have high hopes for the sequal.

>sequel
I'm still fucking pissed they didn't actually name it What We Do in the Moonlight.

I got some Vampirella books from the latest Paizo-Worldscape bundle, but it had just some early stuff. Is the setting any good or is it generic Blade-esque drivel with fanservice?

Other than that, I also recommend Wargamers and cWoD (but only with a decent ST.)

We're Wolves is clearly a superior punnier name.

Nah famalam, he's right.

Not tabletop games, but I really like how The Witcher 3's portrayal of vampires.

And Castlevania.

>super speed
>doesn't need to actually drink human blood
>doesn't die from the sun
>alpha as fuck and gets the bitches
>has a dozen or so college degrees for the lulz
>sometimes can see the future
Twilight has best vampires, prove me wrong. Protip: you can't.

I don't know, man, it just lacks class.
Like, "What We Do in..." is a perfect segue for numerous types of supernatural creatures.
What We Do in the Afterlife (ghosts), What We Do in the Graveyard (zombies) etc. etc.
They could've established continuity, but they instead opted for a not-really-witty pun.

Darren Shan series.

>Protip: you can't

>Emotionally unstable
>Are willing to reach 100 years old as virgins
>Get cucked by werewolves

There's your proof.

This nigga gets it.

Boooring

>written by a woman
>written for women
Gotcha bitch.

There is also the part where she makes Torqemada have sex with her while she's talking to another vampire in his full wolf form while he's calling her a harlot and what not

Le epic grin
Le epic smug smile
Le epic unbeatable badass
Le nuassee but they over the top haha

Its such a shitty creation.

>failed attempt
No failed, just incomplete. They got immortality, but also an unwanted drawback that very few found out how to cure.

That may be true on some meta-philosophical level or whatever, but the basic facts are that baseline humans are completely incapable of doing anything to him.

He contually offers integra iirc

While I like the idea of having different classes of vampires with some being pretty much like animals, I still like the idea of having people turn into vampires and become thralls and shit like that.

What am I looking at and where can I find moar?

It's glaringly obvious that its been written by a kid and there's a ton of arbitrary and unnecessary changes to the classic vampire mythos, but I like those books too.

>that picture on his wiki page

Women are people too.

Yeah, it's like a shitty DeviantArt fanfic from like 2006.

Personally I’m a huge fan of the comic series American vampire by Scott Snyder. It’s take on the whole vampire Mythos is pretty cool to me since the type of vampire you are depends on where you are from and how you were changed. Also the novel V wars has a pretty great take on the mythos as well.

>My associates of African American decent.
How the flat fuck is your shit better. The animation? Sure I'll give you that. But everything else was way worse.
Just look at what your ova did to Victoria, in the 2001 Version she was one of the best parts of the show, she had a real character and some interesting chemistry with Alucard, for fucks sakes, just look at how they were introduced in both versions.
>2001
>watches all her company die to a supernatural threat
>Keeps fighting as the last one left even when she knows she can't win
>when the preist trys to take her as a hostage she orders Alucard to shoot him through her of her own will, that's how much she wants that fucker dead.
>Gets resurrected by Alucard out of the respect he gained for her from that act of pure spite and guardsman teir Titanium balls.

>Ultimate
>Scared shitless and doesn't fight back as she's captured.
>Doesn't struggle or try to get out of the preists grip.
>Gets molested while crying for pointless shock value
>Gets shot by Alucard anyway with no input just her looking like a scared pussy ass bitch
>Resurrected by Alucard for "I saw something in you" levels of bullshit

And that's the whole fucking problem with your gore want 13yo mess. The original was a story about an interesting occult hunting organization, with cool characters.
Ultimate was about wanking off Alucard for 10 episodes.

Offered it to Seras when she was dying but he constantly hinted that he'd give it to Integra if she asked but she was stalwart in refusing him. It's why he was so loyal. She was a perma-virgin that he either wanted to corrupt or enjoyed the company of the one character that had absolutely no interest in giving up her humanity for power, hence why he had a boner for Walter until Walter went vampire and he spent the entire fight shit talking him for his decision.

Twilight vampires, but unironically.

No mention of Ravenloft yet? Seriously? I know it's obvious, but still.

This movie was pretty garabge but I liked how the thralls and vampires were done
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priest_(2011_film)

Hunter.

Only good vamp is a dead vamp.

Ravenloft is pretty much tabletop Castlevania.

The TV adaptation of blade. Even if it's just because they have a carbon copy of Sebastian LaCroix as the main antagonist and and a Loli Vampire Noble.
Also, True Blood if you don't mind all the fucking.

That's why it's so great.

13 bullets was a nice departure from the norm.

Grave Peril (which is arguably the real start of the series, setting up the long-running plotlines instead of the first couple books which work as standalones), Death Masks, Blood Rites, White Night, and Changes. At least a third of the books features vampires of one court or another as the major antagonists, not to mention the books where they pop up in minor roles (like Madrigal Raith in Proven Guilty, or Thomas and Susan in pretty much every book).

In terms of character-defining moments for Harry and other main characters, vamps are more important than the Denarians. The fey only beat them out because of the broader implications that everything gets tied back to the fey realms due to cosmological reasons.

Ravenloft

read Van Richten's Guide to Vampires

Requiem Chevalier Vampire

So do most other creatures.

Vampires play a prominent role in:
-Grave Peril (Red and Black)
-Blood Rites (White and Black)
-Death Masks (Red)
-Dead Beat (Black)
-White Knight (White)
-Turn Coat (White)
-Changes (Red)

That's seven books out of fifteen, almost half, spanning books 2 to 10.

Consider that The Fae are of prominence in Grave Peril, Summer Knight, Death Masks, Proven Guilty, Small Favor, Changes, Cold Days and Skin Game. That's eight books.

The vampires are just as big a part of the Dresden story as Fae are. Its just the NOW the vampire side of the story has largely been closed.

Warhammer

>featured prominently
Do we count Thomas here or what?

is that art from the mage books?

>netflix Van Helsing
It's actually scyfy, which is why the new season is currently locked behind a bullshit cable paywall

Shame about the anime, but at least the manga is good.

>The fey only beat them out because of the broader implications
And because they're dominating Harry's (and Molly's) current character arc, which was kicked off by... Vampires. Hell, the most important bad guys (black council) have only truly shown up in the fewest number of books, while the Chicago mob has shown up in the most

Wondering why one woman needs so much chain to keep her down and also why those chains aren't actually arranged in a manner that would be holding her down.

I'm not hearing enough people mentioning Innistrad. Your bloodline is weak.

Granted, but the point is that only a human being in mind and spirit could do the deed. Its why Anderson could have won if he hadn't used the Nail.

Its why the Major DID win [and fuck the shitty last second Alucard survives ending, the ending is absolutely perfect if you just ignore the part where Alucard comes back at the end for no reason 30 years later].

Speaking of inistrad, it always reminds me of the PS2 game Primal which had some really good Vampires in it for a while.

>True Blood if you don't mind all the fucking.
yeah. there was actually some cool stuff. if you ignore all the main character love triangle shit.

Can someone explain this?

Touhou

>original
The 2001 anime isn't the original, you mong. The manga is. Guess how that one goes?

>That may be true on some meta-philosophical level or whatever, but the basic facts are that baseline humans are completely incapable of doing anything to him.
Not true, recall that he was shackled to begin with by a bunch of normal humans. Well, as far as we know. Maybe they were all Illuminati wizards or something.

Admittedly, we have absolutely fuckall idea HOW this occurred or is supposed to occur, since as you point out he's just physically obscenely powerful, but the canon explanation seems to be that raw power isn't the point, it's humanity. Poorly defined, nebulous humanity.

Also doesn't mesh terribly well with 's point about the Major, since the way he pulled it off was with bullshit science and enough clout to start a massacre/war, not using his human nature as a bludgeon. I guess you could argue the way a human uses its humanity is however that human knows best, so the original Hellsing crew used bolt-action rifles, Anderson used infinite magic swords, and the Major used wanton crimes against man and God.

Nosferatu.

Congrats, you passed your perception check with flying colors.
As for the reason, that woman is literally one of the strongest beings in her entire universe, known as Type Earth.

Pure lies
It's how Arcueid sleeps while Roa isn't causing trouble
Archetype is just Gaia possessing Arcueid