/bgg/ Board Games General - 2-player and coop edition

/bgg/ Board Games General - 2-player and coop edition

Previous thread
Map
zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#

Pastebin
pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu

Let's talk some about 2-player games and coop games. Those often get swept under the rug a bit I feel.

What are your favorite 2-player games?

What are your favorite coop games?

Pic related is my absolute favorite 2-player game. Great theme and visuals, great mechanics, super fun as well as tense, plays quick, easy to teach, you always wanna play another round, perfect for skilled gamers as well as newcomers. Highly recommended.

Other 2-player games are good, but if you must get a 2-player game, Tash Kalar is a masterpiece.

My favourite is probably Commands and Colors: Ancients, it is definitely the game I've played the most

Only problem is that luck is a pretty huge factor when it comes to single battles, but is really kept to a minimum once you get to about 15-20 plays; but when teaching newbies it can easily happen that they either win the game through luck and feel unfulfilled, or that they lose through bad die rolls/cards.

But put two experienced players against each other and the "maneuvering" part of each battle before battle is joined becomes both heavily extended, and increasingly tense, because simply acting based on what is probable rather than possible evens out the luck aspect.

Is pandemic co-op game or just a communal puzzle game? Do the expansions make it less predictable?

Any suggestions on bright and colourful co-op games to get a non-gamer into games? Generally short, and nothing too complicated but not too simple either.
I've got pandemic on the way, Flash Point:Fire Rescue sounded pretty good too and Big Book of Madness sounded quite fun but I did wonder about its longevity.

Oh, and some times this happens

Does anyone know how Betrayal at Balders Gate is? Is it an actually fun different take on the game or basically like the different Monopoly's and just a new set of paint on the same old rules?

I recently bought the Expansion pack for Betrayal, I was a little worried about the the inclusion of certain politically charged writers but honestly the only one I that was even a little political didn't even specifically strawman Trump, it was about a Lich president and was alright. I suppose there's not really much room for agenda pushing in such a small package anyway.

>
FFG own the rules user, same as the most recent version of Fury of Dracula. Wizkids can use the name maybe, but they'll have to be different enough to most likely not be compatible.

Increase the difficulty if you're beating Pandemic regularly.

Rules aren't ownable, only art assets are. They can be trademarked, as WotC did to d20, but there's no reasonable argument that people associate the rules of Forbidden Stars with the brand of FFG.

It still doesnt make it less predictable

So? Every game is predictable. (If it's not predictable then it's not a game.)

Being predictable is what makes it possible to play.

Reformulate your complaint in a non-retarded way, please.

Grid > Hex

Wow, those are the ugliest meeples I've ever seen.

I ment less predictable as in Flashpoint where its harder to determine where the fire escalates and you cant really memorize the patterns

Why don't you just flip a coin instead to see if you lose? That's unpredictable.

Again, reframe your complaint in a non-retarded way.

Yes, the patterns in Pandemic are immediately obvious to anybody who bothered to read the rules. Clearly figuring out the rules isn't the point of the game, optimizing card transfer efficiency is.

(I'd understand if you complained that a set collection game is not fun, but that's not what you said and you framed your post in the most moronic way possible.)

I think he means that an experienced group can determine in the early game whether or not the game is actually winnable.

>I think he means that an experienced group can determine in the early game whether or not the game is actually winnable.
I'm pretty sure pretty much every game of Pandemic is winnable. Getting to the point where you win every time is kinda the whole point of the game.

>games with dice
>not dogshit
Please, pick exactly one

I pick fukking your mom :-)

Is this good?

Castles of Burgundy? It's a classic, if a bit point-salady.

But is the dice version fun in itself?

"the dice version" is the main version.

I absolutely love Hive but Onitama is another good chess-like game

Sorry, I only know the main and the card game, so assumed you meant the main one

>What are your favorite 2-player games?
I know I've been saying this a lot recently, but STRONGHOLD. It's just stupid good.
Netrunner, Duke, Onitama, and Santorini still work pretty well for me, though.

>What are your favorite coop games?
Good one, OP.
Consulting detective is still as close as I get.
Thinking about giving First Martians a shot though.

Does Secret Hitler count as ccop?

No, team v team is still competitive.

Probably the best of the social deduction games like Resistance and such

It's hidden role/social deduction, which is its own category.

I rarely play two player games, but I like Santorini and Star Realms. There's probably better stuff but I mostly play in bigger groups.
Shit nigga I love coops. Shadows of Brimstone, Escape : curse of the temple and Pandemic are my three fave games ever.

I like it quite a bit better than The Resistance, especially if you're talking without expansion packs. And it's absolutely the best produced.
But it still doesn't give you a lot of texture in which to come up with interesting lies, and little incentive for the liberals to ever do anything at all duplicitous.
Mafia de Cuba can misfire pretty bad if people aren't paying attention, but it still holds on to the #1 spot for me.

Truly? Only watched a game of mafia de cuba but it seemed to "break" too easily. I reckon it depends very much on the gaming group (obviously). Most of my group are sadly more on the analytical side, which works great, but tends to give too little room to make mistakes/play the "bad guy" role, and secret hitler has enough hidden information you can lie about without putting yourself in the spotlight immediately (unlike resistance for example), yet it still gives enough room to be analytic. Plus the powers the fascist policies give to a player make for very interesting situations, albeit in smaller rounds the game is pretty much over for the side that lost a member.

Maybe I should give mafia a try. The box is extremely cool and small, I think the price drove me off initially, but that might just have been because the game just came out when I looked into buying it.

Can anyone recommend a 2 play entry level game to get gf into tabletop? Preferably coop as she gets angry easily.

Forbidden Island and Pandemic are your gateway coops.

Mafia isn't without issues either - we had to housrule in the godfather secretly removing 1d6 diamonds instead of picking a number, and at high playercount the last few people to get the box often don't have many choices unless you load the box with more tokens than the rulebook recommends.

But when it works well, it's had the most interesting plays I've run into in the genre.

Not entirely true. You couldn't just copy the rulebook word for word and change "Space Marine" to "Robot Warrior" or something. If you wanted to use the ruleset, you would have to write the rulebook in a way that does not infringe on their original writing.

>beautiful wooden components

I like lost cities. I don't play many 2 player games. I also like Odin's Ravens. Two player games tend to be filler that gets played while waiting for other people.

Flashpoint
Lord of the Rings
Legends of Andor
Shadows of Brimstone
Sword & Sorcery (These last two don't really count as coop, since they are dungeon crawls with AI)

>Shadows of Brimstone, Escape : curse of the temple

my boiiii

I thought user's Mom was pretty dicey too...

Those... Those are "Plastic Meeples!"
(The Horror.... The Horror...)

Flashpoint

Out of the coops Flash Point seems to do better than Pandemic in my experience, but both are really good. Once she's okay with confrontation look to the old KOSMOS 2p line or Jaipur

>going to game group tonight
>fiancee, their sibling, and their dad
>introduced pandemic
>let them learn strats on their own
>more fun than alpha gaming
>getting the hang of the game
>told me pandemic was getting easy
>busting out this tonight

Oh man, I'm excited

Core box is 120 dollars... let's see how far we can push this with add-ons.

Big dragon eh? Nice.

The Devil? Woah.

Huge armies and now for up to 6 players?! Damn!

WAITHOW MANY POUNDS OF PLASTIC?!?!?!

Ya this game definitely falls into the category of "boring as shit but worth it for the models" if you're into the models, especially if you want premade terrain

I'd actually really like the 3D models for the Devil's big farmhouse and almost everything in the siege expac.

You should write "Gay" disease on the container. Fits the purple.

Bio-terrorist is secretly a tranny spreading poz loads

Yeah, unless they turn out like the core game of Shadows of Brimstone.

Great game, miniatures are garbage - lack detail, break easily.

/KS plastic pusher shilling general/ should be a thing.

GW owns Fury of Dracula, and Wiz Kids have already announced reprinting Fury of Dracula

So praise be to WizKids

you can just discard a card to order any one unit though

>plastic meeples with mould lines and injection points

are they even meeples if they aren't wood?

Why do people pretend like 3+ player games can ever be skill-based?
Thats not how it works

Literally read about how Joan of arc is supposed to be "good value for money"
Its one of hundreds of miniature focussed KS that people fund for nothing but the minis.
Nothing inherently bad in that, but while I do like minis as much as the next guy, I can't seem to understand the hunger for more and more minis. I'd rather pay a fraction of the price if a game had a brilliant system but used wood tokens or cardboard prints.

1. This is why most people really serious about """skill""" prefer eurogames with limited interaction.
2. Get over it, no one cares.

negotiation is a skill

ah yes, the age of eurogame of "skill means I played the game more than you"

t. agricola players

Try not being ugly so people don't beat up on you

this is literally you

it's literally not at all fighting game execution (which is universal across all fighting games)

it's "how did the designer hide the points this time, and what's the most efficient one"

>Wizkids
>producing anything of quality
pick one and only one.

Why fighting games are hard would be better described as 'Devs are shit at tutorials, so it's hard to get into it as a newbie'. There is a lot of concepts (Even stuff as basic as cancelling out of attacks) that simply don't turn up in fighting game tutorials and are not immediately visible.

I'm not up on current board games, unfortunately my group is more casual/fun game crowd and not the brightest. (Ticket to ride was confusing, Splendor was almost too complex, one person exchanged coins multiple times instead of buying cards and didn’t understand why I wouldn’t let her pass her turn) it’s rough but I get to play MTG for strategy and the occasional real board game at my FLGS during magic events

Have you tried just introducing them to Carcassonne? At least there, there's no chance of passing because you're required to put down that fucking tile on your turn, so what they have to focus on instead is where to put it best and whether to put a meeple on it.

This is the correct reason to recommend Carcassonne.

>Too Many Bones kickstarter up
>Game is all dice, poker chips, and cards. No miniatures.
>Somehow it's as expensive as this shit

Are poker chips and dice that expensive or is there something seriously fuckin fishy with those devs? It looks like a neat game but holy fuckin shit.

>I don't understand how expensive the quality depressed player mats really cost
I didn't even pay for it and I know why it cost so much. If you don't like Chip Theory games or whatever they call themselves quality then don't pay for it but that shit is actually top notch

Is Orleans good for a group of casuals starting to try heavier games?

Noice to meet likeminded people.

It seems pretty neatto.

Yep. It will fee heavy at first but as a first step into heavy it is fine.

Cool. Can you recommend some light-medium games for my group? Preferrably for 4-6 people, with lots of interactions among players (they tend to get bored otherwise)

7 wonders is pretty good and scales well from 4 to 7 players (sucks with 2, meh with 3, I like it best with 5). It's got some player interaction, but not a ton of direct conflict. Simultaneous card draft every turn makes sure everyone's involved all the time.

how's ttr confusing

Aside from CCGs and LCGs,
-Star Realms is awesome. I'll play any day of the week. Hero Realms is okay competitive, better as a co-op (I just received Ruin of Thandar Campaign Deck).
-100 Swords is a great deckbuilder which flew under the radar. You walk through a dungeon and pick up equipment and defeat monsters as you go. You win by acquiring the most treasure. 100 Swords has such much content available, giving it a lot of replayability and customisation options.

Shadowrun: Crossfire is amazing because you actually earn persistent rewards and upgrades from session to session.
I just got Aeon's End and I'm looking forward to playing that.

4-6 is a difficult range if you want it to work for all the possible player counts. 4-5 has a lot, lot more games to offer.
Power Grid works for 6 and is definitely interactive, with an auction mechanism, shared resource market and route blocking. It's not rule heavy either, although you better make sure all the people you play with are fine constantly doing arithmetics.
Letters from Whitechapel has dead simple rules and is a 1 vs Many hidden movement game where you're trying to catch one of the players. Obviously interactive by its very nature, but it's a brain burning, thinky game.
7 Wonders was already mentioned. It has simple rules, scales nicely and plays quickly, though I'd say the interaction is quite limited and mostly about making sure you either use up or burn the card your neighbor could make good use of.
Keyflower gets mentioned often as a medium-weight game that goes up to 6 players, but I haven't played it so can't give you my opinion on it.

Because his group is made of the stupidest mathematicians on the planet who can't grock nodes being connections and connections being nodes.

>it's "how did the designer hide the points this time, and what's the most efficient one"
No. "How did the designer hide the points this time" is readily apparent from just reading the rulebook. (Unless you're a retard.)

Being good at something like Agricola or Le Havre is significantly harder and required much more than just knowing the rules.

>Being good at something like Agricola or Le Havre is significantly harder and required much more than just knowing the rules.
Hence the "how did the designer hide the points" comment: not how you score them, which is apparent, but what are the best game interactions to score them in a convenient time, which is not and sometimes hard to discern from the rulebook alone, especially when the game uses random elements that aren't all listed in the rulebook or don't come up every game like different objectives or a deck of cards

Being better than your peers at Agricola cna be done with experience, but it can also be done with less time and brainpower invested by just reading up on strats on bgg, so don't make it like playing Euros is the final frontier for the intelligent gamer. I play with a dude who wins almost eveyr Euro we play (while whining all the time about losing, which is incredibly irritating) but is literally too stupid to not get blown off the board at Twilight Imperium on the second/third round because he can't understand the simple concept of "don't fly your shit everywhere without having built a defensive position and watch for gaps that lead to core territories"

>(while whining all the time about losing, which is incredibly irritating)
Haha there's one of these guys in every group. I literally cannot play Tigris and Euphrates with one of my friends because the concept of scoring by lowest resource is unfathomable to him and makes him think he's losing the whole game, somehow.

Some people just can't seem to read a game score in progress and always think they are last.

You'd think they'd at least have the ability to recognize a pattern and/or shut up when asked multiple times, but no.

Keyflower is great at any player count, but it's a bit on the long, heavy side.
Art makes it look happy, tame and bland, but hell, what a game. The mix of mechanics seems a bit confusing but it all makes sense and clicks into place after a couple plays.
>You use meeples as both workers and bidding currency.
>You bid on tiles with your meeples and the winner uses the tiles to build his village.
>Every tile has a different effect which you can use by placing your workers on them.
>Each tile can be used multiple times, by placing one more meeple than the last player that used the tile, up to a maximum of 6 meeples on the tile.
>You can use those effects whether the tile is on your village, on any other player's village and even on an unbuilt tile that's still being bid for in the market.
>You get to keep the other player's meeples that went to work on your village.
>Tiles can be upgraded for better effects/more points using resources.
>Resources are gold, stone, wood, metal and tools, which are produced on different tiles.
>Sets of tools, coloured meeples, and resources are worth points on game end.

Set collection, worker placement, bidding, tile laying, pick up and deliver, resource management all rolled into one game. It is much meaner than the theme would suggest.

I can't fucking wait! I am so hyped for this! Two more months of waiting at the most! Call me a shill or a plastic toy if you want I don't even care. GOOO DECEMBER!!

>muscle ripping
>abs
>faces
>proportions
why would you do that to yourself?

I was thinking about buying Keyflower, but its offensively ugly. I usually dont care about muh theme, but I want games at least not to look like somebody vomited on the table

>Two more months of waiting at the most!
>Two months at the most!
>at the most!
>the most!

>meh with 3
I like it with 3, more interaction although you cannot really block resources like 4+. I actually like it less at 5+, you don't see cards enough and it bogs some. It's still my only game for 6 or 7 players.

>can't wait
>has no other option

those are a little more than a case of chessex d6

plus it's a kickstarter, if I ever do one $75 is going to be a tee and $200 you'll get the instructions. base game will start at about $500. you'll back it and you'll like it.

what is a cheap source of minis?

I'm back to d&d and minis on ebay are like fucking gold. I've seen some people mention games with minis that are toss the board cheap.

I think the minis look great.

I also have no other option than waiting when it comes to movies I'm excited for so not sure what your point.

Reaper Bones seems to be the go-to for cheap minis.