Dark Elf Food

What do dark elves eat? We know that Naggarond isn't exactly a farmer's paradise but they obviously don't get ALL of their food from raiding and pillaging, and unlike the dark eldar this doesn't seem to be some kind of overly unnatural arrangement where they "feed on murder" or what have you. Presumably, many of those slaves work on farming *something*.

We know what humans eat, we know what wood and high elves eat, now thanks to the Total War games (assuming you're willing to consider them canon) we even have a pretty good idea of the dwarf diet. But what about the Druchii?

fish

Ah, I suspected as much.

Naggaroth has plenty of woodland. It's pretty dark and evil woodland, but there must be shit to hunt. Likewise Naggaroth is inhabited by chaos humans, and these need to eat something as well. Not hard to imagine that the druchii set up farmlands there, workd on by slaves.

They have massive plantations further in the south where the ground is more fertile. Slaves that are worked to death on these fields are left to rot in order to aid fertilization.

It could also be that killed slaves serve as an additional food source.

Fish, plankton, sea greens... proteins from the sea.

You can't hunt and gather for a civilization of this magnitude. Some kind of massive scale agriculture definitely happens.

What do they grow there? I thought everything in that region was some combination of "thorny", "toxic" and "carnivorous"?

What do dwarves and other elves eat?

Watermelon

Dwarfs - a special strain of barley that grows on mountains, made into both beer and pastries, as well as goat/goat products. We also know they can like fruits, as the game specifies "nutty fig pudding" is one of Thorgrim's favorite desserts (in what might be one of the funniest quests in the game).

High elves - mostly wheat and fruit. Drink a lot of wine. Stated to be primarily vegetarian but can stomach a little red meat on occasion (they raise cattle on Ulthuan and hunting is a popular pastime on the Outer Kingdom, which must have evolved from hunting for food). In the game, the description of one of their technologies also explicitly mentions salting fish, so we know they do that as well.

Wood Elves - Mostly hunt and gather, but A. their population has always been fairly small and B. Athel Loren is literally magically bountiful for them, like the planet of Pandora from James Cameron's Avatar. It provides for their needs in return for protection. We also know they have vineyards and orchards on the slopes that produce high quality wine and fruit.

Athel Loren is not the entire Wood Elf realm, though.

It's the vast majority.

I bet cold ones taste like gator

I think the dwarfs also do lots of trade with humans.

Maybe, but given their fortress mentality I can't imagine they have many settlements that outright rely on trade for sustenance. It seems more likely to me that they'd strive to create the infrastructure to theoretically provide for their food needs themselves (e.g. with barley and goats), then trade with humans for luxury foods or surplus when possible. This way, they can't be starved to death if the local humans decide to betray them somehow.

The Total War games aren't canon. Whether you like it or not, canon is now AoS.

That meal clearly assumes D&D style drow. The Druchii live in a very different kind of environment and have a very different culture.

That’s really great and stuff but also when you change the subject text to another subject matter entirely for what I can only assume are personal hangups you mostly look like the kind of sperg that nobody wants to associate with.

I can only recognize the shells and the cheese (no idea what type of cheese could be made from underground, though)

What the fuck is the rest of these?

Fish
Large plantations manned by slaves
Killing and eating the slaves themselves
The various beasts that they domesticate and use in battle (cold ones, hydras and whatnot)

center: thousand year egg
bottom: amethyst
bottom left: wood ear mushrooms
bottom right: mushrooms stuffed with fish eggs
center: probably wine of some kind
left: hematite

aw shit man, I love me some amethyst and hematitie for dinner

Yes.

A better question is what do beastmen eat? A warherd comprised of thousands and thousands of 300lb roided monsters who refuses to eat anything but meat. Where do they get their logistics from? Do they have carefully tended meat farms, with organized meat supply trains? Consider how much food and water a single ghorgon would need every single day just to maintain itself. Now consider that along with thousands of gors,ungors, minotaurs, cygors etc. And im not even going to mention skaven

Beastmen have never made much sense logistically. And the fact that the Skaven regularly face mass starvation if they don't cull their numbers through warfare/internal backstabbing is a major fluff point for them.

>We know that Naggarond isn't exactly a farmer's paradise

>Further south, the thin soil is more fertile, allowing sparse pine forests to grow. Here, the Dark Elves have huge plantations to feed the cities by slaves who labour until they drop dead, their bodies left to nourish the barren soil.

>Warhammer Armies: Dark Elves (8th Edition)

The answer to your question is that the land is very shitty, but they have a LOT of land, which inevitably means they have immense fields producing poor harvests (for the size of their worked land) by extreme slave labor.

Dark Elves have slaves grow all their food for them. The nobility eat quite well and what they're accustomed to, so probably the same as Ulthuan.

>The nobility eat quite well and what they're accustomed to

Except for the Cold One Knights.

Pussy and ass

Beastmen eat weak ungors probably.

Don't they just eat each other on a long march?

What do they grow there?

All the other images from that meme set include currency of some kind or another, so I can only assume that's what those are for.

>Be me
>Leader of a small warband of beastmen
>Prepare for raiding season
>Know a guy who knows a guy
>He hooks me up with a Gorgon who joins the band
>Aww yiss time to fuck up some southlanders

>Day 2
>The Gorgon has eaten everyone in the warband except for me
>The Gorgon ate the guy who knew the guy too
>And the guy
>Hes hasn't had breakfast yet
>Starts looking at me appraisingly
>Ohshit.chaosbanner

seafood, the fauna of naggaroth is also edible (mamoth and stuff)

presumably crops that are adapted to the environment

Cannibals

Subtle.

Beastmen will eat just about any meat, and survive even if its rotten. Presumably they just eat whatever they can hunt, fight, or their weakest members.

I think the vast majority of the toe Beast men herds are the size of small tribes, the huge ones only happen on rare occasions where beaten from hundreds of miles around gather

I would've thought they didn't have any whales.

I also think that the Druchii trade a lot with northerners (that are gonna fish around not!newfoundland, so expect frequent contact).

You mean Norscans?

Pemmican. Venison. Bread, cheese, sausage, and whatever other groceries they can raid from Publix.

kek

/v/irgins.

doesn't sound nutritious

Fresh as harvest day!

CalorieMate?

black bread, tears, jolly ranchers.

What magnitude is that ?
I agree with you on the principle but I'm curious as if we know about the demography of the dark elves.

Fishery is the most likely source of food.

Why do you think they are raiding that much, even when they know it's suicidal ?
For them, it's either death or feast.

They can also kill and eat mammoths from the frozen wastes and sea monsters from the boiling sea.

When it comes to "farming", I've always pictured them having caves under their cities where they grow mushrooms and cultivate larva and stuff, but that's what they feed their slaves and the real Dark Elves would only eat that if it was a famine and there wasn't anything else to eat.

I think that the idea of dark elves always eating mushrooms stems mostly from D&D's drow living in the underdark. That's why I said the Druchii are a very different example since most fundamentally, they don't live underground.

Same thing every other fantasy race eats, dog turds.

They don't have dogs, though.

Apples.

"A dark reflection of their virtuous counterparts, the Teir'Dal employ torture as an appetizer, with their victims—sentient or otherwise—ending as the main course. Blood saturates nearly every dish, and the most skilled preparers of hearts receive as much acclaim in Neriak as their counterparts in Felwithe do for pheasants and tarts."

>tfw included this detail in an EverQuest fanfic to justify the dark elf villain groping a high elf's boob.

>>tfw included this detail in an EverQuest fanfic to justify the dark elf villain groping a high elf's boob.
How did you justify that?

To sum up the other EverQuest races, if anyone's bored:

>Humans
Basically what you'd expect them to eat in Hollywood Middle Ages.

>Barbarians
Fish, mammoths

>Erudites
Fish, other marine life

>Trolls and Ogres
Prefer meat, but will eat whatever. Will sometimes kidnap a gnome, stuff it with poisonous mushrooms, then roast it on a spit.

>Wood elves
Very little meat, preferring wild berries, veggies, and other foraged goods. They eat them in casseroles, pies, or just eat them raw.

>High elves
Small, balanced meals rich with spices and an assortment of textures and flavors. Many regard a capable chef as highly as an accomplished wizard or cleric.

>Halflings
Similar to wood elves, but with more emphasis on gardens than foraging. Meals are appetizers, desserts are the main course.

>Dwarves
Wild game, mushrooms, roots.

>Gnomes
Throw everything in a pot and cover it in cheese.
Side note, the "gnomish brew barrel" halves the time needed to brew beer, wine, or liquor, and is widely regarded the single greatest contribution by gnomes to modern civilization.

>Iksar (lizardpeople)
Small animals and fish, often eaten live. They often test themselves by eating unpleasant things, like giant scorpions.

>Vah Shir (cat people)
Meat and beetles flavored with fungi

By having him go on about how he's going to eat her heart, and emphasizing his point by putting his hand over it.

Ah, smooth.

Salted fish.

Pickled fish.

Gefilte fish?

Mm, and jellied fish.