He is a wizard in a medieval fantasy world

>he is a wizard in a medieval fantasy world
>he doesn't use lightning magic to mass-produce the most valuable material known to mankind

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>I should be able to invent guns in a medieval fantasy simulator!

Then you shouldn't have any problem inventing a new group to play with.

How is anyone in a medieval fantasy world even going to have a concept of what any of that shit is?

Then what, loser? There aren't any aerospace applications for your aluminum in magic-fantasy-land

Because it stops being valuable when you do that.

This is why I stopped letting people play Alchemists in my games. Every fucking time they try to do this shit.

>Magic exists and there are only four elements, but I assume that has no consequences for physics and chemistry!

"It's magic" goes both ways

It means you don't need to worry about where the energy comes from to create the lightning, what you're pulling the electrons from, how you can force it to follow it's intended path instead of going the path of least resistance etc.

it also means that casting it at an electromagnet connected to a piston deals 1d6 points of damage per level to the electromagnet.

Now, I don't even know what this is supposed to mass-produce, but I can tell you this: if you're a fucking wizard you can just magic whatever that is up a lot easier. That's the whole fucking point of magic.

>then what loser? there aren't any electronic applications for your gold in magic-fantasy-land
aluminium was the single most valuable thing until ad 1900
or just make a flying castle and golems airdropping alchemist fire

>Now, I don't even know what this is supposed to mass-produce
Look at the part where it says "Siphon to retrieve..."

>implying 'aluminium' even exists in fantasy land
>implying the super light metal can't be produced by introducing refined elemental air into the metal smelting process
>implying this hasn't been common practice for decades

Sounds like a pretty shitty wizard famalam.

>implying that physics stay the same in the world where magic exists
>impying that physics are the same as in real life in any fictional world
In my world Aristotlean physics apply. That means no atomism and no Newtonian physics.
Your move, law-man.

aluminium are you fucking illiterate

i electrolyse common materials into elementals

Where are you getting electrons in an aristotilian system?

>refined elemental air
That just makes bessemer steel

elemental air-fire

>elemental air-fire
That's Paraelemental Smoke, you clueless sod.

This. Also, pretty sure ops figure requires a stable and regulated current

>dm says its a medieval fantasy world
>player uses meta gaming to try and change that thinking he is clever

Yeah. And Mithral is STILL better

It was valuable precisely because there weren't wizards mass producing it at the time.

even if i am the entire production as long as i don't sell under the price or to much the price doesn't change

then what makes lightning mister aristotle

>The cartel of aluminium wizard producers

You think other wizards won't see what you're doing?

just air

so? with my headstart i can afford to keep them down
t. flying alu golems

Canonically, Air and Positive Energy.

then what do we breath

>>he doesn't use lightning magic to mass-produce the most valuable material known to mankind
You can use lightning to mass-produce antimatter?

Daily reminder that if your setting has plate mail guns shouldn't be out of the question.

*blocks your path*

The fire and ice mage guilds won't stand for this monopoly on electricity production!

We'll use the temperature differential from opposing fire and ice magelock stones to power thermoelectric generators.

Oh cool, so Impetus Physics are in play. Objects inherently slow down unless actively propelled by an external force. This means by isolating the system I can collect and store cold energy, saturate it with air and water (are we using mercurial, salt, and sulfur elements as well? Or no paracelsus expansion?), and viola! I'm Mr. Freeze.

Kinda stable at least. Also, 220kA is a just fucking astronomical amount of current. That ain't "1d6 of damage", that's "the elephant explodes, those standing nearby are killed by flying chunks of flash-boiled flesh". It's the kind of current you get, very briefly, when you hook up your average 40W light bulb to a quarter of a billion volts. It's twice of the biggest actual lightning bolts, and those are nearly instant things, this would be a continuous current. The wizard who can jab someone's fingers in a wall socket a dozen times a day is going to need a microscope to see his monthly production.

>the most valuable material known to mankind
thicc waifus ?

There's a reason aluminium production plants are usually built near power plants. (or have their own)

Antimatter isn't a material

Just don't put it on the market. Diamonds are more common than other precious gems but are in an artificial market and sell for high amounts.

I raise OP, I see your aluminum business and play my diamond manufacturing company. With a fake dwarf business mining front.

It's a-material!
>laughtrack.mp4

>antimatter known in the medieval world

Homunculusfags go and stay go
>this is now a mages guild thread

Medieval world with magic, mind you. Their science would be far more advanced than in our world, because they could use divination magic and summoning to easily get answers to their questions we had to find out the hard way.

Well lightning does apparently produce minuscule amounts of antimatter.

Would it be possible to utilize peasant railguns in order to accelerate rods of some element, and at high enough speeds, fuse them together in an effective particle accelerator?

You'll need a lot of skeletons to calculate their optimal placement.

If through some method you can make it loop, sure

Of course

Only if we wanted to be space efficient! Given a sufficiently large landmass, we could snake and curve the two railguns to a sufficient length before having them meet at some fusing point. Coordination would be a bitch, though.

However, if we could make them loop, then this could have some interesting applications for practical military theory.
For instance, being able to create a small enough loop of peasants that could fit on, say, a galleon or siege tower would allow for an arbitrarily powerful railgun to be brought to bare anywhere.

Otherwise, I could imagine constructing sufficiently large turbtables that can be tilted at some incline (not so much that the peasants fall off) in order to create turreted railguns.
Can the peasants still pass things if they're strapped into harnesses?

>this is now a mages guild thread
Sorry user, you'll have to go to /qst/ for that:

Roleplaying threads aren't allowed on Veeky Forums anymore.

So why not have a colony(portal?) here as long as it lasts?

>So why not have a colony(portal?) here as long as it lasts?
Because you'll just end up catching a ban and getting posts deleted if you try it on Veeky Forums.

The new board for making fun Veeky Forums threads is /qst/.

The minimum amount of peasants required is rather large number, since a peasant can ready an action only once per six second round.
For example, to break the sound barrier an object would need to travel at 1,125 ft/s or 6750 feet per six seconds. Setting the peasants five feet apart would mean you'd need a line of 1,350 peasants which take a considerable amount of space.

The forces involved would liquefy the peasants after a single pass.

>The new board for making fun Veeky Forums threads is /qst/.

Wait, so /qst/ doesn't delete/ban if you talk about stuff that isn't a quest? Can you just have fantasy themed discussion?

You need laser precision. The eye can't measure like that

>Would it be possible to utilize peasant railguns in order to accelerate rods of some element, and at high enough speeds, fuse them together in an effective particle accelerator?
No. Why? Because the peasant railgun is a glitch of the rules and not a thing possible in physics. Either has to take hold and if you choose railgun, you get a rod that travels really far, but is basically still just a rod with no outside interactions, or we do it in physics and the railgun falls apart.

You don't get to handwave specific parts of the system as being physics while others are errors in the rules.

Moreover, the handled object doesn't accelerate so much as it delocalizes.

I'm sure repeated short range teleporting can be used to fuck up the laws of physics too

>mass producing aluminum
>not mass producing different alloys of steel

IIRC particle accelerators need near-light speed. That is 6*300000=1800000km of peasant. And you'd need two of it. The circumference of the Earth is 40000km. Looping around it a full 45 times with about 3.6 billion peasants. Half of the modern, industrial age global population. Though maybe using some creature available in even larger masses

>Wait, so /qst/ doesn't delete/ban if you talk about stuff that isn't a quest?
Not anymore. Mage Guild, Galactic Federation, Field Kit Inspection, evo games, and worldbuilding threads have all been moved from Veeky Forums to /qst/ now.

>Can you just have fantasy themed discussion?
It's been done before.

Enjoy these formerly-Veeky Forums but now not-Veeky Forums threads.

I want to die.

You are the cancer killing TTRPGs.

No, nothing about the setting necessarily folds to "realism".

No, you cannot make gunpowder if I don't want guns.
No, just because there are potatoes doesn't mean there is a secret north america in the setting.
No, you cannot invent a 30 round repeating crossbow either, faggot.

If I want my setting to geographically be like fantasy china, but everyone is white and wears rhino-skin armor and fights with aztec style obsidian chip swords, then that is how it will be. Fuck off.

I'm a pretty staunch advocate for the quest containment board but this has clearly gone too far.

This time next year we'll have a separate board for generals.

You can do what you want, but is that supposed to stop me from making fun of your childish brainlet simpleton setting?

no it wasn't, it was about as valuable as silver.

>I'm a pretty staunch advocate for the quest containment board but this has clearly gone too far.
It's almost like the people who said "If they ban quest threads, they won't stop banning things until the board is dead" were on to something.

>"Fantasy is fantasy."
>How dare you want a 30-round repeating crossbow!

Can I make a gun that shoots potatoes?

I don't really see the problem in expanding the real estate.Are quests less active now that they're not on Veeky Forums? If they have the same level (or more) activity by having their own board, it seems like a solid win for /qst/. So who exactly lost here?

But I have noticed moderation cracking down on anything that's not "tg related" (with isolated demands for rigor). Does that include talking about tg? Are meta commentary still banned?

>Does that include talking about tg? Are meta commentary still banned?
I've seen a few pop up, and they lasted pretty well. So long as you aren't hostile to the mods right out the gate, then I think they'll give those kinds of threads a pass.

As a side note, I think there's at least two mods that regularly go through Veeky Forums. One that deletes /pol/ posts but doesn't have the decency to just kill the fucking thread, and another more lazy mod that's very slow to kill 'not Veeky Forums-related' threads. As an example of the latter one, sometimes lewd threads last until they hit archive, or just languish for days with little activity before being outright deleted.

>/tgg/

If you feel strongly enough about it each board is allowed to make meta threads discussing board issues.

God willing.

Not that user, but that image is clearly not set in the same time period as when knights were a thing, as far as fantasy is concerned. That dude looks like he came out of a 90's modern fantasy movie

Right, but that user's point was that historical accuracy should be taken lightly because it's first and foremost, fantasy.
So why are kickass repeating crossbows, which have been a high fantasy staple for as long as I can remember, suddenly badwrongfun?

Don't forget to sell your "mine" after a while before taking your business to another city/continent.

Being a questfag isn't just about liking quests yourself, you have to be able to annoy other people with them.

Quest threads and frequently-recurring trollplays seem essentially the same. And I say this as an ex trollplayer

Well, now you've got an economic problem. Those blast furnaces served the needs of millions of people, and were part of a global trade network in an age of decreasing transportation costs and increasingly mechanized mining equipment.

To make those blast furnaces viable, you need a million-man market, the Mesabi Iron Range, the Appalachians coal reserves, railroads, steam-powered mining equipment and dynamite, and a GDP for that man-market that can justify the construction of dense urban areas where 90% of all steel is consumed in construction.

oh, and if a single one of those tuyeres is destroyed because that continuous blaze summoned an angry elemental, your entire investment goes belly-up as all the iron leaks, cools, and warps the structure into a monument to hubris and a poor understanding of pan-planar physics.

Oh, and all your iron, assuming this was a success, will be crappy pig iron until you can find blacksmiths who study chemistry (or chemists who study blacksmithing) who can adjust air and alloy content to produce steel that matches small batches produced by dwarven craftsmen using secret recipes passed down for centuries.

Exactly. As long as you match the mechanical benefits of a new weapon to its cost, it's fun.

There's no shame in telling your players "I think that would ruin game balance if I added it to this world. It wouldn't be fair to the other players if you hogged all the glory".

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter
>In modern physics, antimatter is defined as a material

How do you get that constant current with lightning? Not only would lightning ruin the device but would only last a few short seconds.

Nah, that's convoluted and doesn't add anything good to the story.

Maybe a Wizard with enough INT to cast lightning bolts all day long is a Wizard with enough INT to understand supply and demand, and that if he mass produces the most valuable commodity known he'll just crash the kingdom's economy with no survivors.

Lightning is a high voltage not current, you moron.

So run the lightning through a Druid.

>"Wizard"
>Being a productive member of "society"
>Doing anything that might profit the lesser, non-wizards creatures.
>Not using real lightning magic to scour entire worlds of all life, looting the entire value of the planet and selling to arcane merchants when you need experience, gold and undead material.

Stay martial my friend !

>You are the cancer killing TTRPGs.
Oh the irony

Not playing a glorious sci-fi game where you play as glorified looters of ancient automated factories and interact with local cargo cults who worship the machines as gods, encounter strange and bizzare aliens and resource scarcity, together with cultural difference make it possible to have sword fighters in the same team as people who use salvaged laser rifles.
Stay plebs.

Then natural lightning is actuallyway more harmfull to the undead, then how was frankensteins monster a thing ?

The need to not be hostile to the mods seems quite silly for those meta threads.

How else are you supposed to complain?

He wasn't undead.

Tadah!

>I don't really see the problem in expanding the real estate.Are quests less active now that they're not on Veeky Forums?
Yes, absolutely. Almost every quest that started on Veeky Forums had its player base quartered (or worse).

>If you feel strongly enough about it each board is allowed to make meta threads discussing board issues
Except Veeky Forums, where the metathread always gets deleted because our mod doesn't like it when so many people voice their opinions about his banning sprees.

>How else are you supposed to complain?
What Hiro says we can do and what our mod lets us do are two very different things.

Guns that shoot plate mail?