/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

Blackjack and hookers edition
>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Trove:
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, on /5eg/
How do you normally start your campaigns?

>How do you normally start your campaigns?
I start in a tavern. I know, I know, it's cliche as all hell. But if I have the players group up or pair off beforehand so they know each other, it works out pretty well and it gives me the chance to introduce NPCs.

by including the UA link

Was thinking of including quori in my ToA campaign and have them just act as more competent gou'ld. Stop me now, bros.

Boss encounter for my 3rd level group is a bandit that's been horribly mutated and corrupted by a strange artifact. They're going to fight him in a large room. His gimmick is that he casts darkness on the edges of the room and ceiling, and he darts in and out of it, maybe even occasionally pulling somebody into it.

What's a cool way for my party to overcome this advantage? What should I put in the room in order to level the playing field and offer them methods to counteract him if they're clever enough?

Anyone know of a way to search creatures by traits/actions/spells?

The artifact is in the center of the room, if they whack it with fire it pulses and blasts light that removes the darkness

Last game started with my players having a picnic.

>What's a cool way for my party to overcome this advantage? What should I put in the room in order to level the playing field and offer them methods to counteract him if they're clever enough?
Overcome? Level the playing field? Fuck that. It's the PC's jobs to figure that shit out. If they come up with something clever, let it work.

>How do you normally start your campaigns?
In medias res. I usually want to lead things off with the party already having met up and be in an eventful situation. I tend to find it helps avoid issues when someone's character is more stubborn or passive and would be harder to convince to help out, so you can skip past that part and get to the point where they're on a quest or dealing with a problem.

I'd rather give them something to work with in a room that's just a blank slate atm. It's hard to get creative if you have nothing to work off of, especially with the limited resources of a 3rd level party.

>yfw hexblade/paladin/sorcerer tiefielings will soon be completely legal

How do I decide between pact of chain and pact of tome? I know that tome potentially can outscale chain, but it involves an invocation tax, and needs to be taken in a setting where ritual scrolls are available.

Got done with another fun, awesome session. God damn DMing is fun, holy shit.

What's the point of a paladin/hexblade? Some iteration of the smite invocation is likely to be in Xanthar's.

Whichever sounds more fun. Chain gives you utility in a very unique way. Tome is pretty straight forward.

Ah, but user, you forgot rule 0.

You posted the same exact post yesterday. Stop it. I'm glad you enjoy the game but this isn't furthering discussion.

>Play a Shillelagh/Booming Blade based Raven Queen Warlock
>Fight three fucking demons in immediate succession
>Still managed to outdamage both of the party paladins and even kill two of the three
>Even though they were both of a higher level than me as well
That shit was satisfying as hell.

No one is allowed to have if you're not having fun, right, autist?

>What's the point of a paladin/hexblade?
cha on melee weapons and other perks to improve paladin smites (and warlock smite had its merits over paladin one in the most recent UA)

more importantly edge points for picking paladin + spoooooooooky paladin

>yfw adventure league

I would assume a 2 level dip in Hexblade for the usual Warlock benefits, while also getting Charisma based melee attacks and a free not!Hex every short rest.

>adventure league
I am genuinely sorry user.

Ranger pride worldwide.

>yfw you play with people who aren't retarded murderhobo munchkins, so who cares?

>tfw I want to be a trap but I'm way too masculine to pass

>tfw one of my players is playing as a trap and is surprised when a woman screams for the guards when he flashes his bulge

How does ToA stack up compared to some of the previous adventures?

does him playing as a trap actually add anything to the campaign or is it just some xd so random shit

i read through it and i love it
ive already got a group together to run it
first session next weekend

>is it just some xd so random shit
His girlfriend made him play a trap character so yes

>pussy whipped lady boy
you've got a fucked up group senpai

>Playing as a trap
Sure, whatever floats your boat
>Flashing his bulge
Literally why

I've been changing a lot in my own game but it's amazing fun. Perkins and Wizards really outdid themselves.
While CoS and OotA require specific mindsets and a certain mood to play and SKT can also get bogged down with tedious drama, ToA is pure sandboxy fun. It's pulp adventure, there's a lot of exploration and discovery.

The woman was a merchant and he was trying to get a discount on an alchemy kit. He's the chaotic stupid one so I can't really say that it surprised me

Kill his character.

>Playing shit like AL
>Ever

Living the fucking dream.

We will miss you Stone Sorcerer/Hexblade you were too good for this world.

Guess that means this is reality now!
>Vengence Paladin/Hexblade
>Swords Bard/Hexblade Singing blades BABY
>Shadow Sorcerer/Hexblade
>Draconic/Hexblade

Anyone else really exited for this?

>tfw you have to pay a heavy invocation tax to be effective as a warlock
>your DM never rewards you with extra invocations
>another player makes the DM hate warlocks after he multiclasses sorclock

Playing this class is suffering.

Not really. It just makes Warlock dipping more degenerate than it already was.

am i justified in being put off by my dm magically changing my class and race?
he says it was some sort of magical effect but we have no idea what happened or why
i was a tiefling warlcok, but in a flash of light i became an aasimar paladin
we were just in a basement in some city so it wasnt even anything special
i asked him if it was possible for me to change back but he just said "youll have to wait and see"
does anybody have any idea whats going on here?

Your character is the only thing that the player should have complete agency over and your dm is an ass for railroading you into completely changing it

s-scan when...

Yeah I'd feel put off. It's your character, outside of killing it, he should talk to you about what he wants to do.

your DM is being an arsehole

Give him a chance to do something with it. Sounds gay but if your DM is coming at it from the right place he's created a scenario that is ultimately designed to bring enjoyment to his players, including you. It sounds like it just happened and you're really frustrated, which means you're not very likely to be in the right mindset to enjoy it even if it ends up being cool.

If he doesn't let you revert within the next couple of sessions I'd tell him that you're frustrated and want to play the character you made, not the one he made. If he reverts you beforehand and you genuinely don't like the way the whole thing played out, make sure to let him know. Most DMs want feedback from their players, especially when they pull risky shit like this.

The best advice I can give is to give it a genuine chance.

>Scan of a book no one has yet

hey that looks like a real book scan it plz user

Race I might let it slide, but changing class sounds like bullshit. Did your DM tell you to completely redo your character sheet to be a Paladin? If so he's all but telling you what character you should play and that's just not up to him, otherwise it might be temporary.

well obviously somebody has it

What pact and oath?

he didnt have me redo my character sheet, he gave me one of those premade ones thats formatted totally different

>He replaced your character with another character entirely
what the fuck

i dunno
i havent even read the thing
i stopped paying attention to the session after he did it because i didnt feel like playing any more

What type of warlock were you?

WotC have it. I don't think they are going to scan it though, no matter how nicely you ask

we need a man on the inside...

>clerics that worship vauge concepts instead of gods are a thing again

is this whole book just for munchkins?

pact of the tome, fiend patron

I could see a Fey patron pulling something but I doubt a fiend would turn you into some kinda meant to hunt them down.

That was a thing in the PHB

Will hexblades warlocks just end up as Eldritch blast spammers like they are in the playtest?

More likely they'll end up as dips

no idea. all we know is that cursebringer is getting reworked and instead of a shadow hound they get some kind of ability to temporarily bind ghosts

No, they'll end up as paladins because everyone is only going to dip and multiclass.

that was already in the DMG, it's probably just expanding on that

some of these classes have a couple of pages before they start talking about subclasses (sorcerer starts on 48, subclasses are on 50), guess it's just more fluff?

I dunno. I'm getting a more 'second DMG' vibe from this rather than a splat book. Most of the thing is just full of rules variants for running a game and character names. Compared to EE or SCAG, it certainly feels more like this is for the DM's sake, rather than the players, even if it does have subclasses and spells.

Which UA was Gloom Stalker?

Deep stalker ranger

deep stalker, it was in the revised ranger UA

So who's parties are playing this weekend? What cool stuff is coming up in your campaigns?

My party isn't playing for a while but in my next session, I'm going to have one of my players backstory finally become relevant. In his backstory, the PC accidentally killed a man, and I'm bringing that victim back as a revenant. The players know his backstory but the party doesn't so there's potential drama, there's going to be the mystery of who has been helping this revenant which is going to end up being the Warlock's patron. The Patron is a GOO and so shit is gonna get weird. I'm hyper hyped for this...but it's a month away. Let me live vicariously through you guys /5eg/

This tbdesu. As a level 13 warlock player, I hate how this board thinks warlock is a one-night stand of a class.

Tell your DM that you're uncomfortable with this and that he should have asked you before he changed your character wholesale and that you want to play your own character not his. There's really no justification for violating your agency as a player on a level like this.

Wizards have it, friend.

The Light, Dark, Underdark UA, it was originally known as the deep stalker ranger.

>cursebringer is getting reworked
Thank fucking god

>selling your soul for a cantrip and also the ability to make someone feel bad

Do you even know what a munchkin is?

literally none of the patreons involve selling your soul besides maybe fiend

Next session my players are going to be fighting a sea hag grandmother that's been spreading a depression curse over a port town. She's going to offer them all bargains that are backstory relevant and I'm curious if any of them would be dumb enough to actually take the bargain.

Is the Samurai archetype any good?

Obviously the DM is pulling some redemption shenanigans (or trying to play on the assumption that he is). But it's still not something you ever do without getting the player's explicit approval first.

So new to this : How do you guys like the Martial Adept Homebrew class, those of you who've played or played someone who used it?

How is the new ancestral barbarian in terms of ease of use and effectiveness?

Just finished my group's session this week actually. Got to sneak into an enemy capital, sneakily beat up some guards (Barbarians are scary even when unarmed), and next session we'll be sneaking through the catacombs to get into the castle proper

i told him i wanted to switch back and he just told me to wait and that i was lucky that he let me stay the same gender

Yeah. I get what WotC was going for with making Eldritch blast a reliable ranged option, but it requires no investment aside from 2 levels to basically be a Fighter from then on.

The Charisma sword thing is just gonna make it worse. People were already taking Tome for Shillelagh, but now it can just be any one-handed weapon they want and not require as much setup.

>SCAG: 10 archetypes, 4 spells, 200 pages of setting information
>XGE: 30 archetypes, clearly more spells, bunch of DM advice
XGE may be great for DMs, but it's also more of a splat than anything we've ever gotten for 5e.

>i told him i wanted to switch back and he just told me to wait and that i was lucky that he let me stay the same gender
Nah there's no way he can justify it now, tell that cunt you came to play a character you want to play and that it is 1000% bullshit he's trying to pull this without talking to you first.

Some of those spells and archetypes are likely repeats, but I get what you mean. It still feels like too much too fast.

Most of them require SOMETHING from the character, though, because otherwise the patron has no reason to give them power. (GOO obviously being an exception)
That said,
>Implying powergamers are going to bother justifying their multiclass dip

Unfortunately this really depends on the DM and I don't know how many times I've seen DMs not use a plot hook literally handed to them

I think he might have read up on some of those oldschool traps from AD&D, since I recall one that literally flips someone's alignment and gender, so he might have taken it a step further and applied the alignment bit to your race as well.

Still extremely odd, and if you weren't prodding some obviously dangerous magic item it's way too drastic a punishment for 5e. At the very least, he should have let you make the Paladin.

Never even heard of it, but I assume it's a Tome of Battle adaptation. Can you post it?
Very few homebrew classes are good.

>i was lucky that he let me stay the same gender
>let me
He sounds like a douche.

i just checked and its the oath of vengeance by the way
so idk if the redemption route is accurate

>tfw you will never find a sex change trap to intentionally trigger

If it were just alignment and gender I could understand, but the race and class is a little much. Also that added "let you" is something that doesn't sit right with me as a DM

There's a certain amount of give and take between the players and the DM. An implicit trust that even when he's behind the DM screen and you're all on the other side that you all are working together and just want to have a good time.

This is not that. If your DM wanted to give you a redemption arc he wouldn't have effectively replaced your character with one of his own making. He would have asked you if you thought such a thing was right for your character, backed off if you didn't want it, and he could have done it in any number of ways that wouldn't just flat out replace your character.

If he won't budge, then you don't have any reason to be there anymore because he's effectively not even letting you play the game.

pls respond
l
s

r
e
s
p
o
n
d

Good, keep your fetishes out of the game unless it is specifically that type of game or so subtle that you don't even have to bring it up to have it happen.

it wasnt even a trap as far as im aware
it literally just happened randomly while we were searching a basement in a city because the owner of the house had been hearing noises down there