Cyclops thread

shouldn't cyclopses have a racial minus to hit because they lack depth-perception?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitotsume-nyūdō
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/Homeric_Greece-en.svg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Who's to say that they lack depth perception? There are mundane creatures that have individual eyes capable of depth perception (pic related) and I doubt a magical creature such as a cyclops would lack such a trait. Also, that looks more like a monoeye than a cyclops.

Search up lindybeige and his theories on how cyclops would have depth perception.

>shouldn't cyclopses have a racial minus to hit because they lack depth-perception?

To spare you unnecessary details, I've always handled it like this:
Cyclopes do not naturally possess depth-perception, but they do have exquisite daylight vision and can see farther and clearer than most any other species.
Cyclopes, can, however, arch, wiggle, and move their head around to crudely perceive and gauge depth.

>Monoeye
I had never heard of this word up until this very moment and I love it.
I've been looking for a better term for a 'race of ordinary people sized cyclops' that's better and easier to say than 'Cyclopskin' and Monoeye might be it.

>spoiler
She's from a manga about monster girls and they directly call her a cyclops. Monster Musume or whatever

You're assuming that the structure of a cyclops' eye is anything like a human's.

The cyclops sniper is supposed to be funny.

Mantis shrimp eyes have depth perception because each one has three irises.
I'm willing to bet your cyclopes have one.

Not irises, pupils.

MONOEYES ARE FOR BULLYING

She is a monoeye (モノアイ), the brown one is a cyclops (サイクロプス) and is bigger

I want to torment a monoeye by eating an orange near her!

kinda disturbing IRL, though

No they're not!

There's really no way to make a single giant eye attractive in a non 2D context

>I can't be assed to read these moon runes and neither should anyone else be forced to.

Always wanted to see a real mono eye wearing one of those.

Might make a good "surprise" moment when they take it off.

Either that or a bad xzibit meme.

I'll say.

bump

The penalty is negated by their laser sight.

This is retarded logic.

Fuck you.

So retarded it works.

>all those bedroom eyes

best monoeye girl

Did you know?
Cyclops come from ancient people discovering mammoth skulls and not understanding what the hole in the middle is for (the trunk)

You don't need depth perception for shooting.
Some competitive shooters use eyepaches over their non-directing eye.

>One of the subraces is literally an ordinary monoeye except she's a buddhist
Why? Do cyclopses have some special place in Buddhist folklore or something? This feels pretty lazy.

>Why? Do cyclopses have some special place in Buddhist folklore or something? This feels pretty lazy.

It's definitely weird.
I think it's just the author making a note on how there's enough 'monoeyes' that have converted to buddhism to distinguish them from the other monoeyes.
It doesn't help, though, that these read like a pokedex entry about how they, "use their eye to spot those who neglect their training" as if some urban-legend piece of trivia is the most interesting thing about monoeye buddhists and belongs in their cultural debrief.

>mammoth
Dwarf elephant actually

They do have it in GURPS.

That isn't tsundere, that's just nervous.

Holy fuck, I never knew elephants are so weird also underneath

Honestly you can't really blame them for the mix up, an elephant skull is already fairly human-looking and difficult to make sense of. I'd imagine it'd be even worse so if you've never seen an elephant before.

It took me a moment to completely understand where the eyes on the skull were even supposed to go- the socket area looks just like the cheekbone zone of a human skull.

also, no nose

I guess it'd depend on the lens in their eye? Also they could do the owl thing

Aren't all those creatures gonna have a very tiny brain with such a big eye? Even if the muscles are somehow minimal.

The size of brain doesn't necessarily correlate with intelligence.

What are all those additional neurons for?

I don't know, ask crows why they don't need any extra to figure out basic tool use.

Omnivore, by Piers Anthony, explains how an eye can be a kind of computing device.

I could if they were intelligent enough to answer me :(

That's why they use weapons that require only one eye to aim

>implying human derived language = intelligence

If crows were the dominant lifeform, you bet we would have learned their language in order to beg for food.

More seriously, what are the neurons for? There must be some use for a big brain, otherwise species wouldn't have evolved it.

Generate more electrical current for more sensitive senses and finer control of extremities

If your argument is big brain = more intelligent remember that Neandertal brains are estimated to be about 10% bigger than Human brains, and that didn't help the become the dominant life form on the earth

On the subject of neurons, neurons are simply cells that handle the transmission of information throughout the brain, connected by tendrils that have several parts to them that connect neurons to each-other, the more connections the faster and more efficiently the information can move around the brain.

At least that's my understanding

I never said that bigger brain means more intellignece (otherwise we'd judge people on hat size), I just wondered what's the point of a big brain, since it eats a lot of energy.

biclops?

They're too young to be thinking about stuff like that. And probably sisters.

I wasn't implying such thing.

The reason why humans developed a larger brain isn't really known, one hypothesis suggests its to do with social development and needs as human society is far more complex than that of animals, so as prehistoric apes became more social they developed larger brains.

And another hypothesis argues that its for survival because, yes larger brains do have an advantage over smaller brains, higher cognitive capability allows for better survival.

However the original discussion was to do with would cyclops be stupid or not, the answer is that the decrease in brain size that the image suggested would not be hugely significant.

to illustrate there is a case that there is a person with a very small brain, about 50 - 70% smaller than the average human brain, this resulted because during development in the womb and childhood he has a buildup of fluid in his brain. but his IQ only was only 75, apparently 68% of the population has an IQ in the range of 85 -115 and 95% fall in between 70 and 130. now yes that is lower, but people can function and act like normal logical people at this point.

TL.DR cyclops would probably be normal, but unlikely wizards, mathematicians, or engineers

Magic.

>cyclops can't remember people/etiquette
would make for a fun quirk.

Additionally brain to body ratio has an effect, otherwise whales would rule over us spermwhales having brains weighing 17 pounds (7,800grams) compared to humans 3 pounds (1400 grams)

You're assuming a cyclops brain is similar to a human brain in construction. Complexity (most visually apparent in folds), would play a pretty big role here.

Also if my favorite conspiracy and mysticism podcast's anecdotes are to believed, there is a way around this entirely that wouldn't be out of place in a world with literal cyclops people walking about.
Basically there's a belief out there, and a pretty decently sized one in the nutter community. That the brain isn't the origin of consciousness, rather it's a receiver. There's even this nice radio analogy that demonstrates why science can't just go nuh huh that's dumb. Nice and easily adaptable to a fantasy setting where looser and more supernatural explanations can fly.

Humans owe their larger brains because their ancestors' jaws became smaller and weaker over time, which was afforded thanks to fire and cooking.

It could be like owl eyes, which are tubular instead of spherical. They can't turn, but thankfully the owl's head can make up for that.

>Getting kind of intrigued by these cyclopean anime chicks.
>See , starting to be turned off by the single eye.
>See these two, want to pour bleach into my eyes. (pun intended)

Based on the hitotsume nyuudou (一つ目入道), which is a one-eyed monk youkai, similar to the oonyuudou.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitotsume-nyūdō

I figured that whales and porpuses didn't rule the seas because an aquatic environment is not conducive to technological innovation.

tell that to an Aboleth

Tell him yourself asshole

Oh, that actually makes some sense. Thanks m8.

Do cyclops or similar races have any specifics other than "one eye"? For example, sirens are birdpeople, but they also have magic voices.

what was that post answering to?

someone saying that he thought the reason why whales and dolphins never ruled the oceans was because of inability in making technological advancements underwater

If i recall correctly, Cyclopes had greater size and not-quite-giants strength.
At least, if we're going by Odyssee.

No weakness or affinity of any kind?

the first that says burning stake...

pocket sand

Well, Odyssee did note Cyclopes were rather dumb. Odysseus managed to fool one who had captured his crew by simply beating on him and proclaiming his name was No One. The cyclops would then try to get others to help, who just looked at him confused because the cyclops was telling them "No one beat me up!"

So...naivete? Slow thought? Context unawareness? Lack of foresight?

>Do cyclops or similar races have any specifics other than "one eye"?

If you're going by the Greek/European myths: Cyclopes are artisan masons, blacksmiths, and craftsmen. Cyclopes originally designed and forged the weapons of the Greek gods (Zues' lightning bolts, Hades helmet, and Posiedon's trident), the forge of the god Hephaestus was even staffed by cyclopes and the giants were believed to be commissioned by ancient peoples to help build their walls and fortifications. You might have heard of the term 'cyclopean' which is meant to dictate the, "stacking stones that fit together with no mortar" because people thought only a giant cyclopes could do such an act.
European, cyclopes, though, are impulsive and terrible with their emotions, but that could have just been a trend for the time: Polyphemus, just for an example, after having his eye gouged out by Odysseus later went on to leave his island home and wrote poetry or something. The point is they were a learned people.
Greek Cyclopes looked more masculine and like the other men of the period, but with elephant tusks due to the skull mixup.

If you're going by Japanese myth: Cyclopes were much like any other yokai and came in all shapes and sizes, but for the most part they were buddhist monks that would occasionally eat people who were being smart-asses, lived in the mountains and worked for woodsman/lumbermills (pay them after though, if you pay them first they just run off), and would occasionally come down from the mountains to invade peoples houses to take baths... Their children would also go into towns at night to sell tofu- Japan is weird.
Japanese Cyclopes were (and still are) depicted as a mixture of being creepy and cute.

>Well, Odyssee did note Cyclopes were rather dumb. Odysseus managed to fool one who had captured his crew by simply beating on him and proclaiming his name was No One. The cyclops would then try to get others to help, who just looked at him confused because the cyclops was telling them "No one beat me up!"

You're missing some context here, user.

What had happened was Odysseus told Polyphemus that his name was "No one", which in greek times was another way of saying anonymous in some sense. When Odysseus finally poked out Polyphemus' eye with a fire sharpened stick, though, he cried out and said, "No one has blinded me, help!" The other Cyclopes heard him and thought that he had been the victim of divine punishment, I.E: some anonymous or arbitrary force had literally blinded him.
The other cyclopes shouted back that he should pray; eventually, though, they DID come over to check on him and once he explained further they all ran down to the beach to throw boulders and stones at Odysseus ship, but he was well out of range.. and had stolen all of Polyphemus' livestock.

Ironically, the cyclopes did end up getting their revenge as they worshipped and prayed (Polyphemus himself was related)to Poseidon, whom cursed Odysseus voyage so that he'd spend 6 years fucking around in the small Mediterranean.

>6 years
Only six years? I get that six years dicking around at sea is pretty awful, but the movies tend to hype it up as much longer.

Also, at that point Polyphemus was drunk as a skunk, if I remember right.

Wasn't it ten? I thought Odysseus spent twenty years away from home: ten in/around Troy, ten on sea.

Sorry, sorry, it was 10- Poseidon cursed him to be at sea for 10 years.
Which, in retrospect, is kind of funny because you can look up maps of where Odysseus went to and visited and he had NUMEROUS opportunities to go home, but simply didn't, like, he was basically dicking around in the Adriatic and Aegean sea for 10 years and they are NOT that big or complicated...
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/Homeric_Greece-en.svg

Though, I'm not boatsman, so maybe I'm unfairly bullying Odysseus.