Starfinder General /sfg/

Starfinder General /sfg/

What sort of sci fi fey should exist in Starfinder? We got so little in the Alien Archive.

/pfg/ unified link repository (trove contains all current leaked PDFs in Starfinder folder): pastebin.com/fr9piFCi

/sfg/ unified link repository: pastebin.com/BBVzM7tm
Cheatsheet: paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lk2n?Starfinder-Cheat-Sheet
FAQ: paizo.com/starfinder/faq

Things to do:
Run games
Raid the other Science fiction/ fantasy games and steal their map assets
Make a PDF with all the fixes
Make a Plant race (homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HJZbylc32-)
Make a Fish race (almost done!)
Make a turtle race (1d4chan.org/wiki/Arocku)
Make a Veeky Forums adventure path

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/file/d/0B_uga6da_8HodlVmSDZVMTQwblU/view
drive.google.com/file/d/0B_uga6da_8HoNjZvWmVvTWRvSlk/view?usp=sharing
drive.google.com/file/d/0B_uga6da_8HoRjZfREM0VkJ6bFk/view?usp=sharing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>The Plant race in the OP
Where did that stuff come from? Did someone from /sfg/ make it, because it looks cool

Why doesn’t anything in any Paizo product scale properly? Is the design guideline for race or class abilities “should be immediately replaced by something better?” And why is XP progression so incredibly slow?

There are so many questions coming back to this stuff from 5e makes me ask, and it is very frustrating.

why doesnt paizo just hire japanese illustrators?

>Why doesn’t anything in any Paizo product scale properly?
SJWs are bad at math.
they are failures at logical thinking.
they fail at the discipline nessesary to think through their system.
thus they had to get a humanities degree.
and they cant get a real job in a real career.
thus, they are stuck in bullshit fake jobs so they can afford tonights ramen noodle.
and even then, they fail at it.

Do the weapons scale fine in Starfinder?

Okay, now someone needs to go through Alien Archive with the monster building charts and guidelines and figure out if Paizo used those rules, and what monsters break them and how.

>SJWs are bad at math.
>they are failures at logical thinking.
>they fail at the discipline nessesary to think through their system.
>thus they had to get a humanities degree.
>and they cant get a real job in a real career.
>thus, they are stuck in bullshit fake jobs so they can afford tonights ramen noodle.
>and even then, they fail at it.

i hate SJW because they make cocksuckers post in every fucking thread on Veeky Forums about them.
fuck off to your hug box! we know you hate them.

they are the boogey man and you're scared of them ruining the subject matter of the day but you know what YOU RUIN the subject matter of the day with you fucking bitching

confirmed.

anyone using the term SJW is necessarily a douchebag piece of shit because they fundamentally lack even an elementary understanding of empathy.

I hate SJWs because they turn into wolf men during the full moon and can only be killed by silver.

I hate SJWs because they are responsible for all my failures because I can't be responsible for any of them. Do you hear? ANY. OF. THEM.

Do SJWs fail to reflect in a mirror or is that immigrants?

oh man these made my night.

Right...

This is ... problematic...

You think women aren't paid equally because they don't get hired for the same types of jobs? There are just as many female truck drivers, female garbage workers, and female construction workers!!!

You're a problematic sexist asshole!!!

what the fuck does this have to do with fucking starfinder shit for brains!

Because they should commission Korean ones.

Because it needs 10 more female writers.

F A T T Y

D R U M S T I C K S

Request:
Legendary planets - To worlds Unknown
Starfinder - Gm's Screen
Starfinder Flip-Mat: Basic Terrain
Starfinder Flip-Mat: Basic Starfield
Starfinder Flip-Mat: Cantina
Starfinder Core Rulebook Pawn Collection

Speaking of Starbound, has anyone statted the game's races for Starfinder?

I would agree famalam, sjws and the alt right are literally the hot and cold in a whirlwind of destruction, and the idea that either of them should be agreed with in whole or shouldn't be criticized directly is fundamentally polarizing and only gives both power.

I'm not about to do the whole book, but I can take requests! For now, let's take a look at the very first thing in the book; the Aeon Guard. They're a CR 3 Human Soldier (Sharpshoot) Combatant monster, so we're looking at a Combatant with the Humanoid type, Human subtype, and Soldier class grafts. Let's go through the steps and see if we can build them ourselves.

First, the basic Combatant array. EAC and KAC are both noticeably higher, saves are 5/3/4 instead of 5/5/2, and HP is 8 points higher. Modifiers are fine: Dex gets the highest +4, Str the +2, and the rest get the +1. We have a class graft, so we refer to that for special abilities instead of the base array. We've got good Perception, which doesn't count against our skills. We have master Stealth, though the modifier is lower by 3, and good Athletics, Intimidate, and Profession (Soldier). That's one extra good skill. Offensively, the attack bonuses line up exactly. We're not using natural weapons or the like, so the damage columns are irrelevant.

We've got a few oddities, but we're not done. Next, type and subtype, and class. Humanoid gives +2 to one save, which is overwritten by the class graft for redundancy and thus ignored, as per general guidelines. Human gives a special ability and a good skill, which gives us the 3 good skills we have. Soldier gives us -2 Ref and +2 Will, which gives us the Aeon Guard's saves, and at CR 3 gets a style technique, gear boost, and special ability. As a ranged fighter, we prioritize Dex, Str, and Con as the Aeon Guard does. Gear is more of a guideline, more so than the rest of these rules, but I'll break it down along with the rest.

Ranged Soldiers get heavy armor matching their CR, and AG Trooper Battle Dress is L3. Adding its +5/+7 to the Combatant array's ACs, we get 19 and 21. EAC is fine, KAC is 1 short, so our Gear Boost is Armored Advantage, giving us the listed 22. Dex bonus and max dex are ignored. ACP -3 explains our +13 master Stealth only being +10. Athletics appears to ignore this. We get an advanced melee weapon of CR+1, but settle for the L2 pulse gauntlet. We get a longarm up to CR+1, but 'settle' for the L3 AG Assault Rifle. We get two grenades of our CR, but there aren't any at L3. Frag II is L4, but Incendiary I is L2, so it balances out.

Now for special abilities. We grab Extra Hit Points for 20% more HP, boosting the array's 40 to the Aeon Guard's 48. Darkvision is a free ability, so it doesn't take a slot. It does mean the Guard has cybereyes though. Looking over the stat block, I don't see anything else that would demand a special ability, so we either only get 1 because class might overwrite subtype where redundant - not stated, so it's unclear - or because it's unlisted and explains away a potential error.

Most of the stat block checks out at this point. AC, Saves, and HP are accounted for, attack matches up, and damage matches weapons. Gear mostly matches up, when you accept that gear will need to be more flexible than guidelines indicate. But Athletics appears to ignore the armor's ACP. We could account for that with Skill Focus, and it may or may not count against the second ability slot we may or may not have, since Skill Focus on a combatant may be the kind of thing you can just give for free. Or it's an error. Similarly, Initiative is +5 but Dex is only +4, and a +1 bonus isn't enough for Improved Initiative. Free +1 or a typo.

I'll keep any requests a bit shorter than this now that I've walked through the whole thing, but there's our first example. Mostly good with a couple oddities.

>Adding its +5/+7 to the Combatant array's ACs, we get 19 and 21. EAC is fine, KAC is 1 short, so our Gear Boost is Armored Advantage, giving us the listed 22
I need to proofread more, because I just caught that I was a dumbass here. 16+7 is 23, so I don't know what's going on with the Aeon Guard's AC. Which also means the Gear Boost is up in the air.

So that's one more oddity! And also an example of how these oddities appear. Gross incompetence and adding the wrong numbers together.

Last post on this unless someone has questions or a request, but I figured it out. Late, I know. Looking at some other entries, AC from equipment is calculated normally and ignores the entries on the base array. This may seem obvious, but they don't actually say that anywhere like they do for damage, and in the Aeon Guard's case they ignore the max dex bonus. So +5/+7 from the armor, +4 from dex, and +1 KAC from the gear boost does get the 19/22 EAC/KAC the Aeon Guard has, but a player with that is only going to have 17/21 AC, because max dex is +2. The alternative is that it's an unlisted ability or arbitrary bonus, but the math lines up exactly with ignoring max dex.

In conclusion, the actual list of oddities: Athletics doesn't appear to be penalized by ACP when Stealth is, Initiative is 1 higher than Dex, AC appears to ignore the armor's max dex.

yes, not my work but here: drive.google.com/file/d/0B_uga6da_8HodlVmSDZVMTQwblU/view
Credit to the user that did it

Does anyone have decent translations for at least the core Pathfinder classes into Starfinder?

I thought a third party did the conversions quickly but I can't find that supplement.

I'm not worried about using 7th/8th/9th level spells, I'm mostly just wanting a clean sheet without all the iterative attacks and adjusted levels for feats/attribute bonuses.

1. Don’t do it

2. It’s a bad idea

3. Look up the Starfinder Companion, but almost every place that mentions it does so negatively

Why do you even want that stuff back?

Mostly because I want to give my players the option of playing medieval classes in a fantasy setting or vice versa. Especially when they are travelling to different areas of the universe that may still not have been reached by tech.

In a sci-fi setting*

Fine, but is right, it's a bad idea

That is an impressive breakdown. I'm glad to see that the stats mostly check out. Making a couple little adjustments here and there beyond the "rules" of monster building I think is fine, as long as they stay pretty balanced, and I feel like the Aeon Guard is.

What about taking a look at the strongest monster in the book, the Kyokor?

I made it, yeah.

Also, future OPs please link the PDF from now on

drive.google.com/file/d/0B_uga6da_8HoNjZvWmVvTWRvSlk/view?usp=sharing

Not every browser can properly load Homebrewery, it turns out.

I did that, I'm the same user that made the Anthousas.

Oh, and forgot to say that I'm working on rebalancing them slightly, and reformatting the pages. The link will redirect you to the up to date PDF when I'm done.

Do you think starfinder will survive and flourish like pathfinder, or just fucking die a stillbirth anons?

Latter

Sci-fi has always been second fiddle to fantasy.

I know it won't be the same level of success as Pathfinder, but I do hope they manage to keep it afloat. It would be nice to have a sci-fi RPG on the market that actually has a player base.

I've always been more partial to sci-fi than fantasy, and there are sci-fi rpgs that have player bases, they're just really small

And I just realized that I'm not the one hosting that version of the PDF. Here's an up to date host.

drive.google.com/file/d/0B_uga6da_8HoRjZfREM0VkJ6bFk/view?usp=sharing

Criminally underrated.

>9/10 would help build robot bunnies with.

Cool. Couple of things though. Namely for the stat spreads.

A dex and wis bonus seems wrong for the Apex. Since they devolved to be basically intelligent apes, wouldn't a bonus to Int and Str/Con make more sense?

Same for the Glitch as well. A bonus to dex seems out of place for a group of medieval robots whose warriors regularly deck themselves out in literal fullplate.

The Hylotl bonuses seem a little out of place. Not sure a hit to Charisma is appropriate for them.

This is just after a quick skim, I'll get into the nitty gritty when I have a chance to sit down and read it all.

you are aware that apex are a race of literla super scientists right?
did you even play the fucking game?

whats a good non google hosting service to post the nagarta PDF?

Dropbox

I personally love the idea of fey creatures that have adapted to the era they live in and coexisting with ancient fey as well.

So while you may have the equivalent of a rusalka on Castrovel you have Techno Sprites and gremlins who can manifest inside of computers and cause trouble.

Maybe brownies are really good at technology as well hence seeing people with chimnies all of a sudden

Of course I play the game. That's why I'm contesting that a fucking WISDOM bonus feels wrong for a race of SUPER SCIENTISTS who devolved their body to boost their INTELLECT.

The Kyokor is a CR 20 Combatant Magical Beast with the Colossus subtype without class levels. I went over the process already, so I'll try to be briefer here.

Magical Beast gets dark and low-light vision that the Kyokor does not have, +2 Fort and Ref, and +1 Attack. Colossus isn't one of the listed subtypes, so I have no idea what that's providing. With those adjustments in mind, let's look at the combatant array. AC and Fort are as indicated, base Ref and Will got swapped but are otherwise as expected after adjustment. HP is 20 high, ability DC and skills are as expected. Modifiers are as expected, remembering that the only real guideline for the secondary three attributes is "not larger than the main three."

Attack is Combatant High plus Magical Beast's +1, and when multiattacking it's Combatant Low +1. Damage is slightly unusual. It's capable of four attacks, so you'd expect them to be 8d6+20+Str (9), which its slam is. Its bite and claws have the damage dice of a CR 17 triple attacker instead - 4d12 instead of 8d6. It drops the dice average from 28 to 26, so it's not a huge difference when you consider that drops the final average from 57 to 55... which is not as high as I'd expect, but still enough to not be terribly concerned about 2 points.

A CR 20 Combatant has 4 special abilities. Swimming and Water Breathing don't count, base speed probably doesn't. Blindsense, Demolish Structures, and Enthrall Victims all qualify for taking a slot, so that's 3. Two energy resistances are probably worth at least 1 slot. Sense the Masses probably isn't, since it doesn't have much combat function. I'm not sure what "Massive" does in Other Abilities, and AA doesn't have an index. So we're looking at 4-6 slots taken out of 4, but it's missing two senses it would normally have, and one of its abilities - and its subtype - are undefined. Unless someone else knows what they should be?

Mostly fine, but two big things are undefined.

Are +1 weapons a thing in starfinder

no

Can anyone explain to me what the point of the Automated Loader is? I'm not finding anything that states reloading mounted weapons is any more complex than nonmounted ones. Is there an actual point to that add on or is it strictly just a waste of an upgrade slot?

I don't get it either, since reloading is a move action. I feel like it's a typo and the autoloader is supposed to be a swift action, that way you can keep full attacking or use automatic fire, either that or you are unable to reload weapons while in power armor without the loader

>Keep full attacking

Nope. Full attacks eat your swift now too.

Out of all the converted or custom or alien archive playable races, are there any cat races yet?

Alright. Time to constructively critique the shit out of this mofo.

APEX: As mentioned, +Dex/Wis is off target for the Apex. You seem to have them mistaken for Pathfinder's Vanara, when the two couldn't be further apart. 90% of Apex facilities you find in game are laboratories of some some sort. The virus that made them what they are gave them enhanced intelligence at the expense of physical devolution, I.E: making them closer to apes and gorillas. A boost to Int and Strength or Con would be more appropriate. Likewise an Acrobatics and Stealth boost is inappropriate, perhaps swap it for a boost to Athletics and Computers or Physical Science instead? Also base 4 HP is off for a burly gorilla race. Bump it up to 6 and you'll be solid.

AVIAN: The stat spread is fine, actually. The only thing I'd contest is the +4 to Engineering. Their culture is heavily religious and as such their tech level is kinda stymied as a result. I'd argue giving that +4 to Mysticism instead (or leaving it as is) and getting rid of any Engineering bonus altogether.

FLORAN: Also fine, for the most part. A base 35 speed seems odd, but I'm not too opposed to it.

GLITCH: Glitch are not androids. Their culture is literally stuck in a medieval era where they serve kings, work farms, and deck themselves out in fucking plate armor when preparing for combat, despite the fact that they're already tin-can robots. Dex and Int should not be their bonuses. A bonus to Con and /maybe/ Wisdom would be more appropriate. The hit to Cha is still probably fine.

HYLOTL: Also more or less fine. The stat spread is iffy, but honestly I'm not sure what other spread I'd give them.

NOVAKID: Perfect with the sole exception of Spaceborne, seems a tad overpowered. I'll buy them not needing to breathe, but they should still probably need to eat and sleep (they certainly still need to eat in game, assuming survival mode). Fire and poison immunity is just overkill.

fuuuug, good to know

Is FTL represented mechanically?

What do you mean?

they say that it tears shit off at random from the planes, is there, like, a table for that, or is it left to the GM as appropriate?

It's largely sidestepped/abstracted. Drift travel is based on proximity to the pact worlds it seems, so you might travel FTL or not depending on point-to-point and your drift roll.

It's purely GM discretion.

So what would a Starbound campaign even be like?

>Tentacle monsters/florans/political extremism ate your planet, and you are now adrift in the cosmos on a derelict ship, looking to start a new life in a universe that largely wants to kill you. Hilarity ensues as you patch up your ship, make contact with other refugees, build a home, meet your waifu, and face off against threats to your happiness and survival, both new and old

I'm a huge fan of the body armor you can make out of the Kyokor's scales.

It's the perfect suit for someone that wants the protection of Heavy Armor with the Dexterity of Light, and doesn't have constant access to a suit of Power Armor.

>the protection of heavy armor with the Dexterity of light

You know that kyokor armor has dogshit stats and there are really few builds that make it useful, right?

Basically this, or you could just take the actual existing plot of Starbound and have the party be the last of the Protectorate as they flee Earth and ready themselves to face the Ruin.

>Maybe brownies are really good at technology as well

>tfw I realize that the reason my computer starts working again after threatening it is because there is a brownie living inside it who doesn't want to lose his home.

Do space kikimoras play pranks on people living in spaceships while leaving behind sunflower seed shells?

Have they adapted like ysoki, with cheek pouches for carrying sunflower seeds?

>kikimora
>prankster
If by playing pranks you mean causing sleep paralysis, sitting on peoples chests and strangling them just like in the old days, then sure.

So all attack bonuses are character based, weapons and armor just give damage right?

We'll damage and kc/ec

so I have a work friend starting a campaign in a few weeks requested everyone have characters, backstory, and books by then. we have access to every aspect of the book legacy included.

so I want to play Aasimar, it was my favorite race in PF, it fits my backstory best race-wise, and it doesn't appear to be anymore powerful than it was in PF. I was cleared to do so when I mentioned it last week. this morning it gets banhammered. his reasoning being 15 point race, resistances, and I'm going azata-blood so glitterdust as SLA. he calls glittrdust OP.

I raised the argument that the core SF races are all around advanced race levels and get access to far more ridiculous stuff. am I missing something?

Most of the things you said is completely harmless.

That's all one thing.

>am I missing something?
Energy resistance is more powerful at low levels than in PF because of the abundant energy weapons, and Glitterdust is one of the spells that very deliberately did not get converted. If you want to try it anyway, talk to him about switching the SLA, and either nerf the resistances or make them scale or something instead of being 5 at level 1. Alien Archive demonstrates that you can get away with semi-stacking ER 5 vs. 1, or maybe ER 2 vs. 2, but doesn't have anything like the Planetouched ER 5 vs. 3 for PCs.

d'aww

>am I missing something?
being immune to a large portion of the weapons up to lvl 8ish is waht you are missing. your DM is over 9000% correct. read the equipment tables dude

it's still doable, you just need to change some things.
The energy resistences becomes +1EAC, or only one type (not fire), and glitterdust becomes some level 1 spell from the CRB.

Still harmless

Why is the diplomat such a shitty class? What can be done to fix it?

you mean the envoy?
i dont think it is shitty
why do you think it is shitty?

It's not a class that's about the shooty shooty so it's shit because all wants to do is murderhobo.

Why would you need an envoy in a dungeon, and alien crypt, or a harsh planet? This is Starfinder not World of Darkness nonsense.

Because games do not necessarily take place exclusively in dungeons, alien crypts, or harsh planets?

>The only way to interact with anyone and anything is to kill them. talking is clearly a waste of time

I bet you dump stat charisma and take 2hu's math to heart.

well i mean, starfinder is alot different than pathfinder in setting. skills are alot better in it

>Yeah talking to this is gonna is surely a good idea...
Envoy is a waste and a huge burden on any serious party.

>Envoy is a waste and a huge burden on any serious party.

I didn't realize the only thing we were doing was just fighting that thing. What about the rest of the campaign leading up to the fight or do you skip all of that?

What is the size and composition of a serious party?

Like I said, murderhobo.

What if I play a Cha operative if I want to party face?

Then I can shoot people good.

3 operatives and a mechanic