/tgesg/ - Weekend Elder Scrolls Lore General

Arena Whiterun Edition

>Tabletop/P&P RPGs
[Scrollhammer - Tabletop Wargame] 1d4chan.org/wiki/Scrollhammer_2nd_Edition
Discussion in #Scrollhammer (irc.thisisnotatrueending.com (port 6667))
[UESRPG 1e + other TES RPGs] mediafire.com/uesrpg
[UESRPG new link] docs.google.com/document/d/1pTgTN2aJUoY95JtquowagfUJLL7tCQYhzJKcCAcbvio/edit
Discussion in #UESRPG (same server)

>Lore Resources
[The Imperial Library] imperial-library.info/
[/r/teslore] reddit.com/r/teslore/
[UESP/Lore] uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Main_Page
[Pocket Guide to the Lore] docs.google.com/document/d/1AtsWXZKVqB4Q825_SwINY6z4_9NaGknXgeOknOCDuCU/edit
[Elder Lore Podcast] elderlore.wordpress.com/
[How to Become a Lore Buff] forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1112211-how-to-become-a-lore-buff/

>General Rules
No waifus or husbandos period
Keep the MK/Lady N related squabbling to a minimum.
To keep this from becoming /tesg/ minus waifus, don't post memes unless you are also posting quality discussion. Especially if it's not even Elder Scrolls related.

Previous Kalpa:

Other urls found in this thread:

en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Great_War_(book)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Updated the OP with the new UESRPG link as someone requested it last week

It makes me wonder, how powerful the LDB was at the end of Skyrim's entire content?

On par with a Daedric prince, if not Stronger
Herma Mora knew of that and tried to SHEEV him to his side over the entire MQ of Dragonborn
Though this May vary because of Nocturnal

So I was thinking if Orkey might rather have been a cognate of Orgnum than Malacath
Orgnum was identified as the snake god Satakal, a composite of Anu and Padomay, serpentine time god who reign over both the end of a kalpa and the start of the next
Orkey was identified with the snake totem in the Atmoran totemic faith and Orkey is thought to be the precursor for Arkay, who reigns over cycles of time, life/death etc and thought to be the son of Akatosh (making him in some part derivative of the original time dragon)
Where it gets curious for me is the story of Orgnum's rebellion and it's implication for nords, men in general or the wandering ehlnofey even
He was described to be an affluent and powerful aldmer lord in the time of Aldmeris, so dawn era
I buy into the idea that Aldmeris wasn't ever an actual place but the idea of a united, culturally and otherwise, merdom
Aldmeris was also called the Old Ehlnofey and this is the dawn era so it stands to reason to me that aldmer weren't actually mer but the old ehlnofey themself
So the story goes that Orgnum rebels and is rebuffed and banished with his followers to be forever cut off from Aldmeris, elvendom, Old Ehlnofey, and they supposedly become the maormer of Pyandonea
This all is supposed to happen before the wholesale shattering of Aldmeris that splits the aldmer into their various subsets, dwmer, chimer, ayleid et al
Now what if instead of maormer it's actually the origin story of the wandering ehlnofey, the predecessors of the races of men, now cut off from the other ehlnofey? (who knows, maybe maormer were actually just exiles from Summerset like PGE1 says, who later appropriated the legend of Orgnum as it reflected their own plight)
Orkey after all is thought to be the reason why nords have such fleeting lifespans when before they supposedly lived as long as elves, that he "tricked them into a bargain that bound them to count their winters" with the help of Alduin, cont.

Which Daedric Prince would be the god of shitposting?

Alduin, another world eater aspect of Aka time dragon, reminiscent of Satakal
What's most interesting to me is what it would imply about Aka in the dawn era
You have Auri-El representing THE original time dragon and the king of aldmer (old ehlnofey)
And somewhere along the line around comes Alduin, an aspect of Aka but separate
In elven lore you have Auri-El the time dragon and Orgnum-Satakal who rebels against him
Later on the fights of Aldudagga describe how Aka-Tusk calls Alduin "aspect Ald" that "Heaven itself that shed" Alduin from him for whatever that's worth
Anyway, that's what I've been thinking while waiting for the weekend, might not amount to anything but there it is nonetheless

MK once described the Void Nights as "A Thalmor eugenics experiment". Anyone else suspect this is probably code for 'Bethesda doesn't intend to feature any of the khajiit sub-races in future installments of the series'?

Maybe not intentionally, but I don't doubt that Bethesda will use any and all excuses for having to do less work.

Sheo, or Sanguine. Both of their quests in Skyrim were basically trolling the LDB.

Are all the Ashlanders dead by the 4th era?

hopefully

The explosion of Red Mountain came as a surprise to many, but I wonder if the Ashlander's focus of the land gave them any warning - or even Azura, and they fled. But if so, to where?

Yeah, I'm betting if we do go to Elswyre or somewhere near it (where we might see an increased Khajiit presence), we'll only see one type of Khajiit and it will be blamed on the Thalmor manipulating the moons.

After all, if they have to rig up different skeletons that adds like, a few more hours worth of work they'd have to do; but they could hand-wave it with a sentence and then not do it at all.

didn't oblivion stated that the Thalmor were working with the Daedra?
which daedric prince would fare with their shenanigans?

I vaguely recall some NPC chatter about summerset wizards, but I don't recall them working with Daedra.

I also don't think any Daedra want to unmake the physical realm/Mundus; rule it, sure, but not unmake it.

I very well could be remembering this all incorrectly, it's been years since I played Oblivion.

There wasn't a Thalmor (at least not related to Skyrim's Thalmor) in Oblivion

You will need to buy the deluxe mode with some bethesda coins to see different type khajiit, they're hiding with moon sugar illusions

Don't know about that, but once upon a time in Oblivion's development the Mythic Dawn and Dagon laying waste to Tamriel was supposed to be an Ayleid resurgency plot afaik

>Syndicates of wizards have been boycotting imperial goods in the land of the Altmer"
also
>"i heard that There's a high increase of Daedric practitioners on the Summerset isles of late"

Thanks, I tried googling it, but I wasn't getting any good results.

on UESP Summerset Isles page
>During the game of Oblivion you may overhear NPCs talking about trouble in Summerset Isle, quoting "I understand Daedra worship has become increasingly prevalent in the Summerset Isle." "They say syndicates of wizards have led a boycott of Imperial goods in the land of the Altmer." and "The Altmer have powerful wizards. It could become a dangerous situation."

Lorkan used our ancestors to create mundas so they destroyed him for it I don't recall it saying he used his magic to create so doesn't that make him deadra It says that the deadra refused to create and keep there power so they are not our ancesters

His heart is one of the stones though, arguably one of the more important ones for Mundus's stability so far as I understand
He too sacrificed himself (in a way) to keep the whole thing together

Shit, I remember reading some big spiel about the Thalmor being Jyggalgag worshipers on the Bethsoft forums.
It makes sense in regards to the narrative, filling in the jumping off point built between the Shivering Isles and Skyrim.
With Skyrim the Thalmor just sort of mysteriously launched themselves out of the blue as a political powerplayer, and we have no mentioning of what exactly happened to Jyggalag after Shivering Isles. There could be a connection there, hell, it's possible the reason for making Jyggalag the way he is, as seen in Shivering Isles, was a set up for the Thalmor plot of Skyrim.
Not to mention how Jyggalag seems like a very fitting god (if a secret god) for the Thalmor (though I also tend to believe that the Thalmor are prolific followers of Trinimac as well).

The Daedric Prince of Order Sees Nirn as Lawless world who must undone and remade into his will and likeness

yeah it makes sense since he's now roaming Oblivion doing whatever the shit is good for him to regains his power and start a new Greymarch

If Peliniel was a tike traveling robot/cyborg, why didt he get talos blessing to deal the final blow to umeriel instead of die?

Is it against the rules to talk about our characters ? I like to make story's about my characters some d&d shit

I dunno but I'm going to do it, since the questions I have are directly lore related and I need some help parsing some information.

Ask away though, maybe I can help a bit.
Alright gents, I need some help with some history, timeline I'm working with is the beginning of Skyrim.

Which Legions were stationed in Hammerfell when the Thalmor attacked in the great war?

How much attrition did they suffer from the March of Thirst?

They were reinforced by legions from Skyrim, that much I know, but how big of a role did local fighters play?

I've read about the Invalids, but I can't imagine they were numerous enough to fight pitched battles against Dominion forces. Is it safe to assume that they waged asymmetrical warfare? If so, is it safe to assume that the local populace played a large role in assisting them?

Assuming the attrition rate was high enough, would it make sense for a low ranking officer who was General Decius's standard bearer and adjutant to make the rank of Legate and be left in command of the Invalids?

Is the conflict in Hammerfell vague enough for me to basically make up as I go along?

These are questions about my characters direct background, I have a few more about his family history, but I think that's enough for now.

I've been trying to make Nord clan names without using a generator, they all sound they would fit in any TES game?

>Blue-Hunter
>Red-Fang
>Snowtalon
>Rune-Mark
>Windborne
>Wolf-Strider

>Windborne
this is the only one that kinda works, mostly because wind is an important thing in nord culture

Remember these have to be taken liberally to some extent.

Wolf-Runner is a Skaal name.

Skjoldr Wolf-Runner is in the Skaal village in Bloodmoon.

Runemark kind of sticks out, but the rest aren't bad.

I know because I jacked that name for my Skyrim character

The first three questions are pretty impossible to answer, as we have no solid official numbers or lists of which legions were involved.

>Is it safe to assume that [the Invalids] waged asymmetrical warfare?
Based off the way it's described here: en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Great_War_(book) I would assume so.
>These veterans[, the Invalids] formed the core of the army that eventually drove Lady Arannelya's forces back across the Alik'r late in 174, taking heavy losses on their retreat from harassing attacks by the Alik'r warriors.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the Imperial Legions to say one way or the other about an officer raising in rank like that. Hopefully someone more informed can help you.

>Is the conflict in Hammerfell vague enough for me to basically make up as I go along?
I would say so. Brush up on the info in the link I posted earlier, that's going to give you as much info as you can get on the subject, more or less. I would say as long as you know the major points and don't go too far into the Mary Sue territory with the character, you should be fine.

I've used them all except Rune-Mark and Snowtalon, I kind of want to use Stormtalon but that sounds too much like Stormcloak.

Anyone?

I'm not done deciphering that post yet

Depends on whether you consider ESO canon, there are mainland ashlander tribes that live in and around the velothi mountains.

Thanks, I was wondering if there was any other official source besides that book.

As far as snowflake territory goes, I think I'm avoiding it. I'd wouldn't mind a second opinion though.

I know I'm at the risk of straying too far from lore talk, but this is just a back story, and I'd appreciate y'alls opinion on it.

I'm basically doing a "Hemmingway in WWII," war correspondent play through of Skyrim. My character's name is Haldan Sulla, third son of a minor noble from Anvil county, mother was a Thane's daughter who was touring Cyrodil with her father, they became smitten, blah blah. Point is he's half Nord.

He attended the Imperial War college, where his greatest interest of study was the way the Khajiit fought so unconventionally, and was stationed in Hammerfell under General Decius after graduating. Being the youngest officer, he was appointed standard bearer as tradition dictates, and also served as the General's adjutant.

Which means he had a very clear view of what was happening on a command level when the Thalmor attacked. He barely survives the March of Thirst, and is wounded in the leg during a rear guard action that causes him a permanent limp. After being reinforced by the Legions from Skyrim, he was put in charge of a detachment of calvary, made up mostly of veterans of Decius's legion, and charged with harrassing the enemy supply lines. He could not be relegated to administration duties as would be normal for a wounded officer in the field due to the high amount of casualties suffered by the Legions officer core.

He became extremely effective at coordinating hit and run attacks, smashing into a caravan or small patrol and then melting away into the dunes. When the order came for Decius to return to return with his legions to Cyrodil, he could think of no better officer to "discharge," as an Invalid.

Cont.

seriously, sorry if this is in poor form, let me know

Sounds fine to me, honestly.

The only thing I can think of that is a bit off is that "half nords" don't really exist. As I understand it children are born the race of the mother, and might have characteristic of the father (I.E. a Male Orc and a Female Dunmer have a child. The child will be a Dunmer, but might be a bit more bulky like an orc, or he might have some slightly orc-like facial features).

Overall, I'd say your character idea is fine.

>Thalmor were working with the Daedra
That would make no fucking sense, considering the ideology of the Thalmor.

Could mean culturally, one parent being nord having extended nord family might leave iys marks so that they consider themself a particularly nordy colovian or takes pride in their nordic lineage

Its not like it would have to be the whole thalmor, just the leaders which we don't know about yet.

Using the small core of hardened Legionairres, the ferocity of local fighters, as well as a small auxiliary of battlemages (very small, little more than a dozen) and the cooperation of the local populace, "Legate," Sulla was able to affect great damage and chaos on the Dominion forces. He would strike hard and fast, conducting daring raids on Thalmor camps and supply lines, and then slip away every time. He was wounded badly during a particularly brutal ambush and took ill for almost a month, nearly dying. This changed his attitude considerably, and his future attacks were more conservative, although still effective.

If anyone has any thoughts on a neat nickname the Thalmor might have given a particularly troublesome guerilla leader I'd be very appreciative

When the Legions returned, he proudly reclaimed his place by Decius's side as his standard bearer when the Legion beat back the enemy. He was officially retired afterward, and his rank was upgraded from a battle-field promotion to his official rank.

After the War, he wrote 2 books about his experiences in Hammerfell. "March of Thirst," describes his actions with the XIII Legion in their desperate fight to stay alive in the opening days, and "The Invalids," chronicles his days as a guerilla commander. "Invalids," is studied by War College cadets for it's impressive insights into unconventional warfare.

I'm actually writing 2 series of in-game books by these titles, think maybe 4-5 part books

He began writing for the newly reformed Black Horse Courier, and picked up a new passion for playing the Lute. He also has a fairly serious drinking problem, and occasional mood swings that make him murderous and vicious.
>pic related

He's in Skyrim to cover the Civil War, and I'm currently writing very detailed notes in game that I'm going to compile into articles later.
Yes, he's tall and broad and strong like a Nord, but has tanned skin.

>pic related
>forget to post pic
Sorry, I'm retarded.
>mfw I black out in Windhelm and wake up in Dragons Bridge

Sorry I was phone posting.

There is a theory that, Peliniel Whitestrike, the Divine Crusader, is a time traveling robot or cyborg, if that was the case why did't he get the blessing of Talos so he can fully kill Umeriel? Instead Umeriel was only temporally.

Talos wasn't a thing back then.

But he surely was during Peliniel's original time right? Why did't he get his blessing THEN time travel?

We don't know much about Pelinal, the 'future' he came from probably didn't have Talos because Pelinal's actions changed how the world turned out, which includes Hjalti's birth and all of that.

Talos is a false god

You've got it. His mother was a "Strong Nord woman," and taught him and his brothers their Nordic heritage alongside that of their Imperial background.

I'm setting him up to be somewhat conflicted internally over the war, despite leaning heavily towards a Pro Imperial slant in his articles due to the audience. I'm not sure where I'd post his personal journal, but this is all for my own amusement anyways, so it doesn't really matter.

I haven't given much thought to the Nord side of his heritage, but here's a quick rundown on his Father's
>founder was an Anvil County guard called to serve in the Battle of Bruma
>during the Battle, legend holds that Sulla took a blow meant for Martin
>the blow was so powerful that it split his helm and took out his eye, but Sulla struck the Dremora who'd hit him dead and fought on like a man possessed
The Martin bit is BS, but remember TES is famous for unreliable narrators
>he was inducted into the Knights Errant and given a small parcel of land and title compensatory with his new rank
Remember them from Morrowind? What happened to those guys?
>the family crest displays a split helm, and the actual article is displayed in the family manor
And he did only have one eye, so the part about the wound is legit at least.
>Sir Sulla turned out to be a shrewd investor and soon had a moderately sized import/export ring that made the family very, very wealthy
>since his second, third, and fourth son all served in the Legion, it is tradition for Sulla men who are not first born to do at least one tour

We believe that Pelinial came from Reman's period of reign, so no, Talos wouldn't have existed yet. Also

Who are stronger overall. The aedra or deadra?

And that's about it gents. I'd appreciate any thoughts, critique and opinions. Pardon my autism, I know it's a wall of text, I'm just really excited about it. It's a good feeling, finding a new creative outlet.

Seems well thought out except for the lack of the mother's family history

Well, the Aedra are dead, so the Deadra.

You can't really think of it in terms of group strength, each one is an individual and never really part of a group.

Can't say that this is a Nice Theory after all, But then the Thalmor were acting way before the crisis HIT, Unless Jyggalag made contact with the Aldmeri Sorcerers way before Oblivion's greymarch happens, during the previous one.

Ironically Jyg may know to shut down ADA-MANTIA

*literally

Pick things that are description of the people you'd normally find in those clans. Nord clan names probably start as titles of an individual, like the Norse in real life.
Remember that the most fomouse Norse conqueror in real life, Ragnar Lodbrok, got his title from his furry pants he wore (Lodbrok means "hairy breeches). Atleast thats how I remember the story.

Clan Gray-Mane probably got named for an old man, perhaps a jarl. Or maybe the clan is known for living exceptionally long lives.

Talos = Akatosh > Daedra > Aedra

>Reman's period of reign
Far beyond that more than likely, he's familiar with Reman because well, you know, Reman did exist.

But the games don't even follow that, like Battle-Born, Cruel-Sea, Shatter-Shield, etc.

Did Reman not send mothships into space? Would they not have had the technology to make a weird elf hating robot, theoretically? Am I mixing my eras up?

>born on the day of a large battle
>patriarch lost in a bad storm
>had a tendency to smash people's shield do to being so powerful

trainwiz, plz stop with the Meridia Pelinal Shipping

some one help me understand the UESRPG combat. Am I dumb for not getting it? Never played a pen and paper but wouldt mind trying one out

I figure the name Gray-Mane comes from losing the "fair hair" to gray early on in life?

Norse clan names didn't generally come from individual nicknames irl just so you know

Is Thane a hereditary title? How does nobility in Skyrim even work? I understand the Jarls govern holds by hereditary rights guaranteed by the King, are Thanes like knights? Or are they more like minor nobles working land under the protection of a Duchy?

Whether or not it's hereditary is probably the most important bit here honestly. There's so many gaps in basic detail I feel, like how are the Legions organised? What are the titles of the officer corps? Do they have NCO's? How does the feudal system of Skyrim work? How do they go to war? It's a tiny bit frustrating to be honest.

What are you having problems with?

What determines me being able to hit an opponent. How many DoS do I need. That kind of stuff.

Thane seems like it is not a hereditary title, it carries prestige for people who aid the hold in some way. For some that's through commerce, for the player character it varies.

For Imperial Legion titles, and ranks you could look up uesp's Morrowind and Skyrim ranks for the Legion.

Okay, so hitting someone is described in the "Attacking & Defending" subchapter of the "Combat" chapter, on page 67.

Just like anything else, hitting with an attack is a Skill Test. That means you roll, and you need to get equal to or under your target number. For combat, the target number is your chosen Characteristic (Strength or Agility), plus 10x the level of your relevant Combat Style skill.

Let's say you swing at me with your mace, which is a weapon that within your combat style.
It's just a normal attack, so you don't get any advantages or disadvantages.
Your character has a Strength of 42 and an Agility of 37, and he's a Journeyman within his Combat Style. Since Combat Style can use either Strength or Agility, and the foremost is higher, you go with that. Journeyman is the 2nd level of a skill, which means you add +20 to your target number. You need to roll equal to or under 62 to succeed.

You roll 58, a good roll, which means you succeed. Your Degree of Success is determined by your number of "10s", meaning you have 5 DoS.

I'm playing the defender. Before I roll, I pick how I defend.
I decide to parry, how unfortunately I have a dagger, a weapon I'm not trained with. My best Characteristic is my Agility of 52, but the fact that I'm untrained means I suffer a -20 to my target number. I roll a 36, which is over my target number of 32, meaning I fail.

This means you won, and you get to resolve the attack and also use your advantage (see page 67 again).

Thanks for putting in the effort for this user.

If he came from a timeline in which Reman was not a thing, how could he praise his name?

That's an old image

So in regards to UESRPG 3e:

Why the hell are characteristics so prohibitively expensive to raise? With my rolls, it would cost my breton mage 5060 XP to hit 50 Willpower, which is more expensive than training myself to master rank in two magic schools I've never even heard of up until that point. This wouldn't be such a big deal if a bunch of higher level talents didn't mandate having 50 in a characteristic, which both requires choosing the right race and simultaneously rolling like a complete god.

Am I missing something here?

Right, so Thanes are more like Knights than minor Lords. It seems they would be mostly land owners though, right? What would be some other titles for Nord nobility? There's got to be more than Jarls and Thanes. Or do titles just not pass down in Nord culture? I imagine land does, but maybe each man has to earn his title, land owner or not?

And parsing together ranks from UESP is giving me a pretty complete picture. Some of the books are from ESO, but I believe that discussion of troop strengths and orginization is fairly reliable.

I'll post a breakdown once I finish digging through it.

If I wanted to write a story that would happen at the beginning of the First Era, what would be different technologically? Was there any progress at all? Or maybe regress, since Dwemer disappeared? What about the nature- any big changes there, outside of the obvious?

Why so ded /tgesg/?

the last tes game was released 6 years ago, a new one wont be released for 2-3 years at least, the last new bit of lore was the translation of calcelmos stone they posted on twitter, there is not much left to discuss

Tfw you will never be the bodyguard to a condescending Altmer noblewoman.

Tfw she will never call you to her chambers for more "personal" protection.

No waifus.

Metaphysics are tapped out right now and not many anons go for worldbuilding.

>modded skyrim
Full pleb.

On the contrary, we have a lot to talk about. The official material has only given us a narrow, not very detailed look at the world of Nirn.

I've been missing out on the last 5 threads or so. Has there been any interesting discussion?

Yes, Reachmen aren't Breton.

>call you to her chambers for more "personal" protection.
>demands you fetch her a nord skin condom then tells you to get out

yeah but what about online? unless youre convinced itll be retconned with tes vi, the new mmo is a deep reservoir of new lore

What happens to the losing side's soldiers in the Skyrim civil war? Do they just defect or are they sent out of their home when they really just wanted to save Skyrim?

Is the Imperial Legion de-centralized where soldiers from the Skyrim Theatre get to go back home when there no longer is a skyrim theatre?

Are spell books something that anybody can read and instantly learn how to use the spell? Was thinking about doing a [/spoiler]TES Quest[/spoiler] eventually and needed to know how exactly that works in lore for the sake of progression and power build

General Reminder that Eugenics in Elder Scrolls is retarded

Legionnaires probably slip the border into High Rock, Cyrodiil, and Morrowind and rejoin another Legion. The 7th Legion will take a long time to reconstitute after the loss in Skyrim, including officer positions.

Stormcloaks having nowhere to go either put down their weapons and return to their families, or hideout in the wilds and continue the fight. Their fates are probably managing a living in the wilds, giving up the fight, or being hunted down by the Imperial Legion.

Depends
I'd guess that the Empire would ironically deal harsher with former Stormcloak soldiers as they were not just enemies but also rebels
The fact that all form of centralised command within the Stormcloak army gets executed at Windhelm, starting a dialogue to discuss terms and clemency for the losing side became a lot harder
Most likely the Stormcloak soldiers are faced with two options: fighting the Empire until their deaths or returning home and act like none of it ever happened

The Stormcloaks would probably allow (read enforce) the Imperial soldiers that still remain to leave Skyrim and allow the Nord soldiers to return to their homes, although they will suffer severe prejudice from the other citizens

All in all, while both sides really hate one another, they still don't want to exterminate everyone fighting for the other side and the losing side will be spared from the worst fate

hungover and trying to recover before I go to some haunted house. I'd normally try and discuss something but it feels like my insides want to be my outsides.

I'd assume most are in common Tamrielic. Normally only scrolls are written in Daedric.

Out patrolling the Reach, making High Rock safer for REAL Bretons from these Witchmen.

Maybe practice it a few times if they have a background with magic, if not that would probably depend on the spell. Something simple like lighting a candle would probably take an hour for someone who's never done magic, casting something like Hearth Heal would definitely take a good day, and something like Ebonyflesh would be pretty much impossible for a novice.