SSSS /Stand Still Stay Silent General/

Cold Day Dreams Edition

>What is SSSS?
Stand Still. Stay Silent" is a post apocalyptic webcomic with elements from Nordic mythology, set 90 years in the future. It's mostly a story about friendship and exploring a forgotten world, with some horror, monsters and magic on the side. The comic also updates 4 times a week, on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. This General is for people to come together and discuss the comic, all whilst developing systems for games set in the world, as well as original content.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molokai
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Latest page coming through.

Last RPG update pdf please?

At work for another hour and a half, I'll post it when I get home.

I was hoping to have Vikingr playable by now, but it's not quite there yet. Need to finish the 'Magic' and 'Weapons' section primarily, as well as polishing up my "level up" mechanic.

The good news is that Monster Gen turned out really cool, and I think you guys will enjoy it. I included it in a separate "Game Master's Handbook" document, since I believe the players shouldn't know what the monsters are capable of.

Thankfully our most best boy(girl) is in no danger of having to drive things in foreseeable future.

Goddammit Sigrun.

She isn't the one I'd put blame on.
It is all Tuuri's fault

Yay its SSS/Saturday!

Posting all my maps and lore for bonus content.

State of Alaska
Goverment type: Constitutional republic
Population: 33.500
Immunity: 22%
Economic base: Ore, oil and technology
Languages: English, Native tounges. Russian is taught as second language.
Religion: Orthodox 60% other christian 10% Native spiritualism/paganism 30%

Alaska is all that remains of the great superpower that was the united states. Its population crippeled, and scattered around several islands.
Still, the American spirit remains unbroken.

Alaska is rich in two things, ore and pre-plague technology.

During the days of the infection, the american goverment relocated large amounts of weapons, electronic, knowhow data and other valuables to the state. As well as moving the president and other high ranking peronel there aswell.

To this day, the presidency still rules from Alaska, with the old constitution and rights of the union still apllying. Albeit, with only one (crippeled) state remaining.

While vastly undermanned, the Alaskan army is the most technologically advanced in the Bering strait, respected even by the highly militarized kamchatkans.
The Alaskan fleet, while only containing a handful of the old pacific fleet, is still powerful enough to patrol the waters, and fight of infected sea-beasts.

Alaskan culture highly idealises americana of old (think fallout style, kinda), and Alaskans dream of one day restoring their great nation. Although more and more Russian influence has been creeping in due to trade and diplomacy. To the displeasure of many Alaskans.

Another uniting force is the Orthodox religion, which is the most widely practised religion in Alaska, while alreade consisting og 1/7 of the population in pre-sickness era, the religion skyrocketed after the orthodox faithful started displaying magical abilities. Primeraly warding off the trolls.

Forgot my name

Great Kamchatka
Population: 85.530
Immunity: 19%
Languages: Russian. Native kamchatkan languages
Religion: Slavic paganism. With a minority of orthodox and native tengrist faiths

Due to its isolation, and the natural defence if the permafrost, kamchatka was spared the blunt of the pandemic.

The area where the penisula conects to the mainland is covered in snow and frost year round, making it difficult or nearly imposible for trolls and infected beasts to cross

The kamtchatkans capitulize on this with the construction of the triple bastions. A series of fortresses, walls, fences and cleared minefields. These baricades, combined woth the harsh conditions, protect the population from the dangers of the mainland.

Kamchatkan russians mostly follow the old gods, of which Perun, Svarog and all the other major gods are populer.
Worship is fairly standardised, with a couple of standerized holy teksts, and a grand temple in the capital Petropavlovsk

One peculier Kamchatkan custom is the veneration of the minor deity Ded Moroz, the bringer of frost and winter. While assosiated with childrens stories and western notions of "santa claus" in the pre-plauge era, Ded Moroz has regained the respect a winter god of death deserves.
He is viewed as the savior and eternal guardian of the peninsuala, due to the harsh cold keeping trolls and grosslings away

9% of the poulation is still eastern orthodox, and in open communion with the patriarch in Vladivostok, and the autocephalous patriarchy of Alaska

Religious tensions are high, but mitigated by the fact that most orthodox live in their own oblasts.

Kamchatka is as heavily militarised as expected of a nation in a post rash world. Fights with invading trolls do take place at the northern forts. Due to their low immunity rate, Kamchatkan soldier wear gas masks at all times while old and archaic the image of the fearless masked kamchatkan soldier is iconic through the entire strait.

>That spoiler.
You shut your whore mouth. Tuuri is pure, PURE!!

Not after that troll put his virus in her

really dont know what happened

this pic goes with this post

Stop user. Don't do this to me.

The latest version of Vikingr! A pretty big update this time around, and approaching a playable state. If anyone was thinking about giving it a test run, now would be the time to start drafting ideas or giving feedback.

Changelog:

Revised Magic chapter introduction
Expanded Noita (Finnish Mage section)
Began weapons list, big thanks to a resident /k/omrade. Currently only has pre-Rash rifles.
Began GM Handbook (see next post) that will have some helpful stuff about setting up a game of Vikingr, as well as the start of monster generation rules.

Current priorities include:

Finishing Creating a Character section, adding Background Stats, revised creation rules, Qualities, and a guide to using Experience.
Clarifying Combat and Status Effects
Finishing Weapons List
Finishing Monster Generation
Beginning Loot Tables

Let me know if there's something you guys would rather see first. Let me know what you think of the latest version!

Game Master's Handbook

FUCK FORGOT THE PDF

Make me

I'm wondering if "partial immunity" and no full immunity would be a good thing.

It is not true to cannon but it may be good for gameplay where no character would be totally immune and for not immune not all hits would be lethal.

There'll be rules for contracting the Rash, but I don't think 'partial immunity' would really be necessary to implement. Not every attack from the Trapped Ones will result in Infection.

>the american goverment relocated large amounts of weapons, electronic, knowhow data and other valuables to the state. As well as moving the president and other high ranking peronel there aswell.
This bit feels like a mistake. Perhaps one of the continuity members of the US government was stranded in Alaska when everybody finally realized we needed a quarantine (or perhaps was on a pacific fleet ship, and the Pacific fleet has mostly relocated to Alaska), but wholesale relocation of the government should be doomed to fail, and besides, established plans would stick the acting gov into a bunker, not send them to the frontier.

A designated survivor would have access to a duplicate of the nuclear football, and while I suspect that the air launched leg of the nuclear triad would not survive the escalation of the infestation long enough to be able to respond to a release authorization, the SLBM leg will survive with certainty, and the land based missile program has good odds of self quarantine success.

Perhaps there is a military airlift to bring the treasures of the old world to secure bases, but the civilian government has too much necessary outside contact for them to escape a long-gestation plague threat.

So Alaska has no real safe area.
Is Kodiak Island doomed due to its proximity to Anchorage?

I agree with whoever did the BC map in that the Queen Charlotte Islands /Haida Gwaii stands a decent chance of survival due to its isolation and very low population.

We need to start putting "Vikingr" in the OP so that these threads are easier to look up once archived.

Especially since it's the name of the RPG being worked on and we dont want to be kicked off the board.

Did any of the threads get archived on suptg? Icant find them.

This is fucking awesome.

Yeah, great work user!

I found it in the first thread.

What are the odds areas 1 through 4 would survive, or need to be cleansed?
I believe South America user said anything south of them would likely survive, but wasn't clear on these regions. With those level of highways I'm thinking they may be too populated.
On the other hand the military in the region might get their shit together and block the major overland routes.

Highway definition in this map is a bit different I think.
I think it means road that have asphalt on most of it as opposed to mostly ground road.

Bump

I was hoping for them racing to a cure just to get it too late, and losing tuuri slowly and painfully. Her death was waaaay too anticlimactic and sudden for me.

Getting cured is worse than death
On the other side medicine could work if they have mage to properly guide soul back to the body.

Bump bump goes the Dälahästen

Thoughts for any other places in the world there might be survivors?

There have been lots of suggestions for nomadic groups in Siberia, Alaska, NW Territories and even the Sahara. Not sure how best to represent those on a map.

If some people managed to set-up an Antarctic base, then they might still be alive. They might starve to death though.

Maybe color in a region of commonly traveled areas?

Also, there's a good chance some Pacific Islands made it through the Rash, the worst thing the more remote regions have to worry about is some big species and some invasive rats.

Hawaii. The only mammal species native to the area are invasive species, and regularly hunted ones at that.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molokai

Population 7,345
Tourism less than 70k per year meaning they might have time to enact quarantine. The airport and proximity to Oahu are both liabilities.
Should have enough agriculture to remain self sufficient. I give them better odds than the big island.

If the US forces at Oahu take steps to keep the inevitable outbreak there from spreading to the other Islands I think they might do ok.
I wonder how far they would go? Nuke Honolulu once it's clear they cant save it, or burn it to the ground using the fuel reserves?

>Red Hill Bulk Fuel Storage Facility
>can store up to 250 million gallons of fuel.
I'm thinking burn it?

I'd think so. I don't know where the wind would blow the fallout in case of a nuclear attack, but I would guess that they wouldn't risk it.

Shouldn't Japan have fared better than this pic suggests? It was the first or second country to close it's borders when the epidemic started, plus it was pretty far from where it started. Or is there something I'm missing because I'm only on page 180?

I'm going off maps collected from previous threads like this one.

I haven't heard anything about Japan. It does have a high population for a country it's size. 127 million. Everything we've seen so far has shown that large populations mean a low chance of survival early on before immunity.

There is a strip hinting at more mountainous and impassable areas of China.

I am so ready for a wuxia spinoff of SSSS I'm not even kidding

No one has anything to say about Vikingr? Not that I'm desperate for feedback, but if I don't hear anything, I'll be keeping mostly everything the same.

I don't really know much about the crunch of tabletop games yet, so I can't really give opinions on anything. If I did, I'd tell you what I thought.

It's been good so far. But could use more HU
UUUUUUUNNNNGERRRR, general all-around terror when faced with Giants and the like, and some more stuff on Mages and their "Havens". But other than that, pretty good.

Ok, I suppose that's fair. I'm kind of flying blind myself, which I think is both a disadvantage (I don't really know what I'm doing) and an advantage (I can make whatever I want without feeling constrained by other systems).
Care to elaborate on HUNGER? Also, happy to hear you're liking what you're seeing. I'll get more into the Sanctuaries once I make more Ghost enemies - they seem to be the primary enemy of sleeping mages.

I've given a opinion that infection should not be a 0-1 thing, but you are already working on that part.

It shouldn't be save or die one roll thing. It is shit in dnd where by time where save or die things become "real" resurrection is only matter of gold. So in a setting without clerics raising people, player should have some control at his chance of surviving potentially infectious encounter, even if it contradicts the lore a bit.

Or maybe mages could do it but none is high level enough for that. Going by ACKS take on demographics there would be less than 5 10 lvl mages that coud cast dndn 5th level raise dead an none capable of casting resurrection.

I mean, it makes sense that not every infectious event would result in an in infection. Perhaps some kind of medical assistance can increase a character's chances of resisting the initial infection.

>Care to elaborate on HUNGER?
Basically, it should be difficult to find food in places beyond the Known World, stuff that hasn't been infected or eaten by the Grosslings should be hard to come by. And rations should be preserved at all costs, and split evenly between members. Basically a kind of starvation/food-gathering or preserving mechanic.

So do the mechanics I have need to be changed? Adjusted? Made more difficult?

You could tweak them if you so wish. I'm honestly just throwing thins out here at this point.

Tuuri is way too cute.

Too bad she's Dead

Whipped up a quick cover for the Game Master's Handbook.

Neato! Looks pretty damn cool! I especially like how you used one of the comics more captivating pages for it.

Latest page. Emil being a spoiled brat.

Goddammit Emil...

As for world that died once, they maintain rather high living standard.

Same with military, whoever build that danish tanks spared no expenses for them.

Why couldn't they just use glorious Danish Leopard 2s instead of big clunky retard tanks...

They probably lost them all on Denmark proper. Remember, they're all living on a small island off the coast now.

IT BEGINS.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS. MAGE EMIL IS NOW!!

How I'm imagining the first Vikingr party will look like.

Good grief, how horrifying.

I found it!

What about mountains? Could there be safe spots in some mountain ranges high enough to be too cold for the Rash?

Also a crazy idea, but what if Ebola 'repels' Rash? What if there's some other 'infection' that works against the Rash?

>What about mountains? Could there be safe spots in some mountain ranges high enough to be too cold for the Rash?
The mountains and the tribes within them are most likely safe from infection for the most part. It would be difficult our the Rash to quite set-in up there I think.

>Also a crazy idea, but what if Ebola 'repels' Rash? What if there's some other 'infection' that works against the Rash?
I doubt it. The Rash is some super-heavy magic bullshit that can cut-off even *gods* from their faithful by trapping their souls. I don't think normal infections would fare well against it.

Yeah, I mean what if there's other infections out there that's as powerful as the Rash but didn't get as widespread as the Rash? Like, so far we've seen temperate places get fucked by the Rash, but what about the tropical ones? Just an idea for an 'expanded' campaign or setting. A world where there are more than one world-ending infection. And they fight against each other, as well as the surviving pockets of human civilization.

Straying a bit further from canon... what do you guys think of the Rash being challenged by a slow-ish Grey Goo infestation?

>Straying a bit further from canon... what do you guys think of the Rash being challenged by a slow-ish Grey Goo infestation?
Depends on whether or not the Google can spread fast enough to reach the point before tell Rash starts creating mountain-sized Giants and other atrocities. Otherwise, it gets its shit pushed in.

I've been trying to figure out which part of China this picture is from. I'll need to talk to my father because he visited a region like this and would know where.

I've been thinking parts of Tibet, Nepal and even kashmir may work for this reason.

More remote parts of the Rockies in NA could work too provided everyone with a gun didn't run there carrying the infection with them. Which is a real problem with the US and Canada's well developed infrastructure.

>Indonesian Gentleman
My modern knowledge of Indonesia and the surrounding archipelagos is practically nil, or heavily out of date. Any good candidates through the region?

Huangshan AKA Yellow Mountain.

Huangshan City (pop 1.3 million) is within 50 km which is a problem. Still the terrain is ideal, even if the weather is not. Only just below freezing in the winter months. Still, it might be enough.

Added Huangshan cleansed zone.

Added yellow circles to potential areas pockets of survivors might be found in. Feel free to add more.

So is there now 2 different SSSS rpgs? Is one more robust than the other? I might try to run one of these with my group.

The first one (that's on 1d4chan) never really got anywhere, from what I could tell.

Vikingr (the newer version) is chugging along at a decent clip, but it requires a bit more work before it's ready to play.

If you're looking to give it a try, let me know what you think of Vikingr so far. I'll see what I can do to have it playable before you start.

Indonesia's probably fucked. Too many people and animals. The islands are too flush with vegetation to deny the Rash trolls their sunburns.

What about the rest of the region?

Given that cats are immune to the virus, what are the odds of someplace on Earth keeping guard tigers, jaguars, lions or other big cats to help combat trolls and giants?

Probably pretty high. Wouldn't be surprised if some ancient tiger god decided to grant some people it's blessings to help combat the Grosslings.

Turns out that Africa is just fine, divided into a northern resurgence of Egypt under the protection of Bast and Sehkmet, while the rest is full of lions and tribesmen fighting off Hyenaphants.

Siberia and their tiger armies laugh at everyone else.

India has decided that rakshasa are actually some okay guys after all.

This makes me want an excuse to have Aztec gods still around.