A Setting where all Heroes are Rangers

What can you tell me about the Dunedain and their ways, Veeky Forums? Do you know of any other badass Ranger cultures I could base a setting around?

>What sort of land would need a large contingent of Rangers?
>How would one sustain a large organisation of Rangers committed to charting an expansive land and protecting it and the people from each other?
>What are the different Orders, Schools or Groups they could have?
>What would their gods or religion be about?

Right now, I'm working with:
>Night's Watch
>Tibetan Monasteries
>Witcher
>Monster Hunter
What else can you offer, guys?

Other urls found in this thread:

frontierpartisans.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

the Dunedain are a remnant group of a larger civilization that was destroyed previously. They are a Ranger culture by choice, not a civilization of Rangers.

>A Setting where all Heroes are Rangers

Not tacky enough for me

Were they all descendants of Numenor or what? Why did all of them exile themselves, because of Isildur?

Is there anything known about Aragorn's father btw?

you could imagine them all as puerto rican?

They are the descendants of Arnor. The Numenorian capital in Middle Earth after Numenor was sunk. Arnor was wiped out by the Witch King and his armies of Angmar. After he was driven back, the last remnants of Arnor became the rangers we know. They stay around that area to protect the shire and the surrounding area from anything that may come down from the ruins of Angmar to start shit.

Aragorns father is Arathorn. Was leader of the rangers for a while until he got killed when Aragorn was still young. That's about all of his history.

Rangers IRL were originally hired by nobles and kings to protect their forests from dangerous animals and poachers. In the Americas, rangers were known as scouts and guides who helped settlers defeat the Indians (who had an obvious advantage in terms of knowing the land). These evolved into the modern park ranger/army ranger respectively, and Tolkien put a heroic spin on the concept.

So the best place for rangers would be on the edge of an ever-expanding frontier, like in America. As settlers move in, the rangers provide guidance and protection. Then when things have settled down, the rangers move out to the next frontier.

Fallout New Vegas being a good albeit sci-fi example of this concept.

Still, aren't fantasy rangers protectors of woods? I doubt you can reconcile that with a frontier unless you have them be the enemy

>Koei's Sentai Warriors
Want.

>Still, aren't fantasy rangers protectors of woods? I doubt you can reconcile that with a frontier unless you have them be the enemy

Sometimes they're interpreted like that, but they usually protect people from the things which lurk IN the woods. D&D describes rangers like this:

>Far from the bustle of cities and towns, past the hedges that shelter the most distant farms from the terrors of the wild, amid the dense-packed trees of trackless forests and across wide and empty plains, rangers keep their unending watch.

>Though a ranger might make a living as a hunter, a guide, or a tracker, a ranger's true calling is to defend the outskirts of civilization from the ravages of monsters and humanoid hordes that press in from the wild. In some places, rangers gather in secretive orders or join forces with druidic circles. Many rangers, though, are independent almost to a fault, knowing that, when a dragon or a band of orcs attacks, a ranger might be the first—and possibly the last—line of defense.

This guy has it. I was thinking US pre/during French and Indian War. Same concept would even apply to privatized vs government space exploration.

frontierpartisans.com/
Random blog that may be helpful for OP's purposes.

>Still, aren't fantasy rangers protectors of woods? I doubt you can reconcile that with a frontier unless you have them be the enemy
D&D 3rd edition turned them into fighter-druids. In earlier editions of D&D they were frontier-themed fighters who could use weak magic from multiple spell lists, track effectively, deal extra damage to giants, and gain monsters as cohorts.

You have two sets of Rangers in Tolkien. The ones that currently protect and roam the shattered land of Anor in the North, a noble (by blood of Numenor) people reduced to rags and poverty, surviving off their own skills and living as hermit-woodsmen-rangers.

The other is the Rangers of Ithillien, those are a professional military force, led by the likes of Faramir. There are some with noble blood but many it is so diluted that it is there (lesser) skills that grant them a position.

Trying to build a setting somewhere close to what you describe
The mainland has been lost to orcs and overgrowth after a long story cataclysm meteor funtime
>How would one sustain a large organisation of Rangers committed to charting an expansive land and protecting it and the people from each other?
The remaining factions organize different mercenary companies and guilds to reclaim the 'green zone' by charting maps, clearing out baddies and setting up new communities on the fringe.
>>What are the different Orders, Schools or Groups they could have?
Ideology, some don't want to reclaim the green, others want to conquer it. Some are in it for the money. In case you meant as in subclasses, i just want regular classes that are centered around innawoods(i'm trying to create a system to facilitate it but it's still just concepts)
>What would their gods or religion be about?
Usual tropes, i wanted magic to be a lot more on the low side barring ritual magic(heavy on components and preparation) to avoid too many people teleporting around and making the innawoods and meshi cooking(food is borderline magic) sessions seem pointless.

Basically i want dungeon meshi forest ranger exploration tactics, centered around humanity trying to reclaim their lands while infighting etc.
I'm trying to come up with a very minimal system for fighting, skills, cooking, etc so i can play with anyone with only minor preparation on their and my side of things.

What about rangers in space?

As long as we pretend the movie doesn't exist.

I'm glad 4e turned them back into their original form. Has 5e swung them into fighter-druid mode again? I haven't run or played alongside a ranger in 5e yet.

5e seems to have rangers still more firmly in their hunter/tracker role. Some subclasses might change that up a bit, but as a whole they'd specialize in killing monsters

Nice. I'm entirely okay with that. 3.Rangers were awful.