So, WoTC has stated that there will be an unban on the Modern banlist update after PT RIX

So, WoTC has stated that there will be an unban on the Modern banlist update after PT RIX.

Any guesses on what that unban will be?

Pic for attention. I definitely don't actually see JtMS getting unbanned.

Modern: Bloodbraid Elf is unbanned.

Standard: Search for Azcanta is banned.

Legacy: No changes

Vintage: Sphere of Resistance is restricted.

Standard - Smuggler's Copter Unbanned
Modern - Stoneforge Mystic, Bloodbraid Elf unbanned
Legacy - Deathrite Shaman and Leovold Banned

Modern I'm hoping for gitaxian probe splinter twin and birthing pod
Standard aether works marvel

Huh, I didn't even realize Mental Misstep was banned in Modern. I remember how it grabbed Legacy by the balls, but does it really do that to Modern, too?

Agree on Twin and Marvel, but Pod and Probe can stay dead.

It would allow degenerate combo decks to answer turn 1 Thoughtseize.

The only way Misstep could POSSIBLY come back is if they banned Grapeshot, Ad Nauseum, Emmy, Gris, Valakut, AND every combo enabling creature ever.

SFM? The argument I always hear for her coming back is "muh turn 3 thought knots". Well that requires you to run Eldrazi Temple, which doesn't make sense if you don't build around Eldrazi
A 4 SFM+2 Batterskull package could (and would) be splashed into any fair deck that plays white sources.

why would SFA be unbanned? it's not even in the 2 top decks in the format

I'd love for SmugCop to be unbanned, my Jave's Flying Fuccbois deck needs it.

UB Control is a top 2 deck, and it owes its entire existence to SFA. It's also a HARD draw-go Control deck, something that WoTC doens't appreciate on camera.

>standard kiddies STILL bitching about control to this day

just because youre so shit you lose to it doesnt mean its broken, if anything deserves to get hit its fucking cancer energy and even thats tame

control is a staple of the game and if wizards tried to actively hurt it wizards would get massive shit

Before SfA came along, aggro was the way to play Standard. As it should be. Control is fucking cancer, and SfA is a parasite that leeches of Standard by allowing the bullshit known as control to exist.

Well that's fine to have a SFM deck, but what's so special about a 5/6 vigilence/lifelink on turn 4 that dies to both Push and Path?

>aggro was the way to play standard as it should be
>control is cancer
>this is what happens when you teach kids to play mtg

kinda sad these kiddos will never know the beauty that was innistrad-return to ravnica standard

You think Ramunap Red is aggressive? Don't make me laugh.

That's why Copy Cat needs to be unbanned too. Since there's a huge uptick of standard, they need the old

Aggro > Control > Combo > Aggro

>Standard should go back to Copycat plus the only deck fast enough to compete with it
kysmm

I mean Ramunap red is aggressive, but it plays more like sleigh with Ruins and hazoret being akin to cursed scroll.

>this card wasnt even IN the best aggro deck back when standard was good

oh member burning-tree emissary lightning mauler turn 2?
member huntmaster of fells?
OOOH member aristocrats?

I member ;~;

>aether works marvel
no way in fucking hell, Temur energy is already the top fucking deck without it
energy was a mistake

>legacy
>banned cards

Legacy: Deathrite Shaman is banned.

Energy is a big fat mess. Not that I'm bitchin about it but it was hard to adapt to when kaledesh dropped

member end of turn think twice?
member boros reckoner?
member rakdos cackler?

>tfw standard will never be good again

hell even the stagnant rtr-theros meta was more entertaining than current standard even if it was UW control vs mono U devotion vs mono B devotion with rabble red and GR monsters on the sidelines sneaking in a win here or there

Anytime Wizard tries to add some stupid "outside" mechanic that doesn't play MTG, it breaks.

Storm
Dredge
Energy
Affinity
Planeswalkers
Artifact Lands
Fetch Lands

Why is the powercreep so high now? That's probably why I like Ixalan. It's just a bunch of random tribal decks each with their own unique abilities smashing into each other.

I played BR aggro throughout rtr-ths standard and nobody felt safe against me. The only deck I couldn't really beat was mono U because it just so happened that I couldn't intimidate past 2 of their creatures, who had bodies really well sized against mine.

ixilans worthless outside of standard though and thats an issue, the BEST cards in the fucking set are reprints of older lands meaning it didnt even bring anything new to the table

powercreep is important because without printing cards that will see play in other formats, if you only play modern and legacy why the fuck would you bother with ixalan?
opt? which is again a reprint, same with spell pierce
I think only UG merfolk got things out of ixalan and its not even expensive

I played cleansing control and the only deck that ever gave me trouble was rabble red with a godhand

everything else was a verdict away from being worthless

I actually went from mono black over to mono blue (since before theros was spoiled I bought playsets nightveil specters and desecration demons since I was a newbie who thought they were so cool which was my entry ticket into actually getting competitive) and then after I got bored of those I sold everything in order to buy into the new hotness of elixir of immortality + planar cleansing control and I dominated for the entirety of the season till ravnica rotated out

can I get a source on that?

Unban Stoneforge Mystic, Jace the Mind Sculptor, and Bloodbraid Elf.

These are not really predictions, just cards I would want to be unbanned. I think the most realistic unban would be Bloodbraid Elf.

>retarded SFM faggot making another faggot thread

>Not even expensive

That's good. The whole reason to play nonrotating formats is precisely to NOT have to shell out a ton of money to keep up every time a new set comes out.

If you want to buy expensive cards when new sets come out, why aren't you just playing Standard?

Why is BBE banned on modern anyway?

>not even expensive
thats mostly cause UG merfolk isnt a very good deck in the first place

because cards should be expensive for a reason, chandra is a good example since she holds her value past rotation due to her play in legacy, meanwhile garbage azcanta is going to be expensive for standard and once it hits rotation time itll be near worthless

you really think scarab god is going to be $50+ after he rotates? nope, but if you want to have a good deck for standard he is a clear choice
basically standard is going to be expensive regardless, it just provides little pay off in the long run unless those cards are like the lands which hold their value

>there are people on Veeky Forums STILL bitching about energy

Just quit, you scrubs. Nobody would miss you at FNM, I guarantee it (if any of you actually have the balls to waddle outside your house).

because Jund with Deathrite Shaman was a dominant deck at the time and they incorrectly banned BBE before they realized Deathrite was the reason the deck was so powerful and banned DRS.

It would either make 1-mana spells nearly unplayable in the format or force every deck that isn't Eldrazis to play a playset just to combat opposing Mental Misstep's. WotC wants to avoid both scenarios.

The best aggro decks at the time weren't nearly as good in the format as Ramunap Red is currently. Back in INN-RTR every deck was four colored durdles featuring Thragtusk, and in RTR-THS there were exactly three decks, Mono Black, Mono Blue, and WU Control (with occasional showings of RG Devotion) of which only Mono Blue could be called an aggro deck.

all of those aggro decks were better in their metas than ramunap red is currently

right now its temur or bust

Obligatory.

Also is Smuggler's Copter too weak in Modern and I'm just being memed by goldfish, or is there legitimate power and synergy with this card?

It's an okay card. It gets randomly hosed by Kolaghan's Command and other Shatter type effects you see from time to time, but if you can consistently activate it then it might be worthwhile. Lingering Souls combines well with it as both discard fuel and creatures that can fly the thing.

Also compare SFM -> Batterskull to Gurmag Angler. Death's Shadow regularly can dump Gurmag into play around turn 3, sometimes faster. Nobody thinks that card should be banned.

Agree on Scarab, disagree on Azcanta. Azcanta has plenty of potential in nonrotating formats. People calling it garbage are the same people who said that about Collected Company back when it first started putting up results in Standard.

I might try out SFA in my Jeskai Control list this Sunday. It definetly has potential.

The germ produced by Batterskull dies to regular removal, but the Batterskull itself only dies to artifact removal. On top of that, Batterskull can bounce itself to regenerate its germ or to dodge removal.

SFM can be removed by just about anything. Then they’ve got a dead card in their hand until turn 5.

I guess so now thanks to Fatal Push, but SFM still provides card advantage just by dropping in, and she requires an answer before turn 3 rolls around. An "Open the Armory" on a slightly weaker body is pretty efficient.

Most likely BBE will be looked at for being unbanned, it ate an unfair ban because of cascade and Deathrite Shaman acceleration going turn 2 lili into turn 3 BBE. Right now as it is the card is competing at the cmc slots given that traditional Jund has fallen off the wayside. That being said WotC being WotC, they probably won't do it because they'll just look at Cascade and go "nope". SFM is somewhat reasonable to unban given the packload of removal, discard and artifact hate maindeck in many decks in this format.

I'm honestly hoping for GSZ to be unbanned too but I think that is not going to happen because X = 0 fetching Dryad Arbor makes WotC sad but I still have a playset ready just in case anyway. For hilarious reasons I hope they unban Glimpse of Nature and Skullclamp.

I think its time for big jace to come back.

Unless storm and eldrazi gets some bans, JTMS isn't broken.

Give me one reason why Jitte is banned, and has never been tested in Modern.

Plenty of decks in this format can reasonably answer a turn 3 Batterskull in hand or on field in some way as well as the mystic in the maindeck slots. Most decks won't ever play more than 1 Batterskull and would fill in the tutor slots with the Swords of X and Y since Jitte is banned(and should stay banned). The thing about Modern is straight up card advantage is not that strong in the format compared to efficiency and tempo plays, it's why cards like Ancestral Vision being unbanned has had very little impact on the format. Modern is the format of discard and removal compared to Legacy being the format of counterspells and cantrips.

It's a legacy staple and it dominated standard, so it's reasonable to believe it's powerful enough to warp the format

Two non-arguments.

If you hit with jitte once you pretty much win all combat in modern you get 2 charges which an be spent on the following:
>+2/+2 oh your next swing
>-1/-1 removal
>2 life (actually matters vs burn)

It doesn't seem all that good at first considering it costs 2 and equips for 2, but there are many, many ways to cheat that.

1) Too efficient cost for an equipment that when resolved early practically wins all combat steps. For example a 1/1 First Strike creature with Jitte can single handedly beat a non-first striking 3/3 creature after first strike damage step.

2) The counters remain on the Jitte itself and can still be activated regardless of being equipped to a creature or not. Whoever resolves the first Jitte and gets counters on it generally wins especially if it is a mirror match.

They're not arguments, they're reasons.

We can argue all we want on how we wan't to see the format, but what we think and what wizards thinks is 2 very different things.

Jitte being unbanned would be even worse considering the change to the Legendary rule. Now you can't even cancel an opposing Jitte with playing your own.

As will probably be said before I get this posted.

After your first hit with jitte you get
+4/+4 on the equipped creature
or
-2/-2 removal
or
4 Life

And the way its worded, first strike and double strike simply break it, a creature equipped with it and has double strike will do +4 on the first combat and +8 on the next turn, thats not counting its own power.

>2 mana
>2 to equip
>not just that, but it does stone nothing without a combat step
Let's not talk about the absolute blowout if the creature gets Pushed.

You're all basing your "reasons" on older formats which isn't always telling of a cards strength or standard for fucks sake.

Tell me right now that Valakut hitting me for 18 on turn 4 is fair, but fucking Jitte is too strong in a format without SFM.

Yeah and after I resolve and attack with Emerakul I get a ton of things too. All not an argument.

>Tell me right now that Valakut hitting me for 18 on turn 4 is fair, but fucking Jitte is too strong in a format without SFM.
Jitte is for grindy creature matchups, not combo. This is like saying that Jitte is bad in legacy because Storm can Tendrils for 20 on turn 2, when Jitte is clearly very strong in Legacy.

>Jitte is for grindy creature matchups
name one in modern

i''ll wait

>any Company deck
>Merfolk
>any Eldrazi deck
>Elves
>any DnT/hatebears variant
All these decks would run 1-3 copies unconditionally, and even the midrange decks like GDS and Junk might try to run a few in the 75.

Also, you have to understand that Jitte is not a card that's broken because it makes on strategy to good, it's broken because it's so powerful that a huge number of decks all have to run it. Like Mental Misstep.

>You're all basing your "reasons" on older formats which isn't always telling of a cards strength or standard for fucks sake.

Any deck playing Jitte is going to be playing like 16-20+ creatures or able to make that much. You can't Fatal Push all of them, you only got 4x max. Also the first deck that would play 4x Jitte is straight up tokens or any decks playing DnT decks Thalia's. Even without SFM the chance of drawing Jitte is still reasonably high with 4x copies in a deck. Lingering Souls with a Jitte attached is going to make you feel bad for Fatal Pushing 1/4th of a card.

>You're all basing your "reasons" on older formats which isn't always telling of a cards strength or standard for fucks sake.

No i'm basing it on how fucking strong the card is as is right now. You need to do very little with Jitte and it comes out reasonably fucking fast at 2 mana. 2 mana to equip is fuck all in the format.

>Tell me right now that Valakut hitting me for 18 on turn 4 is fair, but fucking Jitte is too strong in a format without SFM.

Jitte is for the decks playing abundant creatures that want to grind it out. Nobody is going to play Jitte in combo decks. Decks like DnT/Eldrazi and Taxes/Merfolk/Elves/Abzan CoCo/Bant CoCo/Knightfall would all play Jitte in a heartbeat. Fuck even Burn might even side the card in Modern if it was legal.

>RTR-THS Rakdos Aggro
>not the best
Shit won a GP. Granted, it tapered off when Born of the Gods and Journey Into Nyx came out.

>Any guesses on what that unban will be?

Sensei's Divining Top

>not just that, but it does stone nothing without a combat step

Sure but once it DOES actually connect then you win all future combat steps unless you can get rid of the Jitte itself. Even if you do it's killing off something of yours or gaining a bunch of life to repad itself.

Yeah and I sometimes deal that much damage or more with Lightning Storm/Conflag in AN, or that much in Elves with multiple SOTP triggers and/or Ezuri Overrun. Hell sometimes maybe I will just deal that much damage in Burn within the same number of turns. If Valakut decks are something you hate why not either play a deck with a better matchup or just pack hate for it in your sideboard. Welcome to modern where it rewards those who learn to have efficient sideboarding for the diverse metagame and those who know and can pilot their decks well?

>Modern: Bloodbraid Elf or birthing pod

no

Fuck DRS I don't play Legacy just so you fags can drag the game past turn 2.

>RTR-THS standard
>good
He was talking about INN-RTR standard with Naya Zoo

>That's good. The whole reason to play nonrotating formats is precisely to NOT have to shell out a ton of money to keep up every time a new set comes out.

Pic related. And then when key parts of the deck rotate its entire value drops to bulk and you have to restart. People like you are dumb as fuck if you really think standard is cheaper. It might be cheaper if you only play sub $50 budget decks. If you actually want to compete in the meta it's still not 'cheap.' Modern/Legacy is the most economically sound way to play MTG. It's also funner to play with stronger cards. Fight me if you disagree.

Never understood why people even paid for the full powered Standard constructed meta decks unless they were getting even more back via wins or prestige or were flipping/speculating/loaning.

Like, if you're just going to build the strongest deck you can, and then play at the local shop with it, Standard is the dumbest waste of money in the game. I learned this over 15 years ago as a retarded teenager.

I don't even play 4c delver. Can't legacy just stay the format where you can play broken shit without you faggots calling for bans 24/7? If you want a format where nothing broken is allowed and the retards constantly call for bans then just play Modern. DRS has a home in a single format. Just let it be.

What deck do you play so we can ban the shit out of its centerpiece

>Garbage Azcanta

LOL. Smooths out your draws on the front side, then flips into a land with a repeatable impulse effect. Filtering, ramp, and repeatable pseudo-tutoring all in one 2-mana package. This isn't some shitty Standard shut-in like Scarab God or Glorybringer. Rather, it's a card that will see massive amounts of play in Modern, and perhaps even beyond that, for years to come. Prove me wrong, bro.

Clearly you have never played Modern before.

Here's an appropriate parallel for Azcanta: Pack Rat. Both are 2-mana snowball effects that don't do anything the turn they hit the board but become more problematic as the game goes on. Since Modern games don't last more than 4 turns, cards like this just aren't viable.

probably the single most oppressive card in mtg you fucking noob...

>Since Modern games don't last more than 4 turns, cards like this just aren't viable.
Yes, just like Legacy games all end on turn 2, and slow durdly cards like Jace, the Mind Sculptor are unplayable.

>needs a beatstick to go on
>needs to turn sideways
>oppressive

Nigga there's shit in this game that will rip shit out of your hand turn 1 before you can do shit, and then end the game on that same turn, and you think jitte is the most oppressive card? When cards that literally prevent you from doing ANYTHING exist?

>Rather, it's a card that will see massive amounts of play in Modern

lol

Best way to play if it's about money is pauper, a modern deck can make 10 pauper decks, if not more.

im guessing you dont play mtg much... ill rephrase so youre limited intelligence can understand the point being made... its absolutely the most oppressive modern legal card, and would totally destroy the format by being mandatory in all creature based decks which occupy a huge percentage of the format.

Not him but there's an argument to be made for DRS on the chopping block(personally I think it should be Leovold) because they're literally reaching the numbers of Miracles did prebanning of SDT.

>mfw mot sure if serious or not
>mfw ...
>mfw youre
>mfw I have no face

DRS is just in every deck and Leovold is an automatic 2 for 1 definitely arguments to be made for both.

>Azcanta discussion

I'm actually testing Search for Azcanta in Ad Nauseam right now alongside Strategic Planning to fuel the yard. The main reason to test it? It can accelerate me a turn of mana when flipped which may be just enough for the combo. If against a slower matchup I can Impulse for my wincon faster. Not entirely sure if it will actually make the deck better or allow it another line but I will see where it goes from here.

>single most oppressive card in mtg
>in mtg
>its absolutely the most oppressive modern legal card
>modern legal
>in mtg

Didn't know M:tG was just Modern.

>automatic 2 for 1 definitely arguments to be made for both.

You mean an automatic +1.

Yeah, hell I was even playing Leovold in my Legacy Elves deck for a while just because I can GSZ it or just hardcast him.

yea man cards stupid even as 2 of you just know if it drops your gonna get a free card at some point.

2 for 1 is a generic/slang statement for going up a card on your opponent.

I mean at worst it's a 1 for 1 if it gets countered. Once it's in play and if/when it eats a removal you've just drawn a card as a result and also taken one less removal spell out of their hand. So technical 2 for 1?

THAT'S NOT HOW MATH WORKS

sure it is. Youve played Leovold (one card), drawn eated a removal spell and drawn a fresh card(two cards). You need to work on your math skills.

eaten a removal spell and drawn a fresh card (two cards).*

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my math class in high school.