PSA

>Go to conventions to play some Veeky Forums games and get some gaming accessories
>Everyone is unwashed and smells bad
>Everyone in goofy, dirty t-shits, jeans, and ratty sneakers from years ago

>Go to local comic shop for some games
>Same shit

I'm not even making fun of the omnipresent obesity; something some people can't help, but bathing, shaving, and wearing nice clothes in public? It takes five minutes.

you put any number of people in a crowded space for periods of time like the usual game shop and it ends up like that.

Can relate.
>I'm attractive, fit, charismatic and take care of myself

>Pick up MTG in HS
>Get really into it; have like 4 decks
>Go to LGS to actually play
>Everyone's disgusting and awkward
>Try to have fun but the stench is horrific
>Try to have fun but the guy next to me is smelling up the room with mcdonalds
>Try to have fun but someone is telling me why Jace is the best (without me asking)
>Eventually I just can't go anymore
>Stopped playing

>Now I play Warhammer like an adult
>Just got my SM army to about 2500 points
>Go to different LGS in different city
>Meeting friend so hopes are high
>Me and friend are hounded by smelly overweight spectators
>Autistic man in his forties is explaining to me why LINK is the actual BAD GUY (holy shit)
>Dirty looks from across the room cause I can hold a conversation about geeky stuff but still look like a douchebag
>Slowly starting to not play Warhammer either

Should I just give up Veeky Forums? Why can't you degenerates bathe and dress nice when you go outside? Are my standards too high or is a room full of man-children just a local thing for my LGSs?

I want to play these games Veeky Forums, but the community makes it impossible for me. The only thing I play regularly is Pathfinder and that's because I can actually play that at home with friends.

Why the fuck do you try to hang out with strangers at LGS’s?
Seriously, in 90% of the activities you could partake in voluntarily in life, around roughly 90% of the people involved in them will be pretty goddamn annoying, and Veeky Forums stuff is no exception.

Bullshit.
Fresh sweat (whether from workout, heat, or naturally sweating more than an average person) smells very different from rancid sweat of some shit that can't be arsed to take a shower for 3 days.

I've seen some shit.

>be me with friend in a Charlotte game convention
>playing a one-off campaign as my Half-Orc Fighter
>one dude in the party super deep into roleplaying a slutty female Half-Elf Rogue
>his breath is the most atrocious smell I've ever smelled and I'm a good ol' country boy who grew up shoveling shit on my uncle's farm
>Pikachu hat
>not a baseball cap--like Pikachu's literal head and he's peeking out from under the mouth
>his character is trying to seduce mine, fuck him in a tavern, and rob him while he's still asleep from fucking
>gets right up in my ear to whisper-flirt
>I'm old school Southern, so I have a cultural intolerance of fags coupled with his horrid hygiene
(I'm trying to get better--One of my best friends came out a few years ago and I've been accepting)
>Not sure if he was actually gay anyways
>Tell him to stop OOC several times
>table is awkward--they're seeing how long I can hold out
>Thought I felt the dude actually lick my ear
>Basically threw up in my mouth, got up abruptly, yelled at him to quit
>Haha don't be such a prude I'm just playing
>I become the bad guy, I become THAT guy, make a huge scene, buddy has to take me away

Haven't played outside my group since, but I think Atlanta is having a Con soon

I come to Veeky Forums to see people who don't even have any friends to play games with be judgemental about other people having fun.

If jeans, a t-shirt, and sneakers are good enough for the Ramones, they're good enough for you. You don't have to dress like an old man to be presentable, Veeky Forums.

Gonna be 100% honest.

For the last 10-years I have been super self-conscious about my smell and personal appearance. I never wanted to be the smelly greasy neckbeard in the game store. But I am in grad school and studying 12-hours a day. The few minutes I get out to the game store to stress purchase my depression away, I may not be clean or washed from that day. It's a mix of sadness and no time.

Sorry

If your T-shirt has stains, tears that show your skin, or cringe shit like Pokémon on it-- that's the problem

You won't smell by skipping one day. OP is talking about that dour, wet, sharp pungent smell of an unwashed human.

There's other normal guys out there to play games with, you just have to find them. Being selective of who you play with is a must.

The dream is to find like minded normal guys and start your own gaming group, quality > quantity is a thing.

It's Veeky Forums we know that that shit's thatguy material.

Sure some of us become him but I'd argue we aspire to be thisguy especially as the behavior you complain about is so hated here.

Fuck, I don't even play tabletop games because I can't get people I know into them and because of experiences like yours at my LGSs.

>human
>neckbeard

Pick one and only one

This, the smell of an unwashed neckbeard is even worse than an unwashed human.
It must be their diet or something.

>Lo, the neckbeard cometh
>With him is the stench of a thousand showerless days
>The rancid stink of doritos and spit ooze from his horrible maw
>The creature's horrible, sweaty musk mixes with the smell of tendie crumbs caught within the numerous folds of its bloated flesh

What the fuck is it with this hobby and attracting people like this?

It requires less social skill to get into and there's less social pressure put on being a part of it (though there's still gate-keeping and other such).

I wear non-goofy, clean t-shirts, but on casual outings I do wear jeans and my ratty sneakers if I don't feel like messing up my nice new ones. I'm also hygienic and smell good. Is it the jeans and old sneakers you're taking offense to, or is it the whole package/other things?

I never want to wear my new sneakers because I don't want to crease them while driving.

I've played with people who are unkempt but washed and with people who take care of themselves but look lie total dweebs.
Never had the displeasure of playing with a basement dweller that didn't wash.
Well, most people where I live don't have basements.

Literally today at the local GW.

>autist with a tophat/fedora lookin thing, button up shirt with terrible blue and black flame designs, fat, smelly, etc
>constantly talking about /v/, /k/, etc
>in real life
>tried to bring up gamergate
>IN REAL LIFE
>models are painted like garbage too and he complains about being a poor fag

I can handle the fat, the fashion, the social awkwardness. That doesn't bother me so much. The smell is annoying, but COULD be tolerable.

It's the behavior. How the fuck are people this obviously retarded? I hope he browses Veeky Forums too and sees this. Adam, please bro, fix it.

>flame-patterned black button up

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>The smell is annoying, but COULD be tolerable.

See this is what cinches me more than anything else you said (though talking about Veeky Forums irl is also a huge red flag).

Being a smelly fuck implies a level of not giving shit which is absolutely inexcusable in a civilized society. Unless you're literally a retard you should know the basic causation between not bathing and having an offensive odor. No one wants to deal with your stank. If you're going out around people, then take a shower and brush your fucking teeth. If you don't, then you have no sympathy from me when someone finally has enough, drags you outside, and hoses you down like the pig you are.

A lot of times they don't realize how bad they smell.

Not an excuse. Even if you can't smell your own stank you should be smart enough to know marinating in your sweat isn't doing other people any favors.

I've met people who claimed after going an extended time without bathing they actually develop rashes. Like what the fuck.

>gross neckbeards everywhere
I always wonder if this is a meme or not.

Yeah, none of the LGSes I've been to are going to win any fashion awards but people are at least clean. Maybe 10% of people are actually fat. There's no smell unless there's tons of people there for 4+ hours in the middle of summer

Man I just feel fucking gross if I don't shower every day. I'm not overweight and I don't even sweat much thanks to regular application of chemical pads. Some days I get two showers because the tiniest layer of grime acquired from skin oils and airborne particles is enough that I can feel it.

Clean skin feels good. How can these odiferous lardballs not be bothered by all the filth coating them? Does the fat just deaden their sensitivity?

I was homeschooled and spent my time basically 24/7 indoors with my siblings, and we'd spend a lot of our free time just playing our shitty Yu-Gi-Oh decks over and over again. We showered maybe once a week at most and never felt gross about it. It took a lot of effort to be conscious of our filth. These people at these groups may have had similar backgrounds.

Funny, I was homeschooled too and I also barely showered. It really does wonders when you havev literally zero social interaction outside of your own household.

>shaving
>5 minutes
t. thin hair

So reading this thread makes me uncomfortable.

Not because of the stories, but because I might be part of the problem and I don't know if I can do anything about it.

I have long showers and keep basic hygiene (deodorant for long days, wash hands whenever on public etc)

However I always feel dirty after being in a busy area. I have been told that I have strong body odor straight after taking a shower and since I've always been conscious about it.

Thinking of going back to mtg after a long hiatus but I don't wanna be that guy.

I love nerd shit

I hate nerds

Pretty much everything Veeky Forums related is objectively better played with normal people you get into it.

>I'm trying to get better--One of my best friends came out a few years ago and I've been accepting

You fool, falling for the lies of Satan. Disappointed, user.

Driving flip-flops.

You've gone too far the other way, user.

doubt

Pretending not to be that repulsive failed attempt at being a human being for a few hours is easier than actually getting your life together.

>I never want to wear my new sneakers because I don't want to crease them while driving.

You are prancing la-la homo man

Change up your soap, change up your deodorant. I use dove bars and old spice. Try different things and don't be afraid to ask your friends. Consider that you might be washing ineffectively. If all else fails, get a loofah and go to town on any area skin touches skin. Never be without deodorant.

You know it's copypasta, right ?

i wish to know where you live where you dont have to deal with shit people in all your other hobbies. i need to be there.

This. What the fuck is people's problem with shirts with stuff on them?

i know right? like yeah smell is unacceptable and even the lack of social boundaries is pretty annoying but cmon how big of a tool do you have to be to have an issue with ugly shirts.

Nah, I've just got a bit of Italian ancestry causing my skin to produce a lot of oil.

>The dubdubstrippydippy
Checked

I'm a literal neckbeard but it's okay because I'm a minority so rather than looking pathetic I look like I could blow myself up at any given moment and I don't even understand how so many of them can just smell so bad. I haven't experienced it myself yet but given what I see other people say about it... how? Do they not shower daily or something? I'm not saying you should use fancy perfumes or something, just a shower and deodorant should get the job done, right? Or are these landwhales so heavy that they start profusely sweating the moment they waggle out of the shower? Or maybe there's some filth between their 5th and 6th chin that they just can't wash out themselves?

I guess I do now. Must have been such a bad pasta that it never left an impression on me.

>Or are these landwhales so heavy that they start profusely sweating the moment they waggle out of the shower? Or maybe there's some filth between their 5th and 6th chin that they just can't wash out themselves?

Those are the ham planet status disgraces to the species. They do exist. I have seen them. I have smelt them. I would say kill it with fire but they would burn for a month.

These are the same fuckers who sponge off of the state claiming that they can't work on medical grounds. Those medical grounds being "enough mass to have a Roche Limit", a condition that they blame on genetics. Because pies are genetic and allow people to break the conservation of matter.

To play the devil's advocate, most of the fridge is filled with diet soda.

I'm overweight. I take a shower every evening. What's a deodorant?

Diet soda makes you fatter, because the chemicals that replace the sugars in them still stimulate fat productions, but you body literally can't USE the fat made from that shit - there's no energy to burn in it.

Diet soda literally makes you MORE FAT.

I literally own only one pair of shoes.
I'm not poor either, i just don't see the need for more than one pair of shoes at any given time

A pair of shoes is fine as long as you change your socks. And insoles, occasionally.

One thing I noticed at conventions was not just obesity, but quite the collection of unconventional obesity.

People who are average american fat from the waist up and turbo-morbid-obese from the waist down. Or the reverse, somehow.

Or people who are fat ONLY on the front.

Play RPGs. That way you only need like 4-5 people, and can find friends who shower to play with, instead of going to those public games.

Ive also noticed a lot of ex-military fat; dudes built like refrigerators with a chest that sticks out as much as their gut.

Presumably there are muscles under the fat, but these people are definitely unhealthy. Apparently that's what happens when you get accustomed to the physical exertion of deployment and guzzling mountain dew nonstop, then continue the guzzling when deployment ends.

Consider if there's something wrong with your diet.

Do you neat nothing but processed food? Lots of onions? Lots of garlic? Grease? Salt?

this, t b h

It's not washing clothes even more than it is not showering. When the sweat gets absorbed by cloth, it takes a while for the bacteria to begin to grow. That's when it starts to smell like literal faeces.

Gods, that sounds absolutely terrifying.

You should have been more controlled and more personally intimidating. Fuck relying on the group; they won't do shit in such a mixed social setting.

Though I guess maybe you just react differently to anger than I do, plus he was hitting your cultural honor buttons and getting you wound up.

I tend to get very clenched, very cold, and very deliberate. I still do stupid shit, though.

After the tongue thing, I'd have grabbed him by the jaw, looked him in the eyes, said "you will stop that. Now." then let go.

>I want to play these games Veeky Forums, but the community makes it impossible for me.

Take your self pity and go fuck.

Not sure if edgelord or legit intimidating. Do people call you "psycho" often?

Or, you know, pull your chair back and away from the fat fuck.

Btw southern dude, it's not homophobic to reject unwanted approaches/harassment.

I personally drink fruit flavored water as a substitute for soda. I used to drink 4-5 cans a day. The point is, there can be better alternatives then diet soda.

>ratty sneakers from years ago

As someone who doesn't replace shoes until they're falling apart and going any further would leave thorns and rocks in my heels for reasons of "what the hell why do shoes cost so much I just need one pair are these people fleecing me," they're probably cheapskates, like my family has always been.

In other news, people who have problems with their attention span (or who just can't take being bored for too long for whatever reason, like "going too long without being amused means the constant thoughts of existential dread and suicide come back and it's all you can do to keep yourself distracted") have a tendency to be bad at organization and maintenance. Maintenance is boring and doesn't distract you from your horrible self-loathing. In fact, acting to clean up what's "wrong" with you only makes you hate yoursel more if you're already in that state, and being thrown out of social events for smelling to high heaven does the same, so there's really no escape.

Basically, every time I see people like that, they've got some problem that I have but anywhere from ten to one hundred times worse. This has made it easier for me to sympathize. I just see poor bastards who went wrong the same ways I did but somehow broke the scale.

Also, I'm starting to believe my nose is basically dead. Nothing short of a corpse so much as registers anymore.

Anyway, there's the blog-answer. Feel free to come here and laugh at me, or pity me, or just whatever.

Don't let fags sexually harrass/assault you for some reason there are some that think they're allowed to do that

Once or twice, but its better than being baited into shouting or screaming

the only winning move with people who exploit the social contract is not to play

I get what he means. The type of southern homophobia he's talking about isn't necessarily about hating gay men for being gay (but it results in that), its about insecurity and the fear that male affection might be tainted by a "fag" being around. That whole locker-room ass-slapping "no homo" thing.

its the implicit threat against your own manhood. Even after you get over it, you'd still be left with a knee-jerk reaction to "gay" stuff happening TO you, since it registers as an attack against your social standing. I'm not from the south and I don't have those reactions, but I know the theory behind it, and he deserves credit for self-awareness and effort.

I think more likely he was a post-shame loser who enjoyed fucking with people by doing gross shit. Like a pig who enjoys mud-wrestling.

>After the tongue thing, I'd have grabbed him by the jaw, looked him in the eyes, said "you will stop that. Now." then let go.

Tg is full of gullible idiots.

Jesus, I'm a 5'3" manlet and I can be more intimidating than that edgelord nonsense. The trick is to just appear unaffected, lock eye contact, and clearly annunciate every syllable. You never have to touch anyone, just make the entire room tense.

Also, how the flying fuck do you grab someone's tongue mid sentence? This isn't fucking Tom and Jerry.

Point taken, but I stand by my principle that stonefaced glares and deadpan instructions are better than emotional outbursts if using words like an adult isn't on the table.

>charismatic
>goes into Veeky Forums insulting people

You sure?

>Apparently that's what happens when you get accustomed to the physical exertion of deployment and guzzling mountain dew nonstop, then continue the guzzling when deployment ends.
It has more to do with the fact that you're literally forced to work out in some way every morning and a lot of dudes eat like shit, but hey, they're at least running every day. Then they get out and keep the eating habits but lose the PT habits.

>local shop keep had a gaming room down a hallway
>he put a row of motion-activated air fresheners down the hallway to spray the daily neckbeards as they walked past

also
>he would run a small local convention once a month to encourage sales
>walk into the hired function room
>instantly hit by a wall of nerd-stench

last but not least, the gold standard of derelict human garbage as I have experienced it
>that guy
>obese, greasy emo fringe
>never showers, never wears deoderant, never wipes his ass properly
>smells of actual shit and body odour
>he can be smelled the moment you enter the same room as him
>has left actual shit stains on the bathroom wall at a friends house (where he is now banned from)
>have had to wind the window down if was ever in the car with him, having almost vomited more than once
the odd part about this is that he has somehow managed to get himself into an pansexual open relationship with about 3-4 people, granted that they were also pretty derelict, though not as much as he.

have to agree
I simply hate nerds and nerd culture

>those digits

Consider what and said. Your body chemistry may also be having a reaction to what you are using. For example: I reek when I use musk bases cologne; I don't know why. I have to stick to vanilla based. Also cheap stuff can react badly as well. Spring for something in the hundred dollar range.

Source: my own goddamn trial and error. Please learn from my mistakes concerned-user.

While I don't think I'm obliged to dress to please you, I'm 100% with you on the hygiene.

The real problem is teenage boys. They smell horrible because their hormones are in overdrive. They need to bathe 3 times a day but they tend not to bathe more than once every 3 days. It's awful.

pic related

But yes, if you want to be around people who can socialize, play tabletop RPGs. War games and card games attract the least capable human beings. Boardgames are a mixed bag; if you have a board game bar that should be OK. Everything else is probably trouble.

>obesity; something some people can't help
Fuck off, obesity is absolutely preventable, it is absolutely treatable, they just need a modicum of self-awareness and self-control. Not eating like a pig is even less effort than washing daily.

>obesity is absolutely preventable, it is absolutely treatable
Well, that's certainly true, but
>they just need a modicum of self-awareness and self-control.
Isn't, really. Recovering alcoholics tend to stop drinking altogether, because they can never just drink responsibly.

Thanks for advice anons. Unfortunately atm I am on a tight budget having just moved and on low income but once I'm properly settled and can manage income better I'll see what I can do about the things mentioned. For now I guess I'll just spend less time doing nothing in the shower and more time scrubbing.

Just because there's a game going on doesn't mean it isn't actual sexual harassment.

Report him to the police next time.

I've been playing RPGs since I was 12 but never got into MTG, Warhammer, or any other LGS type games.

I've visited them with friends a few times because they do play those games, and every time I'm there just feel uncomfortable breathing the same air as some of the people there and can never hang around for more than 45 minutes or so.

I know I'm being a little dramatic about it, but it really does just make we want to disassociate myself with the community as a whole because of how cringey and disgusting some of these people are on both the inside and outside.

It's also really surprising to me too because most all of the people I've played D&D and other RPGs with over the years have been pretty normal guys who just have an interest in board games like Catan and stuff, along with D&D. I'm probably the most "obsessive" of our groups because I'm the one who runs games and browses Veeky Forums, but even I am a pretty normal relatively in-shape guy with a job in software, a girlfriend, shower, and an adult wardrobe.

So obviously there are plenty of "normal people" in the hobby, is it just that the LGS is where the more "weird" people go? Is it because that's their only route to find people to play with or is it more specific to the hobbies themselves (warhammer, magic, etc)?

Diet soda drinking is what makes fat people fat.

My LGS for MTG has the following players:
>me and buddy from highschool, we look like normalfags who play sports. Get a lot of dirty looks.
>obese friend from HS who spouts his opinions and memes like a living Veeky Forums
>guy who plays only control and sniffs his own farts, gets extremely salty whenever he loses
>unwashed neckbeard with no idea how social cues work, sometimes brings his wife.
>autistic kid whos name I dont know, we call him Kamigawa
>waifu playmat kid
>2 hippy stoner guys that are pretty laid back to talk to
>beard man and his girlfriend
>burn player who looks like one punch man
>deaf Asian guy you have to yell at to communicate with
>girl who apparently was raped as a kid who shouts inappropriate stuff out all the time. I would like to donkey punch her
>girl who doesnt know how to play and uses her boyfriends decks
>"metal head" who wears chains and sleeveless shirts n shit... but he has curly blonde hair and glasses and looks like my dad
>some aussie that makes everyone uncomfterable with his loudness

All in all only one smelly mcautistic butt

this image always triggers me; mods literally are evil tyrannical assholes; thats why they become mods in the first place

Sneakers look better when beat up though.

I can't deny this.

But at least I'll look good prancing in my awesome kicks!

You can be his friend without accepting his degeneracy.

>>burn player who looks like one punch man

"Fireball for 20."

Or the smell that comes from unwashed jeans that have been farted and sweated in for months and smells like swamp ass.

I don't care if you've got $200 levis that aren't meant to be washed. If you weigh over 200lb, you aren't likely to be rocking any Veeky Forums trends anyway.

Guys, it's stale pasta. You were bamboozled

There are at least 6 boobs in that gif and no females.

You know that taking showers is not healthy right?
The correct is to take a shower more or less every 5 days, no less

Medieval peasant pls go

t. broscience major

k, just don't come into the store like that

You are disgusting.

It's not just game stores.

> Go to small liberal arts school
> Good education, but they lowered standards for enrollment a couple years after I got in and started letting in weirdos
> After 2 years of letting in anyone, pretty much everyone in the Magic: the Gathering club is a basket case who smells like shit
> One we call Taco Man smells the worst
> Taco Man looks like a 12 year old boy, but smells like a scrotum after six weeks in the Serengeti
> Wears a heavy winter coat even in late summer/spring, so he's constantly coated with a thin layer of sweat
> His language skills basically aren't there, so every word he speaks is scrambled in some way, like a bad stutter
> Comes out as "I'va have sweaty -isorder"
> Between that, his screeching voice and his horrific odor, he's offensive to 4 of my 5 senses, all 5 if you count the fact that you can occasionally "taste" a strong odor
> But Taco Man has taken a shine to me
> I'm a mentor, a paragon even, because I'm the one guy on campus who successfully ran a 4E D&D campaign
> Starts bringing me his "campaign notes"
> Notes are written with the handwriting of a large child, and they're fucking awful
> For example, he has a riddle, with "clues" such as "eth, fira, wata," where the answer was "the circle of life and death"

> He asks me why no one wants to play with him in the 4th edition D&D game he's DMing
> pic related
> Try to be nice and give him concrete things he can do to boost enrollment
> Tell him to study the core rulebooks and really master the rules before he tries to DM
> Tell him to visit a speech pathologist and to bathe more often
> Tells me he has a sweat disorder (?)
> "End I'va speech arptholdaigst, and she tells me centra brain scrambled that process language."
> Well there's not much I can do about that
> Taco Man starts talking to me about how much better 4E is than 3.5
> Suggest we talk about something else
> Taco Man doesn't get the hint

Oh there are reasons OP..

>Be me
>join Uni Game Club
>smelly masses in nerd shirts appear out of the woodwork, the way only memes and confirmed stereotypes can

I am convinced its the yeast/mold from their fat rolls and an overabundance of energy drinks, oily snacks, vape smoke, and japanese sodas as well as RPGs attracting the autismic who just dont bathe.

It always horrifies me.

Your skin creates oils that are healthy and should not be destroyed