Competitive Modern General

Underused cards edition

What are some cards you think are underused in Modern right now?

Playing?
Hating?
Meta?
Building?

>RESOURCES:
>Comprehensive Rules
>media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/resources/rules/MagicCompRules_21031101.pdf

>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern

>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Anyone tried replacing banana man with Soulflayer for the memes? Can it do anything fun?

Green eldrazi tron.

I got sick of doing nothing for 5 turns if I didn't get a creature. So ancient stirrings helped a lot. And turn 3 world breakers are much better than reality smashers

>What are some cards you think are underused in Modern right now?

Desecration Demon.

You'd have to really build around it.
Lots of discard, lots of (probably unplayable) creature cards chock full of keywords.
Not worth it.

Is it worth playing and buying mtgo?

Depends if you have an active local scene or not.

Not when Xmage exists not

if youre good you can make money on it so yes

Wait for magic arena

this is the modern thread budddy

>standard

do any of you actually think search for azcanta is usable in modern?
I wanna know how serious modern gen is about mtg

Flip jace got played for a bit and Rhino was king for awhile, so it might.

Playing B Vamps.
Hating UW control.
There's a lot of net decking in my meta, so basically every deck that's placed at a PT.
Building Eldrazi Tron since pieces can be hard to get hold of and I trade for fun.

It'll have modern eventually, just standard for the release.

How bad will it be if I try to brew up some UWB Thoptersword Stockpile deck with a bunch of aggro artifacts and Tidehollow Scullers? If I play 4 Ravagers, 3 Stockpiles and 4 Thopter I'll have a ton of sac outlets to sac Tidehollow to in response to etb. Throw in some Overseers and 3 Tezzerets and we've got a shittier affinity. Some Skirges and Signals round out my creature base and I can play Dispatch, Thoughtseize and Inquisition as interaction

After testing it quite a bit myself, it's certainly a powerful card if you enable it properly, but it's not a huge game changer. Just another "win-con" option for control that has upsides and downsides.

Delete your last post.
Also, replacing Stockpile with Bitterblossom would probably be better.

Oops, didn't even see that. Dipping in and out of wifi so posting is kinda shitty. The reason I'm interested in Stockpile is that it makes artifact tokens and is also a sac outlet for Tidehollow, Bitterblossom tokens don't get boosted by Overseer and can't be sacced to Arcbound.

Are there any cards with worthwhile effects that include sacrificing one of your own creatures? Like Bone Splinters, but preferably not completely outmoded by better cards.

Just use the gatherer or scryfall and look up cards that say "as an additional cost to cast".
There's actually quite a lot of cards like that, none are really played though.

Look up Orzhov/Mardu Aristocrats.

I also saw some memey Butcher of the Horde/Pyro/Mentor lists running around with Lingering Souls and Crack the Earth, seemed cool.

Anyone watching SCG?

Wow how is anyone going to be able to beat the new 5 color death shadow?!

Which is the cheapest way to protect my green fat hydras from blue faggotry removal?

Vines of Vastwood/Blossoming Defense or give them a taste of their own medicine.
This is a terrible idea do not do it.

underused cards or cards that I don't see in Modern for some reason
>Elder Deep Fiend
>Smuggler's Copter
>Shrine of Burning Rage
>Fevered Visions
>Lone Rider
>Dispatch
>Madcap Experiment
>Blessed Alliance
>"Hunted" creatures

Shrine sees play in burn, Blessed Alliance gets put in some white sideboards. I'd love to hear your reasons for giving your opponent more draw or paying 4 mana to burn yourself for a random artifact instead of just playing Ancient Stirrings or Glint-Nest Crane.

>new
Please.

I already have those (along with some gaea's revenge) but I want a way to protect my other hydras.

I was thinking about using either vines of vastwood or autumn's veil.

I've seen Shrine recently, but I don't know if it has caught on over Eidolon.
Blessed Alliance seems super helpful against Aggro or Death's Shadow.
Madcap Experiment has potential if one is playing Platinum Emperions as their only artifacts, since Platinum Emperior negates life loss, but I'm not so sure if it has much potential.

There is no Mardu, there is only Gruul.

>Shrine sees play in burn
No it doesn't

>EDF
Hard to work witth in Modern since it's a little too slow

>Smuggler's Copter
Sees some amount of play

>Shrine of Burning Rage
>Fevered Visions
These are way too slow for modern

>Dispatch
Affinity sometimes runs this in the side and there was a popular build that used it for a hot second.

>Madcap Experiment
Sees play in meme decks and blue moon.

>Blessed Alliance
Sees play in some white midrange decks either in MB or SB especially bant ones.

Madcap is able to gain you a fuckload of life if you play it alongside Intervention pact. It is giving me a really great (bad) idea for a deck

With 5 color Humans goodstuff,

Smuggler is the most important card of my Blue Steel. It's fantastic until you get Stony Silence'd

Arena will be the death knell of non Standard formats, Wizards will only ever throw the peasants a Masters TM with a ton of bulk and a few money mythics and rares that drop the price $10 or so. Legacy and Modern will be outmoded, a new format based around the new border will be created to avoid all those "mistake" interactive cards like Lightning Bolt, Serum Visions, Preordain, Logic Knot and Heros Downfall. And then you can play creatures and attack and you dont have to worry about good removal, just attack and attack and occasionally block.

Do not reply to tripfags.

Okay BOSS

don't reply to BOSS okay

I'm going to be an arena player now! It's frontier!!!

Don't use those shits. Counterspell is the only thing to worry about. Play sets of cavern of souls and prowling serpopard.

You don't need that pussy gaea's revenge shit or shitty instant spells. Don't run anything that costs more than six or that isn't a hydra.

Blue removal that's not counter sucks ass but if you're worried about other colored removal run 2x Thrun and 4x Shaper's sanctuary.

I didn't knew about the existence of prowling serpopards.

Eldritch Evolution

Sidisi's Faithful mvp unsummon variant

>tfw you opponent counters your Eldritch Evolution
Never before in my life have I wanted to run Boseiju in a deck as much as I did after getting hosed that badly.

>Playing?
infect/elves I like creature combo decks.
>Hating?
Chalice. Of. The. Void.
>Meta?
Bunch of tron and fairies.
>Building?
8-rack as it is a skill intensive deck that doesn't require top decking :^)

why does he trip?
does he really want to tie his shitty trash decks to his shitty trash personality on Veeky Forums for everyone to ridicule?

I feel the same everytime Cathartic Reunion is countered

This humans deck and the scg open makes me really happy

Commentary is awful but decks are great.

Not memeing here, but what are the chances this card sees an unban. I think with push and the lack of cantrips it could happen.

I'm still flabbergasted at how this deck won to begin with. Discard a random do nothing 10 cost red card that is otherwise a complete dead draw if I don't have this specific card, a red card, combat, no blockers, then I get in for 10 infect? That is like 7 steps.

In all fairness the format had preordian and ponder and got probe to help with the draw, but now I agree. I think with how poor infect is doing and all the reasons previously stated there is a decent chance.

The only problem is that theres a stigma with turn 2 combo decks.

I play infect and turn 2 is still very real. There is just too many decks that play fatal push or hand hate or a 1 mana creature that can just block a 10/10 infector. But if your tapping out to play hand sculpting or playing any other combo deck our advantage is super good.

>no blockers
Blighted agent and inkmoth to an extent since most decks don't have flyers. The deck had probe, Preordain and Ponder as well as tutor stuff like Tolaria west and muddle mixture to protect and find pieces.

Just unban probe

They discussed DRS as well as this general does.

What's your meta like?

I don't think that's the answer. Probe would push shadow decks so much.

>Just unban probe
>[laughs in Death's Shadow]

Ban Aether Vial.

Its a mixed bag. But there is always at least one tron player.

interesting. Do you play with Jace Vryn in the mb? If so what's the purpose?

I'm a Jund and Grixis shadow player and I promise I won't play it, it's just for infect. Please unban now.

I don't. I've seen it previously and I don't like it. The idea is to loot into things that are good several times, if he flips, great, flash back pump spells/protection. I've played every color infect but red and white so far.

I think Bant Eldrazi benefits from 2-3 Eldritch Evolution and Sigarda in main. And then maybe more in the SB with 3cmc hate creatures instead of an assortment of hate like RIP. With EE plus hate creatures you have much better odds of turn 2 access to things like Anafenza and is much more consistent in odds than actually getting to see 1 or 2 copies of RIP.

>Just unban probe
I want this so I can play RUG Delver again, but I don't know if it would make Storm and GDS too good. My guess is that GDS actually doesn't care about it too much, because they have discard to look at people's hands, and can shock themselves plenty already, but I could be wrong.

>instant concede
Does Gifts Storm not run bolt in main anymore?

I built UW control and a friend of mine runs elves. I have a hard time playing him and I know its mostly because im bad, but i can play well against the junk/jund players, deaths shadow, hatebears, and even eldrazi tron. What do i do?

How many Verdicts are you running?

Is the current modern meta too diverse?

I run 4 verdicts. He sideboards in 4 chokes though which fucks me up big time.

>He sideboards in 4 chokes though which fucks me up big time.
If he does that there's not much you can do except board in removal for his Chokes.

Humans out of nowhere here fucking destroying the big boogeyman

There's actually something to be said for this. I've been finding that there's such a wide range of threat types to deal with that I simply don't have the sideboard space to deal with all the decks.

Though, that might be a sign of my main deck being too shit.

No deck should have all the perfect answers for every relevant matchup
You have to sacrifice some of those perfect answers for specific for wider answers that work on more matchups
Which is not negative

>Hunted creatures
I tried to make them work awhile ago but it never really panned out.

Little sister wants to start coming to FNM. I need to build her a deck. Need something relatively easy that may give her a few shots at winning.

Priorities: Fun, monster centeric, easy, doesn't require too much card knowledge. .ie What to pick with throughtsize without knowing the meta.

Green stompy.
If she's younger make it something Selesnya. Has the most pleasant, least intimidating artwork.

I find that in the current Meta whoever goes first just fucking wins unless the deck they are playing has a massive disadvantage or they need to mulligan more than once.
I dunno about you but that sounds really shitty to me.

I would say Soul Sisters (Girls love that deck, it is a fact) but if she is new such a trigger happy deck isn't a very good idea. How good of an Onii-chan are you senpai? You taught her to remember her triggers right?

bogles is the easiest deck i can think of. don't know if i'd call it fun though
really though every deck requires meta knowledge. imo it's better to have her pick a deck that she's really into and jam games from there. a good way to gain format knowledge is to just jam a bunch of matches and that's way easier to do with a deck you're genuinely interested in playing/learning. that's just my perspective as someone who really enjoys the metagaming aspect of magic. baseline, make sure she knows about meta decks and what to expect from gameplay, environment, procedure, etc.

i find that whoever sideboards best against their opponent's sideboard plan has a huge advantage

consider playing proactive elements to race the decks you can't answer

i recently played against a deck that just used the ones that give 1/1s and illness in the ranks. that seems a bit better just because of the curve and how enchantments are a bit harder to kill than torpor orb, although orb hates out more things incidentally. i guess you also get more duplicates in virulent plague and like night of soul's betrayal...
pic unrelated

>pic unrelated
Incidentally Night of Soul's Betrayal completely fucking hoses Affinity.

This looks pretty fantastic desu. Cut blue. Add red/bloodmoon. Don't even need to use noble hierarchs. Ichorclaw myr. Black mamba.

>night of soul's betrayal
Hoses infect too.
Mono-White Martyr is pretty basic. Naturally beats unfair decks through life gain. Beats burn through life gain. Beats zoo. etc.

I find it pretty funny that Grixis Death's Shadow runs like, three red spells, and Temur Battle Rage is one of them, because it lets you slam kills one turn after DS.

>Naturally beats unfair decks through life gain
Define "unfair" because Tron doesn't give a fuck about your life total.

Martyr Proc gets shit on by unfair decks
>hurr durr aggro decks are unfair

Nad naus. Valacute.

Not that user, But Through the breach decks and combo like Storm and Grishoalbrand all can't do shit against Martyr pre-board

have you ever played the deck, martyr auto loses game 1 against those decks. Grishoal can still fizzle to itself, not your deck in particular though.

Lavaclaw Reaches, my BR could really use a manland, but god damn it, 3 mana to activate, for a bear with firebreathing? What the fuck wizards

>martyr auto loses to storm
In what fucking universe? You start the game with an extra 15 life and they can't use Empty the warrens because you just gain more life.

>saffronolives fucking shit meme decks are everywhere at the lgs
>literally have to watch the shit deck videos to sideboard against these shit decks
kill me already

Ok first of all I'm talking about Martyr Proc, not soul sisters. Don't use retarded names like 'mono-white martyr' when that doesn't actually describe your deck at all.
Secondly, storm doesn't give a shit about 15 extra life. If they're going off they can get those extra 15 casts effortlessly.

You cannot defeat the memes. You can only join them.

15 extra life is 15 extra spells needed to get cast. Typically from the GY. and by that time you have the storm player dead or you found hate.
JUND GREAT JUND NEVER LOSE JUND BEST DECK

$50 tarmagoyf says hi

like which ones?

what strange build of martyr proc are we talking about? i play grishoal and the local martyr proc player agrees with me that it's almost a bye for me

how can one man generate such a huge volume of clicks and views

i suppose if you live to turn 4 and have kept their ravagers, thopters, and champion off the table