/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Trove:
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, in /5eg/:
Character death - how do you handle it? Any resurrection homerules? How widespread are diamonds?

Other urls found in this thread:

adnd3egame.com/documents/DD5classic.pdf
forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?816346-Opinions-of-D-amp-D-5E-Classic
adnd3egame.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Also
>tfw my players liked an NPC so much, they're now dragging her along with them and willingly sharing with her their experience
And they say you can't do a DMPC right.

>how do you handle it?
Make a new character
>Any resurrection homerules?
Usually involves a quest if it happens at all

Reposting from last thread

Need some help with figuring out Ritual spells..

I know the core rules for it and how to use it. What I dont get, is the spells that can actually be cast as rituals.

What exactly is good ritual spells (for a Wizard specifically)? I know find familiar, Leomunds Tiny Hut, maybe Identify and Detect Magic, but what else?

I just can't find any good spells that can be cast as ritual. It seems like all the spells that would seem good, can't actually be cast as rituals, and those that can, are situational at best.

I am not finding any of the rituals that supposedly turns a Wizard into a utility God.

How do you make a necromancer wizard interesting? Wizards always feel so bland.

There are lots.
But more importantly, there are lots who can be cast at no expense and without having to be prepared

>Character death - how do you handle it?
I don't have to, because I am invincible.
But whenever another pleb in my party drops, they just have to make a new character or, like there might be a quest involved.

>How widespread are diamonds?
We've found absolutely none until very recently, we killed a dragon. It had a bell encrusted with many small diamonds.

Nostalgic for Warlords or the Tome of Battle? Here you go, weebs.

So I just ordered a kazoo on amazon for 6 bucks to bring to my next session as my Bard.

They can't be too hard to play for someone with a decent sense of rhythm and a few hundred hours across Guitar Hero-like games,
Osu! and other rhythm games right?

You don't "play" a kazoo, you just make noise with it.

It's fine if the players pick the NPC but if you're just shoving one in it can be annoying.

Was she planned to be a DMPC? Does she have class levels? Is she taking part in battle? Is she taking an active part in major decisions? Is she glory hogging? If no, then she's no DMPC

'DMPCs' by the players' initiative = great
DMPCs that the players are not interested in = bad

>literally looking at her bloody hands
>she shot him in the eye with a bow

This isn't regret, she is a sick fuck who killed that man and walked to his body so she could feel his blood between her fingers.

My character just died last session. His death was a bit of an outlier, since my DM and me agreed on creation what would happen to him when he dies and that he'll be resurrected as an NPC in some other plays after fiddling around with a god of death in his backstory. It's effectively a shortcut on his personal quest, as that included finding out his connection to said god and tracking down his past.

Last time a party member died, it was in order to let him switch classes, retraining from a Cleric of Moradin to a Paladin of one of our DM's homebrew goddesses that we've previously worked with. That process involved him going through what's essentially hades on a solo quest first and then us working together with said goddess to get him out of hell, with our casters opening and maintaining a portal to the plane while the goddess and our Barbarian jumped in and struck a deal with the god of death to release him back if our barbarian can win against one of his devils in a 1v1 fight.

The last char death before that was also due to our ranger wanting to switch to bladelock and being infected by a plague, having to be put down after turning into a zombie. Said Bladelock isn't around anymore either since we kicked the guy out of our group a few months ago for constantly being a metagaming no-fun-allowed faggot, his character just suddenly disappearing during a fight against a dragon turtle on open sea.
No party member in-universe liked the dude anyway so there wasn't much grieving or anything of the sort either. Hell, we all only remembered that we started with him on board after arriving on the next island.

I had a DM try to shove some salty sea dog dwarf on us. He even tried to imitate the voice when he talked. Shit got annoying fast but the NPC was OP'd and too integral to the plans of the DM so we were stuck dealing with him.

Resurrection is really gay. It means that characters are basically immortal past 5th level or so as long as they aren't total dumbasses. Surviving to 20th level is no longer an accomplishment. The campaign is less likely to survive than your characters. Resurrection sucks. It destroys the tension created by potential death. Death becomes absolutely meaningless. Fucking resurrection. Also makes it almost impossible to kill obnoxious characters you don't like, cause then the party will just resurrect them so they can do more "epic meme things."

5e had the chance to become the best edition simply by deleting resurrection, or making so hard and dangerous to do that it was rarely worth it. Instead they removed XP costs and made the game even more casualized so now dumb bitch elf druids can jump off a 300 foot cliff, fall, transform into a fish halfway down, die anyway, then get pissy at the DM and deny him sex and then get resurrected the next session because the party rogue rolled a nat20 on his medicine check.

This.

K

So im homebrewing a race with two classes. The big ones are modified Barbs and the smaller ones are modified Rogues.
You can still run them as other classes too but these are modified classes tied to their shape shifting.
Two questions, why does Rogue sneak attack do so much fucking damage and is making the big class gain AC while shapeshifted from both Dex and Con an okay idea? They're STR/CON but Dex is still important since they can't wear armor while shapeshifted, and they can't wear metal armor at all if they want to shapeshift because their fey ancestry doesn't meld metal into them like it does clothes or cloth armor when they trueform.

You know, you can choose to eliminate/alter Resurrection rules as your party chooses.

So in my game, we recently had to kill the leader of a city who went tyrannical. So there's currently no government and the population considers us heroes. There's high chance we could just take control of the two ourselves, but I'm not sure I want to play a city management game.

Do you guys have any interesting ideas if we decide to seize power, or should we just leave it to another npc and go adventuring somewhere else (There have been hooks for that).

I'm looking at 3rd level Warlock spells. Does Hunger of Hadar seem really weak compared to spells like Fireball and Lightning Bolt?

Race as class is generally something 5e doesn't do well. This is a lousy idea.

>Go to town
>'Any gem sellers?'
>'Yeah'
>'does he have any 1000 gold gems?'
>'Yeah, 2'
about that widespread

Like I said you can run the race as regular classes too but muh homebrew.
It's mostly that one of my players took interest in my homebrew race for the setting that were just NPCs so he asked if I could homebrew him the notRogue.

In terms of damage yes, but it's a concentration AOE 40 feet wide. Put it on a crowd or have your martials grapple people into it (or use your EB pushing power) and you can do nice amounts of damage.

That's when you gotta bring in the pools of acid and pits of lava. No body, no resurrection (until 9th level spells).

I actually prefer the other resurrection rules from that book, because that rule doesn't really limit resurrections in practice. The others don't either (except for the Con-loss one), but they at least add some weight to it.

What secondary fighting style should I take for my Half-Orc Champion fighter?

I've been doing the Glaive/pole-arm thing. (To great affect I've completely liquified some guys with some crits).

I'm thinking Duelist and picking up the shield master feat for some utility.

Only large rich towns, dragon hoards, ancient dangerous and non explored ruins, etc have that kind of diamons.

I make the resurrection of a character the goal for a new adventure.

>doesn't really limit in practice
If you fail the DC, the soul is lost and can never return. (Again, until 9th level spells.)

>Champion fighter
>Utility
What did he mean by this

There are several fighting styles that you can benefit from at the same time.

>"b-b-b-b-but just homebrew it"
No, fuck off. Then they will want to know why they can't have their precious resurrection and whine because the game is now "more lethal" and then piss off. Whereas back in the good days, before resurrection spells were a dime a dozen, and you didn't level up after the FIRST FUCKING SESSION, people actually played carefully. Combat actually mattered, and had tension. The last battle in our AD&D campaign back in '05 was one of the tensest I've ever been in, and nothing in 3.5 or 4e or 5e has ever come close to replicating it. It wasn't a fucking "boss battle" either. That shitty video game structure didn't exist. The game was richer and actions mattered. Now you heal all your damage with a short rest and pay 5000 gp for a resurrection spell that you might as well buy because it's not like you've got anything else to spend your gold on since you can't buy magic items (lol).

Jeez, grandpa, if you hate 5e so much, what are you doing here

Halloween approaches...

DMs, what spookiness do you have in store for your players?

>Any resurrection homerules?
I use the Taxing Return and Didn't Come Back Right rules from Matt Mercer's setting book.
Easily bought in major cities. But, much like in real life, the prices can sometimes be inflated. Just because you paid 300 gold for it, doesn't mean it's worth 300 gold.

Old man yells at cloud, wants both more lethal combat (as if you can't already be instagibbed by a crit at lvl 1), and easily available magic items at the same time

Playing Curse of Strahd, everyday is spookyday.

Yeah but it's DC 10, and you can potentially lower it to DC 1. It's not hard to maintain a >50% chance of success.

How would you make a ghetto camp defense trap to keep your party from being surprised when sleeping?

But the DC increases every time. You can't potentially lower it to 1 after the first time.

My character died pretty early into my first campaign. DM took pity on me and put some resurrection item in a chest so the party could revive me.

I wouldn't expect that kind of handout in the future, though, unless the party prepared some kind of resurrection contingency plan ahead of time. The hit point and death mechanics are there for a reason.

>(as if you can't already be instagibbed by a crit at lvl 1)
Yeah and level 1 lasts 1-2 sessions. I've DM'd a year long campaign of this shit, don't act like I don't know.

Anyone tested the new Bard colleges yet?
They all sound really fun, though glamour seems pretty meh in combat after using their 1 minute of free Command casts.

XGTE isn't out yet, so we can playtest them

Next session, the party's gonna get attacked by a spooky warlock-type, and his werewolf friend. Then, after that, they're either gonna head off to deal with some sea hags that are making flesh golems, or they're gonna go to a village full of creepy cultists.

Then don't act like you, as the DM, can't choose how much XP/milestone levels you hand out, and the "video game structure", and the speed of resting

>Taxing Return

This 5e is built off a lot of variant rules. Even Resurrection magic doesn't exist if the players are in the wilderness and can't find a valuable enough diamond. The quest to get one of those is as hard as you want it to be, or even impossible.

You want longer rests? There's a variant for longer rests. You want slower XP? There's a variant for slower XP. But don't run the game in a way you hate and then complain you don't like it.

How do I make an Edwardian Medium/Spiritualist character? I'm thinking about going with a GOO tomelock who's peered through the veil into the beyond and focuses on debuffs and necrotic damage. Any advice? Would Fiend Patron work better?

That makes it seem especially underwhelming then, since in order to get any real damage out of it aside from a blanket 2d6 (compared to Fireball's 8d6) you have to rely on your team grappling and needing to take an specific invocation.

How long do you think we will be waiting until we get actual XGE content from people that got the book early or from Beyond? 2 weeks? 3?

How does she have blood on her hands?

Set up a new leader who isn't corrupt. The population should trust the heros opinion.

I prefer to think of it as fog cloud/darkness that does damage and slows movement than a weaker fireball

It's metaphorical blood

sounds like a gay idea

Hence why I was asking if anyone here actually has playtested with them yet.

>He proved to be a pale ferret-faced man with ropes of pearls and spun gold hanging heavy about his neck. "Your Worship!" he cried. "My name is Ghael. I bring greetings to the Mother of Dragons from King Cleon of Astapor, Cleon the Great."

>Dany stiffened. "I left a council to rule Astapor. A healer, a scholar, and a priest."

>"Your Worship, those sly rogues betrayed your trust. It was revealed that they were scheming to restore the Good Masters to power and the people to chains. Great Cleon exposed their plots and hacked their heads off with a cleaver, and the grateful folk of Astapor have crowned him for his valor."

>"Noble Ghael," said Missandei, in the dialect of Astapor, "is this the same Cleon once owned by Grazdan mo Ullhor?"

>Her voice was guileless, yet the question plainly made the envoy anxious. "The same," he admitted. "A great man."

>Missandei leaned close to Dany. "He was a butcher in Grazdan's kitchen," the girl whispered in her ear. "It was said he could slaughter a pig faster than any man in Astapor."

>I have given Astapor a butcher king. Dany felt ill, but she knew she must not let the envoy see it. "I will pray that King Cleon rules well and wisely."

because whoever drew this is bad at logic thinking

For my Halloween session next week I need to split up the party completely: each character trapped in their own nightmare, while the Elf tries to find a way to awaken them.. While in their nightmares, they will be able to try to move into other players' nightmares, and interacting with certain key landmarks of their nightmares will "resonate" with corresponding key landmarks in other peoples' nightmares (interacting with the well from Person A's nightmare will cause a shrieking owl to fly out of a tree stump in person B's nightmare).

Any advice on how to run this idea efficiently? Or is it too much?

I can contradict the rules all I want but that doesn't mean that most players have been spoiled and ruined by modern gaming that has babied them for ten years and fed them nothing but power wank fantasies. The hp bloat in D&D is unbelievable. Tarrasque used to have 200 hp because damage hadn't been bloated out the ass by loads of infinite damage treadmill class features.

Cool. Thanks for your opinion. Maybe try a thread about an edition you like

Also, I pan on having a green-and-red striped bugbear with long claws hunt down each member of the party simultaneously (one monster in each nightmare, though if one attacks, they all attack). I'm considering letting the player who has the Elf control the monster in combat so they have something to do while we're focusing on the nightmares, and the players with sleeping characters can control monsters and NPCs and such in the real world

The big bad has figured out a way to cast wish at will, but he's not actively hunting the party down and only tries to defend himself if attacked. How can he be defeated?

Silence

You guys see Chris Perkins' "5e Classic" hack? Some interesting changes in that. Favorite being that he made the Fighting Style choice a feat choice from an appropriate list, boiled some of the old fighting styles into new or existing feats and made some other feats more clear or interesting. ASIs are based on player level and you get one every time your proficiency bonus increases, and Fighter gets bonus "Fighting Style" feat choices to preserve that bit from 5e.

>hack
>pen and paper game
>hack

>I can contradict the rules all I want
"Milestones" and "Level Advancement without XP", DMG p. 261
"Rest Variants: Gritty Realism", DMG p. 267

>Tarrasque used to...
You're just rambling now, making a series of random arguments with no coherence.

Just leave him alone. Doesn't sound like he's causing any trouble.

>>The author is a Chris Perkins, but not the Chris Perkins, and he has a habit of copying the look and feel so closely that he violates copyright, as you can see.

This is old terminology. Do a google search, set the terms for 90s-to-2000s, and observe.

>5e Classic
sauce?

I do like this edition. Parts of it, at least.

Milestones are for faggots. Go play FATE if you want that gay ass shit.
And so what if I change the healing rates? Game still is pussified cause it's damn near im possible to die. If I have to use 10 different houserules to put the game back the way it's supposed to be, then it's a nonfunctional game. Period. End of fucking story. And the point is that D&D has become a shitty video game with its glut of class features that make the game more "interesting" by distracting from the GM having to actually create an interesting setting, interesting NPCs, and interesting adventure. AD&D had barely any rules and it feels far richer than any of the prepackaged plastic shit in 5e.

You should really go and learn how to make a coherent argument, you're getting really tedious

He isn't, and under normal circumstances his work would be a great boon to society. However, he keeps accidentally destroying the world through his work, and attempts to travel back and warn him have just resulted in him destroying the world some other way.

Rope tied to trees with jars/cans with a few rocks inside attached to the rope. If something walks into the rope the rocks will rattle around and alert everyone

Is there a better spell than Tiny Hut? Is there a comfier spell?

adnd3egame.com/documents/DD5classic.pdf

>Credits: Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, and Chris Perkins
>Editor-in-Chief: Catherine Perkins
Doubt

forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?816346-Opinions-of-D-amp-D-5E-Classic

>3e

¿Que?

Technically they did still do most of the work, lot's of copy/pasting.

It's 5e even though it says that.

Magnificent Mansion, but it's 7th level.

>involves a quest if it
Been ringing about this as well for my new campaign. For those games that make res a quest what does the fallen player play during the quest portion?

Is there a pdf version of the Spebook cards by gale force nine anywhere?

She's having her period which also explains why she murdered her boyfriend and the blood on his "sword"

Too showy and over the top. Plus, like you said, it's 7th level.

What is owning a domain name for 10+ years

Not that "we'll never not play 3e!" is a good domain name choice

What's a good module to use if you don't want to use LMoP?

Which monster can best be reskinned to become a Michael Myers/Jason stalker type?

Sunless Citadel and Forge of Fury, in Tales from the Yawning Portal.

I'm made uncomfortable by the fact that this guy tries to make his stuff official-looking and uses the names of other authors, rather than making it clear which changes are by him.

adnd3egame.com

As far as I can tell, the main changes are removing archetypes from classes, giving races negative modifiers, and changing the spell list. It's pretty fucking weird.

Rope Trick is at least cozier, but comfy is debatable

Also adding a shit ton of dead levels

How do you guys feel about DMs reusing World Maps?

Cause a part of me REALLY likes the world maps of FE4

It's been so long since I played horse emblem.

Maybe they'll remake that game sometime and change the art so everyone doesn't have the worst hair possible.

Favorite monster, go.