Warhammer 40k general /40kg/

Guard Nerf edition.

Previous >Warhammer Community news(New FAQs and Errata for the Astra Militarum and beyond)
warhammer-community.com/2017/10/22/new-faqs-and-errata-for-the-astra-militarum-and-beyond-oct-22gw-homepage-post-1/

>Daily Duncan Playlist
youtube.com/watch?v=EnS1CmgB7ko&list=PLEaPE4sLDA7ucJ0dkiVZSW6ghZUNGFHIW

>Eldar entire codex revealed by Striking Scorpion 1488
youtube.com/watch?v=4ne8vBVT8N0

>GW FAQ (1.1):
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata#40k-errata

>FW FAQ (1.1):
warhammer-community.com/2017/07/15/new-and-updated-forge-world-faqs-july16gw-homepage-post-2/

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android:
>Everything 8th edition in properly converted pdf & epub, fully bookmarked and linked with in-line errata annotations
mega.nz/#F!bF0ExS4D!_XaMECn0K9HiJKUFSopJLA

>Other Megas
mega.nz/#F!64wmnBZR!rWcm37EkOOeToeueqhPjpA
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
>Old Black Library Mega
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

>WIP Math-hammer doc (Thanks Chart-user!)
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h0hk_IdJ7fivDEjMiIpKM5yMMB8HTm64lZHuKdLZCIU/edit?usp=sharing

*sobs into pile of empty bottles*
*BLAMs self*

First for the first!

So what's up with Primaris Marine Gene-Seed? Cawl claims their gene-seed is more genetically pure, stable, and without the defects or mutations of their predecessors. Is that true? Can I finally make a Loyalist Chapter from a Primarch that isn't Rob, Khan, Ferrus or from the traitorous Lion?

>like a load of factions equally
>can't choose which
>endlessly trapped in indecision

Which doctrine would work best to emulate the krieg infantry?

Xth for Guardfags eternally BTFO

NO, my company champion WILL be useful one day. I just have to keep using it.

Start cutting based on things you want/don't want.

One of the easiest is moving a long the "do I want tons of models or an elite few" line.

Anyone else disappointed with DG 'tankiness', vs assault cannons and shuriken cannons, you get shredded.

Not really worth the extra points cost.

‘Summary Execution: The first time an Astra Militarum unit fails a Morale test during the Morale phase whilst it is within 6" of any friendly Commissars, one model of your choice in that unit is slain and the Morale test is re-rolled (do not include this slain model when re-rolling the Morale test).’

>commissars are fine in combination with some units. Broken in combination with others
>common reasonable suggestions were just increasing the number of models killed by a failed morale test from 1 to d6
>GW ignores those, and changes the commissar so it's actually straight up worse to have one than not have one.
>seriously: having a commissar in your army will cause more model losses per morale test than not now.

Classic.

Git lucky
Scrub

Shoot or stab?
Hordes or elites?
Men or vehicles?

Which factions do you like?

>>GW ignores those, and changes the commissar so it's actually straight up worse to have one than not have one.
>>seriously: having a commissar in your army will cause more model losses per morale test than not now.
>ignoring that they buff the Leadership of units around them to 9
>ignoring that this ability has the chance to make you pass a morale test if you weren't auto-failing
>ignoring that conscripts were the most busted unit in the game until now

What makes you think Eldar won't be beat with the nerf stick if they are OP too?

Wow it's almost like infantry-heavy armies are vulnerable to miniguns...

>IG unit fails morale test and they turn tail and run.
>commissar shoots them as they flee.
>fails morale test again and they keep running. As the deamons/xenos chase them down as they overrun their position.

As much as this hurts my army. That is hilariously dark and can't be angry about it.

Sure, go ahead. We won't stop you?

Maybe the Death Korps of Krieg?

More models per failed morale test, but if you can avoid failing at the cost of 1, what are the odds that you'll not fail?

I want a moderate to low model count. So no orks, nids or guard. Ideally men over vehicles, I like footslogging. Not much between shoot or stab, maybe leaning toward stab, but I know combat is garbage now.

That is also fucking as it should be. A shouty man with a gun is not scarier than literal daemons.

Combat is not garbage, it's better than it's been for the past couple editions.

Will the Waacfags go to Girlyman lists?

Eldar?

Hemlock Wraithfighter tho.
Cannot be charged by non units
Using Altaioc tactics and runes of fate, it can make itself -3 to hit.
Ignores wounds and mortal wounds on a 6+
Reduces enemy leadership
Can deny
Can Cross the board in a single turn
S10 gun

Why ever take another unit?

>GW ignores those, and changes the commissar so it's actually straight up worse to have one than not have one.
But user math is subjective.

>but I know combat is garbage now.
It's the best it's been in two or three editions.

What do you think of Space Marines? Just as a whole?

Melee isn't garbage, user.

Lychguard vs Praetorian.

I mean, the warscythe and having the dynasty rule is great, especially when the movement isnt as important with the whole Zandrake/Obryon trick.

But having a pistol is good, since you get to shoot in melee now, right? Is this worth loosing the dynasty rule?

>300 Conscripts
Hahahah.

Because you need ground units to be legal. Plus they will get nerfed.

>footslogging
>moderate unit count
>mix of ranged and melee

Nigga that's Death Guard. Get that. You're strongest at the sub 18" range and do tons of mortal wounds in the sub 7" one.

how is the new rules? is 40k similar to aos gameplay now? should I get the eldar start collecting box? I would like to play some small games like 1k max. and eldar is my fav faction.

If I was gonna play Space Marines, I'd want to do Primaris only. Except I know they're hammered shit, and especially since I don't want a repulsor.

I keep hearing that it is, that you'll just get shot to shit while you're trying to cross the board.

Melee Admech, emphasis on Dragoon squads and Electros and such. Got some decent dakka in there too, gorgeous models and all the kitbash room you could ask for.

>melee
>foot
>low model count

The god of war demands skulls user, you'd better not disappoint him.

>Using Altaioc tactics and runes of fate, it can make itself -3 to hit
It can't cast Conceal, bruv, and the power doesn't work the same anymore anyways.

Death Guard seem cool, but aren't they overplayed as fuck? Like, being half of the starter suggests they're the new Everyone Has An Army Of These Guys.

as others have said, melee is good now.
Necrons are your typical resilient footslogging army.
Demons are mainly stab and don't have vehicles. Rely on deep strike and running
Deathguard is also a CSM faction that's footslogging and super resilient
World Eaters are the stabby version of CSM

How does it feel to know that psykers are superior to commissars?

You only get to shoot in melee during your own shooting phase, so pistols are more defensive. Since as it is

>Charge
>Fight in your own fight phase, take some damage from enemy
>Enemy's turn
>Enemy shoots you point blank with pistols
>Take damage from enemy
>Fight back
>Your turn
>Shoot with pistols, finally
>Fight in melee

Pistols are only good if you're on the defensive or plan on being stuck in combat for an entire game turn.

There are lots of ways to reach melee effectively these days. Transports, teleporting, etc can get you there on turn 2, maybe turn 1 if you're lucky.

All that means is that you can assemble an army for cheap as shit from people who bought the boxes for the Imperial side.

>what are rhinos
>what are drop pods
>what are jump packs
>what is teleport
>what are raven guard/alpha legion infiltrator stratagems

So?

You want to play what you like or what makes you the biggest hipster?

I actually really like World Eaters but the Berzerker models are hideous compared to basically everything else. Plus I'm never sure about CSM because as much as I love their fluff and the idea of them, all the extra stuff (dinobots etc) I really don't like.

a knowledge of history

I can not settle on a 40k army, Anons. My girlfriend has nearly 2k points of Death Guard and I can't choose what to play.

I want something choppy, zergish and assault-based, preferably Imperium. How are Space Wolves/ Blood Angels these days?

Sudden death rules.
-3 is a psychic power that currently affects caster and infantry around it so only works on one model assuming it doesn't fail to cast
In the new book it's rumored that conceal is now a targeted spell so won't even work on hemlock
also rumored that hemlocks can only even cast the debuff half of runes of battle now.
Hemlock doesn't have bonus to cast so against any other big(200+ pts) meta relevant caster (ie magnus) it's not even getting that off.

Hmm. Maybe not as good as I thought. Stillb being able to dump some shots into the guys I'm about to charge in the shooting phase is nice.

Good, though of the two SW are the more zergish. BA can be tactical.

If I intend to play CSM, can I field an army of multiple legions?
Like can I have Death Guard and Iron Warriors? Are there any restrictions i need to follow in order to do so?

Who needs a commissar?

>Stillb being able to dump some shots into the guys I'm about to charge in the shooting phase is nice.
>shoot before charging
>Opponent removes closest models
>1-2" added to required charge distance

>gnoring that this ability has the chance to make you pass a morale test if you weren't auto-failing

I'm not ignoring this, you're misunderstanding how the math works.

The average roll of 1d6 is 3.5. The average roll of 2d6 taking the lowest but adding 1 is 3.53. I don't know exactly what the average roll of 1d6 then reroll if failed is, but I know that it is going to be higher than 2d6 take lowest, because there's no filtering choice element. Which means that taking the commissar increases your morale casualties.

The only argument that I think is an effective counter is the increased leadership. So a commissar will save about 4 models from the increased leadership. From a conscript blob (leadership 4 to 8). Take out the one they're going to lose for sure, and you've got a net gain of 3 models saved. But that isn't really the point.

Previously commissars were saving entire units with the summary execution ability. Outside of conscripts, this was fine and balanced. Infantry squads were good. Ogryns were good. The ability went from broken on conscripts and good on everything else, to actually worse than not having it at all on everything.

Which is such a huge over correction that it makes me worried for what's going to happen with my army's codex and faq.

*Throws 36+6d6 bolter shots at your infantry*

You can have them as separate Detachments in the army. Or you can just do "chaos soup" and take whatever you like from all the varieties of CSM, plus Daemons. There are bonuses for doing pure detachments of one legion though, but it's fine to take two detachments in an army.

>eldar get the old summary execution factionwide
BALANCE IS BACK ON THE MENU BOIS

>literal mind control is better at making others not run away than being mean to them

Gee, who would've guessed.

Hey I've been sticking female heads on my guardsmen and I want them to have helmets, it's been going okay but I've run into the problem of not having enough helmets per box to get a good 50/50 ratio, I would normally just accept a 5/2 ratio but they are cadians, everyone is a solder so... but I digress. Is there a way to cut the helmets of my extra male heads? I've tried my pliers and even a box cutter but no luck.

Well, lychguard it is! Warscythes for fun and profit

Are the Judicator Battalion's preatorians only the Praetorian bits?

If you want to use some of DG's special units(Basically anything besides Plague Marines) then they need to be in a separate detachment.

Eldar don't have cheap 30 man hordes, retard.

>seeing jimmy get shot by Your Friend, the Regimental Commissar doesnt fill you with as much stalwart heroism and bravery as a psyker reaching into your soul and shoving the heart of a lion and the will of the emperor directly into you

who would have fucking guessed

I actually use Chosen.

A while back, about two weeks, we banned guard from our store.

The local waacfag switched to eldar.

how the fuck did he know?

How? AL?

>WAAC fags btfo

I hated being associated with them.

exactly which makes it even worse as the points impact for one extra of their models running away is about the same as 10 conscripts running away
thanks for backing me up on this one bruh

>36
>6d6

Because Eldar are always going to be good as long as Phil 'BasedGod' Kelly works for GW?

Then be happy that they're migrating to other armies.

L I O N
I
O
N

Loyalty is its own reward :^)

Being better still doesn't make something good.

>happy IG just became monobuild scions

Okay.

It's like you don't understand why Conshits were cancerous.

You don't have to run dinobots to play CSM.

If you don't like the Berzerker models, you could buy the Mark III space marine models, and then get the bolt/plasma pistols and chainsword/chainaxe bitz for cheap from a bitz seller on ebay. World Eaters could still be using Mark III since they had a lot during the heresy era, and they aren't the type to care about technologically advancing their armor.

the only thing that gets my goat is losing the safety window of "your dudes dont die getting out of a Valkyrie if it moved exactly 20"

how dare they make my supersonic fighter jet slow down and VTOL so everyone can jump out safely

Yeah I'd rather my guard army be shifty desu. I can go back to drowning the enemy in my blood in peace.

kitbash form age of sigmar khorne models

Low model count tyranids

Genestealer slingshots are literally what you're after.

And how does that compare to what GW has been doing actively balancing shit since 8th started?

"""balancing"""

That was the gist of my post user, use context clues.

Grey Knights, user. Grey Knights.

>things guardfags are BTFO
>Doesn't realize IG still has like 5 different ways to mitigate morale, they just have to work for it a bit more

You're also forgetting the fact that artillery weren't touched in the slightest. Guard is still pretty good, we just had some of our more bullshit stuff pulled in line with other codexes.

At least conscripts aren't autotake anymore, so maybe all the tourneyfags will stop taking random Imperial Army +Celestine + Guilleman + 120 conscripts = Because Fuck You and any fun you may have had.

the AL stratagem is REALLY useful for chosen, guaranteed first blood or even a vehicle kill

Did they just nerf your commissars, user? Did they?

Just remember anons if every army is nerfed into the ground then they are all balanced

They shoot twice per shooting phase when they remain stationnary, and they each have 6+1d6 shots to fire.

No, I play necrons. I'm still angry.

>Needing to make meta builds to win

LMAO

*Scouts a baneblade*

Enjoy your boost in Chapter Approved, user.

>unironically liking dreadknights

Why do they insist upon adding terrible designs to things I like?

>end of 8th edition
>nerf train has continued relentlessly, pushing everything down
>end result is every army is the exact same mechanically.

Finally, """Balance"""

I want to avoid gimmick lists like that, because it leaves my army unusable after one bad FAQ.

I got my dreadnaught and made that the body with arms and legs. Looked dope.

arrgghhhh

Page 112 – Brood Brothers Change this rule to read: ‘The influence of a Genestealer Cult permeates all aspects of a society, including any Astra Militarum regiments stationed on their world. To represent the elements of such forces that have been subverted by a cult, you can include Astra Militarum units and Genestealer Cults units in the same matched play army, even though these units don’t have any Faction keywords in common. However, you can only include one Astra Militarum Detachment (one in which every unit has the Astra Militarum keyword) in a Battleforged army for each Genestealer Cult Detachment (one in which every unit has the Genestealer Cults keyword) in that army and every unit in the Astra Militarum Detachment that has the keyword must replace it in every instance on its datasheet with Brood Brothers (you cannot include any Astra Militarum named characters in such Detachments). In such cases, simply ignore the Astra Militarum units when choosing your army’s Faction.’

>36+3D6

First turn can still give advantage, even in a perfect mirror (re: Chess).

>mfw the push for more female representation ends up turning 40k into a waifu game.