/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Trove:
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, in /5eg/:

What monster's and creatures would you like to see in future monster manuals, how about playable races?

Half-Dwarves would be nice. Also maybe just general monster blocks based on playable races would be helpful.

>how about playable races?
Thri-Kreen, Changeling and Shardmind are races I want to see printed

We're never going to get another MM. You're going to get a SCAG-esque fluff book for a setting you don't care about with 10 new monsters stuffed into the very back, and you're going to thank WotC for it.

Warforged maybe? I never play anything but Human in the first place, but that's more about not having found a foreign race I click with yet.

I think playable races that give +3 in one ability score and -1 or -2 in another would be interesting, mechanically.

What is volo's?

I want them to redo Shifters, I'm not a fan of Ebberon but I enjoy having Shifters as a fill in for more wild races.

>What monster's and creatures would you like to see in future monster manuals, how about playable races?

I'd like a pack that just really dives deep into beastfolk at large—lizardfolk, tabaxi, tortles, and maybe subraces for each based on specific creatures. Consider a gecko-based lizardfolk with a climb speed, for example. You could even get totally new beastfolk such as lithe monkeyfolk and dogmen.

I swear I'm not furry, I just love beastfolk

Warforged.

An official pony splat.

That penalty would need to be in Con almost exclusively since every other stat you can get away with dumping without issue

I kinda miss the shardmind. Turning into shardnadoes and shit

GIVE
ME
JAPANESE
KOBOLDS

Anons, what are some good encounters for a forest filled with undead? My party is going to be doing some wandering for the next few sessions and I want to make some good fights.

I like kobolds to have like half a dozen interpretations simultaneously. Lizard, dog, rat and so on as different subbreeds, born of different environments.

>What monster's and creatures would you like to see in future monster manuals

The Catalog of Constructs.

A whole book of interesting golems and animated objects would be right up my alley. Paper golems! Lumber golems! Ice golems! Coal golems!

Animated furnaces! Animated outfits! Animated shields! Massive objects like animated ships and stables!

Check out the Yellow Musk Creeper. 5th edition foes.

Bizarre necromancer fey

Rules for the creation thereof seem like a good idea, while they're on the theme.

>Animated stables.
What?

>I think playable races that give +3 in one ability score and -1 or -2 in another would be interesting, mechanically.
No it wouldn't, it would just be more of the same only instead of starting with +3 mod you would start with +4 with point buy.

They muck themselves, feed/water the horses, and maybe even clean them. Like an automated car wash for horses.

Probably late, but I just realized Orcpub dropped all non-SRD content. Bummer.

Sounds like some high-magic hogwash to me.

Need some feedback for this before I upload it to my blog. Been converting 3.5 monsters to 5e. Already got a few up there, including the makeshift mauler I posted a couple threads ago.

thirdtofifth.tumblr.com

Any feedback you can give me on this famine spirit would be great. Wording, formatting, anything helps.

Also, if there is a 3.5 monster you like that you want me to convert to 5e, just reply to me, I bookmark my posts. I've already got Kaorti and mercanes in the works, I will upload them for feedback soon. I've got all the splatbooks so don't worry nothing is too obscure. Also working on converting Thoon and Elder Evils to 5e, that's a big project I hope to release in a month or so. I take requests in the meantime, however, to build up my conversion chops! And because there are so many monsters I want to convert, it overwhelms me, so I let others decide.

sorry for reposting

DMs of Veeky Forums how do you play out the end of an arc/adventure?

I'm debating whether I should write an epilogue where I just say they return to the castle after killing the bad dude, everybody loves them and idolizes them, and then hint at other adventure hooks.

OR if I should act out the important NPCs being surprised and happy.

Leaning towards the former since I think having the NPCs just be excited is kind of goofy and I feel my PCs wont feel heroic with my crappy acting.

I feel like this would have a lot of overlap with Mimics, and a good expansion on them could be worthwhile, too.

I guess a whole book full of "Things That You Wouldn't Expect to Attack You, but, Well, Here We Are"

Why the Gorgon?

>5th edition foes
I've heard mixed things from them, but I'll take a look. Appreciate it.
They've already met one fey, but they could always meet another...could be fun.

>hogwash

More like horsewash

relevant to my adventure, but luckily my group doesn't browse Veeky Forums I hope

>could be fun.
What you're looking for here "death cult cabal of fey"

Should I tell my DM my (honestly quite brief) backstory or just reveal elements of it as appropriate scenarios present themselves as we play?

Ooooh, I like that a LOT.
A group of minor fey who have arrived in this forest to worship the undead. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. Thank you!

First time DM here running LMoP for a party of 7 (potentially 6, since I'm considering kicking one who is showing no interest and not making any effort) and was just curious if anyone had any tips? Game's being played through Roll20, if that matters.

Always give your DM backstory to work with
He can add stuff if he isn't lazy to make you feel special

Let them know. Have a session zero.

>try to make a new character
>Give him a family for a change
>make family building a big trait of your character
>DM instantly attacks them

k guess I'll just go back to making "My family are all dead" characters like every other player in every other campaign we've ran

Better be fucking brief. None of that snowflake shit.

Always tell your DM, so they can more easily incorporate it into the campaign. Players, on the other hand...

Does anyone have the html code to generate stuff to make it look like actual wizard material? To make a nice looking homebrew?

Should I play a Long Death Monk or a Sun Soul Monk for fun?

The other option's an Archer Cleric.

No problem. It was from an idea I never used, as an excuse to have an entire population cursed into living skeleton forms.

So what went wrong with the Artificer?

Nah. Go overboard. Be a halfling with a list of hundreds and hundreds of relatives. Dot them throughout every city and town around the world. Make so many that if the DM says 'your family was attacked by dragons and killed' it implies a fucking dragon-induced destruction of the entire world along with a carefully concocted plot to kill your family specifically with how spread out they all are.

I fucking hate this shit. It's a thousand times more interesting to have the player's brother show up in town with a lead on a quest than it is for them to just be killed.

Alchemist doesn't do any alchemy and the mechanical servant should have been a subclass all its own.

>don't put up with dumb player shit
>roll20 specific: setting up stat blocks for NPCs is nice, but I find it a lot quicker to set up a macro bar with a command for rolling every polyhedral dice (d20 set up to roll 2d20 in case of advantage), then keeping the stat blocks on a separate window/evernote as images.
>don't avoid "no" like all the meme DMs tell you, if you have new players and you know a mechanic don't be afraid to clear it up for them. once they have a few sessions under their belt, however, don't be afraid to saying "yes" and then just narrating their failure.
>encourage your players to also look up information on their own, don't be the only one with PHB open.

they half-assed it.

Sounds good lads.

Haha, I'm not too worried about that. I'm just a LG High Elf Ranger who's father is a very well respected general who's greatest desire is to make said father and the Elf Kingdom in general proud of him. He joined the creatively names Rangers which are basically the eyes and ears of the Kingdom. His relationship with his father is not strained at all, he just wants to fulfill the (perceived) expectations of him.

The general lack of interesting archetype features, .mechanical servant feeling a little out of place (especially if you're an alchemist, why is my chemist also an engineer), alchemists not getting alchemist tools proficiency (but gunsmiths get smiths tools), thieves' tools expertise for free which not even rogues get, 1/3rd spellcasting.

Yeah alright.

>What monster's and creatures would you like to see in future monster manuals, how about playable races?

Flinds and I would like to see something that goes in-depth about dungeons and wilderness.

I am getting Mage Slayer for my 12th level as a Way of the Open Hand monk. Does the first ability of Mage Slayer interfere with the spell casting even if it's an instant spell like Fire Bolt, or attempting to interrupt a spell with damage before it's cast supposed to be a readied action?

As I DM, I would say the spellcaster rolls a concentration to cast a spell from being hit during the casting.

Being conceptualized as a magic crafter in the edition where magical items are frowned upon

>casts a spells
Yes it effects instant spells
For readied actions, the spell is cast and stored, so you would react when the action is readied.

dogbolds best bolds

d'you guys wanna hear a story about Telekinesis going horribly right?

How is having an in-depth backstory snowflake shit?

The attack happens after the spell is cast, meaning they can just shocking grasp you to deny the attack

You walk a very fine line when it comes to that stuff, and unless you can shit out backstories, it's gonna be hard to make new ones if your dude dies.

Zombie trees?

I agree with all these aside from the Thieves' Tools (which Rogues do get). They've always been something Artificers are meant to be good at.

Honestly Alchemest needs another damage option and maybe some more utility, Gunsmith shouldn't need the bonus action reload, Mechancial Servant should be scraped and replaced with another free magical item (which should include a magic gun for Gunsmiths or something for Alchemists) and then give them 1/2 casting.

we always wanna hear stories, even when they're fake as shit. Tell us, user.

Could Duegar work as a playable race?

it already is one

SCAG has them, they're really good actually. Probably the best Sunlight Sensitive race and if you can get past that then they make mean as fuck Fighters. They're pretty hard to roleplay though.

Neat. I need to do more research before asking idiotic questions.

My biggest problem with DnD is the attacking/damage and spell effects being binary. It's boring that attacks are only hit/miss.

I know you can fluff and make descriptions to make attacks more fun. But with no game effects you always end up saying "now roll damage", doesn't matter if you barely hit the target, or went over 10+ its AC.

In fact, at higher levels, it feels that AC barely matters anymore.

Do you guys agree? If so, any solutions?

ok, and I swear on my 8th level Bard that this is true, lest the death curse take him and leave me without my Bubbles.
>very first time playing DnD
>running through the first part of Dragon Queen
>my party consists of my Dragonborn Bard, a Human Warlock/Cthulhu worshipper, a human Druid, and a Tiefling Ranger
>we get to the point where we're spying on some dragon cultists from across the river, which was a pair of elves and like five kobolds
>the Ranger, who is hiding, pops a crossbow bolt into one of the elves.
>the Warlock, however, has different plans. he casts Telekinesis on the same guy to try and convince him that his Gods are punishing him for being a cultist
>he rolls a nat20, and the elf, who currently has a crossbow bolt stuck in his damn arm, realizes the error of his ways and kills two of the Kobolds.
>my Bard and the Ranger attack the rest of their patrol and kill the other elf. our reformed friend unfortunately dies in combat.
>Warlock tries the same shit again on a kobold and still gets a success, but not a nat20. this time he wants the kobold to kill his buddy.
>kobold rolls a nat1 and trips over a rock and stabs himself in the gut.
>the entire table, including the dm

>Do you guys agree? If so, any solutions?

Play something else.

Use the cover rules. Always fun to have stuff hit the cover and damage it when they don't roll high enough to hit target but high enough to hit cover.
Even better when the cover is another character.

Can a Long Death Monk live with 12 CON if he starts with 16 DEX and WIS? I'll also have Mobile so I'll be able to get out of combat pretty easy.

I have no doubt it'll make me a fair bit of a glass cannon unless I can keep killing shit to trigger Touch of Death, but it makes sense with my background that I'd have lowish CON.

you'll be fine. early on CON isn't that important early on except for certain saves and concentration. you essentially get more out of buffing CON later anyways since your HP increase is retroactive. I'll take +1 attack/damage/AC over +1 health any day.

I'd start getting your next character ready, what with the death curse coming. You might not have meant to tell falsehoods, but telekinesis is a spell that forcibly moves creatures or objects. It can't do what you've described.

So basically you'd like a way to easily consolidate the damage roll into the attack roll, yeah?
That's not a terrible idea for a system, but it'd be an ungodly amount of work to convert 5e to that. You'd have to rebalance most of the game around that because of current assumptions about accuracy, AC, and health. With that much work I would suggest just playing something else.

Open Legend has a system where attacks deal damage equal to how much they exceed the target's defense score, which sounds like it's more-or-less what you're after. Maybe start there.

Alright good to know, I figure between 2 other martials, temp HP gain on kills, mobile and deflect missiles I won't need HP as much as other melee characters. Thanks.

ah fuck, I always get that shit mixed up. but I swear it happened.

>8th level party
>telekinesis is a 5th level warlock spell
>it can't be cast by a warlock until 9th level

>telekinesis doesn't work that way, even
>it could've been dominate person but he couldn't cast that, either.

??????????????

Also, 'nat one, luls isn't this ebic!!?!'

Target AC 15
If you hit a 20, add your strength damage
If you hit a 10, don't add your weapon damage.

Example.

Sword Zombie has an AC of 18
Fighter with 16 STR swings and gets a 14 to hit with a greatsword. He just barely clips the zombie doing 3 damage.

Fighter 2 with 16 STR hits AC24 on with his greatsword. Instead of doing 2d6+3, he will do 2d6+6

Or something like that.

>crit fails

Any of you ever use the list of 10000 magical effects? My DM rolls a d20 every time someone says a pun and on a 1 or 20 he consults the chart.

So within 5 under is modifiers only, 5 over and above is double modifiers? I could dig it. Would also work towards balancing GWM and SS.

He's thinking about the warlock's Awakened Mind telepathy. Range is only 30 feet though, so they must of sneaked gud.

lol epik win
thats so many epik wins xdxd

...I guess, yeah. I was so tunnel-visioned on the telekinesis bit that I missed the part right below the spell table for GOOlock.

Can neogaf fags leave

It probably ends up being a buff really. By level 6 everyone has like +10 to hit.

TELEPATHY. THANK YOU.

boy do I feel fuckin' stupid.

How are the Kensei monk and Conquest paladin subclasses from the UA's?

How about keeping low end, but making the double stat bonus 10 over AC then?

Could do that, or just do away with the top end altogether. But it sounded like you wanted range both ways.

Damn it.

You see, I think that creates a lot of potential for the artificer.
Since magic items are such a rare commodity, unique magic items can effectively be used as a substitute for class features.
Rather than having a new thing you do, you create a new gadget that does a new thing.
That said, the UA Artificer is very bare-bones, and to make this kind of character work properly would require it to be a good bit more complicated, which is difficult to balance in 5e which is fairly minimalist when it comes to rules, at least compared to 3.5 and 4e.
I would love to see a well realized artificer, rather than a guy that shoots gun every round and a has a couple of minor magical tricks and a robo owl.
Also what the fuck were they thinking giving them 1/4th casting?

Kensei is good. Not flashy but still evens out Monk's lower damage at higher levels. Conquest is eh. Fear seems like more of a defensive mechanic than offensive to me.

Likely old hat by now, but that Celestial Warlock from Xanathar's could be pretty cool.

>Level 6
>+10 to hit
Maybe if you're a fighter/ranger with a +1 bow. Everyone else is going to be slogging around at +7±1.

Do you think it would be broken if for each +5 over AC, it would add your str modifier again? How about +10?

Also, I was thinking, besides extra damage, being able to inflict some minor conditions (blindness, drop weapon) for 1 turn on target. That way fighting classes could offer more versatility in combat besides doing damage.

Only problem I see it might obfuscate other classes (like Monk) features.

i really want to run Tomb of Annihilation for my friends
but i have always had issues running modules
i know they do the majority of the work for me, but i often find myself saying "yeah just hold on one second guys" to flip through pages and find the next section pertaining to what im looking for
it really feels like it messes up the pacing of the game
anybody have any tips to help me get better at dealing with this?

I'd say take a look at fighter and other martial at will powers from 4e and convert. They do the things you want. But yeah, I would let the effect stack per +5/+10. The real question is say the PC rolls a 20 and hits at +15, do they throw double dice and also 4x Ability modifier?

Play 4e.