WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>The Bloody Hand will point the way!
youtube.com/watch?v=zXJ0pphsOkk

>Previous Thread(s):

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg
fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/dust-tactics/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for these pearly whites.

What color do I paint my IG/IQ?
Thinking of going black and red, but I'm open to ideas. Not really too decided on the theme for the force so far, so I'm open to a lot in terms of paint schemes.

Any ideas? They're going on tundra+snow bases. Maybe gray fatigues and then a drab green armor with white spots?

FedEx still hasn't dropped off my Shadespire so I find myself with no front and center projects at the moment.

Spent the last couple nights playing Relicblade so tonight I decided to do the second dude in my Space Marine Scout squad from my box of rescues.

Here he is with his base colours hastily blocked in.

You should remove the rivets from the chimera, will give it more of a sleek look. Only the best for the inquisition.

As for color,red armour black clothes.

reposting, thanks for kind words from last thread

the witch elf(?) heads work really well.

Thin your paints.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Just getting 12 of them done was a pain in the ass.

made a little progress, should get him done reasonably soon

WIP, you've probably got the answers to my questions. I'm trying to find some mechas that fit with herioc scale but aren't stupidly expensive, but are still at least semi-convertable. Anyone have any ideas or leads, because right now I've got Tau with heavy kitbashing and that's it.

Have you taken a look at

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

from the OP?

What kind of mecha are you looking for?

Have you looked at Dust Tactics from FFG?

fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/dust-tactics/

my friends and I are looking into LANCER and everyone's wanting to make their own mecha, so battlesuit mechs on a heroic scale is the most accurate description I can think of. Going through the OP list right now

Couple of Guardsmen finished up with my attempt at making an ammo box instead of spending as much as a whole other squad to get an upgrade kit from FW

And a rocket launcher I'm trying to repose mid reload.

Why do my 30 year-old pewter figurines have better anatomy than 90% of what's currently on the market?

Black, white, or grey primer? Mostly just do simple 3 color and a wash paint jobs.

depends on what colour you're painting, if you want bright then go white if not then go black or grey

Is grey an effective 'middle ground' or is it just the worst of both worlds?

Ok, depending on how much converting you're interested in don't discount IG Sentinels, AM Dragoons, Kataphrons, or if you have dosh to drop any of Forgeworld's AM automata as good sources of parts, even some ork stuff may have great stuff for arms and legs though I'm guessing the bodies will be a bit ramshackle for your taste.

Definitely look into Infiniti and Warmachine, I don't personally play them so I can't rattle of the kits but both have large exo-suit kind of models.

Don't be afraid to look outside gaming stuff entirely, try hitting up TOY for ideas about Gundam, Armored Core, or other mech kits/figures. Most "heroic" scale vehicles are hideously inconsistent in scale but are probably somewhere between 1:35 and 1:48

I was just thinking the same, just got a really old RT marine off ebay (the one the 2016 Imperial Space Marine is based off of) and I was surprised that the proportions aren't as retarded as modern ones.

Im almost sort of kind of maybe certain those are Dark Elf Execution heads? Stealing the idea by the way

hahhahahha I'm loving the IG johnny. 10/10

What started as minor exaggeration of traits to make them more practical to paint/more noticeable at distance evolved into a stylistic choice. The same trend can be followed in GW's art over the years of marines being 8 heads high to emphasize their size, to be 10 or 12 heads high because the artists is imitating and furthering the exaggeration without really understanding why.

That said I don't think its all bad as far as making weapons/faces/icons and other key details very easy to pick up even from across the board and most of the new stuff feels easier to paint despite the increased density of detail.

How do you properly spread liquid greenstuff so it'll fill those gaps? Paintbrush? Texture tool? I got two big gaps in my tank and I wanna make sure it'll go alright on there.

Finished my new super loyal completely not a traitor Ultramarine. See? Completely loyal, Ultramarine symbol and all. Looking forward to having him fight in the name of the Imperium!

Still working on the base but this paintjob was so fats and easy. I love it

the metallic blue is really nice, how'd you do it?

Icon is not subtle enough.

slighty watered down black imperal primer painted by hand with a quick spray of white directly onto the minature from above once the blacks dry of course.
>black areas you cant reach with your brush will look like shadows and not be white.
>the areas sprayed from above will simulate sunlight hitting the minature and make them appear more bright and vibrant.
>the black areas not reached by by the white will appear darker and gloomier.
but by all means it only works on certain models.
>spray predominantly white minatures white.
>spray predominanty black minatures black.
as for black and white well gray I guess.

Oy oy oy!

That tutorial I never save. Leadbelcher layered with Runefang Steel, then two coats of Guilliman Blue glaze, then one coat of Waywatcher Green glaze, then one final layer of Guilliman Blue

Shit that's subtle as fuck. Might need to redo mine now

I wasn't talking about just GW, though. For example, I scored some ancient pewter Shadowrun minis years ago and as some of them are a bit worse for the wear I went shopping for new ones (perhaps with a bit more detail, as as well) only to find that I can't find any-fucking-thing that isn't stylized to a completely retarded degree. I get that there have to be some liberties here and there for the sake of making it intelligible but you have to draw a line somewhere. Even with the potato-tier detail on those minis I still like them more than pretty much anything Reaper makes and that's incredibly disappointing.

Orkstralians

I know some of you people are working on non-GW stuff. Post it! Whether it's Infinity, Warmahordes, or whatever, post it!

You chuck it into the garbage, buy some real greenstuff, and full those gaps the right way.

This one, user?

Or was it this one, instead?

This one

Mate I don't think you understand what really really old GW minis look like.

That grain is on the metal itself. It's horrifying, I know.

And here he is finished, fun little way to spend an hour or so tonight.

I miss painting undead though.

I got that too. Just push it in and scrape off the excess and hope it sticks?

needed another engineseer. not super happy with it but its ok.

Together with the one I painted a couple weeks ago.

Having these dudes sitting on my desk to paint when I've got nothing else to do is pretty handy, and eventually I'll have all of them done and can use them for Shadow War or something.

Im Sorry you miss the undead broski.

I miss them too.

Looking nice so far. What chapter?

What is your greatest strength?
What is your greatest weakness?
What are you trying to learn or improve on?

>What is your greatest strength?
sculpting
>What is your greatest weakness?
motivation
>What are you trying to learn or improve on?
getting shit done

Was working on this Swarmlord awhile back, finally got around to reposing his legs. Now working on his arms. Any thoughts and/or ideas?

Sword arm biomorph. Not really liking the blade part. I may plasticard out a blade similar to the old metal rectangular one (the same shape as the horn he has on now)

Crotch graspers, for grabbing you firmly while he rapes you

looks great man, might apropriate some of those ideas for a nid custom i wanna do eventually.

Does anybody have a tutorial for painting oiled-up looking skin? I want to paint some Barbarians that'd make Frazetta proud.

why not brush on some thinned down gloss varnish at the very end?

I'm mostly talking about the tanned-orangeish skintone.

>paint like normal skin
>cover miniature in fake tan

Seriously though, Franzetta used bodybuilders as anatomical reference, but I never noticed them looking orange in his paintings.

In any case you basically answered your own question. Just mix some orange into your regular skintones and you should get the fake tan look. Though on a miniature that may just look like you grabbed the wrong paint pot.

So i posted this guy last week (top) asking for feedback.

I retouched the red decreasing the highlight and bonewhite on the grip to make it cleaner.
Added some black highlighting which seems a bit strong but it's not so eye catching in a normal daylight. And the obvious - basing + blood effect.

I'm calling him done because I feel like I'm in the spot where further fixing and retouching can bring more harm than good.

I'm moving to the next guy but I'd appreciate to hear out your opinion anons.

Ok, here's a comparison between some newer PMs which are still a little unfinished, versus the DI chaps I did a few months ago.

I'm a little stuck on the weathering issue; I think I went too far with the older ones, but I think the newer ones look a little too clean - though I'm more fond of them. Thoughts?

Do I: A. try and tidy up the old ones, B. dirty up the new ones, C. strip the old ones completely and do them cleanly over again, or D. quit painting forever

>but I think the newer ones look a little too clean - though I'm more fond of them
The whole point is to do what you like. You don't need to add weathering at all. It's just fashionable at the moment.
If you like them better with the clean look you 100% should go with that.

Also from what I can tell in the pics it doesn't look like the old minis would look out of place next to the new ones. I'd say as long as it is obvious they are part of the same army you don't have to do anything, but cleaning them up is definitely gonna be easier than repainting them completely. It looks to like you'd basically just have to paint back a few places with the base color of the armor to brighten them up a little.

>buy secondhand dread
>appears to be leaning backwards slightly
>was connected via plastic glue

Guess I gotta get sawing

I suppose I meant it more in the sense of "I'm not sure I'm happy with the weathering I've done" more than not liking weathering, but I get what you mean

Thanks for the feedback

>I'm not sure I'm happy with the weathering I've done" more than not liking weathering
So what kind of weathering do you like then? Do you have an example picture or something? Maybe someone can help you figure out how to get there.

or base it in a way that the lean makes sense.

is that an intentional Geordi La Forge?

>>is that an intentional Geordi La Forge?
Old metal scout my man.

how'd you make the Nurgle's Rot at the base seem so liquid-y and glossy? Do you use a gloss varnish after several layers of the thing?

>file name
I'm slightly perturbed

it's my perfect bait image

It works

They're sisters of slaughter heads

My Zerkers are getting close to being finished.

Personally, i think the older ones look better, so i'd go with B. Then again, i like it dirty.

More progress. Really like the turbines at the top. Gives a really top heavy and intimidating look to the prince

I need for suggestions on how to properly paint my Skittari, and maybe some tips for detailing their robes.
I'm sure I messed up on the robes as they aren't very smooth, probably should have smoothed my paints more

That's a really nice model, the leather boots don't really work with it though.
Have you tried converting them into armor?

I gave that a try in the building state but it really didn't work at all. I'm quite happy with the boots now that they're finished, given that i'm going for a very, very low-tech thing for my zerkers.

From the front it looks alright, but the back. Holy shit.

If you prime black you can easily build up to an even white coat if you do some grey inbetween. You can also paint straight white, but you'll need at least four coats to get even coverage.

Imo the better way to do this would be to prime white.

How do you paint them, any subassemblies? I mean you have to get under their coatsomehow, so Maybe prime the torso etc white and the legs black. Painting black over white is easier than the other way around so you also just prime white altogether and do the face, legs and chest in black before you do anything else.

But to get the back of that minis smooth you probably have to use some fine grade sandpaper.
On the upside it looks like you are gonna do fine with the freehand with a bit of practice.

Nearly finished my duardin Gunmaster conversion, thoughts?

Ultramarines, though I am color blind. Does it look good, user?

Pretty good, well done.

A tophat is what I'm feeling for some odd reason, he looks very elegant

The rope on his thigh could do with another brown shade and there's a little bit of skin on the headcowl, easily fixed with some black wash I think.

Get some dirt pigment and make a squad of filthy rad-compromised troops to hide that thick paint. That's the only thing I can think of to save it a little without stripping.

Next time prime white or bone or a light grey?

I prefer to gloss coat my old metal models because they chip easier and I enjoy the shiny look. I've had mixed luck with Ard Coat. Do you thin it at all? Some of my minis look good, but others turned out with cloudy spots and a bit of a clumpy look.

>Old metal scout my man.

I think he's asking if you were deliberately *trying* to make him look like Geordi La Forge. I'd have say it's damn near unavoidable, given the sculpt.

I use panduro myself. It comes in a large bottle, it's cheap and easy to apply. If it's too shiny, throwing on some matte medium of their brand fixes it easily.

2 THICK coats, given time enough to dry

Back in the day those things were really cool. Some Eldar sculpts have them too.

I had spray painted the components black and painted each part separate until I glued it together when I thought I had finished.
I did use a grey base on top of the black undercoat before applying my white layer (abbadon>celestra grey>ulthuan grey)
Also, how do I base coat white? Often when spray painting in white scar it looks awful (pic related) any tips on that?

>oi, whut a feelin
>when yer fightin on da ceeling

Love those looted-armor boyz.

I do have some agrax earthsade, but my model comes out looking worse with the details I wanted to hide becoming far too obvious. Is there a method to shades and pigments?

>any tips on that?
That kind of looks like the can wasn't shaken enough.

This is seriously important. When the can says shake for several minutes you really need to shake it for several minutes.

If it's super cold where you are and you are working with a can that has already been used a few times it can also help to warm it up a little. It's a pressurized container, so you obviously shouldn't overdo it, but carrying it around in your armpit for a little while can help build up the pressure.

There are also a bunch of other external factors besides temperature when spraying than can influence your results like humidity for example.
It's a good idea to take a piece of sprue with your minis and spraycan, so you can just test on that and see how the paint looks before committing to spraying the minis.

Anybody work with ForgeWorld's Elysian infantry models? Thinking of making a custom regiment and cobbling some bits together, but I worry that the Tempestus and Cadian anatomy bits will look too chunky when mixed in the the Elysian ones. Are the Elysian models actually as skinny as they look?

Yeah, you might have better luck using historial minis. Warlord and Perry stuff should look right next to Elysians.
They are basically truescale instead of heroic. Krieg is also closer to truescale, but they are a lot taller than most people.

Depends a bit on what you intend to use though. Unhelmeted head from the GW plastic heads may look a tad to big. If you want to use the hellguns and powerpacks you should be fine.
Cadians are fuck huege next to a truescale miniature though, so I'd be careful there.

Victoria miniatures has female arm bits that look right on truescale miniatures, if that is what you are after.

I hope to see some MTO Eldar WIPs here in about a month. Did you pick up any of them?

Emperor's Teeth! I forgot. Is it still going on? I wanted that Bonesinger!

I was tempted but I never collected Eldar. And I already have a shitton of 40k models. And WHFB models. And a bunch of models from other systems.
And then there is the HF Halloween sale. I'd rather give them my money.

If GW decides to redo some of the Necromunda minis, specifically the Arbites I'll be all over that though.

i think you got about 5 days left, fear not.