/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/chronicles-of-darkness-dark-eras-2/posts/2018962
>This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/a-month-on-mars-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
Favorite kinds of settings?
>5th edition cliffnotes
pastebin.com/cp0r59da
>New Deviant preview
theonyxpath.com/one-of-a-kind-deviant-the-renegades/

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/open?id=1_xw9emmw638bi6rnoAXRdwWG1po66KfYFo8E26FMgfI
forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?817741-RPG-Industry-sexual-harassment-Mentzer-abuse-and-what-do-we-do-about-it&p=21452521#post21452521
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

post yfw no sequel

Cities in the state of urban decay

>left my local LARP chapter
>will never get to play my sneaky mekhet jew

>larp
Disgusting

On a serious note tho why did you leave

>why did you leave
Nerds in large groups are insufferable. There's only so much sperg and drama I can handle per month.

I only attended one LARP(vtm) back in my life but yeah. Experience wasn't worth repeating

Why wasn't there a Wraith Anniversary edition? Was it because the game is so unpopular?

Wraith 20 is being made. It's just three years late. It definitely seems popular enough, since it got like 300,000 bucks on Kickstarter when the goal was only a sixth of that.

Hopefully not by Brucato.

No, by some other guy who is taking his sweet ass time.

What other kinds of undead are there in ChroD ? Specifically intelligent ones (I already know about Kuei-Jin, not a big fan)

Wraith was the most unpopular game WW published (besides mummy maybe) but it's also the one that is considered the peak of WW's creativity and genius. It's just that Onyx are the laziest shits on the planet.

There aren't any Kuei Jin in ChroD

I meant Jiang-Shi
Slant eyed leeches, whatever

I think owod mummy might be the biggest looser here. People at least heard about Oblivion

Wraith is a fantastic setting, but the game is nearly unplayable. Surprisingly, as compared to most WoD games, you're really weak - As in, you're REALLY, REALLY WEAK. This is mainly because you're not a superhuman, you're a completely average citizen of the afterlife.

It doesn't help that Arcanoi are extremely weak (and the useful Arcanoi are utterly useless to the long-time goal of resolving your spiritual issues). Hell, I'd argue that just having a sword and a soulsteel breastplate is better than having four levels of an Arcanoi.

And God help you if you actually get into a fight with a Specter. They will fuck your shit up. Don't get me started on trying to affect the real world, too. It's hard to stress how much it sucks to be a Wraith.

Richard Dansky. The dude worked on games tech for a while - making big bucks from Ubisoft. He isn't the problem. It's currently in proofing - the endless back-and-forth between Onyx Path, the Swedish Overlords and the printers until all three are happy with the end result. How long is a piece of string? That's how long it can take.

Mummy 2nd fucking rocks. It's just a shame Resurrection sucked. Why did they kill off the immortals? Why did they replace them with something that feels like an Egyptian-themed Hunter the Reckoning? They didn't even include all the basic rules, so you need another core rulebook to play. I haven't read it yet to find out what they replaced something so vital with, or why Resurrection needed to be so different.

Mummy 2nd was a fantastic meditation on getting older and what it can do to the mind. They made amazing frenemies with Kindred, because only another immortal could really understand. Their powers were awesome, and their enemies - the Bane mummies - were basically Freak Legion Live From Cairo.

Hey, now I think about it, how come the Spell of Life failed for the Shemsu-Heru but didn't fail for other cultural Mummies or the Bane Mummies? I'm just going to mine the book for ideas and ditch the rest of the drokk.

What's the difference between Mummy owod and nwod ?

I've never played owod mummy. Was interested in cofds The Curse but while I like the ideas and mechanics I have hard time selling it to my players.

What is the pitch for owod Mummy?

>summer ends
>so do the stupid powerwanks
>general dies
hmmmm,

Give me ideas for cool magic stuff, please. More in spirit of Unknown Armies than World of Darkness.

I would, but unfortunately I don't know shit about magic in Unknown Armies. I know a lot about magic in CofD/WoD though. Unsurprisingly, since this is the thread for those settings.

>I would, but unfortunately I don't know shit
Postmodern shit.
Injustice from AR and Fear-Powered Cellphone from IEwtA — good examples of this.

Which one? 1st/2nd ed and M:tR are rather different as 56020898 mentioned.

You'll have to forgive me, I'm uncultured. Pretty much everything you said just flew right over me. I never even learned what postmodern means.

Awkward...

It's my fault. I made the thread around page 8 or so but I put off linking it so that those fucking morons wouldn't immediately transfer their bullshit over. I decided to wait it out and wound up waiting too long.

It's a shit game anyway.

Barely salvageable.

That's way i gave examples of what I meant by that.

God damnit I just want a Geist preview already

And I have no idea what they are.

>I know a lot about magic in CofD/WoD though

Are we just handing them out

Were they from there? I didn't recognize them.

Prometheans, Mummies, all these pretty little undeads from first chapter of WoD: Antagonists.

You're idiot or just pretending to be idiot?

Maybe someday we make thread great again.

Damn, user. I'm just trying to help you out. But I shouldn't be surprised. I recognize you now, you're the non-native English speaker who was shitposting up a storm in the last thread in some dumb pissing contest.

>coming from the guy who is making it worse

>I'm just trying to help you out
You're not doing so well, my idiotic friend.

I have no idea what you mean. Nevermind.

So it turns out Matthew "BlackHatMatt" McFarland of Beast fame is apparently a (child) rapist. Some classic quotes in response.

>This puts Beast in a way creepier and even worse light. Something that I honestly thought was impossible.

>Yes, this recontextualizes beast, and not in a good way. Before it was just misguided adolescent wish fulfillment that really could have used an editor.
>Now it's "Matt McFarland's personal wish fulfillment where he gets to abuse power over people and is super cool for doing so."

Do you have any more details than that? My 4th favorite feature of LARPs is watching the drama.

Tumbling down tumbling down tumbling dooooown

So how soon do you reckon they'll announce the CtL 2nd edition kickstarter.

Coming together and shitting on beast is one of my favorite things.

Tbh I expected it to be launched by the end of last week... so now I am confused.

I converted Hsien to Revised LARP because they said it couldn't be done.

drive.google.com/open?id=1_xw9emmw638bi6rnoAXRdwWG1po66KfYFo8E26FMgfI

>Hsien to Revised LARP
Just in time for revised LARP to no longer be used and for BNS Dreaming to take over. Still. A nice effort.

OWBN will never switch to BNS

A pity, because many "Laws of" games have trash nearly unuseable rules that don't actually support playing a deeper dive into the lore of the games, so its just as barren with worse rules than BNS. Mage especially. Laws of Ascension, while filled with great larp running advice, is lacking in a lot of ways.

Anyone try running a game with the infinite macabre book?

Explain the whole Beast thing to me like I'm someone who only occasionally pops into these threads. As briefly and loosely as possible to allow for an understanding without asking too much of you.

>Matt is the kind of virtue signalling tool that called everyone who criticized him on beast an 'MRA'. The actual contents of beast are less than relevant, at least to me.

A game where you play as humans with the spirit of monster. You feed on the fear of humans to survive. It wants to be an objective lesson on what people are willing to do to survive. But people reacted poorly so the final draft was rewritten and now it has this holier than thou sjw hypocritical vibe all about it.

>my words can't make you feel things. You're choosing to feel that way
Triggering doesn't exist, you're choosing to be hysterical t. rpg.net

Child rapist slightly left of Karl Marx makes a wholly unnessecary splat about unapologetically evil monsters in human bodies who are actually justified in tormenting people because it teaches them "lessons". Their splat antagonists are basically autistic super-hunters, all the examples of which are strawmen of opinions the writer didn't like.

Also some really forced cross splat stuff about how beasts are "family" of the other supernatural splats.

It was a dumpster fire and everyone in the threads shat on it.

Its true though. You can't actually make anyone feel anything. They choose to react in that way.

A diverse assortment of people of color and sexualities are secretly hosts to spirits from the realm of horror and terror. These people have their lives dominated by their need/desire to hurt people and justify their abuse/murder with paper thin pretexts about how their victims deserve it that's one part moralistic nonsense and one part story book nonsense. Opposing them are Heroes aka Gaston: the Decorating who are basically so thoroughly in the right that the writers had to make them baby eating monsters to justify why they are the bad guys.

There's literally nothing wrong with Salubri.

Fuq of papist

So... the game is a justification for being a sociopath?

>The actual contents of beast are less than relevant, at least to me.

Even if you can get past the the tween power revenge fantasy of Beast, the mechanics and setting still suck. Beasts have no established motivations, culture or institutions. Except for being unfocused jerks, there's nothing established for them to do. The original intent was that the lack of social organizations would be not be needed as beasts would piggyback on other "family," i.e. the other splats in crossover, but the basis for family was ham-fisted, playing Beast shouldn't require a library of other books, and deasts are so inherently unlikable that most players of other splats would rather not play at all that deal with beasts.

Beast was an experiment. The experiment has clearly failed. I hope that when Dave is tweaking Deviant, he learns from Matt's ample mistakes so that we don't have two new splats that are failures.

Nailed it.

Proddies have the virgin Camarilla while the Chad Sabbat is all papists and orthos.

>Child rapist slightly left of Karl Marx
erm what?

>18 years ago
Doesn't really count for much but at least its good to hear.
Should I try posting my re written opening fiction here or in some other content thread when its done?

The lead developer of Beast was very liberal, and had a less than consensual sexual activity with a minor.

Another user posted it earlier in the thread.

>very liberal
>left of Karl Marx

Does anyone even know what words mean anymore

Lots of people who self identify as liberal like Marx.

It's pretty stupid.

That doesn't put a liberal on the left if Karl Marx. Molly Klein is someone to the left of Marx, a Standard American Democrat isn't even close.

I think he was going for hyperbole.

is the screenshot posted the only source we have? What thread's that from?

I'd play Gaston; the decorating without hesitation. Shame that they tried really hard to not let heroes be playable

I'm not actually sure. I think the screenshot is from RPG.net.

Its from RPG.net, but they almost immediately demanded people cease conversation on the topic.

forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?817741-RPG-Industry-sexual-harassment-Mentzer-abuse-and-what-do-we-do-about-it&p=21452521#post21452521

Hey, in Hunter the Vigil (1st edition) can you have a compact AND a conspiracy?

I don't think so, it's like trying to be part of the FBI and the marines at the same time. Sure you can change from one to the other, but being both at once isn't really doable.

Seem more like trying to be part of the FBI and the neighbourhood soccer team.

Nah, the local soccer team is closer to a cell.

A county football team might be closer to a compact

So, Matt was removed as a mod at rpg.net.

I have no basis to determine the truth or falsity of the serious allegations against him, no less from 18 years ago.

However, these type things are inevitable among a crowd who lives by identity politics on a website who proudly proclaims part of its mission is "social justice."

"La révolution dévore ses enfants"

sounds like big purple
shame. I wanted the juicy deets.

That's a bit easier on the schedule, I'd liken it to local cell, which is more doable. Thing is, most compacts exist with a certain ethic in mind, and none really match up.

I could buy a Long Night Hunter seeing a Malleus Malfecarium Hunter in action, and converting over to the MM, because of the miracles he witnessed.

But he can't exactly remain a Long Night member. He now has a new organization that demands from him the same commitment in time and mind that his last one did. He can't really have his loyalties in two places.

Vigil pg 73.

In Beast the actual villains are said to be MRAs. That type of criticism is the content of Beast.

It's probably a preventive effort, if this turns out to be true you can kiss Beast ever being successful goodbye

>But people reacted poorly so the final draft was rewritten and now it has this holier than thou sjw hypocritical vibe all about it.

The earlier drafts was actually worse about that, if you can imagine it.

People on Veeky Forums shouldn't throw stones when it comes to issues around sex with underaged teenagers, consent issues or shady pasts. You all know what I'm talking about, it's called /b/.

That said, I think this changes Heroes to something very different. No longer crazy, vicious psychopaths willing to take down a Beast regardless of criminal or collateral damage - Heroes are literally abuse survivors that will do anything to avenge themselves on the asshole responsible. Matt McFarland wrote this because he fears that girl - and presumably others - coming back for him and his life with a fucking wrecking ball. "But what about my wife? What about my kids? What about my job?" The Hero doesn't care. The Beast must be slain.

>Not playing a Beast that goes on school shootings to teach parents, teachers and children the important Lesson that they aren't bulletproof
It's for their own good user, don't oppress poor beasts.

The leaked and then Kickstarter drafts were *much* worse than the final book. I still recall Matt scrambling to rewrite during the Kickstarter, adding things like "lessons." It was a foolish endeavor. The final product would have been "better" it OPP took their time, considered all the criticism, and then slowly and methodically reworked the book.

>Not playing a Beast that goes on school shootings to teach parents, teachers and children the important Lesson that they aren't bulletproof

>Beware, Prelates of the General control the NRA.
>I've said too much...

I found the early drafts much better. They at least weren't filled with beasts as gaslighters message present with the 'teaching' rape-tastic aspect added after.

Like what? I found an old copy of Laws of the Hunt in my garden shed and I don't see the problems.

Stygia is lovely this time of year...