What are the best game systems for Pulp and why?

What are the best game systems for Pulp and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

thealexandrian.net/wordpress/1118/roleplaying-games/three-clue-rule
thealexandrian.net/wordpress/15151/roleplaying-games/game-structures-part-5-mysteries
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8z4Cy1zaGU1RWRiRnBlR1k2dDA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

OSR or a BRP-family system

They're closest to the source material. New D&D heavily diverged, Chaosium stayed the course after making their own version of OD&D.

White wolf put out an old game called Adventure! that was specifically trying to play pulp adventures. Not sure how worth it it is since it's from old white wolf and most of their stuff from that era was mechanically kinda iffy. That and there's only a corebook.

> BRP
Pulp Cthulhu perhaps?

Savage Worlds, obviously.

Fate. It was literally designed in its first version for pulp fiction style games and it's held true to that ever since.

Savage Worlds, no question. Pulp was the whole idea. There's even a maneuver to shoot the chandelier down on your foes.

Spirit of the Century, for more pulp Fate specifics.

Hollow Earth Expedition is another pulp game.

Bump

>Pulp was the whole idea

And gothic vampires was the whole idea behind World of Darkness, but it turned out to be a superhero system if you look at the mechanics. Intentions don't guarantee results.

what is chaosium own version of OD&D?

Seconding this.

thealexandrian.net/wordpress/1118/roleplaying-games/three-clue-rule
thealexandrian.net/wordpress/15151/roleplaying-games/game-structures-part-5-mysteries

Savage Worlds is awesome for pulp. Flexible enough to allow for easy crazy shit but it's still with a lethal edge.

Seconding Spirit of the Century. They even put out a huge-ass reference book (reads like an encyclopedia) that collects everything pulp ever.

It's not specifically built for it but the Hero System is great for Pulp.

I'm a big fan of Savage Worlds, but I'm very interested to try Ubiquity/Hollow Earth Expedition.

I was gonna try and post the pdf but its too big, so here
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8z4Cy1zaGU1RWRiRnBlR1k2dDA
Faces the same set of issues as all early white wolf games. Second edition coming out soon(tm) apperently but even thats gonna be a couple years I'd say, they need to get through aeon and aberrant first.

I love these old covers.

Fun fact: Young Isaac Asimov's first crush was on the snake-like alien Moon Mother from the cover story right here. He was one of us from an early age. (source: Asimov's "Before the Golden Age")

Spirit of the century