/STG/ - Star Trek General

What Could Have Been Edition

Previous Thread: A thread for discussing the 'Star Trek' franchise and its various tabletop adaptations.

Possible topics include Modiphius' new rpg 'Star Trek Adventures', WizKids miniatures game 'Star Trek: Attack Wing', and Gale Force Nine's board game 'Star Trek: Ascendancy', as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and the Star Trek universe in general.

Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures
-Official Modiphius Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>modiphius.com/star-trek.html
-PDF Collection
>mediafire.com/folder/0w33ywljd1pdt/Star_Trek_Adventures

Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

Star Trek: Attack Wing
-Official WizKids Page (Rules, FAQ and Player Resources)
>wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

Star Trek: Ascendancy (Rules and Player Resources)
-Official Gale Force Nine Page
>startrek.gf9games.com/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP

Other urls found in this thread:

sto.gamepedia.com/Design_Your_Ship
sto.gamepedia.com/Lukari_Community_Ship_Building
chakoteya.net/movies/movie2.html
youtube.com/watch?v=i41aEtE0iYs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>meep meep
>*warps away*

Tell me about that awesome Star Trek book/book series idea you had that you'll never write, /stg/

*warps behind you*
psshh...nothin personnel, kid

The TNG Enterprise finds a abandoned Federation station. They can't teleport but they take a shuttle and they find the place is all blooded and stuff. Then they find multiple time displaced versions of Commander Riker who try to kill our Riker because they blame him for trapping them there.

That's literally the plot of Discovery.

Pic related, set in the Dominion War.

A horta in Starfleet is sent on an undercover mission on Tholia.

"Bride of Chaotica" in reverse. The crew of the USS Who Cares end up in a dimension where life is photonic and biological life is a simulation created for recreational purposes. The crew needs to somehow team up with the simulated life in order to escape before the biodeck cannibalizes them.

STO flash sale: Tier 5 ships 30% off.
might pick up the andorian ships, desu. they're cross faction, right?

So what is the optimal way to run STA if you want to do it for a protracted campaign? TNG Era seems the way forward, but do you try and follow the events of the show or come up with your own canon or what.

What does /stg/ think?

You totally do your own thing. Don't even mention the show characters except in passing at a starbase news outlet or something (e.x. "the crew of the Enterprise was involved in a Starfleet action to prevent the Romulans from influencing the Klingon Civil War"). Don't actually show them or let them get involved with your crew.

The way I'm going to do it, when I can arrange my players, is that they'll be on a prototype ship taking her out for her shakedown and then initial assignment as a deep-space recon and border patrol ship. Space adventures will ensue.

This one is my Dad's, from the late 70s.

After the Enterprise crew is court-martialed and largely drummed out of Starfleet, Sulu and Chekhov begin a black-market business scavenging and running weapons and components from old battlefields. They make a killing but quietly loathe each other, and bicker like old married women for 90% of the show. Often through the intercom or a robot intermediary. Spends a lot of time developing the Orions and Andorian Separatists.

Lord no. Federation only.

oh, good thing I didn't grab em yet. how often do these flash sales happen?

>might pick up the andorian ships, desu. they're cross faction, right?
Reasonably sure they're Fed-only, alas. Otherwise my Klink Andorian would already have one.

...Shit. I hope my "buy" order on Zen when through when it was at ~280dl last night.

Post-DS9 era, always. Tons of stories to tell about various factions, entire setting is a blank slate with the exception of Nemesis, Voyager returning, and Romulus exploding, DS9 and Ent-E crews are off doing their own shit. Even TNG-era there's too much worrying about established canon.

I'd say go episodic with it. have an overall arc of events you may want to follow but avoid the usual rpg stuff of having a BBEG to defeat. Reoccurring antagonists though are a plus. But the basic set-up of a starship crew is ideal for just throwing different ideas at a group. Let things escalate and grow naturally, cycle in and out characters because STA encourages the use of supporting characters to avoid a couple of people doing everything whilst other characters tag along problem.

fairly sure they're federation

Also, do the federation not have stairs in their ship, there a few times when turbo-lifts are down or inaccessible and people are like "I had to spend an hour crawling through Jeffries tubes to get here"

surely even one staircase near the computer core would solve this problem

>do the federation not have stairs in their ship
No, because they're not volume efficient and starships aren't that big.

>surely even one staircase near the computer core would solve this problem
This is actually a thing though, most ships have multi-deck computer cores and warp cores and so have ladders running alongside them so people can get up and down the core without issue.

There have been ships with stairs in their deck plans, but those are always technically non-canon, even if they're done by the show's visual designers and included in the show bible.

>No one remembers the Typhon

Pic related, set on post-Dominion Cardassia.

Star Trek/Starship Troopers crossover, I literally just had the idea.

>Come on guys, we don't need to give this fighter carrier any more armaments than a single pulse phaser turret.
>We don't even need to install any targeting software, just put one of the pilot inside it any time we need to use it

>that ugly monstrosity will never be in STO as a frigate carrier
Feels bad

>Starship Troopers is just another Mirror Universe.

I can dig it.

Do you remember how Worf was in that game, for reasons? I do.

Also, STA3 has the Typhon class as the carrier capital ship for the Feddies and it is glorious. I've built an entire fleet of Typhons, Curries, and Sabers (to screen for the carriers) and run people the fuck over with it. Good times.

Yeah, instead we got this fella.

They're even named the Federation too.

I actually quite like that, looks like some sort of bulk transport

please tell me it looks better from another angle, all I'm seeing is this

1/3

2/3

3/3

It amazingly looks worse. I want my Typhon-class, not this fat angular four-nacelled disaster.

oh god it's even worse

where do they get these designs from?

there's so many better fan designs out there that they could base something off or even just pay a little to use in game

pic related is just a design I like, not a good example because it's so small

Book or film Starship Troopers?

You have yet to see the worst.

The Jupiter was created by public polls they ran on their forums. I personally wanted one of the other designs to win, but oh well. We got the people's choice.

That's a canon design though. Cryptic didn't make that.

It may be Canon, but it's just too big and flat.

Sad but true.

sto.gamepedia.com/Design_Your_Ship

Later still they held a similar poll on the Kentari space dorito.

sto.gamepedia.com/Lukari_Community_Ship_Building

Amen to that.
>Translators note: the ship above the Universe class is a tiny bit longer than Sovereign class.

A Galaxy class literally fits inside the main deflector of a Universe. It's just too over the top, canon or not.

as in pick completed designs or pick style and we make it

I think the saucer is very flat an featureless but I quite like the nacelles

Indeed.

As in check the links here to see

I'm inclined to go post-Nemesis so there are no canon future events to worry about.

That looks like something out of Star Wars. Actually more like something out of some obscure sci-fi setting that's trying to be Star Wars.

Sigma, Alpha and Epsilon Are OK

I can't believe the final design won that

This is a muddling of the issue. Yes there were polls but they were variants of Cryptic designs. It wasn't like the Odyssey where people submitted actual designs. The designs were also all-or-nothing, you couldn't vote for, as an example, Alpha saucer with Sigma hull and Theta nacelles if that's what you wanted.

The only point I want to make is that there were better options that lost and instead we got perhaps the worst option available. It's possible Cryptic's ugly designs are actually popular.

It came down to a bunch of people wanking over it being 'alpha vs omega!!!!1!' Personally I was for Epsilon, but Beta and Theta were also interesting by having more traditional layouts.

I swear to god that as soon as I saw all the designs being up to choose from for the Lukari, I knew that the U.S.S. Cool Ranch would be chosen. I sear on me mum I did.

ONE MORE THING:

Not two weeks ago, I wanted a quad nacelle galaxy class with the saucer rotated 90 degrees and the neck lowered so bad that I actually started to look up someone to comission to make it.

And then the Miracle Workers were shown.
Cryptic had one job...

It's a solid combat carrier in the Armada 3 mod for Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion. I always end up with two or three because of how nasty its fighters and bombers are. Don't usually play Fed though, more often pic related.

>saucer rotated 90 degrees
Too me a moment to realise you didn't mean this.

90 degrees horizontal or vertical?

USS pizza cutter would be an interesting design

But there is one though.
Hobus and Romulus going Boom

Hobus is STO only. Romulus explodes but that's 8 years after Nemesis so plenty of time to go on Romulan-related adventures before worrying about the supernova.

If I understood it correctly the view CBS has at least for the moment is that Hobus exploding and taking out Romulus happened in Prime Universe and happened as Spock said it did in the first JJtrek film.

>how nasty its fighters and bombers are
Huh? I haven't played it all that much but my experience with fighters in that game was that they were always dead.

What was portrayed in the JJTrek film is canon to the prime timeline. Hobus itself is not part of that.

The explosion coming from an entity called 'Hobus' isn't part of canon. My headcanon is that the star that blew up was the one Romulus orbits because nothing else really makes sense.

It depends on the mod, really. Fighters and bombers in Armada last significantly longer than, say, any of the star wars mods (or vanilla). They can still get nuked if your opponent has two dozen AA ships, but if that keeps them from shooting your other ships for a bit, then it all evens out. Plus I think the high-tier fighters the Feds get have increased dodge and health compared to everyone else.

Fag. Using the Borg is basically just cheating in Armada 3, especially if you do the Flagship victory condition, since your Diamond can just run around smoking everything for the first half of the game.

I was talking specifically about Armada. Fighters seem significantly worse here than I remember them being in the base game. But like I said, I haven't played the Armada mod that much so maybe I was just using them wrong. Also, it was the Romulan fighters which seemed to super suck. I might not have actually used them all that much in the Fed game I played.

>play Armada 3 mod
>Borg Cube has more health than a fully upgraded Romulan Starbase

Well then. That's certainly a different take on it than the original Armada where the difference between a Cube and a Sovereign was pretty much just that the Cube had an Assimilation Beam and the Sovereign had the Corbomite Reflector.

But which would be the best father?

Are you kidding? Kirk let his son grow up into adulthood without him around, and then when he finally does show up he starts a chain of events that gets his son killed within days.

Obviously the answer is Sisko

Kirk didn't even know that David existed, and Sisko didn't even say goodbye to Jake when he left to be with the Profits, so no on both counts

In armada 3 the Borg are just fucking scary.
If yo ucant curb stomp them early game, make sure to ally yourself with some other factions and then start throwing maxed out fleets at them with your allies.
It's the only way.

Picard just hates kids, he'd probably hire some Vulcan nanny or ditch you with his asshole brother and run off back into space

>Borg Cube has more health than a fully upgraded Romulan Starbase
The stickler there is that starbases take reduced damage from everything that isn't a siege ship (who burn through them stupid fast), while cubes die just as easily as any other capital ship, just takes longer.
The Borg ARE strong, but they're a slow burn faction, and they're handicapped by a complete absence of strike craft (among other things). Their starter frigates are tough but lack torpedoes, and their research is ungodly expensive. To beat them, you have to pin them down early and keep them from expanding too much - Once they get those sweet, sweet logistic slots and can start pumping out Pyramids and god help you Spheres, you're fucked. Hell, I would prioritize their cruisers over cubes any day - fully upgraded spheres are capital ships in their own right. However, it's getting to that point where they're most vulnerable.

They have the same arguments leveled against them that the Necrons in BFG did, but they're far from unbeatable - you just might have to play differently than usual. I like a slow steady expansion, but that doesn't work against the Borg, you really have to jump on them quick and harass the shit out of them. The Klingons are great at this, as an aside.

>Profits
t. Ferengi

Picard. Kirk didn't know he had a son and when he found out, he got him killed in short order. Picard couldn't do worse than that.

>spoiler
He did alright, sure, but then again, Jake didn't turn out to be much, so he couldn't have been amazing.

Holy shit the Borg are fucked up. You can take them on solo though, if you seriously overpower them with upgrades.

Borg really shouldn't be a playable faction in competative games. In order to be proper Borg they need to be overpowered.

Though a game all about playing as the collective and trying to assimilate the whole galaxy could be interesting.

Well then id recommend you try out Stellaris.
It recently got a new expansion (pay up federation!) where you can play as a synthetic civilization.
With the options being to either becomea caretaker for organics, annihilate organics a'la matrix by turning them into meat batteries till they die or add them to the collective.

>Kirk didn't know he had a son

This is a cool meme, but I don't know where you guys are getting it from?

Wrath of Khan? He showed up and was like "who the fuck is that? Is he my kid?" and showed surprise when he was told it was. Maybe he knew in a theoretical way but not in an actual "I have experience with this person" way.

>He showed up and was like "who the fuck is that? Is he my kid?"
Which is why Kirk was all like "oh hey David, what up?"

>not in an actual "I have experience with this person" way.
Which is why David refers to Kirk as "That overgrown boyscout you used to hang out with?"

Also,
>I did what you wanted, I stayed away. Why didn't you tell him?
>You had your world and I had mine, and I wanted him in mine, not chasing through the universe with his father.

They were playing with ambiguity since the audience didn't know Kirk had a son, but to me this all says that a)the two had met before and b)Kirk knew David was his son.

Sweet Jesus that's ugly.

Kirk knew of David and knew that David was his son but had never actually met David. David knew of Kirk enough to know that he was a former boyfriend of his mother and had probably seen enough images of Kirk to know what he looked like but he didn't know Kirk was his dad because Carol kept that information from him.

From when Kirk and part first beam down to the cavern:
DAVID: You!
(Kirk and David fight)
KIRK: Where's Doctor Marcus?
DAVID: I'm Doctor Marcus!
CAROL (OC): Jim!
KIRK: Is that David?

and later, when Kirk and Carol are talking together

KIRK: I did what you wanted. ...I stayed away. ...Why didn't you tell him?
CAROL: How can you ask me that? Were we together? Were we going to be? You had your world and I had mine. And I wanted him in mine, not chasing through the universe with his father.

chakoteya.net/movies/movie2.html

Star Trek died with Gul Dukat.

I'm pretty sure that you could fit a sovereign inside the Jupiter class with room to spare. I think it would make more sense as a mobile station.

>I think it would make more sense as a mobile station.
That's basically what a frigate carrier is.

I'm still sad we can't use Defiants as carrier attack craft.

Sure we can. Just attach fuck-huge nacelles to a starbase and bam, you get Defiant carriers.

Hobus comes from the JJTrek prequel comic, not STO. Still not canon though.

Since Terok Nors are just mining and resource stations, what does a true Cardassian battle-station look like?

Likewise since the Cardassians were allowed a self defense force post war, does that mean they could build more weapons platforms if they wished, much like the ones that nearly stopped the allied forces cold during their incursion into the Cardassian capitol system?

Terok Nor had the capability to load up with a metric asston of weapons. What we saw in Way of the Warrior was just Starfleet restoring the functionality it was meant to have. The reason why it didn't in Emissary was because the Cardassians sabotaged everything before leaving, including the weapons systems.

I was given to understand that the JJ prequel comic was canon.

The comic is official, the story was by Kurtzman and Orci, and fills in many of the plot holes of the first movie, but it's still not canon.

In absence of anything official from the post-Nemesis timeline, it may as well be canon.

It's Alpha canon that a star close to Romulus went
supernova. The only thing not confirmed is the name Hobus. That's a pretty silly technicality to call it not canon seeing as how to made a comic about the movie to clear these points up.

"Official" doesn't really mean squat as far as canon. I mean, you can use it all you want (just like STO does), but that doesn't mean actual canon or anything.

In the absence of any official post-Nemesis material, there is no such thing as canon.

I thought all of that was just Starfleet improvements and didn't reflect anything close to it's original armament?

There is, as always, one piece of post-Nemesis material that CBS has canonized, and that's the prime universe section of Star Trek '09. Of course, you damn well know that, and are going to trot out the old "it's a parallel universe" argument, despite it being clearly stated to be the prime universe by multiple sources with that authority, so let's just skip to the end of this argument and say that we're not gonna agree on this.

Here's my idea for an alternate history fan fiction series. Captain Maxwell was right. Instead of being a fool, Picard joins with Maxwell and launches a preemptive strike against the Cardassians. The Klingons see all the fun and join in. The Cardies gets their ass kicked. Romulans are furious, but the sneaky cowards just sell arms to Cardassia, for now. Starfleet militarizes years ahead of DS9.

The Federation aids the Bajoran resistance. It's Kira's resistance cell and Section 31 versus Gul Dukat and Garak. Imagine Garak having to tolerate Dukat’s bullshit, like Weyoun did. Constable Odo can't decide which side to join. Captain Sisko of the USS Defiant conducts hit and run attacks on cardies in the Bajor system and discovers the wormhole.

youtube.com/watch?v=i41aEtE0iYs

Why does your ship have a hole in the saucer section? Does it have fidget spinner mode powered by midiclorians?

It's really fucking bugs me that the two rings spin at the same absolute rotational velocity.

Horizontal.

Picard's fondest wish after his brother and Rene died seems to be family, and for a guy who claims to hate kids he sure does pick a bunch of them up. If we go by Beta canon, he's a doting father to his son with Beverly Crusher, Rene. Including story time at the end of his shift.