/tgck/ Fantasy/Sci-fi food and drink

in this thread, let's talk about food and drink available in tyour settings.

Any particular ones stand out? Need ideas for some new ones, come and share here.

I'm currently dabbling a little on my campaign during it's break to flesh out more of the world, including the thread topic, my main source of inspiration for the food is the James Townsend and Son 18th century cooking channel on youtube (which is a relatively closer approximation of the in-universe era) and mostly, I'm figuring out fantastic drinks.

Thus far I have ideas for a 'sparkling elven wine' that literally sparkles, a wood elf mead that causes nostalgia in imbibers who fail the wisdom throw, and a Drow Spider Venom Wine that has to be made with a different kind of spider due to the setting being on a new continent.

Other urls found in this thread:

thespruce.com/classic-greek-recipes-1705423
youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson/
youtube.com/watch?v=M-xwPIWhCFc
youtube.com/watch?v=K7racSSk7w0
youtube.com/watch?v=_FoaomccQJY
youtube.com/watch?v=N3SK6zI6V8U
youtube.com/watch?v=Z-2QDArKIKg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

These breads are always comfy

I suppose I might as well post one of the ideas I've come up with for spirits in my setting.

>Dragonsrock Drow Mead: This (in)famous mead is a popular ‘dare’ drink fermented with nightshade flowers. It’s bitterness almost overwhelms the otherwise fruity and berry accents, and those almost overwhelm the sensation of your liver failing. (Constitution DC 12) avg. Price: 7sp and 5cp a bottle

>Amaranthine High Moon: Sparkling white wine, rich, sweet, apricot flavor. The bubbles (not the wine itself though) glow with a soft, white light. Avg. Price: 1gp and 8sp a bottle

>(Colonial) Drow Spider Venom Wine: The current Spider Venom Wine is made from milking the poison from Spider-Crabs found along the northern, rocky shores of Dragonsrock and Northarbor. Those who have had the vintage variety complain it’s just not the same. (Con DC 14) Avg. Price: 3gp a bottle.

Anyone ever came up with recipes out of nowhere?

What would be some ideas foe Ulthuan cuisine? I know they are based on the greeks so I expected salted sardines and smelt for commoners and roasted lobster on the high end of seafood

Plenty of times. It's called lining in the dorms. Necessity is mother of invention.

Cheese, dark greens, lamb, and chicken are popular parts of greek cuisine, aren't they?

thespruce.com/classic-greek-recipes-1705423

or do you mean strictly ancient greek?

I'm planning on serving genuine Soya Slurpees in a Shadow Run game. Moreover, as a kind of cute way to set it up, I'm planning on having a character who runs a food cart just show up after runs and offer food for stories. So it gives players a chance to reflect on what we did and me a chance to encourage it by dangling food in front of them.

What would be the best way to determine which animal goes with which cheese? For example what would i pair a dragon with? What goes with a cockatrice? Does a chimera count as a goat?

>my main source of inspiration for the food is the James Townsend and Son 18th century cooking channel on youtube
my comrade of impeccable taste

youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson/

Oh that is excellent, dude. Genuinely funny writing.

Greek in general works, but they seem to enjoy seafood a lot since they got tech specifically for salting seafood which probably shows high elves would prefer fish in their diet.

>watch a couple
>exceptionally fascinated by them
>need to watch more
damn it, there goes my morning

Played Rogue Trader.
Party helping out in a warzone, discover that there is a morale problem amongst certain Imperial Guard regiments.
Missionary gives rousing sermons, Astropath checks for warp-taint, RT discusses situation with senior officers: no change!
Arch-militant (ex-guard) spends time with troops on frontline, discovers that they hate the standard rations. Seneschal researches, finds that they're used to highly spiced foods, scents profit to be had, tries to get Munitorium to sign off on shipments of spices.
Munitorium refuses, notes that it's "cultural, not essential supplies".
Magos tries different tactic; analyses and compares standard rations to their homeworld's diet. Finds that rations have lower levels of certain trace elements, but not actually low enough to have any real effect. Suppresses information about lack of effect, presents "results" of research and offers potential solution in the form of a dietary suppliment.
Tests show improvement in troops that try the suppliment, Munitorium authorises issue and places contract for ongoing supply.
>tl:dr Chili sauce is now officially a medical suppliment in our 40k campaign.

the main guy they have for them is a modern day Bob Ross in my opinion, he's just got such a gentle enthusiasm for what he does(not to mention like Bob he encourages you to try this stuff at home

So in other words: Spice must flow!

One of my PCs is a halfling, haven't talked to him yet on it but I thought a nice little 'contribution' of his character's family to the setting is that they brew a switchel that's popular in the farms of amarsnthine and has caught the attention of scholars in dragonsrock who are pulling an all nighter.

Though that version uses honey and lemon/lime juice instead of molasses and vinegar.

With dragons, probably depends on the type.

Firebreathers are probably best complimented with a smokey cheese while acid and poison breathers are best served with something tangy and acidic.

I've been watching a lot of Townsends and it's makin' me hungry.

youtube.com/watch?v=M-xwPIWhCFc

>Broodwich
>This mysterious object from hell cannot be deconstructed or taken apart except for when it can.
>It is the most delicious sandwich in the world except for that it lacks bacon and has sun-dried tomatoes. Which might be a bonus to some but others might think it's kind of annoying.
>Anyone who consumes the broodwich is instantly taken to an alternate dimension where Jerry shows up.
>Jerry is always about 10 levels higher than the PC who eats it and he has an axe.
>If the PC's merely taken a bite of the broodwich he's only teleported there long enough for Jerry to threaten him.
>If he eats all of it then he's teleported there permanently.
>If the PC deconstructs the broodwich a mysterious voice will force him to either marry a skeleton or have brain surgery where he (in his lobotomized form) will obey all of the voices commands which will mostly be to finish off the Broodwich so Jerry can kill him.
>The Session ends before Jerry can do it.

>Manna
> Typical food for spacers in vessels too small to handle hydroponic farms or genetically engineered hydrofauna. Manna is essentially a giant, nutrient-dense brick of proteins, amino acids, minerals and vitamins bound together with glutamates, fibers and insect proteins.
Imagine a giant brick of ultra-dense, ultra dry spam that you can slice, fry, and season, that by default tastes like peanut butter right out of the can.

>Sump Crab
>water recycled aboard a starship is run through a tank filled with highly complex siphonophorae and genetically engineered crustaceans. The crustaceans mostly devour any solid pollutants, excreting fresh, potable water while siphonophores "Filter" more toxic chemicals like Ammonia and harmful bacterium. These two species working in tandem are responsible for fresh, potable water being available on most starships. Due to Sump Crabs asexual reproduction (A biproduct of splicing in aphid DNA) it's often a common practice to go "sump fishing" To snatch up a few of the large, plate-sized crustaceans to serve in the ship's galley. Sump Crab meat is light, slightly salty, with a sweet aftertaste and a flaky texture not unlike terran shellfish. And is commonly eaten steamed.

>tfw you study latin just for a joke/reference
>Astrum Denarius Coffee: Perhaps the surprising bonus of Terra Nova, beyond being free from the Black Emperor’s legions, is the surprisingly plentiful amount of coffee beans that can be purchased from native traders. Among famous cultivators include the Denarius family and it’s patriarch Astrum who has used a mix of farming techniques and shrewd business skills to make Astrum Denarius Coffee the most traded and sold coffee blends in the colonies, though this massive influx has caused it to earn many a critic.

sump crab sounds like it would be amazing with just a hint of garlic and butter added in.

Love the reference with Manna.

As possible addition to suggest as for sci-fi cuisine, one that, in fact, is a real world food could be Balmain Bugs. (they're actually a type of slipper lobster)

Can't have these threads without these images.

honest question: do you actually eat the whole honeycomb?

I think I tried it once as a kid and the bees wax ruined everything for me.

Lord knows I would. That shit is the best user.

So, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, then?

maybe I just ate the wrong wax?

>cursed items entry
>listed right under Panda Express

That's a new one. Not sure whqat all this is except maybe the nuts and cheese, but those tiny pies look delicious.

Enough ginger to melt your face off.

Boiled beef kidney, limburger cheese, ginger and turmeric roots, enoki mushrooms and some sort of gravy-based pie.

Nobody outside of a kitchen needs that much ginger and turmeric.

well if we're bringing up Adult Swim foods;

youtube.com/watch?v=K7racSSk7w0

youtube.com/watch?v=_FoaomccQJY

youtube.com/watch?v=N3SK6zI6V8U

youtube.com/watch?v=Z-2QDArKIKg

bump

I make tea out of fresh ginger.

My dad told me about how when he was kids they would just take pieces of honeycomb and eat them whole, chewing on the wax while swallowing the honey. A Walmart nearby even sells small bottles of honey with a piece of a comb in it.

I've always wondered how fun it might be to play an entire campaign based on and revolving around food, and a food focused fantasy world. Like Toriko, but less DBZ

Did someone say ginger?

What I always love about the half orc rations is that they receive half their money from humans and half from orcs, implying that both the human army and the orc horde decided to regard the half orcs as equally their own and take equal responsibility for supporting them. That's just delightful

Orcs might be prone to savagery in battle, but the bonds of family and community are something NEVER taken lightly. Half-orc children are basically the kids in the family where you don't get WHY they do what they do, but they are blood and you love and support them anyway.

To say the least, the one thing that sets off orcs more than anything else is familial betrayal.

Huh, so what kind of quests would you focus on?

dude, don't say that, I got my ear talked off by my chef sister because she swears by ginger. I don't.

And to contribute to the fantasy foods in this thread:

>Dragon Brew: The one type of beer strong enough for draconic consumption. WARNING: highly lethal to about that isn't a full grown dragon. But it is also useful for stripping paint.

>Huh, so what kind of quests would you focus on?
I imagine things like, finding rare ingredients, discovering secret recipes, stumbling across powerful magic cooking tools, or even fighting off against dangerous master chefs. Battles probably would be a mixture of both actual combat, and cooking, so the combat system would have to be tweaked to compensate, maybe.