Spore counters edition!

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/1l5cdt/maro_suggests_a_card_to_make_the_rules_manager/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

good job, OP

I was about to create the new thread myself (good thing I checked if there was already a new one before doing so)

>Spore counters edition!
pic related (not exactly "spore" counters, but I think it can relate.)

mtg.gamepedia.com/Interaction_of_continuous_effects

The layer system. A complicated, unintuitive system that keeps track of effects and determines how they interact.

reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/1l5cdt/maro_suggests_a_card_to_make_the_rules_manager/

This is a Reddit post made as a response to a hypothetical ability Maro made, "All creatures with flying are blue," which he designed to be deliberately unintuitive and clunky due to how the layers work. It explains just why the ability is so unintuitive and how it would interact with other cards. Oh, and for context, Matt Tabak was a rules lawyer for MTG.

Coming up with the key features of my set, one of the factions is essentially Puritans+Inquisition+Crusades, and they're at war with a bunch of druids and barbarians who refuse to get 'civilized'. Came up with the mechanic of 'Zealotry' to represent creatures having deep seated grudges/psychotic fervor over fighting certain enemies, getting bonuses whenever they fight their selected type.

I also created a card for that faction's leader.

> Came up with the mechanic of 'Zealotry'
I'm not 100% sure "fights" is the right wording, unless you means when a card or effect causes it to fight with each other. I would replace it with "blocks or becomes blocked by" or whatever they use in cases like this. There is probably cards with similar effect so you should check the wording.

> gets +0/+2
Also, I think just giving +0/+2 is a weird choice for a keyword. I would either use Zealotry N, then gives +N/+N to the creature, or just give some random static value like +2/+2. But I think its weird to give defense and no attack. For balance reasons, check Bushido. This ability is basically a conditional Bushido.

> choose a creature type
You could also make the ability be "Zealotry -- ", and specify what tribe that specific card has hate against. Letting the player chooses could potentially lead to memory issues, because having multiple creatures with Zealotry and each having a different choice is sort of tricky. I also feel like noting that if you do choose to specify on the card itself what type its zealot against, try to word it like protection so you have more flexibility and can use "Zealotry against black" or "Zealotry against artifact" and other non-tribe cases like this.

That's...really good advice, actually. Thanks!

Glad I could help.

No. Imagine a multiplayer game of these things going around. Memory issues for days.

...That's a fair point, but I don't want to just roll out Bushido again, Zealotry captures the 'church militant' flavor I'm going for better.

Speaking of flavor, what's the lore for your sets? For mine, it's about the war between the imperialist Divine Hegemony and the nature-worshiping Wildkin. They despise each other so much they petition their objects of worship to destroy their enemies, which causes a series of cataclysmic events of divine/natural intervention. Neither side of the war really cares how much damage they do as long as they crush the other guys, and the whole plane's going to hell in a handbasket because of it. It gets so bad that the resident planeswalker (who I haven't made up yet) just goes fuckthisshitimout.mp3 and leaves.

Memory issues. Why not make an ability with a small toolbox of creatures from the set to choose from? Like the 3-4 most popular tribe or something like that

What if the ability puts a counter on a creature on etb, and then gives +N/+N against creatures with counters on them? It would still be more conditional than bushido, but since it's the same counter the more zealots you have the more guys you can hate.

That might work, though I'd have to finish the set first before I could start handing out Zealotrys (Zealotries?).

....Fuck, that's really good. I could even keep Archbishop's ability roughly the same by letting him rearrange counters on the battlefield. Though should I call those Zealotry counters or something else?

>Speaking of flavor, what's the lore for your sets?
My set's flavor is the war between two different religions (one white and one black). This sort of also warped the mana balance of the set's plane, making it to bend towards white and black (the set features more black/white cards than cards from other colors).

> That's a fair point, but I don't want to just roll out Bushido again
What about something like this:
> "Zealotry against (When this creature attacks, it gets +1/+1 for each the defending player controls.)"
Inquisition+Crusade is not just about fighting creatures, is about fanatically attacking. Having it this way, you both avoid the mechanic from being something that has already been done, like Bushido or Rampage , and also gives it a more fanatical feeling, because the creature is getting buffed just from attacking. Its not about honor, is about to fucking the heathens up.

Even though gaining bonus when attacking is not very white, the fact you gain +N/+N and not +N/+0 helps deal with this, but the main thing is that you only get buffed if the opponent has the type of creature your card hates. So flavor-wise, it means you are only going medieval on someone's ass if they "deserve" it.

Honestly, in that case the archbishop should probably just tap to put another counter on a guy.

Since Halloween is coming up, I wanted to make some cards for it. This is one I did last year that I never got around to refining. An user said it might be better to change the counter removal ability to trigger off creatures entering the battlefield, but I kinda like how the trigger works with the main effect now. Should I change it?

And yeah, it is inspired by All Hallow's Eve, the og Suspend card.

I would give haste to the creatures.

Halloween-ish related. Did I fix Black Lotus? I'm sure there's a deck out there somewhere where this is OP.

Good idea. Thanks.

Someone mentioned to me that the highest of (non un-set) card cmc's was 15, so I attempted to make a cycle of cards of cmc 20, but also with interesting cost-reducing effects.

I honestly don't see any reason why try to make a card with CMC=20. Making an entire cycle with this sounds an even worse idea.

pic related -> gave it a try

That person is wrong, the highest is Draco at 16. But note how Draco just needs you to play WUBRG to dramatically lower his cost to 6, as well as negate his upkeep cost. All of your cards still require a bunch of work and sacrifice (metaphorically speaking) to work.

I'm looking for art for spider knights because that seems like a cool idea to me.

Should I just Photoshop spider heads into knights?

Like a knight on a spider or a spider on a horse?

Spider on a horse. Maybe wearing armor.

I think it's a cool idea, we always need more knights. I cannot help you though unfortunately. Looked through my art folder and didn't see anything like it.

let us know how that turned out :) post some of the newest versions of your cards

Rolled 142 (1d238)

Rolling, challenge mode.

Rolled 93 (1d238)

they see me rollin', they hatin'

Rolled 117, 85 = 202 (2d238)

Fuck, I just realized that this table is missing Trilobite. It's already outdated, shit! Thanks a lot MTGSalvation!

>Nymph lord
Not exactly a popular type. Obv. based on the Theros Nymphs, with synergy with enchantment creatures.

Let's try another. Actually, I'm going for double tribal and I'll just roll twice.

Rolled 15 (1d238)

>117
>Lizard

>85
>Harpy

Ah... hmm... Early Harpy gets the Lizard?

OK, one more. No challenge mode this time.

>15
>Badger
In case you can't tell, I'm pretty bad at names.

> In case you can't tell, I'm pretty bad at names.
Seems like you could use some flavor lessons. Give your cards a decent name, an image, a flavor text. Those are part of the design as well. Doing them on challenges helps you exercise your flavor abilities.

Rolled 115 (1d238)

Lhurgoyf, Double tribal

Rolled 95 (1d238)

....forgot the fucking dice.

>Lhurgoyf
>Hydra

pic related

Nice, definitely better than Lizard-Harpy.

I'm totally putting this in my custom set, btw, because BY AJANI'S MANE THIS THING'S ABSURD.

Activated ability just feels disconnected from the rest. I was actually expecting something like
>~ enters the battlefield with a head counter on it.
>~ gets +X/+X for each head counter on it, where X is the number of creature cards in all graveyards.
And then some ability to allow it to get more head counters.

I would replace that last ability with something like this:

> When Lhurhydra is dealt damage, put that many cards from the top of your library into your graveyard.

This would make it feels insanely like an hydra, because as soon as you cut its head, it self-mill, likely gaining additional p/t, making it extremely hard to kill and a lot more interesting. Of course, in that case, the cost could be reduced.

Oooh, nice.

Crab is an actual type, and Homarids and Camarids are basically giant lobsters.

Yeah, I know. Now I'AM thinking about using that on my custom set haha

With this and some slight alterations on the technicality of the text (I'd make it care about all cards, take away the goyf *+1 for example), this is a fucking sweet ass design and if we're gonna have fucking hydras on innistrad this would make a great innistrad hydra.

Aggro Thallids whaa.

>creatures lands and/or lands
whaa.

My version of the hydra+lhurgoyf mix (same guy from )

Should just be creatures and/or lands. Heh.

art in use

>Italicized Flash
>Treated as
>Artefact
>No colon on the activated ability

Read more cards, bruh.

Why does the red one have the worst cost reduction ability by far yet is also the only one without an ability payoff?

Rework of a card I did a while ago.

it's red.

is this broken?

First thing that comes to mind is turn five Progenitus or turn six Door to Nothingness.

true but i wonder if its most broken usage isnt just casting it for just red and green

It's a +2 mana Ritual, which is pretty dangerous. And Modern storm lists could easily cast it for +3, netting UURRGG off of URG.

RG for RRGG? Hmm, Pyretic Ritual is 1R for RRR, and it's instant. Casting for X=0 is probably fine. But after that, no idea.

STORM, the biggest reason black lotus is good, is how this card gets broken.

imagine going turn 1 noble hierarch, turn 2 this for UGW then playing a 6 drop like consecrated sphinx or primeval titan

UGR**

i wonder if modern would still run it considering it doesnt work with baral or electromancer

Storm needs Baral or Electromancer to make +1 rituals into +2 rituals. This is always a +2 ritual, and sometimes a +3 ritual, although it twists the manabase a bit.

Don't most modern storm builds run 8+ fetches anyway? It's not hard to grab the 1-of Breeding Pool or Stomping Ground or hit it off manamorphose. I've seen builds run those lands anyway for the flashback on Ancient Grudge against Lantern Control.

You can make the bullet points in MSE by putting two colons together (ie, ::)

oh thank you !

What do you guys do with all the cards you make?

I just keep them in a big folder that gets bigger and bigger

Same. I like making them because it helps me better understand the game, and it gives me creative satisfaction, but other than that I don't do anything with them.

I pretend to make sets but usually get bored or burned out then abandon them 1/3 of the way in or so. I finished one, one time. So basically nothing.

More useful if the conditions were switched.

But antithematic.

How? I would still make W and B.

> More useful if the conditions were switched.
Indeed, and in my opinion, a bit more interesting as well.

>But antithematic.
This, however, is the issue.

> How? I would still make W and B.
The card's flavor is that it is an Abandoned Church/temple place that whoever goes there, makes rituals/whatever according to his or her faith. So it means that if you have a white creature, the church would be used for white-mana rituals and shit, and if you have a black creature, it would be used for black rituals and shit. If I switched, it wouldn't make a sense, because there would be a black creature making white rituals or a white creature making black rituals.

Also, it wouldn't match my set's lore as well. My set is divided between the followers of Nyara (a white goddess) and Xar (a black goddess), and these factions are 100% antagonized and hate each other. Therefore, it wouldn't make sense for a follower of a white goddess to generate black mana, or the other way around it.

>Spore counters edition!
I cannot access my computer now, so I made this card using a mobile app that sucks balls.

Just use mtg.design. You have to make an account, but it works pretty well even on mobile.

>card
Eh, feels... too easy. Maybe make it a standard Thallid set, but the sac ability gives creatures your opponents control -1/-1 (or higher) until end of turn.

Thanns for the tip, uh... tips.

Not sure on this, since it's not all that hard to build around the downside. Anyway, let's try
>Whenever ~ attacks, return target creature you control and target creature you don't control to their owners' hands.

>spore n' shieet

Sry, wrong power and toughness. Here is the real one.

Seems cool.

I like this better, because it gave me an idea. What if its ability was:
> Whenever Colossal Glowshroom is dealt damage, prevent it and put that many spore counters on it.
That seems a lot more interesting, because it also works and an immortal wall.

>If damage would be dealt to ~, prevent that damage and put that many spore counters on it.
or
>If damage would be dealt to ~, put that many spore counters on it instead.

I didn't bother checking appropriate wording. I like the second one but I think dumber players would be confused with that, so I would rather roll with the first one to make it clearer.

(sometimes, the wording is clear rule-wise, but written in a way that people that are not that good at reading cards could confuse. That is something to consider)

Changed this a bit to make it less wordy. Previously this had two abilities, one that triggered on each player's upkeep to basically get a random creature, another that triggered at the end step to lose a random creature. Now it's just one ability at upkeep. Also decided to use exile, though the wording should still make it so if the player exiles a creature he or she doesn't own, that card will end up on the bottom of its owner's library.

Flavor: Plot device from Adam Strange, Zeta-Beams are random bursts of energy that can teleport someone interstellar distances. This is what gives Adam Strange the John Carter-esque origin, a man from Earth stuck on an alien world.

He would make for a cool commander.
Is this broken?

She, actually. Still trying to recover art.

>card
Three I/S spells for a 4/4 flyer? Hmm, seems OK to me.

Would love to have one of these in my chaos EDH deck.

Sry, not used to Japanese names.

>my card
Yeah, the effect is supposed to be like constant and stuff: you get a 4/4 flier for each three spells cast. I guess it could be broken with small cantrips and such.

To be fair, tatsu is more of a male name afaik

Pyromaniac with a flamethrower and a jetpack. Even a mundane crime like arson gets insane in Gotham.

Neither do I, the character is from DC. Oh yeah, I never did get around to re-creating the CO set symbol.

>Oh yeah, I never did get around to re-creating the CO set symbol.
I was wondering if you were the CO user or not. What happened with the CO symbol?