WIP - Work In Progress General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Figure painter magazine issues 1-36
mega.nz/#F!0AIGDAxL!xOT6MK3oiGpBB1pQaNy5lg

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>DIY Spraybooth
starshipmodeler.com/tech/pa_booth.htm

>DIY Wet Palette
youtube.com/watch?v=96mjmqWTPfM

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>The Bloody Hand will point the way!
youtube.com/watch?v=zXJ0pphsOkk

>Previous Thread(s):

Glory shot of my WIP queue.

Tried a lot of new things with this guy. I need to repaint the paper things ( what is the correct term?) to make them stand a little more from the armor. Also the snow, which is the old GW mourn mountain snow didn't impress me. What do you think I can improve /wip/?

>correct term
purity seal

this stuff is good

Does anyone know where I can find ork right arms with a empty hands? I can cut the weapons off choppa arms but it leaves an area of no detail where the weapon was
Pic related is basically what I need but for boyz and right-handed

As an aside, I still haven't decided on basing for these.

Any suggestions on what might look good given all the purple?

Posted this wip in the general the other day, really happy with him now it's finished up. Love painting me some plague marines

winter theme? Purple and white is ok.

Winter could be neat, saw some black earth schemes online as well

Lookin purdy good, user. Should drill those exhaust pipes tho.

Matt or Satin varnish for plague marines?
I have a jar of gloss to touch up lenses and boils after.

Finally got the commander done. Changed his breathing tube to bit more tactical looking and gave him a plasma pistol.

Do a test model of each

Also sorry for forgetting to resize the image.

I don't have either.
Asking before i order.

I... I think it's done? This is my first time looting a thing, so let me know how I did.

Nice

Should've asked before you painted.

I have posted the unpainted version, but I didn't really get any feedback. If you see something I could do better, I'll probably be doing a few more of these (at least one more).

Does anyone have a good tutorial for really tanned skin?

Overall, Little too neat.

I'd add a step plate to the side doors with a pipe support/handhold, more shit in general to the bare sides, be it holes, glyphs, patches or rude grafitti.

Smokestacks are too symmetrical (for my tastes) and the cabin could do with some weapons, grots or other detritus left in the rush to krump gits.

That said
Weathered paint and rust is excellent quality and it's definitely not the sloppy and overdone mess most new lootas default too.

Looks really nice and gritty. How'd you do the paint chipping effect?

I'm trying to think of something to critique but this looks like it fits a more realistic look about as well as possible. I think you could increase the contrast on a couple of points or add an edge highlight on some of the smaller details like the finger joints to make shapes clearer and the model more distinct at a distance but it'd end up looking cartoonier for doing so.

Thanks for the good ideas! I'll see if I can't work some of them in on my next one. I can still add things into the cabin somewhat easily, fix it in post as it were. I wanna have a whole psuedo-company of looted ultra stuff eventually so I'll have plenty of time to practice.

Chipping is done with a thin line of brown that you then kinda underline with your armor highlight color.

Duncan has a nice video for it.

I'll drop some of my work when i get home, might help with the inspiration, my stuff headed towards looted Ultra and Mordian too, blue for Deffskulls and all.

>Deffskulls
Gork (or maybe Mork) must've sent you to guide my mekboy training.

Da fast unz.

Da eavy lads

Da gitz

An de Schützenpanzer

I'm diggin that bandit technical

needs more rivets

It has gotten loads since I snapped it, flat is a filthy mess atm so not in the mood for photography.

Here's my lion. I didn't like how it's eyes looked in the sculpt, so I fucked with it. I'm mostly happy with the results, but I'm out of practice at painting and it shows.

Does the flesh look good? I'm torn. It still feels unfinished somehow. I've done several layers and washes.

I'd highlight to a pink/purpler tone and wash the metal down with a black or brown.

I'm sold on the metal (already washed it and re-layered) but I'll try the flesh. Mostof my mixes were with a VGC Dwarf Skin base, perhaps I'll try wazdakka red with VGC squid pink.

yeah no it didn't work. tried blood, wazdakka and wild rider reds. None of them really add that highlighted feel. I actually thought of using Blood for the Blood God to add a slick look of ever-tearing mutating flesh, maybe hide it.

thanks bro, I will try it.
Thanks for the critic user, I will give him a second past with the highligths. The chipping effect is exactly what said.

You might be able to find a right arm from an ork arrer. Either the old plastic minis that came in one of the starters or maybe an arm from the new multipart savage orc kit.
Eh. New.

That's how old I am.

Anyway I'm kind of drawing a blank for right arms with closed fists otherwise though. If you were to take one of the regular arms, drill a hole in the fist and fill that gap with some GS you should be able to sculpt the palms and folds of skin there though.

Quality wise, how are the recasts from all4wargames ?
I'm considering starting a Krieg army. I would buy most of the minis the legit way, but some (heavy weapons squads, mostly) would be from that site.
Is it a good idea ?

"DETAILLED DESCRIPTION
The set contain enough details to assembel one of two Gorkanaut or Morkanaut !!!!!!!!!!!"

That quality.

It varies, guy buys kits from other re-casters and resells at a markup, so its all down to who he buys from.

This looks really nice user.

It's apparently a very popular conversion.
Seen 5 others, 3 here and two in TTT's videos.

Welp the internet is out for a week at home so this will let me catch up to building and painting some stuff in bulk. I tried this as a Death Guard Termi Lord after using the death shroud arm for a typhus thing. I'm gonna try to paint the spore chimneys as teeth but I'm not sure if I should trim some of the smoke from the sword.

So as far as I can tell GWs no longer makes Imperial Primer. I really don't want to spray prime my models because it tends to come on slightly too thick. What would you guys suggest for a brush on primer?

posted these yesterday right before the last thread died. Still can't bring myself to batch paint but I think i'm getting slightly quicker at painting mooks

I really enjoy your progress with this army. Nice job on the face of the guy on the right too.

I really like that, the smoke on the sword is a bit off imo but I think it'll look even wierder if you get rid of it entirely

Hey lads, Im building my Nurgle force for AoS/40K and I want to break some scheme of 'greenish/sick-pale' most nurgles have.
Mini in question is Herald of N and I like to paint him kinda bright so he gonna be visible in my horde of rot.
Do you have any sugestions/pics/links that might help me find inspiration?

Second question: Is there wash set with like multiple green/yellow ones? All I can find are some Army Paiter one thet will duble the washes I have from citadel.

What should I try to fix on my base?

That face is great!

the weathering is super comfy for some reason

Also sorry for teribad spelling.

google pictures of fungi and mold, plenty of inspiration to be had there.

>What should I try to fix on my base?
I don't really see anything to fix. The colors are subdued, but it's a base. The thing that bothers me about it is that it is about a large as miniature, but it's how the thing comes, so not really your fault.

>Do you have any sugestions/pics/links that might help me find inspiration?
There was an user around here who did skittle plague bearers. Those bright pastel colors worked really well.

Personally I'd pick a theme though. Maybe do baby blue marines and add frostbite to their fingers and stuff like that. If you base them on snow you could also put icicles on them and whatnot.
Or you could got for a waterlogged swamp thing theme. That kind of stuff.

I think so too I might trim off some of the smoke near the gauntlet but try to leave the primary trail from the hole and see how that turns out. I was surprised at how the smoke is almost perfect for the sword just gotta snip a bit of the bottom and it fits well enough.

Soungds great, but there is one thing, Imm gonna get bored by the 3rd squad. I picked up Nurgle cuz I dont like to pait the same shit over and over, I have Autism lv high enough to have fun with painting mini demons and elves but not high enough to paint 200+ clanrats that look exacly the same. SO my squads gonna be like clown festival.
Gotta try that :)

Did you make a greenstuff cast of a git?

Na, part of a used batch, got a dozen various grots.

How could I make it look like it's raining on my mini's? Water effects to create droplets on armour and then puddles on the bases?

The board is done now. Well, Imight go over some areas with another white glaze, and have to glue some parts back on, but I would really just end up in basically just posting the same thing.
Finished the raptor with icon, except for the base. Face could be a lot better, but once I mess some part up I only make it worde when ever I try to fix it. I tried fixing the area aound the eye to often. Lipstick went too far out too. Ended up phonin in the hair a bit, probably because the short work on the base stopped my attemps at being precise.
I also put the armors basecoat on the would be champion and teenage celestine. No pic.

Bit old school but had a lot of fun painting the standard. Kind of like these old model, they've got a real charm to them.

Corkin' !!!

....I'll.... get my hat.

Trying to figure out how a Knight Styrix could end up in my Minotaurs army, and an idea came to me.
I'm gonna paint it up regular Mechanicus colors, hairspray it, paint up a patchy Blood Ravens schemeover that, and then chip the paint away to show the Mechanicus colors underneath. Good and/or stupid idea y/n? I figure they liberated it after some sanctioned fratricide.

Maybe add a tuft or something to break it up?

Just wanted to take a moment to appreciate the liquid talent in a pot that we call "Agrax Earthshade". I was getting frustrated with a model and lost all interest until I got to the wash step and now I'm excited to finish him up again. This shit is like night and day.

When Agrax Eathshade goes on a model it makes me happy. I feel like im wasting my time until I get that tasty wash on.

wouldn't they still hand it over to a knightly household? I cant imagine they'd have the necessary tech and/or personnel to maintain/pilot it. If they gave it over to an allied/friendly household, wouldn't they use their own markings or restore the originals? I get where you are trying to go but it doesn't make a ton of sense fluffwise

>Trying to figure out how a Knight Styrix could end up in my Minotaurs army
Wherever your dudes fighting, AdMech dudes are fighting.
Same campaign as AdMech dudes.
You are looking for/protecting archeotech.
You are on a forgeworld.
There is a rumor of an STC floating around.
The baddies stole something and the AdMech called you in to do the dying.
ect.pp

There are more than enough reasons. You don't really have to bend over backwards to come up with one.
All imperial factions kind of belong together anyway.

Not the best photo but WIP anyway.
My first to-be-painted termagant squad.
Carapaces just finished, pending to do: weapons, claw/hoove highlights, teeth and eyes

>Kind of like these old model, they've got a real charm to them.

Old models will *always* have charm, m8!

>minotaurs army
>blood ravens scheme
?
and knights aren't piloted by space marines anyways, you could just have a knight house thats loyal to them and they decided to paint their knight like that

Hrm, valid points. I guess I'm just looking for an excuse to try that particular painting technique.

I like it.
Minor criticism though: I think it would be more effective as a scheme if you had a light/dark contrast where the flesh and the carapace meets. If you'd reverse the colors on the carapace it would be light-dark-light, but now you got light-light-dark.
Still a pretty effective scheme, but I'm kind of bothered by that. It's a bit autistic I guess.

That's a nice scheme

well thats no reason not to do it, if you want to paint like that, they are your models

Ah, thats good feedback. But then the carapace would be have more light color overall, I wanted to go for black with yellow rims (slightly cliche wasp style). I might go for 15% darker skin with lighter sking highlights in the next batch so perhaps that will contrast better.

Thanks!

Nice combination of colors.

Agreed with

>Metal Cadians
The toppest tier of tastes

Will Catachan arms fit on Space Marines bodies without looking odd proportion-wise? I want some bare-armed marines to make my army even more heavy metal.

They look better proportion wise on marines than on catachans, anyway.
I'd advise you to use beastmen or flaggelant arms though. They are muscular too, but don't look as bad.
The plastic Catachans are a complete clusterfuck when it comes to anatomy.

Started working on my Blood Bowl human team. Will soon add grass and the number and insignia.
Critics?

Rocking the Orcidas shoes.

I'd look to AoS for that. If you want burly men and swole arms, there's no better line to get them.

working on my nurgle stormcast conversions cuz i got blightkings box and spare has some crazy bits in it

The AoS range is ~35-40mm though.
The khorne barbarians are bigger than a regular marine.

>In the year 2k, we're going to make the bee's extinct
>In the year 40k, the bees are going to make us extinct
Love it user

>I'd advise you to use beastmen or flaggelant arms though. They are muscular too, but don't look as bad.
Maybe. I'm not 100% sure what I'll do with everything besides the arms yet. Ideally I'd like to use the rest of the bitz (I play IG/IQ so extra GEQ bitz would be nice) but I'm pretty handy when it comes to coversion. Not sure if beastmen could work, but flaggelants are ez.

Eyyy. So it's Vectors of Pox guy from yesterday. I have a new color scheme as you see after buying more paint. Now, I have one question. This guy hasn't been highlighted yet or have had effect paint used, what color(s) do I use for the highlights?

Just saying.
I remember a guy who did a squad of Khorne Berserkers with bestmen arms in hommage to Kharn. Looked pretty dope.

But a gamestore around here had a squad of converted marines on display with catachan arms. Worked too. The sculpts just have problems. Mind you, I got 40k of the fuckers in my cabinet too.

The only good bug is a dead bug.

take better photos.

put a white piece of paper behind the mini and clear all the clutter away near it

>making buggies a big as trukks

It's like you want them to explode ASAP.

They're only ~70% length, 50% width and 50% height.

Looks more like fungus than flesh.

Buggies area meant to be small and cramped, just barely enough room for the two gitz on it.

Not saying that they don't look nice, but I'd feel pretty bad about playing against them.

AoP board is pretty much done, there were a few spots where the ground was loose so it came off when I drybrushed it. I primed it again so I'll just drybrush it again tomorrow for the last few highlights.

A better photo would help, at the moment it's a brown mass and nothing really stands out, that includes the necrons on it.

Alright user, how does one go about weathering dudes wearing cloth?
I got some Kriegers in the mail, and I plan in making them look like they were wading through mud, blood and guts for days. Thick mud on the boots, dried up blood and dirt on the uniforms and scratches from las/stubber shots on the helmets. Really poor bastards marching through hell.
I saw some videos about doing muddy tank tracks with pigments, would that be a good start?

Pic unrelated.

I like da fast unz! What do you run them as? Trukks or Warbuggies?

Three buggies and a trukk.