MTG House Rules/Variants

Do you play MTG with any house rules?
For example playing without any lands with the ability to play any card upside down each turn as a land of its color(s).

>that card frame

Good luck ever doing hybrid or phyrexian mana.

I feel with house rules of that variety you might as well be playing a compeltely different game.
Restrictions or removal of restrictions based on the cards you can run in your deck are typically the only ones that are remotely balanced, fucking with the rules in any other way usually leads to someone taking massive advantage of it to the point of needing more house rules.

That's actually a pretty good rule that my friends and I used plenty in high-school.

It creates an interesting dynamic of
>Which cards can i afford to sacrifice
>not getting mana-screwed

and doesn't actually fuck the the balance of the game. Obviously cards that specifically draw "land" become useless, but who gives a fuck about land-cards. They're an ancient mechanic that deserves to fuck off. If they removed land-cards, I'd actually get back into MtG.

My cube has a selection of different sleeved cards (roughly 40 of them). When making packs you use 14 cards from the cube and 1 of the special cards. Drafting occurs normally.

At the beginning of each match you can choose one of the special cards you drafted and place it face down in the command zone. This is your 'trump' card. You can play your trump card for 0 mana (additional costs still need to be played) once per game. Normal timing restrictions apply.

Obviously cards are specifically balanced to be trumps so it's reasonably balanced.

My playgroup (EDH mostly) house banned the Exquisite+Sanguine combo because of how stupidly easy it is to pull off, all other infinites allowed.

Also infect was raised from 10 to 15 to make it more fair.

That infect rule would make multi-battles literally impossible.

One on one, 15 is perfectly reasonable.

Infect raised from 10 to 15 needs to be the official rule for commander.

Yo that Mana wheel is SICK although yeah it would have trouble with phyrexian Mana, hybrid, and OGW colorless costs.

Ugh

Isn't that the exact concept Duel Masters uses? I always found that to be a really fun mechanic, good on ya OP

>Ugh
BBEG

That card frame is atrocious.

You're atrocious.

For phi mana you could make a custom overlay for the circle that overwrites the unused colors. Iirc there aren't any phi costs beyond 2 shock-mana (dismember)

Hybrid costs could do something similar, maybe only overwriting a tiny bit by comparison. I'm pretty sure the lorwyn block's 5costs like fugue-the-dude or bong-reaper-king top off the list of hybrid costers.

God help you if they make hybrid mana phyrexians though.

>I forgot to think of anusmana
Probably could do something kinda fancy like modify the cost-circle around the edges to reflect the titan(s?) that the card belongs to. Bismuth for keikaku-lek, hentacles for chewlamogg and sponge for the aeons hip.

Notice how this is only a problem with nuMagic gimmick garbage.

>talk shit about the best permanent type this side of artifact
Stay go.

1x per game, you may during your upkeep search your library for a basic land card, reveal it, and put it in your hand. if you do skip your draw step.

So how do you expect monoblack decks to win?

>RAV
>nuMagic
Notice how you're retarded.

Or you could just not use a frame that looks like ass.

>Also infect was raised from 10 to 15 to make it more fair.
If a deck can hit you with 15 Infect damage it could more easily just use non-Infect creatures and hit for 20. Infect creatures are already less efficient than regular critters because you only need to hit with half as much to win.

Cabal coffers, magus of the coffers, gauntlet of power, caged sun, extraplanar lens, and I'm probably forgetting a few artifacts that do similar things. Mono anything is severely underrated considering how much Mana you can tap one land for.

Does anyone in your group play Votron? It's easy to make 10 power that's unblockable and grafted exoskeleton or phyresis make it into Phage. Hell even a non-voltorn deck can make an unblockable 5 power or a trampling 6-7 power and kill you with a swing or two from infect.

Exile a card from hand to landcycle if you are drawing into no lands early game

>lands are fun
>said only faggots and autismos that would rather cling than innovate

I think it would be better to just ban certain "surprise win out of nowhere" cards like Phyresis or Triumph of the Hordes than change the fundamental way poison counters work, because then it makes ordinary poison/infect creatures suck even harder than they already do when the problem is granting infect to already efficient creatures.

>itt: people forget why cantrips exist

My group had a soft "don't play anything but creatures, no removal and don't won before turn 5" rule for years before I moved on to MTGO.

The gameplay was awful and one guy broke the game by playing knights with basilisk collars.

>being so obsessed with donald trump you put him into your card games

But unlike you I'm trying to make OPs idea better instead of just shitting on it. If you're here to call things trash without offering legit advice you might as well just not post and go fap or something.

The problem with that is that OP is trying to "fix" something that isn't broken. All the issues with that card frame aren't issues with the ACTUAL frame, and the things this frame adds that have any use (like the upside down stats for your opponent) could just be added to the current card frame without ruining it. Why do we need tye colors we don't need for the card represented on the card? How does that make the card anything except busier and harder for newbies/retards to undersand?

>For example playing without any lands with the ability to play any card upside down each turn as a land of its color(s).

that + a stack of random commons that everyone draws from rather than having a personal deck.

a budget cube is too complicated and requires me to fill in a buylist and spend 150$ to complete

We banned all token producing cards. Fuck tokens. Needless to say we all kinda hate some of the newer sets.

ITT: people who are bad at magic

>crybabies: the group

if the game is to hard for you piss babbies dont play
i dont want you in my hobby shitting it up and complaining things are too hard
dont make the game easier
just git gud faggit

>fuck tokens
That's what Ratchet Bomb is for.

So do you all just play the creature with the biggest power?

You must fucking love Ixalan with their dinos