/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>No thread made before 404 edition
>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Trove:
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, in /5eg/:
Where were you when 5eg died? Also favorite class either due to fluff or crunch?

People keep saying Artificer is a 1/4 caster but when I look at the table it's a 1/3 caster and literally the same as EK or AT. What gives?

>Hearing the sound of fear in your party's voices when they realize the gang hideout they're assaulting is actually being run by a dragon

I live for their dread

It's a trash class don't think about it too much.

>Anime Handling
Bards don't get as many spells as clerics and land druids. They don't get the recovery of land druids and wizards. They don't get the power of specialization or metamagic. They don't get invocations like the warlock or spell mastery like the wizard. Bards can cast any spell, but they're evidently not as good at spellcasting as the truly dedicated classes.
There are a few spells, not all native to bards, that take advantage of jack of all trades and make bards more finesse-y by the nature of those spells.
>What gives?
Retards. Retards everywhere. It bugs me too.

>Tfw party hates beholders
>Mfw instead of a dragon it's a suped up beholder

>rolling Goliath Bladelock
>decide on fiend patron
>working on backstory, decide that the Goliath is the chosen vessel for a fiend that preys on his tribe. The pact is that the Goliath gets the blade and powers while the fiend feeds on the souls
>realize that I've basically created edgy Naruto

So...do I change this? Does anybody have any reflavoring ideas

> play D&D for the first time as a player with my brother's friends
> "Man this is great, I love D&D"
> Other friend group had been wanting to play for a while, but no one had ever played so I'm DM
> Campaign goes pretty well, but idk if I enjoy being a DM. Keep thinking "man I just want to play as a PC"
> Friend runs a oneshot, halfway though start thinking "i would so much rather be the DM right now". Can't stop thinking how much more fun it feels being DM.
> Start to think I'd rather just DM forever

Am I a mutant or something?
Being a DM feels so much more fun and rewarding than being a player, how is there a DM shortage?

Yeah either change the Goliath or Bladelock part I don't want to be associated with your kind

Because being a DM sounds scary to players. You ask a player about DMing and they always say

>I dunno, I think I'd be okay at it, but I'm not good at improv

We just let them keep thinking DMing is hard and scary so we can keep enjoying it

How does /5eg/ play assassin?

>convinced DM to let me play Glamour Bard before its release
YES
Now, do I try to charm the party with my first performance before joining them and mess with them a bit or not?

I'm making paladin subclasses based on the seven deadly sins (it makes sense in the setting). What can I do to make greed, gluttony, and envy feel different from each other?

As a dip for Shadow Monk

Watch Seven Deadly Sins on Netflix or Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood

Made a PotA Paladin for an upcoming game. On paper, they’re awesome: misty step and ensnaring strike are ballin and you get advantage on Magic saving throws.

Anyone played one before/currently? Not intending to play a budget druid, but instead a protector of the balance between civilization and the wild (specifically areas with fey influences).

I'm actually watching FMA:B right now. turns out tieflings in my setting work a lot like homunculi in that show (the scene where Ling became Greed), so my girlfriend wanted to show it to me. It did give me the idea of Envy having Disguise Self as an oath spell, and I've got an idea that they can "borrow" any item within a certain distance because they need it for a task ("This enemy is vulnerable to bludgeoning, so I'll make that guy's hammer teleport to my hand")

Last thread died so I am reposting this. I am DMing, the party defeated a rich dragonborn that used a Shield Guardian and the barbarian got the amulet. How does the mechanics of a Shield Guardian work with PCs? Is it too overpowered for lvl 8 party? How does the ability that halves damage in the Shield Guardian work with the ability of halving all damage except pychic for the bearbarian? In a fight commanding a shield guardian takes an action or controling the guardian is like its own turn?

Going to DM for a group thats never played before.

How long should i make the starting session? I want to to include atleast 2 encounters and some very obvious plothooks.

>tfw America is a sinking ship

I have to get out of this country as fast as humanely possible. What's a good country for someone that only speaks English? Any day now the powder keg is going to explode

I've got a degree in nursing if that helps. I need to get out of the USA aka TNT permanently as I believe something terrible is going to happen on a catastrophic scale

keeping it fifth ed related, nice work user

I guess Forgotten Realms is okay if you wanna be neighbors with a bunch of action heroes, but otherwise idk why you'd ask that here.

wouldn't it be better to dip for Shadow Monk level 6 and take the rest in Rogue, at least for DPR

Wrong thread, but Australia? England? Basically any english speaking county would work.

Maybe even New Zealand? They seem pretty quiet and out the way of global issues.

Man, we got ambushed by Venomfang in our last session. Our level 3 party did not fare well. I mean, I get that it's not undefeatable, but 18 AC is hard to get past when this thing can oneshot one or more party members that aren't barbarians in any given turn, so you really need both a high-damage party and good control spells to minimize damage.

I'd initially intended to lock it down with my Warlock's Phantasmal Force, giving us a few free turns of damage, but by the end of turn 2 we'd only done 8 damage and everyone was nearly dead, so I managed to make it think another dragon was stealing his loot and got him as far away as possible while we bravely ran away.

On the plus side, he got so pissed after being unable to locate the party that he ate all the cult members, so there's that.

go the Nz, australia is full

Is there a way to create a life jacket or life raft in 5e? I'm a heavily armored dwarf cleric who's about to embark on a seafaring campaign, and I just know I'm gonna wind up in the water

>Level 3
Ouch nigger, you should've been at least 4 and at best 5 before fighting him. My level 4 party scraped though by me using all my 2nd level slots on Protection from Poison on melee characters and me and the Ranger standing far, far away with longbows.

Not even going to ask what kind of /pol/ shittery is going on, but besides the other countries mentioned, Germany is generally pretty easy to get around with only English. Finding a job with your degree also shouldn't be hard.

You have a water walk spell that doubles as "Help, I'm drowning" spell

Got one in my game right now, with a "protecting mortals from evil spirits and spirits from evil mortals" shtick. Works great. Mechanically, they're paladins, nice and strong. Plenty of ways to hook them into different plotlines. Good choice, hope you have fun.

depends on if your want to do character creation prior

I'd plan four hours and keep the group on task with character creation so it takes an hour or less.

Do LMoP, run Colvilles intro dungeon in a small town North of Neverwinter.
Party comes back to town, innkeeper says "you did pretty well, my old friend Gundren is looking for people like you"

Shitload of bamboo logs, sealed air-tight.
Alternatively, magical items. There's literally a vest meant to function as a life jacket.

Possibly but I liked that mobility and later abilities for monk a bit more. Also already had a skill monkey so didn't want to step on his toes other than helping with stealth.

Waterdeep is pretty nice right now, they're just coming out of the spell plague issue so real estate near the graveyard is well cheap...Just don't go out at night or you'll be the start of some level 3s quest

Session time always changes especially with new players, so flesh out what you have out and improvise whatever comes up.

6 man 5th level party in a game I'm running has expressed a desire to,all get flying mounts eventually. Specifically, wyverns.

Need ideas how to diversify, equip, and handle wyvern mounts, I've just got writers block about going about this.

nice, I was dm'ing LMoP and my party convinced a group of goblins that were attacking them to team up, I planned for the gobbos to backstab them but the party was overwhelmingly nice to them. Then using faerie fire and arming the gobbos with crossbows they found in the redbrand hideout they killed the dragon without a single player casualty. Many gobbos died but the wizard began casting gentle repose on them and vowed to bring them back once the party had tracked down the means to do so.

Are we getting Warforged and others in XGE?

Strap balsa wood to yourself. Or coconuts, or inflated bladders.

What is /5eg/'s opinion on warlocks?
Specifically, how does Pact Magic's relative weakness compare to the advantages gained from the Pact class features?
How does the overall Warlock's magical ability compare to a Wizard or Sorcerer?
Does /5eg/ believe that overall magical capability of a Warlock is equivalent, greater, or lesser than that or a Wizard or Sorcerer?

Unfortunately I only have access to 2nd level spells currently. But that is gonna be a fun spell if we fight any submerged enemies.
Interesting
Gonna invest in coconuts

At minimum, you're a shitty Fighter. Anything past that really depends on the type of game, what Invocations you get, and how often your party stops for short rests.

>How does the ability that halves damage in the Shield Guardian work with the ability of halving all damage except pychic for the bearbarian?
The barbarian takes 1/4 damage, the Guardian takes 1/2 damage.
>In a fight commanding a shield guardian takes an action or controling the guardian is like its own turn?
I think it takes its own turn.

Yeah, I know, but it's not like you know beforehand that you're gonna be fighting a dragon or even how powerful a dragon is supposed to be (the plan was definitely not to fight it though, we tried to trick it but it turned out the cultists had duped us and told the dragon beforehand that it could eat us).

Thing is it's extremely hard to even fight it at range since it's got a 80' flight speed. Even running away at full speed is hard since most characters can only move 60' or less when they double move.

Sounds fun. Our DM isn't big on NPCs and would undoubtably not have a small goblin army accompanying us, especially as combatants.

I was pretty confident on my own survival chances since my quasit (chain) familiar was immune to poison damage, basically giving me free advantage on saves against the breath weapon, but winning was almost impossible. Maybe at level 5 when everyone gets extra attacks it'd be more feasible for our party, but we're not that high damage (Warlock, Ranger, Bard and defensively oriented Fighter).

No races in XGtE. They felt they added plenty for now in Volo's.

Warlock is more like an Archer EK with better spellcasting. That's the only real way I have to describe it.

One important thing I don't see people mention often, GOO Warlocks suck ass quite frankly. Seriously Feylocks get the equivalent of an extra spell on a short rest with their AoE ability and Fiendlocks get more tankiness, but Goolocks suck.

>Not being your GOOlock's patron

Thanks!

>Using this shit
The idea was kinda cool the first time in an edgy way, now it's about on the same level as playing Coldsteel.

Strap a gnome druid with Water walk on your person

Level 11 Shadow Monk seems like a nice sweet spot too

I've been trying to theory craft Shadow Monk Secret agent type character. Rogue Assassin is nice for the sneak attack effect. Warlock seems like a possible 2 level dip for Devil's Sight also. That'll extend your dark vision range and allow you to see inside of Darkness for teleport shenanigans.

Do you mean GOOlocks in general or being the patron?

They're definitely less magically capable than Wizards or Sorcerers but that doesn't make them bad. They're useful in campaigns where long rests are scarce and they have a few fun passive abilities that don't require spell slots (like free Silent Image castings and so on).

IMO they just need one extra spell slot at level 1 and then progress as normal. Needing to short rest after 1-2 spells for most of the game is awful. Eldritch Blast (+ its invocations and Hex) is very strong but also very boring very quickly.

A good Warlock isn't just Pact Magic. A good Warlock is Patron, Pact Magic, Eldritch Invocations, Pact Boon all assembled together. Anything less, and at least you've still got good at will ranged damage.

Which is true. After all, we aren’t tying to play pathfinder now, are we?

First timer here. I’m going human barbarian, thinking of taking the bear totem warrior. I took Great Weapon Mastery and I’m wondering if it’s worth just going all in on barbarian or multiclassing into fighter for two levels. Action surge, fighting style for two handed weapons and secone wind look great

multiclass into fighter for 3lvls to get battlemaster maneuvers that help with being a barbarian

Being the patron, it's an interesting idea to develop but at this point I would never allow it in a game that wasn't starting high level because there's just too much that never makes sense with it.

As for the patron in general, I'm not a fan I guess? The whole GOO thing kinda ebbs and flows in popularity and right now it's not that popular so it's kinda fun to have one in that party. When it becomes one of those things where every game is just a GOOlock trying to out-wacky the last GOOlock it gets fucking irritating.

I was just shitposting

>tfw have a GOOlock in my party
>tfw playing his patron as an old forgetful librarian with a child's curiosity about the modern world
I'm having fun and nobody can stop me

Depends. Barbarian is very front loaded and gets all their best stuff at levels 1-5, however once they hit level 11+ then they start getting amazing stuff again.

If you don't think the game will get to that point then feel free to multiclass, but straight Barbarian's fun. Think what the character would do.

Good.

Up to you man. You could multiclass after 5 levels of Barbarian, since they don't get many great upgrades after Extra Attack. Don't delay Extra Attack, though.

Bear is amazing, although all Barbarians are really bulky (the non-physical damage types are not *that* common). Wolf is useful if you've some melee buddies, and Eagle adds mobility.

If you dip 3 levels into Fighter you could go Champion and make Brutal Critical that much more effective.

>5e
Lol

>tfw playing his patron as an old forgetful librarian with a child's curiosity about the modern world
See once again, it's probably my own personal tastes about roleplay but I find things like that irritating as a key part of a character rather then an NPC. I like having patrons as big, scary and something that you learn more and more of the bad things about as you grow in power.

Not as a little piece of fluff that just kinda hangs around for all levels. I feel like it loses impact if you even introduce what the patron's true personality is to the Warlock below level 7ish, and I'd rather the rest of the party doesn't know until they're powerful enough that what they do actually effects the patron.

Once again, that's my preference with stuff like this. Throwing the Warlocks patron as an NPC from level 1 that the party knows feels like having a Cleric getting a visit from god at level 1.

How do you make a deal without meeting them? Also wouldn't clerics at least feel the presence of their god? At least when they cast spells?

See I didn't really give the patron a way to contact the warlock until level 3, when he got his tome, said patron is a talking book that sleeps in his backpack most of the time, and even then, the warlock isn't actually aware he is a warlock, he has no idea where do his powers come from, and how do they work, which makes for some neat stuff happening when he runs his hand over a wound, and accidentally casts Healing Elixir while trying to figure out if he can heal people with magic, and stuff like that, while the patron comments on some of his quirks or offers insight when the party ask some question, even if his knowledge is a couple thousand years old.

3 levels of fighter is maybe worth it if you plan to use reckless attack a lot and you're also a half-orc.
Otherwise, it may still be worth it, but don't do it if you expect to reach level 20 and don't do it before level 5.

And here I am just thinking of doing a Changeling GOOlock that's just something trying to pass themselves off as a normal human for whatever reason but they lack experience with it and simultaneously don't make a "real" effort to trying and hiding what they are, so they're just left hopelessly confused as to why people look at them funny.

1/3 spellcasters get cantrips.
Artificers don't.

I'm not saying "1/4 caster" means anything, but that's probably why people are saying that.

Do you see any problems with houseruling PC death like this?

>Defy death: When you are reduced to 0 HP, you can choose to stay standing. If you do so, you immediately take one level of exhaustion. Then, you make death saving throws at the start of each of your turns as usual, but you are not unconscious and can act as normal. At 3 failures, you die. At 3 successes, you gain 1 HP.

One thing to note, melee hits are no longer auto-crits when you are conscious, so only count for 1 failure instead of 2.

Oh the Warlock has had contact with them, they know very little about them though and chances are have not seen them in person very much. Chances are the deal was made through direct mental or spiritual contact.

To put my Cleric example in perspective, a Cleric feels the energy of Tempus in them when they battle, when they cast a spell they have faith in him to make sure it works. That doesn't mean they regularly pay ol' Tempus a visit every sunday for tea. He's still a damn god.

Warlocks patrons are slightly different in that they're normally weaker, and don't usually give the power directly so much as give the Warlock access to ways to gain their power. The basic idea is the same. A level one mortal has not met Asmodeous, however in time of need he might have been effectively mind raped by him and made a pact. A Fey Lord might have contacted him in his dreams and etc.

It allows one to heal themselves, but, at the same time, they are still target to attacks, so I'd say it's fine.

I guess that makes sense

Why 1 hp after 3 successes, that's better than RAW.

Yeah, I was thinking when a good time to multiclass was and I’m already level 3. I’ll wait until 5 and then I’ll switch it up, though whether it’s for 2 or 3 levels I’ll decide later.
He’s not some frothing-at-the-mouth lunatic, he’s from a tribe that live in the woods and venerate a bear spirit as their god. He wants to be a shaman for his tribe one day, so stuff like Spirit Walker appeals greatly

Multiclassing is the epitome of munchkining and I absolutely refuse to allow it my table and refuse to play any games where it's being abused. 9 times out of 10 it doesn't fit naratively and makes 0 sense from a lore perspective most of the time.

I just introduced that way of doing it because I like to have all classes represent a reasonable equality of powerlevel.

A level 1 Wizard is probably fresh out of training, a level 1 Fighter is probably a trained soldier of natural talent who's a little wet behind the ears and so on. Having Tim the guy who's mates with Cuthulu doesn't fit that.

Ritual caster feat could be a thing to take on a shaman-barbarian.
Shit like augury is fun.

k

sorry user, but those two options are 100% locked in. I'm a perma DM and I rarely get to play, usually only in short campaigns or one offs in between my standard sessions. So when I play, I like to play things that would normally not make it to the table. Hence the Goliath Warlock

anybody else got any ideas on how to change this?

thats bullshit and you know it
I want to make a fighter with one level of bard for flavor reasons, is a level of bard breaking anything for a fighter? probably not, or at least I can't find a way.

Multiclassing itself is hardly the problem, you likely just have problems with the players. And yes, problematic players are more likely to multiclass, but that shouldn't poison the well.
It's fun.

>Orcpub is kill
F
Anyone know of a good free PDF editor?

Dang I just wanna be a robo man

Homebrewery?

MPMB's sheet is great. Only problem is that we don't yet know if he'll be able to get Xanathar's into the sheet or not. the free version on DMGuild definitely won't, pretty sure it's not even up anymore.

I don't need another character generator, although if it has a list of UA related things on it that'd be nice.
Every PDF editor i've used to fill out a character sheet has either been extremely shitty and eats the sheet or doesn't save any changes.

MPMBs has all of the current UA info

Athletics Expertise would be noteworthy to grab, and a pair of Healing Words every day means an easy way to saved downed party members. Vicious Mockery also offers a ranged option that doesn't require a lot of weapon juggling.

It's not exactly a power option, but it offers a lot of distinct benefits that an average Fighter might not really mind.

That said, I'd personally say limiting multiclassing to 1 level gets rid of the biggest abuses, but I don't heavily restrict it anyway

Because "you are now stabilized at 0 HP, and conscious" is kind of weird? Unless you want them to stabilize and fall unconscious.

Going to run Death House for 2 friends and 4 randos this Saturday. Death House is lethal, but with 6 players they'll be fine, right? I sort of want to kill them, but not in the first 3-4 hours.

Suggestions for running it?

I am DM helping a player: What is the best way to multiclass a lvl 5 or 6 character with levels in paladin and rogue? And what if it has levels in paladin, rogue AND fighter.
The character wants to have a rogue that can fight and have some spells. The caharcter is in fact a dragonborn rogue (that could fight pretty well) and in one adventure he became part of a big paladin order that thought he was a hero but in fact he just wanted to join to learn the spells and gain more power.

Goliath's are all about competition and one-upsmanship. Maybe play it like you thought you were hot shit then got dumpstered by a fiend in a challenge and were forced to become his servant?

This is the kind of shit I am talking about

I use Multiclassing when I want to make a really specific character concept that doesn't have an existing subclass. Like my current character is a Dragon Knight, I wanted a guy who was a knight who used dragon magic. I used Paladin and Dragon Sorcerer and just took every fucking fire spell in the world and fluffed that I was spitting fire all over the place. I took Green Flame Blade and smite spells for Paladin. It's fun, it's great, I love it.

I have a backup character who is supposed to be a guy who got caught by the Wild Hunt and took the "join the hunt" option. He's a Moon Druid and an Archfey Warlock, the Moon Druid part is just so he can turn into a Hound but having a bunch of naturey spells is still fun.

Massively tone down post-boss sequence, it's way too lethal.

All that does is restrict options, and most of what you can get from a 1 level dip you can get in feats already.
>1/19 i.e. cleric-wizard, warlock-abjuration wizard, UA ranger or shadow sorcerer or barbarian or so forth / Almost any class, also life cleric - bard or druid - life cleric
>2/18 i.e. paladin-sorcerer or sorlock
>3/17 i.e. warlock-paladin or champion-barbarian
>5/15 i.e. any extra attack class - rogue
>6/14 i.e. other extra attack archetype class - rogue or bard-paladin
>2/2/16 i.e. fighter-sorlock
>1/1/18, 1/1/1/17, etc
Particularly with regards to UA

The 1 level dips are the most cancerouis of all, generally.

Even with 6 players?