Minor Magical Items

I've got a game coming up, starting from first level, and I wanted to get some fun, minor magical items for them to play around with. I really like clever usage of simple items to get around problems, so I'm trying to come up with a list of magical items that aren't very powerful or do one very specific thing but might have potential for clever use. Got any ideas, Veeky Forums? I'm not looking for things like weapons or armour, or anything that directly and obviously is for use in combat, instead stuff that players can use to get creative. I'll post a couple I've thought of already.

>tl;dr - weak but fun magical trinkets

>Campfire Charm
A tiny red jasper charm in the shape of a stylised flame, set in a disk of unknown, flameproof wood. When placed on the ground and activated with its command word it begins to build up heat for 3 rounds. On the third round, it creates a warm, comforting campfire that produces bright light in a 30 ft. radius and dim light 30 ft. past that. It will continue to burn for up to 12 hours before deactivating automatically, but can be stopped before that by speaking its command word again. It will recharge if exposed to body heat for one hour. The charm is hot to the touch while building up heat and while lit, but cools instantly when deactivated.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/DMAcademy/comments/4vuvda/joke_magic_items
scp-wiki.net/scp-539
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Friendship Amulet
A tiny pale-blue chalcedony amulet, carved in the shape of two hands clasping together on a thin leather rope. When worn, it grants advantage on Persuasion checks against any non-hostile creature that has shaken hands (or other appropriate appendage) with the wearer within the last ten minutes. The creature must have willingly shaken hands/appendages with the wearer.

(If you couldn't tell, these are for a 5E D&D game. Probably shoulda said that in the OP.)

>Breeze Charm
A small green quartz charm carved in the shape of a cloud. It has a small mouthpiece on one side and an open hole on the other. When blown into, you may create one of the effects of the Gust cantrip. The strength saving throw to avoid being pushed back is DC 10. It can be used this way three times per day and regains all its uses at dawn, or if it is exposed to strong, natural winds.

>Downpour Amulet
An azurite amulet in the shape of a droplet of water. It is constantly damp to the touch. It can be activated by holding it aloft and speaking its command word, which will cause it to rain lightly for 30 minutes. It will not work if the user cannot see the sky. The rain is enough to douse very small flames and dampen things, but not much more beyond that. It has only one charge and will not regain that charge until it spends 12 hours submerged in liquid water.

I think I'll just bump with some nice rocks for now. I hope you like rocks!

fucking rocks
how do they work

Pretty, aren't they?

Pretty sure this isn't exactly what you want, but this Reddit thread has a bunch of funny joke magic items: reddit.com/r/DMAcademy/comments/4vuvda/joke_magic_items

My favorite:
>Glowing sword of orc detection
>When it gets orc blood on it the sword glows.

Thanks user, I'll take a look.

Pint o' Plenty

A pint mug that produces 0.1 pints of mead when filled with 0.9 pints of mead.

Also SCP has some great ideas for magic items. SCP-539 I think fits the bill and can easily be adapted. scp-wiki.net/scp-539

>The Disc of Distraction (or something more catchy)
>A small round metal disc. When thrown, it causes an event nearby that is extremely distracting to all creatures in a nearby vicinity. The intensity of the distracting event, however, is proportional to how difficult it would be to distract someone. So it may just cause a screaming hawk to fly by if the only person around has ADHD, or it may cause a huge monster to appear if everyone around is really focused on something.

imagine stepping on that in the middle of the night when you get up to take a piss

A good reason never to keep geological formations lying in your hallway.

Can you magically fix someones gaze to an object and then throw the disc?

That's actually pretty neat for an orc.
It's like a flashlight that requires blood to function.
Metal enough for the orc.