Monk pictures and discussion thread

My DM thinks monks are lame and told me after two sessions that he doesn't like monks at all and that he doesn't think they fit in anywhere and are just weeaboo silly things. I tried to tell that something like Diablo 3 shows how you can fit in these types of characters in an otherwise typically "western" setting. He was not convinced. I don't agree with him but don't wan to ruin his aesthetic of the world either so I'm thinking maybe I should reroll. I need monk pics though so please post them. And any tips on low level monks would be appreciated.

Tell him that he's a ignorant fuck and that monks have a wide meaning besides kung fu fite men

>monks have a wide meaning besides kung fu fite men
Not in DnD

I like monks. I don't like Shaolin bullshit monks in anything but a Chinese setting. I'd tolerate dumb Chakra-channeling Indian monks over that dumb shit.

Nah. People who try to pitch the martial artist Monk class as a Western-style priest monk are being dumb. It'd be more sensible to have it be some tribal style dance-fighting or something like that. Something elves came up with in the woods or whatever.

Courtesy of Francisco de Goya.

Use monk class as a basis for a boxer/wrestler. You'd have to refluff a few things in your class but the mechanics would work

Also, pic related

I like the idea of maybe replacing the Con+Dex Natural armor with a Con+Wis Natural Armor, giving him this holy protection. Then he could be forced to wear only his holy robes and carry a staff which would later be more and more buffed the stronger he gets.

What I had in mind when I started was a bit like a budai guy who's more of a non-combat sneaky character primarily, a greedy monk cast out from hsi monestary, but when we got into combat I was quickly punching werewolves and running and jumping vast distances so I thought okay, this is a more high fantasy setting, we have rangers who shoot lightning arrows and sorcerers shooting massive over the top spells so I figured, well then my guy simply uses a type of spiritual magic to move his body around quick and his punches work the same type of magic, it's not actually physical (monks punches even do magical dmg later iirc) and at that point I thought, well then this is more of a diablo 3 style world where these fast, more typically eastern monks fit in.

I had an idea to maybe make him more like a Little John type in apperance and change his unarmed strikes to instead just be his quarterstaff to make it fit into a more western europe setting, but since we were already in this high fantasy thing I didn't think it broke the aesthetic, so I was curious to see what others thought of it, if they think the same.

>Ignoring Friar Tuck.

He's basically the same as my old character, can't hold himself in a fight without involving eastern ki mumbo jumbo

In DnD monks only are barehanded fightsmen.

Friar Tuck's a strong mofo, tho. He's just not in the best shape and really likes alcoholic beverages.

monk with a gun? cool

>I don't like Shaolin bullshit monks in anything but a Chinese setting
how is one supposed to play a monk not like one in DnD then?

>Be St. Moses the Black
>Be actual black Egyptian, no kangz shit here
>Beat the love of Christ into armed thugs with your fists
>Even your icon looks like some cool Jedi shit

I also hate how D&D forces weeaboo bullshit on monks. I don't mind monks as pugilists because that's a niche to be occupied, but I think you can justify it in a more occidental manner. It's a guy who took a vow of poverty, abandoning all material wealth. That just means he has to kick dragon ass with what God gave him: a good ol' pair of fists. Throw on minor divine buff spells to taste.

I like martial artist as a class, I don't like all martial artist as monks and vice versa tho. But the fighter monk is a really great background even if it's not western accurate, they are monks who learned to fight in order to protect their monasteries that were constantly being raided becuse they were easy targets, change some things and it'll fit the setting also giving it a unique spin, but your DM looks like a faggot who just want to have Not!Europe

>Be actual black Egyptian,
He was Abyssinian

Sounds like a shit DM, lad.

Exchange "kung fu" for "pankration", "ki" for "pneuma". You get an western (ancient greek) flavored "monk". Call the class "brawler".

Use a dwarf which punches lead a thousand times every day, after mastering the levels of sand and salt. He is learning to control the four humours within his body through metabolic alchemy. Exchange DEX for CONS as which adds to armor.

Check that with your GM.

that sounds cool thanks

The swap from DEX to CON actually helps the monk a lot more than you'd think since one of the monk's biggest issues is that they have four stats they need above average in order to fully utilize the class' features

Kick his ass. It takes a certain kind of loser to hate on monks.

Literally came to see if someone posted this.

Tell him he should probably play a different game entirely.

No really, D&D was never supposed to be a pure renaissance Europe simulation and functions at it's best when you let it be a weird mishmash of stuff from different era's and places.

your DM is right, D&D monks do not fit at all in a western fantasy setting.

Good thing he's playing D&D, then

Since I am assuming your Monk is intended for combat, you should look into historical Warrior Monks in Western culture. And that, one could argue, manifest in the form of a Templar. Less hand-to-hand, more weapons and armour. And strictly pious to the point of fanaticism.

However, that more closely resembles a Paladin or a Cleric, but without the magic. So calling it a Monk becomes more flavour than mechanics.

I wonder, could the different branches of Christianity have different abilities (Monks, Clerics, Chaplain, Paladins, etc)? Catholics use lots of Relics in battle, Protestants can cast faster and with faith alone albeit less abilities, Orthodox can summon Saints to aid them in battle?

Also not in Diablo 3. They try to hide it by making the monks white and with a few Eastern Orthodox trappings, but they're still doing fucking kung-fu.

Nah, kung-fu Friar Tuck is fucking awesome and ought to be the default alternative in campaigns where the DM has for whatever reason decided that Shaolin monks are weeby.

>Catholics
>Relics grant various bonuses to casting except on Fridays. 90% of relics are fake though.

>Protestant
>Have the ridiculously OP power of changing perks every twelve seconds, offset by the compulsion to change perks every twelve seconds.

>Orthodox
>Can set shit on fire and perform other clearly evil actions without ever being called out as evil because they once converted two orphans or something

>offset by the compulsion to change perks every twelve seconds.
kek

>They'rrreee Great!

It's more a matter of how much backing you want to have. Catholics are a world power unto themselves, complete with their own spy network and enormous amounts of money (both fueled at the same time by the sale of indulgences,) but if you don't want to do things their way, or if you offend your immediate superior, they will turn all of this power squarely against you. Protestants are lone wolves - you get to do things your way, but you get no help even from those closest to you, and you'll inevitably end up fighting other protestants. Orthodoxy is somewhere in the middle - you've got this pack of murderous psychos to call on, but the one thing they won't save you from is themselves.

Jew here
I thought protestants were like
>Yeee haw if you ain't protestant you gon' git shotgun'd son

'Sup with all the rainbow tolerance?

>Jew here
Put your claws in the air and do not try to shapeshift!
>'Sup with all the rainbow tolerance?
You invented it so you should know

Depends on the kind of Protestant. There's a lot. And they cover a lot of ground.

So if you've ever wondered why a small town need like ten churches, that's why.

It's getting easy now