/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Trove:
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, in /5eg/:
Share some times you've thought you're being smart, but you were actually retarded.
I'm making a murder mystery, and the obvious solution is asking the dead man himself through Speak with Dead. In order to make it more challenging, the witness will be in a tomb, and tomb will be undead-infested because a necromancer broke into it.
Damn, what a good idea for a dungeon.Wait, shit, vikings didn't really build tombs, did they?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Xz2CA3FK6wA
vikings.textcrit.com/neo.htm
homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

My Party is going to do a Halloween One-Off where we're all playing monster races or "monster-fied" re-flavored races. I'm doing a Franken-Goliath.

Help me cobble together a real short and sweet backstory?

Couldn't you just have the witness/victim be attacked from behind?

No, because the whole murder was invented specifically as an excuse for a dungeoncrawl.
When they find him, it turns out that his (and only his) body was cremated, not buried, which makes Speak with Dead impossible. Strange!

>Mountain Dwarf
>STR 16 CON 16 INT 14 WIS 13
>Forge Cleric 1/War Wizard X
>become the manifestation Moradin

Play a hill dwarf cleric and use sacred guardians all day and then dodge action.

Forge cleric is best if your DM lets you use it but I'd call you a faggot for easy AC-stacking on csaters.

The attacker was using a disguise spell, wearing a hat of disguise, was hooded, the man didn't get a good look at him due to low light and hit from behind etc. The ways to solve your problem are fucking easy, but you'll have to ensure there are at least two to three clues the players will 80-100% find otherwise it can get frustrating.

>Drag Sorc's Elemental Affinity adds Charisma modifier to ONE damage roll of a spell
Fuck, does this mean that a Gold Dragon Sorcerer's Scorching Ray only gets the Charisma bonus to just one of the rays? I've been letting a player add it to each ray. Is it too strong the way I've been doing it?

Oh nevermind

xth for multiclassers dindu nuffin wrong

x+1th for multiclassers did shit wrong but multiclassing itself is innocent

You tell us. Sounds like you've been letting your player do it for a while. Is it too strong for you? If yes, nerf it, if no, leave it be.

In the end all that matters is what works for your table.

It's not really too strong. Does devalue casting other low-level damage spells, but low-level damage spells sucked dick anyway.

It's only overpowered if the other players aren't good at playing since sorcereres themselves aren't inherently very strong.

Roughly how legit is the White plume mountain adaptation in tales from the yawning portal?

Im reading through it and the bounty for sir bluto is 10,000 gold dead or alive which seems like an insane amount for an 8th level party

So I'm playing a Monk and my group
(Human Monk
Human Rogue
Goliath Barbarian
Half Elf Sorcerer)

is about to get to level 3 within the next two sessions. I'm thinking path of the open palm or Kensei from Xanathar/Unearthed Arcana. Which would Veeky Forums recommend?

Paths of the shadow/sun soul/long death and others don't really work for my character.

Following up on this:

I'm looking at making a tiefling warlock with the Raven Queen as his patron. In my head, he's a real Quasimodo type, hard to look at and generally distrusted by society despite being a pretty okay guy. Since he can't find normal work he's had to resort to digging graves and doing other odd jobs for the local church (which really only tolerates him out of pity). After spending so much time around the sick/dying/dead, he's developed a strong sense of the balance that must be maintained between life and death and sees himself as someone whose job it is to ensure a smooth transition between the two for those in need.

As an extension of that, he's also adamant about snuffing out any trace of undeath wherever he may find it, but I'd like to avoid delving too far into Paladin territory if I can help it.

So my question is... can this work? Is it a shitty idea? Which pact would be ideal for a character like this?

I fucking hate making maps.

Kensai for the damages (Aka why aren't you a fighter?)

Open Fist for maximum control. Dex strength and con saves. Target what suits your target best. Knock down, shove, stun, and be a general asshole.

How do you reconcile that fluff with him being a high charisma character?

I think both are good. Palm if you want to control enemies and eventually do Pai Mei shit. Kensei if you want to be good with dat d10 die longsword and a longbow.

Can a creature on the ethereal plane with a ghost touch weapon make attacks against a creature on the material plane?

Open Hand is generally good, and of the two will work better in conjunction with the rest of your group.

Change him to be more of a Rasputin type, disgusting to look at but strangely seductive and can manipulate himself into positions of power

Depends, I think. I don't see charisma as something that directly equates to physical attractiveness, so I think it can still work.

He's intimidating to those who don't trust him, and to the people that get to know him he's lovable in his own weird way.

Or this.

Should I tell players when enemies reach 1/2, 1/4, and sub 10 HP?

After watching that Vampire Maskerade episode I think I may have finally cracked this whole Lycanthropy mechanic bit
Whenever a cursed individual makes an attack roll or ability check they also have to roll a white d20
On a 1 on that d20 the thing they're trying to do goes in the direction the curse would oblige them to do

1/2 is enough, if even that

Sometimes mystery is better

Forget physical attractiveness, the force of personality bit matters a lot. He's literally better with his words than others, so being completely asocial is an odd fit.

I'm thinking Kensei, my monk is basically a humiliated former mercenary who had his sword hand crippled by an opponent. He's been practicing with his off hand hoping to get revenge on the guy who beat him.

My current thoughts are
1. He accepts his injury and realizes he's better without the sword than he ever was with it. I would go with Open Palm and kind of a good acceptance style story.

2. He uses his Ki to help him use his sword in his off hand (Jedi using the force to help with their Lightsabers style). I would go Kensei with a darker revenge based story here.

I haven't fully decided what I want to do yet.

I usually just indicate when an enemy is at 1/3~1/4 HP by telling the players that they're starting to look rough/bloodied/etc.

Depends on your group.
Our DM confirms whether they're under 1/2 and sometimes adds "he's really low", "he's pretty much unharmed" or something.

>3rd Merles episode in a row

youtube.com/watch?v=Xz2CA3FK6wA

FUCK

Fucking Mearls

Kensei can wield a longsword in two hands - at lvl 3 though, so maybe your hand is healed by then

I just describe the enemies reaction on being hacked to pieces.
Sometimes they look more hurt than they are, and sometimes they don't seem hurt at all even while being on death's door.
>fighter misses 3 GWM attacks on a skum with 4 HP

That makes sense. I think it'll be a bit of a stretch, but I'm sure I can find a way to make it work. He's definitely meant to be intimidating, so I'll probably have to commit more to that than anything else.

Can someone who has balls to watch it make summary? Though we all know it is probably just Merals speaking random shit.

>High level fighter gets crippled in his weapon hand
>becomes a low level monk
I'm stealing this and you can't stop me

I toyed with the idea of dipping into Pact of the Blade Warlock at some point and making a pact in exchange for my patron healing me but it'd be sub-optimal as fuck.

It can make sense if people are turned off by the looks, and he never gets to the point of really interacting with people. But something should still be there. Or he can just goes around intimating everyone with his looks.

>talks about how it's a callback to 2e and the Blade kit
>bitches about bonus actions
>some stuff about bard MCs in DnD novels always seeming like they'd belong to this College
>talks about how the swashbuckler archetype sometimes doesn't work for rogues since they always get pigeonholed into being "the trap guys"
>College of Swords is essentially a way for bards to bring some Errol Flynn-esque flavor to their gameplay

That's about it, really.

Well, assuming he works with the church and digs graves, it stands to reason that he's likely to end up offering some sort of funeral services as well.

I guess I could make the case that over time he developed the skills necessary to console people (the ones willing to listen to him, anyway) and guide them through their grief. I'm sure it's also possible that through the years he'd pick up on different techniques the clergy uses in order to persuade and inspire people.

I think a case could be made for it, at least.

Steal away, I like to try a different class every time I play 5e now and this is my first monk. It's a nod to how I used to play only fighters.

Create Undead has a material cost of 150GP of Onyx "per corpse"
Since there are tecnically no corpses when I'm casting Create Undead to re-establish control over previously created undead, does that mean that such castings don't need Onyx as a material cost?

/5eg/, what are your best Halloween themed characters?

walking corpses are still corpses

A ghost

Fuck me I'm hitting Lore Bard 6 next session and I can't decide my spells.
One slot will go to Counterspell obv (we have no other magic user other than a druid of the shepard (UA))
No idea what I want to do with the other slot though. I'm always so slow as shit to pick my spells because there's always so many I like.

Maybe I'll say fuck it for once and just grab Erupting Earth or Fireballs to actually have a way to deal some damage since I'm mostly concentration spells right now.
Gotta decide the normal bard spell I get at 6th as well too. Is Major Image decent? My DM so far has been pretty lenient with my Phantasmal Force shenanigans.

I tried my hand at making Variant Lizardfolk based on different species of lizard. What do you think Veeky Forums?

>When you make a melee weapon attack as part of your Attack action, you can...
Gee, no bonus action required. Was it really that hard?

Counterspell is garbage

I like it, but it seems waaay too complex for a 5e race.

vikings.textcrit.com/neo.htm
Actually looks like a good setting for a D&D dungeon even. It's of course not that big, but with magically assisted construction they totally would be bigger.

It's as much as a decent sized ship, you decide if that's too much.

Fly is a cool spell

Komodos irl are stronger than crocs btw

Yeah who would ever want to stop their enemies from casting spells.

Then why can't I turn random Undead into zombies or skeletons with Animate Dead?

Aura

What did you use to make this?

Could you be a tiny bit more specific.

I love these (especially the chameleon one) but I feel as if these should be racial feats instead of subclasses.

homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/

Go forth, user, and create.

>homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/
Thanks family

Hey guys can I dump some monsters and have some feedback on them? I've been working on converting monsters from 3.5 to 5e. I want them to "fit" with 5e, in wording and in how their abilities work. Like, for example, I *could* have a monster buff itself to give it +2 to hit and that technically wouldn't be against the rules, but giving advantage would be more in line with 5e's expectations. Also the way things are phrased, such as how multiattack works. I'd love feedback on some of these creatures that I plan to upload soon. Also if there are any monsters in 3.5 that you liked, that you would like to see converted to 5e, let me know with a reply and I will try to get working on them.

Seems pretty cool. I was actually considering making Lizardfolk more prominent in my campaign, so this is nice

woops, forgot the monsters.

So if I cast Levitate on a creature with a fly speed and it fails the Constitution roll, what happens? The spell description leads me to believe that a creature can't move unless touching a surface, and then only at half speed, but common sense dictates that a creature that can fly could just... fly away. Unless the spell roots it in place? Genuinely confused here, I'm probably being retarded but it's driving me crazy

Here's the mercane someone requested a few threads ago.

What skill would you apply to figuring out alien technology?

My session ended last time right after I cast Detect Thoughts on a wizard NPC. I've been trying to think of ways to use this to my advantage besides the surface thoughts I've already gathered. Background is we just ran into a few higher-ups from a savage tribe we've been clashing with in a hidden tomb. No one wants to fights because we recently realized both groups are searching for objects to avert an archipelago ending disaster (and the fight would be a toss-up, they're really powerful). They have this new wizard we've never seen before, apparently they're using him to teleport and scry and other stuff they aren't generally capable of. Most of the stuff the wizard says makes him seem mad, but the detect thoughts I got off under the radar showed me his actual thoughts are a lot more organized. I don't want to delve deeper and let him know I'm in his head, but do you guys have any ideas for subtle questions to bring some more info to the surface of his mind (ie if he's going to double cross the savage tribe)?

It can just use its fly speed.

See that's what I figured, thanks user!

Just throw a knife?

Closest is probably nature, as in knowledge of natural sciences, but it is quite a stretch.
But i guess there are some checks that don't use proficiency bonus - let them roll just inteligence.

No they fucking aren't dumbass

What does that have to do with anything?

I'm thinking of added a "gadgetry" skill. It would be modded with INT

>Starts casting
>Bard unsheathes a dagger
>Throws at the caster
>Resumes fighting

I think moving away from the 2e "be fast or lose the spell" school of fucking up wizards was one of the worse parts of modern D&D

It's just usual Mearls bullshit. 3:30 of unrelated anecdotes and about 15s of actual mechanical talk.

The only thing that differentiates a skill from an unnamed ability check is a skill might have proficiency bonus attached to it. If there's no opportunity for a player to gain proficiency in that skill then there's no reason to have it separate from a generic INT check.

In DnD how does magic work? Is it verbal, mental do you need to make hand gestures? Do you need a wand or staff?

"Gadgetry" could be a good skill for Thieves and Artificers, too.

Okay so you're talking about something that's not even mechanically in 5e, great.

What do you guys recommend getting for a first time player? What's a good site that sells miniatures?

I was thinking of just getting the 5e Player Handbook, some dice and some minis. And getting a spellbook on my phone

Sometimes

Right, however, I will be giving my players the opportunity to become proficient in this technology.

It technically is, since only sorcerers have Con save proficiency (I hope your DM isn't the kind of jackass who just gives every NPC caster Resilient Constitution for the sake of combat autism) . Hitting a caster is a perfectly acceptable way of messing with their concentration.

Yes, spells almost always have a verbal and somatic components, requiring you to say words and make a certain gesture. Some also require material components, like a small amount of bat guano to cast Fireball, or diamonds to cast Resurrection, for instance. However, a focus, a spellcasting implement that can take the form of a staff, can remove the requirement for most material components.

Wands and staffs, meanwhile, are usually magical items with spells inherently tied to them. A Wand of Magic Missiles lets you cast the Magic Missile spell, for example.

Unless the bard prepared their action beforehand to do that as the wizard casts, therefore forfeiting their other attacks/abilities that turn to do so, it wouldn't work. Plus the DC to maintain concentration is 10 for anything below 20 dam, so basically a coinflip. Is it worth it, bardcucks?

Android has 5e spellbook and the trove has the PHB Monster Manuel and the Dungeon Master's Guide. Having your own dice is excellent and you can get some good one off of amazon, don't go for a pound of dice get a couple of sets.

Yes and no

Everything depends on the spell basically. Psionics are "mental" but iirc have implied somatic components in most editions (the 2e Psionics manual goes into a surprising amount of detail into the fluff of casting psionics)

Thank you, kind Anons.

Thanks
Hahahaha I did read most of the book

>Plus the DC to maintain concentration is 10 for anything below 20 dam, so basically a coinflip. Is it worth it, bardcucks?
Wait, I thought it was 10+damage

You can't interrupt someone mid-cast by throwing a dagger at them, though, and even if you could it only affects concentration spells. It does shit all if they're about to kill you with Finger of Death or Disintegrate.

What is the Trove? I was going to get the black and white free pdf on my laptop but I figured I would annoy people with my laptop and the battery would die during long sessions.

He was talking about 2e

In old D&D you had to announce you were casting at the beginning of the round but the spell was only cast at the end of the round, damage would cancel it

The DC is either half the damage taken or 10, whatever's highest. So unless your dagger is doing 22 damage at least, it's a 50/50 chance that a 10 con wizard will fail the save.

As far as I know without actually looking it up again the DC is either 10 or half the total damage taken, which would have to be 20+ to be more than ten, but I could very well be wrong