Gaming with people from other cultural backgrounds

So I usually game with white people and white washed Asians but next week that will change, a new player is joining our campaign, his name is Fernando. He is from Honduras (or Guatemala, I can't recall).

So I was thinking that your classical Arthurian fantasy might not suit him, being brown and from a non western nation, so I was thinking to have in my world an equivalent of Aztecs, you know people who run around sacrificing enemies to the gods, wearing bird feathers and jaguar skin. How should I implement this to not make it too forced? Also when you play with minorities do you do the extra work to make them feel invited?

Ask him if he'd prefer to play in that setting. Some people don't vibe with that aesthetic, and they might prefer Arthurian, but you wont know until you ask.

Talk to him like a person, tell him, what you are playing and whether they are interested.
Amusingly enough, what is basic and stock for you, may be exotic and rarely explored for him.

Hmm, I you threw that sort of game for me, I would be very honored but also certainly madly annoyed by all the things you got wrong. But I'm a huge history nerd.

But do what the other anons suggested: Ask him.

>I was thinking that your classical Arthurian fantasy might not suit him, being brown and from a non western nation

Are you actually stupid?

Seriously, if you change the campaign that much with no prior warning to the rest of your group, they will almost certainly comment on it, which may well cause him to go "wait, you changed the campaign setting just for me?"

Don't set up false expectations of entitlement. If you set up an expectation that your new guy will be pandered to, he may well throw a shitfit as and when the pandering stops.

If the guy refuses to play in your capaign without it having (INSERT CULTURE HERE), then he's not going to be good for the group. People who ONLY play certain things very rarely are.

Equally, he may also turn around and go "but I didn't want thing in the campaign", which, if you changed the campaign setting to include thing, is really not a good thing.

Every fantasy setting ever has a not!asia just off the cost for people to be samurai from, no reason not to have a not!mexico as well. It was closer after all.
>Also when you play with minorities do you do the extra work to make them feel invited?
I have never made any effort to make minorities feel included at all. Don't see why I would. They're just people, play with them like you would anyone else.

(you)

Something like Maztica from the Forgotten Realms

If you don't want to run Arthurian fantasy because it makes you feel weird in that context, fine, whatever. But don't go with Aztecs or anything you think is relevant to his cultural background, because you run the risk of being insultingly inaccurate.

Hell, run an Egypt game. Then you can still have people running around on pyramids sacrificing people to the gods.

No because I don't have crippling social anxiety you autist

Well meaning and honestly, super offensive.

If you can't even remember where he's from, then I don't think it's a good idea for you to shoehorn in a culture to make him feel represented (incidentally the Aztecs were based in Mexico and subjugated their neighbors so he might not be keen regardless).

Moreover, it sounds like you don't actually know anything about the culture you want to appropriate to make him feel comfortable. And while you don't necessarily know anything about the historical analogues to Arthurian fantasy you at least are familiar with the cultural context around them, and certainly the pop cultural context.

Can you pronounce Tenochticlan? Can you explain the proper way to worship Quetzalcoatl, or why he was important? I'm guessing no.

Stick to what you know, and don't make an offensive parody of a similar culture to your player's just so you can feel like you're progressive.

Silly OP, everyone knows king Arthur in one way or another.

I do not have social anxiety, stop projecting you mouthbreather.

Just asked and Fernando seems to be from a country called Chile (I googled it and it's next to Argentina). I guess I'll just go with Inca based people then. Humans who worship the sun, love gold and make pyramids.

We live in a world with a globalised mass culture. People will have the same access to the same basic images and fictions you have. Something like Arthurian fantasy doesn't have an authentic connection to Europe/America/whiteness, it's just as much a modern pastiche as a Mesoamerican fantasy world or whatever would be. So he'll 'get it' just as much as you would 'get' the fictional world of like Princess Mononoke.

You could ask him what kind of fantasy he wants instead of being an autist masking your stereotypes as concern.

Be more subtle next time, OP. I don't play with minorities because I live in an ethnostate.

There's a phrase for what you are suggesting. It's called the White Man's Burden

>I don't play with minorities because I live in an ethnostate.
Found one

This is a good idea.

I'm Mexican but I really dig slavic stuff, especially Poland

It is a well know fact that Chileans are aryan princes, though.

You should so lucky, I am actually of a far more insidious breed.

This screams I'm trying to be friendly and inclusive but I'm subtly racist, must be bait.

They're a first world country that got put in south america by mistake

I dunno, I wouldn't want to have the devil's breed anywhere else.

Aztecs were more western than WASP americans, pinche americano

CHI

That would work.
If you want to avoid the not!aztecs being evil (since they are pretty much the absolute textbook definition of normal DnD evil) then make sure they are right that sacrificing people is the only way to keep the world (or at least their part of it) alive, and play up the voluntary sacrifice aspect as much as possible.

Slavic? Chinese?

>So I was thinking that your classical Arthurian fantasy might not suit him, being brown and from a non western nation
This must be /pol/ bait.
The west is probably the number one exporter of culture. People would probably be more comfortable playing in a setting where the GM knows what the tropes and expectations are rather than some hamfisted "I'm being inclusive!" bullshit.

Either research the incans (just read the wikipedia article or something), or just do what you were already going to do.
If you're going through with it keep in mind that chile also has more highlands, mountains and desert than it has woodlands.
It would probably be better to have the not!Incans be a foreign country from the one the game is set in. Have the option of a character coming from there, or as a potential place for the players to go to but not as the focus of the campaign.

Stop being a autist and stop forcing shit on your setting for muh diversity
*takes your port*
Why where they so based?

chupense essssta pija giles

>unironically using white washed
>thinks he needs to cater to a minority by throwing up stereotypes.
>treating him differently because he's brown.

god why did my ancestors ever get off the boat?

If you're not making a bait thread, I pity you, because what you wrote was dumb.

But to answer your question: no. I don't add things to games because of playing with minorities. I add things to games because they're cool and under/poorly used. Adding things just because a player is from some minority can lead to all sorts of problems. Just do some research and make up fun stuff that draws from all around the world (if it makes sense in the setting).

mexinigger here, first he is from honduras aztecs were only in mexico, try mayas, second it will feel forced, third is dosen´t matter we are not sjw we don´t care just don´t call him mexican, is a similar thing to chinese and japs

Just play the game you want to run you nigger.

I treat all of my players exactly the same. I even have a pretty embossed card made up for when people complain. I have them saifd card if they start piulling polityics, SJW, X-Card discomfort nonsense, or any other 'pity me' type nonsense.

>I treat you all the same.
>You're just flesh and blood
>bones and screams to me.
>You want special treatment?
>Be a corpse.

If your game would not work with pseudo-Aztecs or seem out of place or forced, you should probably not put them in the game. Do not try to appeal to people for being from a different cultural background or you will invariably offend them.

You will offend his mapuche pride. incans are a peruvian thing

ask him about soccer he will feel happy, don´t forget to tell weon culiao everytime you speak to him, he will feel included that way :)

Dude, chill out. Western is an arbitrary term. Someone decided to mark the prime meridian where it is. western culture, outside of the cowboy genre, is usually implied to be western European and, Greek/Roman philosophy art/culture/philosophy.

That sounds like a pretty cool idea OP.

Not only from a "trying to be inclusive to the new guy" POV, but also in using a newish setting. I'd say try not to make it too over the top. Allow for characters to be from a different place that isn't the not-aztec empire without being conquistadors. Try not to overload on not-Nahuatl type words for the setting.

In my play group we're practically all minorities. 4 hispanics (2 of them jewish) and 1 white dude, so I guess we don't really focus on that. I've been wanting to play a Jaguar warrior for a while, but since we play so infrequently and the campaigns been going for a while, I'm still on my other regular armored human warrior character. I love the character so theres no problem tho, lol.

Personally, I label Japanese culture as Western culture.

Oh, another thing. People who are new to DnD might be itching to do a straight forward fantasy setting regardless of their background. So while keeping the new guy's different background in mind is cool, he might just wanna play a version of Aragorn or Gandalf or something since he probably likes those characters if he wants to play DnD.

@56046104
You'll get no (you) from me

He's from Chile?

lol speaking as a latino I'd say he probably thinks of himself as white unless hes actually seriously dark skinned. He also wouldn't have any connection to the Aztecs as they're from central america/mexico.

Honestly, with Chileans or Argentinians I'd say go for the typical whitebread setting as they'd probably see that as "their" culture.

Chileans are more western than Americans. When I think of the western world I think of the renaissance, strong families, art, the descendants of the Roman Empire. When I think of Americans I think of fast food, school shootings, denying evolution and global warming and chopping up a part of your dick. Which doesn't sound western at all.

So you'll be fine playing classical western fantasy, unless he is from a tribe.

You outdid yourself, OP.
Fuck off still.

What's offensively retarded is thinking southamericans haven't watched LotR or read a fantasy novel.

>cultural appropriation
>real

Literally not a thing. Culture is inherently plural.