Would you do this quest?

>The masses are demanding physical evidence of their god(s) existing
>Can't let them know that he (they) died or unleash mass hysteria and chaos
>Not!Pope wants to hire your party to revive the god(s)

I'd do a lot of things if the price is right. Even if the obvious twist that we're actually reviving some sort of demon or elder god it's cool.

I punch Chris Avellone in the face, call him a hack, and leave the gaming table.

Maybe, but only if my character could subjugate the gods in question.

The idea sounds okay-ish. It all depends on how well it's executed. I'd give it a shot at least.

We accept the quest and fabricate the evidence.

Played that, it was one of the worst games I ever played, the system did not help.

HOL' UP
Wait a second

Doesn't the Ontological Argument for God dictate that God is by its very definition the highest possible being, and that if there were a higher being than God that being would be God instead? Wouldn't the very death of God prove that He's not God, even if He were somehow revived? Wouldn't that make the entire effort a fruitless endeavor and only cement God's non-existence even further? Wouldn't that only further prove that which the papacy wants to prevent from leaking out? What happens if I confront this Being X with this conundrum? Would he admit to all peoples on earth that the gig is up and we've been tricked for literally our entire existence?

I need some answers, pope-guy!

greentext?

Only if there's no Death God in order to explain why people can still die if all the gods are fucking dead.

>Ontological Argument for God
*laughs in polytheist*

Namely the game was a huge railroad based on the quest alone, I did not enjoy it nor did the system itself save the game.

I think the assumption is the gods aren't truly gods and we need to revive them to maintain the illusion.

This probably means the clergy will murder us afterwards.

The world was dying but the god (s) gave his (their) life force to save it before anyone could really notice.

Alternatively, God might not be dead as we understand death, merely asleep / hibernating / "dead to the people". That doesn't contradict the idea of Him being supreme being that can't be overcome, yet still justifies the need to "revive" or "awaken" Him.

I like this explanation.

>instead, end up becoming the gods' replacements

You mean they're pulling a Death of Superman and just sleeping really, really deeply instead of being actually dead?

Or, something like pic related. Beg him to come back or at least get the idiot to leave us alone.

Well I've always felt like tax exempt status should require proving god exists if I have to prove that a dependent exists. On the other hand why the fuck do they think they can just hire somebody to revive a god? What the fuck could random mercenaries do that they couldn't?

Assume your party did some wild and awesome shit few people could do.

There's a big difference between physical evidence and living proof.

>realizing the idea of one true God is fleeting
>filling your spiritual void with multiple gods
Theism not even once

I'm trying to, but with the flimsy premise offered in the OP I'm just imagining a priest throwing a sheet over someone that says "GOD" on it and hoping that will calm down an angry crowd

1. You're known to be awesome and for hire
2. You belong to some militant arm of the church and this is your duty
3. It's Just A Prank Bro and you're the only one dumb enough to fall for it or they just want to get rid of you

Personally? No. I hate physical and provable gods, it spits in the face of the very concept of faith, which is the only thing that makes religion interesting over mortal politicking. Maybe I'd be along for the ride if it were a king who had died and the advisor was trying to keep a takeover from happening from the relative that killed him, but bringing deities into it is just asking for a bunch of GM "I can do whatever I want because GODS" horseshit.
It's doubtful any of my current characters would do it either, with the exception of one who would have to learn more about the god and how they died first.

Id try to see what amount of bull shit necromancy would be needed to res a god

One idea is that there are many "leads" and they are hiring many people on the down low to follow these leads and you are just one of these groups. You possibly have a handler to keep you in line and in the dark.

Ever read this novel, OP?

If not, you should. It will give you some good ideas.

God being omnipotent is a rather novel thought. In most pagan religion the gods are basically superheroes, not omnipotent, or even omniscient.

Well, the OT God didn't know where Adam and Eve were because they were hiding behind some trees.

They weren't just any trees though, they were Eden trees.

Everyone knows Eden trees have a non-detection effect that even God can't get around. I mean did that guy even read the bible?

I think God was just giving them a chance to show themselves of their own will like a parent would for a child hiding because he did something bad.

If notPope can't revive the gods how are the party supposed to accomplish this?

Alright.

If a small child has done something wrong and the parent knows it, it is not uncommon for the parent to ask them if they did it anyway. God was -obviously- giving them the opportunity to take responsibility for their actions and be honest.

The Not!Pope will sacrifice himself when the time comes.

City 17?

totally this. I would generally prefer this approach. god is dead but the plebs need him, so we do things that look like divine intervention.

Kinda like Almalexia did in Tribunal.

Why go through all that trouble of returning a dead god back to life when you can worship the still-living god Razmir?

Praise be to Razmir!

>God being omnipotent is a rather novel thought
It's also a natural end product of the cultures of the Levant and Mesopotamia, since a lot of their religions were basically collections of "My God can beat up your God!" "Can not!" "Can too!" and so on and so forth.

Yeah, but it's really not supported in the text. There are a variety of situations where omnipotence would have created a much better solution, but nah fuck it.

Like, he could have brought Abel back. But nah, what's done is done, gotta exile Cain and make a new Seth-babby. Plus the whole situation with the Plagues of Egypt don't make a lot of sense if he can just magically fix everything. There's tons and tons of examples of this sort of thing. The evidence almost overwhelmingly points toward a "very very powerful deity" not a "literally infinite power" deity.

Ayy

That's not how YHWY operates though. Life is imperfect for a reason, it's not supposed to be all happy and rainbows. In Christian thought life is basically a test if to determine whether or not you are worthy of heaven. Despite living in a corrupt world you can follow God's rules.

If every wrong was righted by God, we would be living in heaven, not on earth. Do you play sim city with infinite money and disasters off?

Probable. But it also seems dismissive of the huge cultural technology that an all powerful God really is. In most pagan thought the Gods couldn't see, and didn't give a fuck, about the individual actions of humans. They cared and saw about mass rituals performed on behalf of cities. Only the greatest heroes, usually warriors for the city, were given an afterlife resembling heaven. It was collectivist in the way it considered gods' relationships with man.

But in Christian, and Jewish (though to a lesser extent), God sees the action of every single person and judges them all as individuals. So every person is responsible for their own salvation. The idea that every person has agency and responsibility for their own lives has immense power. The success of the West is proof enough of that

>In most pagan thought the Gods couldn't see, and didn't give a fuck, about the individual actions of humans
This isn't really true. Most pagan gods saw and cared about the sacrifices made in their name, even small, daily ones, done in their honor before every dinner. If they didn't help you in your time of need, well that's on them because the gods are fickle, not because they don't exist. Pagan gods were also a lot more direct in their blessings, and a lot of tiny, good things were often attributed to the god you just recently offered a sacrifice to (or promised a future sacrifice to). A lot of pagan gods (even the early incarnations of Hebrew and other Levant gods) were much more about the individual and immediate rewards than later, more abstract deities. The stories and myths were rife with them helping out individuals they liked and fucked over individuals they didn't like. Abstract concepts like afterlife or salvation didn't much figure into religion at that point in time.

The bigger problem was that richer people could offer better sacrifices and thus get more success in life and offer even bigger sacrifices. Christianity's success in the early days come mostly from the fact that it was the perfect religion for the underclasses, those who had nothing but suffering in this life anyway, so they idea that their suffering would be rewarded in the afterlife while the greedy fucks in the temples got to burn for eternity turned out to be a very attractive one.

please no bully hes too pure for this world

Rude