Lets have a thread about magic shit. Spells, items, locations, tips and tricks, sick magic strats, what have you

Lets have a thread about magic shit. Spells, items, locations, tips and tricks, sick magic strats, what have you.

I'll lead the discussion.
>What is the greatest magical item you have ever used?
>Whats your favorite spell?
>Whats, in your opinion, your best moment of magical mastery?

Wand of Wish Breaker
Charm Person
Physically knocking over the giant eye of Not!Balor propped up on a handcart and having it's baleful gaze slay nearly 100 orcs sitting behind it ready to charge into the castle.
Not very magically masterful but it was a masterfully magical moment.

Taking magical sites from other sources can make some interesting features.

>A strange fountain in the woods which flows not with water, but with flame
>A geyser of flame
>The cursed site of a battle long ago
Let me open dom4 and find a few good ones.

I have a particular interest for the concept of normal objects or locations becoming magical simply by being steeped in enough magic for long enough. Like the idea of a massive library stuffed full of incredibly powerful spell books becoming a powerful magical site due to just soaking in the errant arcane energies from the books, or a similar concept with a magical item warehouse. Or another idea was a journal that became an incredibly powerful grimoire because the journal entries are about such ungodly magical subjects (like a travel journal about traversing countless planes) that just writing about them is magic.

I'm not even through C and I've got a dozen adventure locations already. And I avoided most of the specific structures, like Castle Arcanum.

One of our campaigns ended when the party rogue put a portable hole in a bag of holding right next to the BBEG (yes, yes, "ugh" I know). Then, while in the Astral Plane, snatched the boss's Amulet of the Planes right off his neck and popped straight back to the party, leaving the BBEG stranded in the Astral Plane for basically all eternity (or more likely until he starved to death, dude was a regular human and we're pretty sure he didn't have a ring of sustenance).

Absolutely floored the DM. Dude wasn't even mad.

We ought to flesh some of these things out.

>Ring of Arcanic Recircuitry
>A large, brass ring with a disc ontop of it, which is separated into three pieces, with a V, a S and an M. The disc can be moved at will just by focusing on the ring. If the wearer of the ring is casting a spell with a single Component, they can turn the disc on the ring, and change the Component to another.

Seriously, you could write multiple 'sites of magical power' sourcebooks off of this.

>tfw I got a broom of flying recently

It's so much fun Veeky Forums

Did something similar in my first campaign, not knowing any better. Stole bosses "malletspace" hole and stuffed it in my tiny bag of holding so he couldn't get to it. DM changed it to gradual astral hole so we could gtfo with good enough rolls. Almost got kicked from that game so many times.

is this a dnd only thread? or is the occult detective genre allowed?
a mirror with the sacred cross, omkar, and the eye of horus in it used to either repel, destroy, or entrap any ghosts or evil spirits.

Any kind of game where magic is involved is permitted in this den of the arcane.

magic is crazy, yo

And what would you do with any of these? My players would go "okay...we move on"

Not him but considering that it's a long list of ideas and you don't need much more, I'd say that's fine - they're good as details of the world.

I'm sure you can find a good advenure location in here.

For the examples I gave,
>The fountain's flames can be safely harvested, PCs can probably make something of it
>The geyser of flame could be an interesting location for a battle, with the geyser erupting with little warning
>Battlefield has fucking ghosts and skeletons and shit

I regularly steal ideas from dominions. There's simply a ton of hidden little details that are the perfect sort of inspiration.

Classic use of mage hand.
>Hardcore assassin,
>Minmaxed bullshit bossfight
>Statline meant to take out an entire party
>We're a bunch of 4th level pricks who just got to town
>This prick has an eyepatch over his bad eye
>Fucker dodges or deflects all our attacks, even my goddamn spells
>Down to some shitty utility spells and my cantrips
>Entire party looking at me to deal damage
"DM. I'd like to cast mage hand."
>Party going nuts. Someone bitches about rules.
>DM makesm e role sleight of hand
>Nat 20
>Blinded for 2 rounds, he jumps out a window
>Set him on fire next round
>Guts inspired Paladin cleaves his head off.

And then we got arrested.

Mage Stone: Allows any daily spell to be cast twice. No charges, no penalties, just be able to use all daily spells twice
Ray of Frost. In my first ever campaign that ran for two years, It has never hit even once. It is almost the character's calling card
Sudden storm and lightning cage combo on necromorph like monsters

I love my wizard.