>Trove:
pastebin.com/raw/QWyBuJxd

>Online Tools:
pastebin.com/raw/KKeE3etp

>Blogosphere:
pastebin.com/raw/ZwUBVq8L

>Previous Thread:

>Thread Question
One day, you and your party decided to depart from Guangshi Province to Xian-zhou Province, where there is a temple you know of. It was a rainy afternoon when you set out, and when you came to the bridge leading into Xian-zhou you found the path blocked by a strange figure. You were certain a dark spirit appeared before you. What did you do, /osrg/?

Other urls found in this thread:

melancholiesandmirth.blogspot.com/2017/10/system-for-abstracted-osr-settlement.html
youtube.com/watch?v=iQC2_NJj2iA
youtube.com/watch?v=W7GaBs7x5LU
youtube.com/watch?v=Zh9u62AeOCs
youtube.com/watch?v=OGq839P7FkE
youtube.com/watch?v=2RLka6uCKAI
youtube.com/watch?v=As1lcyDAjY0
soundcloud.com/stuartdraws
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You never cross a bridge in OSR Asia. Build a raft. If the dark spirit persists, burn the raft. Go upstream until something else develops.

Have the party's cleric perform rituals to put the angry spirit to rest.

And the cliffs?

It doesn't practice the same religion.

In OSR games, when fleshing out a monster to suit your particular situation, do you retain those changes to those monsters when using them again, or to you start at stock again?

I don't think the cliffs will have an impact of the dark spirit. Keep going up-river.

What are you saying? Clerics (more specifically Buddhist Monks and Shinto Priests and Shamans) putting angry and miserable spirits to rest is the premise of a ton of Noh plays.
Give me a Turn Undead check at least, man.

No; how are you getting the raft down the cliff?

>Implying the gods give a shit if you believe in them

Dice your game shapes, my Tablighi Jamaat.

Rolled 5, 6 = 11 (2d6)

Okay then, Inshallah.

Honestly, I'd be asking how to get the raft up the cliff, I'm betting it gets made on the shoreline.

I rest for 8 hours in my Leomund's Tiny Hut to prepare an Overland Flight spell, cross the river, then rest another 8 hours in my Leomund's Tiny Hut to be full on spells for the rest of the journey.

My familiar keeps watch while I rest.t

Rolled 4, 4 = 8 (2d6)

You turn away several several ghouls, who promptly fall off the cliff.

>I rest for 8 hours
8 hours and 36 years, the rules need to change first.

Honestly I would be interested in a world based on legit fantasy China (or Korea, I suppose). I'm working on convincing a friend of mine and his wife to play (they bought Pathfinder but couldn't figure out character creation so I'm hoping to convert them before they've learned any bad habits) and his wife's from China... So who knows? Maybe I'll convince her to either run a game someday or help me make a setting for them to play in.

How do you usually determine the order that monsters attack the party /osrg/?

Reverse alphabetical order by surname.
{spoiler]or whichever's closer[/spoiler]

Any advice for tracking turns in aD&D? A lot of the dungeon crawl modules ask that you make a random encounter check every turn, do you guys track that with distance traveled in 10 minutes or do you favor a more abstract system?

shit.

that's not how you spoiler, you big gay baby

I'm sorry

A system for abstracting downtime in settlements in units of weeks and producing intractable content by both weekly expenses and opportunities for characters to interact with the settlement!
melancholiesandmirth.blogspot.com/2017/10/system-for-abstracted-osr-settlement.html

I thought "blow half your savings every week" was already the gold standard for boozing and whoring?

Rate these classes, A to F.

>Main
Fighter
Magic-User
Cleric
Thief
Elf
Dwarf
Halfling

>Extras
Barbarian
Bard
Ranger
Druid
Paladin
Assassin

Which is the most useless?

Where would you place Vornhiem in the real world? Want to run Lamentations of the Flame Princess and have my players travel there.

Russia, past Novgorod and somewhere where the tundra meets the tagia. Linked to but further up and in from Arkhangelsk.

B, C, B, D, C, A, F
A, A, B, C, B, C

If they are encountered again in the same game and the way I describe them is the same I try to keep HD and AC the same. But you can do really what ever you want. You can describe a goblin as a huge brute that is way above the average size of its species and give it different stats than a typical goblin.

OSR monster stats are so easy to come up on the fly (really just HD and AC) that it's not hard to wing it if needed.

Legit 5e strat.

C, C, B, B, E, E, F
A, C, B, B, A, A
Prove me wrong. :^)

Racist.

Don't you mean classist?

If I have a group of similar monsters I just grab a handful of D20s and throw dice around at the direction of players whose characters are getting attacked.

I had recently made/updated a homebrew game engine built upon descriptive combat encounters. The idea is that you just describe what action and what you're trying to achieve by your attack (ie; penetrate the eyeslit of their armor, hack off a limb of a giant spider, smash in a goblin's head, etc.) and roll a d20 plus bonuse. More dangerous/killing blows requiring better rolls to execute.

How much do you think this would fuck up the health point/damage system of the game? Characters and Heroes in this game still have health points and regular AC and saves, I want these so it feels fair to the players.

>most useless
Everything else than Fighter, Magic-User and Cleric.

NO MARX. THIS IS A RACE AS CLASS ENVIRONMENT. EXCEPT HUMANS, CUZ SPECIAL.

Dungeon World/10, go not pass Go, do not collect $200

You just described Dungeon World.

Because Varg the Skullfucker can pick a lock and get you into a room quietly.

OK.

Sure he can. Not having a thief class doesn't mean thiefy stuff can't be done.

Here you see the problem of the thief class. Everyone was a thief before that shitty class was introduced.

>7d10+12d6+12 hp (before CON)
>3/2 attacks per round
>thief abilities
>magic use as a druid
>charm at will
C?

This is a meme right?

It's not even close to dungeon world. Dungeon world has HP for monsters and damage rolls for characters and the whole 'roll 2d6 and succeed on 10, partial success with 7' This game does not have that. Literally nothing about it is like dungeon world. Troll harder.

That's stupid. Of course they can try. That doesn't make them good at it.

That's like saying "Everyone should be able to fight as apt as a Warrior. Give that scholastic wizard a bastard sword."

Properly represent the fruits of your labor.

>Magic-Users may arm themselves with daggers only.
I think it's a legal thing.

Does anyone know of a good, simple, procedure for hexcrawling? I've looked at the Alexandrian's and it's a bit too fiddly for my tastes. I'll probably come up with something on my own, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

>Buy "World of the Lost"
>Never look back

I'll admit, I was not evaluating them on mechanical effectiveness—I consider this their usefulness as game structures, especially with regards to how "flavorful" they are as character options.

>using LotFP shit
>buying LotFP shit
Nice try Zak

>It's not even close to dungeon world
It kinda is though?

Fuck Zak. Rafael's shit is legit, tho. I stand by WotL.

It's not stupid. It's how things were before thieves were added into the game. Thief is a shitty class because it does stuff that other classes already do but in addition it just has magical hiding abilities. Old school thief is really just a redundant piece of self-justifying crap.

You didn't respond to his question. He asked "would this fuck up the health point/damage system of the game?" and you responded with "it's literally dungeon world". That's not relevant, not what was asked. You're shitposting.

It's how things are still done, you dolt. Everyone can have a 1-in-6 chance to do any thief skill.

Thieves just created a class to do those things better over time while skipping out on the fighting/magic end of shit.

I don't know how you retards can't see that.

>let's make a new class that does the same stuff but only better
Sounds like really good game design.

There's literally no way to answer that question with what little information that poster gave about his system.

The answer depends on whether or not you like Dungeon World.

>Thief shitposting again

If you don't like the class, don't fucking use it. It really is that simple. Don't waste another 50 posts of this thread, please.

>debating valid points is shitposting
I'm sorry, but this is not your safe zone bubble.

You don't make sense.

Fighter = great fighting, bad magic, ok skills.
M-U = bad Fighting, great magic, ok skills
Cleric = mediocre fighting, good magic, ok skills.
Thief = mediocre fighting, bad magic, great skills.

They all serve a purpose. Your masturbating over OD&D's corpse wont change that.

There is not shortage of threads, you can't 'waste' posts.
And it's your own fault if you have to scroll past trite gab.

A song, for you.
youtube.com/watch?v=iQC2_NJj2iA

>You were certain a dark spirit appeared before you.
That would be an ecumenical matter. The cleric chucks half a blessed brick at it while the rest of us hide behind a tree and shout encouraging words.

Though there was only enough brick to last 1/7th of a stride, the block bridged the whole of the ravine! What a strange country.

How much info do you hide from your players? Things like monster stats, monster health remaining, saves and such. Would you ever consider rolling your player's damage and/or saves for them, just to keep it even more a secret?

Anyone have a copy of Hex-Kit or it's Tile Packs (Fantasyland, Traveling Through Dangerous Scenery, Spaceland)?

I track combat turns and guesstimate the rest.

I remember OSRIC had some good suggestions for guesstimating the rest. I like to use those.

Does anybody else ever find themselves forgetting to Keep Strict Time Records (tm) and then having to guess how long it's been since you lost track? Any tips for building that into my routine so I don't forget as much?

Wargame style, i roll and then one party member rolls, who wins moves his shit first. No order, cuz slowing down combat is a shitty move.

Fuck Bards. I hate the concept.

I think that Clerics are already pretty good Fighters (heavy armor, solid hit points, and relatively cheap advancement with a middling attack progression, even if they're mediocre in the weapons department), so that leaves limited real estate for Paladins.

On the subject of Clerics, I don't personally find Christian-themed religious guys to be very interesting, but role-wise, they certainly fit into the game.

As for Assassins, I like the concept, but they can be a bit crowded by their similarity to Thieves, at least they way they tend to be done.

Barbarians are also a matter of execution, but it's nice to have a Fighter alternative.

I'm a big fan of Rangers as outdoor skillsters.

Druids are an interesting concept, but the execution usually feels a bit off to me.

Race-as-class Dwarves and Halflings are a bit too close to Fighters for my taste, but I'm okay with the concepts. I'd just want to make them a bit more distinct. Halflings should probably move a bit more in the direction of Fighter/Thieves, and Dwarves should maybe pick up some of the mechanical aspects of Thieves (dealing with traps, opening locks and so forth). In addition to maybe some unique stuff, that is.

Elves are great as Fighter/Magic-Users, though they tend to be a bit overpowered. Magic-Users could use a larger repertoire of spells starting off (just 1 spell per day is bullshit), and maybe get a bit out of hand at higher levels, but they're certainly interesting. I guess I've got a bit of a swords & sorcery bent though, and the extreme specialization on spells and uselessness in combat is a bit much for me. If I had designed the game, they'd be halfway towards Fighter/Magic-Users.

Fighters are solid, as long as you've got a good GM who isn't afraid to improvise modifiers and be colorfully descriptive.

But I can't really rate the classes, because there are too many variables at play. Am I rating the concept of the class, the potential, or the class as-is (and which as-is)?

basicexpert.info, from the 'online tools' pastebin has been down for a few weeks now at least.
Which is a shame because I really liked their turn tracker :(

Does anyone have a link to a good video of people playing B/x or something? I want to get a feel for how the older editions should be played.

Abolish classes now! GLORY TO THE PROLETARIAT!

But the revolutionary class sucks.

Mentzer drama aside, this is pretty alright: youtube.com/watch?v=W7GaBs7x5LU

There's more videos on the same channels but here's some examples:
youtube.com/watch?v=Zh9u62AeOCs
youtube.com/watch?v=OGq839P7FkE
youtube.com/watch?v=2RLka6uCKAI

Here's a much longer play session from guys who are new to the playstyle:
youtube.com/watch?v=As1lcyDAjY0

post it. Please.

I need to save it.

Not a video but this is pretty good: soundcloud.com/stuartdraws

The audio quality is shit because I think that's an old recording but the gameplay is good.

On a related note, are there any classless OSR games? How well would one work?

None that I would classify as OSR considering all the systems the OSR are emulating are class-based.

They probably do actually, insmuch as they get mad if you don't. Probably how that guy got turned into a dark spirit in the first place, tb h.

How many times have you asked this question in recent /osrg/ threads? Do you think one is just going to materialize out of thin air if you ask often enough? I refuse to believe that like a dozen different guys just coincidentally and sequentially asked this question.

First time for me, actually. I only pay attention to /osrg/ sporadically.

Have you noticed how many times people have asked for hexcrawl procedures recently? It seems to happen at least once per thread. Sometimes lots of people just have the same question and don't realize it's already been answered a thousand times.

Somebody sell me on True AD&D™. How much of the RAW text should I be reading? What about if I go for something like ASSH? What should I be ignoring for a True AD&D Experience™? Why would I choose to do this over LBB and B/X?

>Why would I choose to do this over LBB and B/X?
If you're some kind of queer who's gay for 1-minute combat rounds.

Wtf of course I'm gay for 1 min combat rounds but I can just house rule it obviously.

Just read OSRIC if you want 1E with proper layout and easily understood english. (Gygaxianism phrasing is fun to read but not so much when trying to parse obtuse combat rules)
ASSH is more or less a variant of 1E without multiclassing nonsense (instead there's new classes), no non-humans, better thief skills and a couple of changes like that.
>Why would I choose to do this over LBB and B/X?
If you want somewhat meatier systems that are still recognizably D&D.

>Just read OSRIC if you want 1E with proper layout and easily understood english.
Only problem is OSRIC changes a bunch of shit. So it's easier to read but it's actually a fairly different game. And if you wanted "AD&D as people played it instead of how it was written" you might as well use Labyrinth Lord AEC instead.

They're fairly small changes made to skirt copyright though.
The only big one is Monk and Bard not being in it.

Interesting. Not sure I'd use this myself, as I generally find it to be pretty uninteresting paying attention to what the party is up to when the game isn't being played (and, for example, I'd rather the party find sages in-game rather than rolling for it out-of-game), but it's interesting ideas. I might use the tables at the bottom though.

That said...
>Weekly Expenses and Their Consequences
>Destitute: 15 Silver (This is barely a step above homelessness)
Jesus, dude. I've *used* your dungeon generation system with this on a copper standard. My party can barely afford to pay half that amount (well, closer to 2/3, but still) to stay in town. Actually, they can't even afford that half the time, the only reason they spend their money there is because anything lower doesn't heal HP.

>Somebody sell me on True AD&D™.
Only True AD&D™ can provide a Genuine D&D Tournament Experience™.

> How much of the RAW text should I be reading?
People who like AD&D last I checked mostly like all of it except weapon vs. armor tables because they're kind of complicated.

The official True AD&D stance by Gygax oscillated between "EVERY SINGLE RULE NO CHANGES" when he was shilling tournaments and "we threw in everything and the kitchen sink on the assumption you'd appreciate any of the bits you ended up liking and ignore the bits you didn't" while he was actually writing and editing the books. That's why AD&D introduced classes like the Monk and the Psion - they didn't really fit the milieu but Kask and Gygax went round and round about it until finally they just decided it's better to include more features than less since players can always ignore them.

Unfortunately, as the history of TTRPG autism has shown, people have a fucking hard time ignoring rules written in the rulebook. So it didn't work as well in practice as in theory. Keep this in mind as you search for your very own True AD&D Experience™.

You're probably right, I just don't like to let hipster theology slide.

Incidentally, how would one parley with a dark spirit?

Fair play. I would just recommend it as a Gygax-to-English dictionary while reading the originals rather than as a King James Authorized Official Bible Translation is all.

I don't go out of my way to hide things and my player doesn't go out of his way to find out things. Works well.

FWIW, I volunteer the party access to AC (it makes rolling easier), but not much else.

>rolling your player's damage and/or saves for them, just to keep it even more a secret?
No way. I have enough to do without dealing with that. Not to mention that's one of the few things that the player *can* do. Heck, some people have the players roll extra rolls like a dodge roll instead of AC or some stuff like that just so that the players roll more.

If Conan can do it so can varg

I've considered making one on occasion.