/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>Xanathar's Guide Table of Contents
web.archive.org/web/20171016180500/https://www.dndbeyond.com/members/BadEye/articles

>Forge Cleric - Xanathar's Guide
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/DnDXL2017_Forge.pdf

>Trove:
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools:
astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>Resources Pastebin:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previously, in /5eg/:

Cute wizards edition.

Other urls found in this thread:

throneofsalt.blogspot.com/2017/10/womb-of-annihilation.html
youtube.com/watch?v=ywkHKX3EOZA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for futa dragonborn.

Not necessarily cute, but here's my lizardfolk divination wizard

Did they cast invisibility before this post user?

Yeah, that's pretty much what I had been thinking along the lines of.

>not futa kobolds

Seriously, dude, says right in Volo's guide kobolds can change their sex.

Starfinder is better than 5e

Reposting because that thread was wrapping up by the time I posted.

So I've only ever DM'd with 3.5 and was thinking of working on something to use to finally break in to 5e. Basically I've decided I'd use one of the 5e story modules and basically use it as a launchpad and take the bulk of it modified in to my own homebrew setting. Right now I'm leaning toward Storm Kings Thunder considering its a rather good looking one so far, but was wondering about opinions from anyone here who's played / run it. Any parts of the module you changed up or tried to do something different with or did you keep things mostly the same, curious what people enjoyed and disliked about it.

On top of that, anyone got reccomendations in the mechanical sense on running games in 5e? or any info in the header for the thread that I should specifically look in to? any comment would be greatly appreciated, I don't intend to actually set down to finding players for all this for a few months, so anything I can work out early would certainly help the building process.

>those proportions

>implying kobolds aren't the dragonborn version of gnomes

What's wrong with them?

Looks like that mouse knows Rob Liefeld.

>that art

So I have kind of a problem: My character has WAY out-levelled the party due to some lucky pulls on a Deck of Many Things.

I'm going to 'retire' the character as he goes off on his own to achieve his personal goal, having attained the strength he needed - but now I'm making my new character and I'm not sure how to make them. Should they be the same level as my last character? Should they be the party's level? Some kind of average?

Hey all, rate my crappy homebrew and tell me why it's bad. I decided to get back into this because it's fun.

I'm writing fluff for this project but I'd like some feedback, which I'll include in later drops. They're like genasi but more centered around damage types (as opposed to elements) and more like benders from AtLA.

Why don't you ASK YOUR DM

Head on the first one is WAY too big

In the preview, they looked like this.

I found an interesting blog post about Tomb of Annihilation:

throneofsalt.blogspot.com/2017/10/womb-of-annihilation.html

I had been wondering how to run Tomb of Annihilation in a setting without resurrection magic. The Children of Men scenario the author posits is perfect. Unborn children are more sympathetic than wizards and rich assholes trying to cheat death anyway.

just because they're related species doesn't mean they get the same racial abilities.

Well, can you tell us a bit more about your homebrew setting, it might help us get a better idea of how well it would tie into an existing adventure module?

I can only really offer so much help myself since I'm a GM who only got to try 5e for one session before I needed to get to GMing. It was all sort of a whirlwind.

I wrote up an idea for a town and adventures to be had in it, let a friend see it and they loved it, wanting to play it. So I then needed to get the books, get more players together, and hashed out a campaign setting... I tried to be vanilla but... It's gone pretty far off the rails from Vanilla Greyhawk if anyone wants to see my unapologetic cancer.

I might try to pick up starfinder some day, but right now I'm enjoying my own campaign.

Already spotted an error in my work, change the [V] in the last two into [S] for spell casting

>kobolds can change their sex biologically
>dragons refine the art through polymorph

I did, she said she's not sure what she wants to do. She is relatively new to DMing.

Eh, I'd be inclined to call Lightly Armoured a trap just because it's basically "Do you want to have to memorize and cast Mage Armour once a day" (more times if you DM actually is a stickler about dration) vs 'Spend a feat and get -1 AC but NOT have to cast Mage Armour and have an extra spell prepared slot'

Medium and Heavy I can both see.
Medium especially if you're playing a Lore Bard. That +5 AC boost (Studded to Half Plate + Shield is fucking delicious)

I rolled a Paladin with 3 odd stats in his numbers, and campaign is for human Pc's only

Is there any +1 Feat worth grabbing? Resilient CON is my first guess, but Athlete is there I guess

Make it same level your party is. Geez, man, is this your first game?

>trolls trying to force anime OPs so people can't talk shit about /pfg/ in comparison to /5eg/ anymore
Don't act like what you are trying to do isn't obvious.

Go HAM. Heavy armor master.

I'd go with party level, though it really depends on how much of a level split there already is and how far ahead you are. 90% of the time party level is the right answer

That looks so boring and generic. Literally a space skaven.

I know this is bait, but fuck Paizo for releasing Starfinder in such a broken state.

Starship combat is broken, the Envoy is objectively the worst class in the game, and a ton of the rules were wrong and had to be changed post-release.

And here I thought only video game companies dropped the ball this hard on release day.

>is this your first game
No? I've just had lots of DMs handle this in different ways.
One 3.5 DM I had made new characters start at a level below the party.
Another did what you're suggesting and had us make characters at the party level. Then again, he never let us gain non-equal experience.
The one 4e campaign I played in was if your character was higher level than the party, the new character but would be at party level, but the new character would get bonus feats/magical items to account for the difference.

I am about 5 levels ahead of everyone else. The rest of the party is about equal.

party level then

I might but I won't enjoy it.
I kinda wanted to do Redemption Paladin a lot, but relying on Dex for AC is kind of a bitch. Might multiclass with Zealot Barbarian for Holy Rage and take Menacing instead

If you're retiring the character for balance reasons, having an imbalanced character replace him does nothing to solve the problem. Same level.

>5 levels ahead

>munchkining

>dexterity as a casting modifier
No. I understand you're trying to go for something AtLA inspired and dexterity=martial arts=element magic is what you're going for, but racial spellcasting is either based on a normal spellcasting modifier (INT, WIS, or CHA) or it's based on CON.
>resistant to natural fire/cold/etc, vulnerable to opposite
General mechanic for stuff like this is advantage/disadvantage on CON save against gaining exhaustion when in a certain environment. I'm sure this is what you're aiming for. Look at the Goliath racial trait for what I'm talking about.
>Can cast 1st Level Cantrips at 0 Ft Distance without rolling attack at disadvantage
Just copy the phrasing on the Crossbow Expert
"Being within 5 feet of a hostile creature doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged attack rolls."
>cryomancer walking on water
Jesus? Why does the water freeze if they fall in at the end of their turn? Does it just spontaneously melt?
>fulgurmancer getting +10 ft of movement
That's pretty strong. You're going to be having 40ft moving Rangers with innate spellcasting scaling off their primary ability score (DEX).
>Pneumatomancer gets blindsight 40, triple range at will for absolutely nothing
I'm going to spare you the shitposting and just say that it should probably be a long-rest ability of some sort, granting blindsight for 10 minutes maybe. The DM sets up an ambush for a low level party. The party suspects something's there and the Pnemato just stomps his foot and the entire fucking ambush is just revealed like that. Fuck it, doesn't cost any resources. I'd just be tapping my feet the whole time.

Fair enough. Made the setting back when I was doing 3.5 so I was more or less building off the idea of "world 2000 years after era of wizard kings and subsequent bullshit" and as such is sort of based in this idea of an existing wizards guild that regulates magic best they can but doesn't do fuckall much else and a world sort of still scarred by magic, with the reason that there even WAS an end to the era of wizards being due to a larval far realms god getting pulled in, fucking magic up for about a week, and then exploding in to chunks because its brother chased it down and blasted it in to still magically charged bits.

said far realms brother entity ends up then founding the wizards guild some years later on because they're a control freak with their own ideas of how things should be run that, thankfully, end up being fairly benign, but his literal influence is why I homebrew that if you play a wizard you must be some form of lawful

As for the races, sort of stuck with the standard Players handbook stats stuff with flavor changes. The humans are all game of thronseing it on their side of the continent with a running shaky but ok alliance with the ogres, and perhaps game of thronseing is a poor choice of words since they don't really do much war. Dwarves are pseudo muslim egyptian dudes in culture who have had a falling out with their misty mountain heratige and smithing ability on account of being driven out by goblin invasions.

Elves are nordic barbarians more in line with tolkien's happy song, drink and story elves who can still fuck shit up. Orcs and half orcs are south pacific fisher folk with a milti island kingdom that has the best fish in all the continent, and because them and the elves are both big on sailing the two have a long history of scuffles and poor relations.

Halflings and gnomes are the only real leftouts in the mix, more or less just make them cozy farming and monk folk in the east portion of the world.

What part of
>lucky pulls from a DoMT
Do you not understand, you braindamaged bonobo?

Multiclassing is a fucking mistake

Sup guys
I want to homebrew a phantom train like in Final Fantasy VI, but I'm unsure wether it fits the D&D setting since it's a fucking train
Is there any older equivalent? Would it be too weird to just add a steam powered train? What about a similar mechanism made out of wood and moved by a mythical beast?
I could just use an abandoned mansion but thats cliche and I want the sense of entrapment and constant movement to an unknown place, plus the time limit before the train reaches heaven and everyone dies

I'm about to start DMing a campaign and I have no real overall story or themes planned out. I really just want to play out a bunch of the interesting adventure hooks I've come up with and read online over the last few years. But I don't just want it to be a generic medieval fantasy setting.

What are some interesting twists I could throw into the world to spice it up a bit. I was considering possibly changing up the themes of some of the races, like not having orcs/half orcs being the marauding and raping race, but instead something like a nomadic tribal or maritime race.

Any ideas or suggestions of interesting themes, either for races or the world itself, I could use?

It's not really munchkining if I'm showing aversion to an optimal feat such as HAM for the sake of enjoyment, and am actively looking to dilute my holy power, is it

pls help me fix this monster.

Eberron has both trains and manifest zones that could make something like this fit right in.

>not playing in the objectively better setting that has magitech trains
>not making a ghost magitech train
why even live

I was referring to giving a DoMT at such a low level without being able to deal with the repercussions, you mentally defective mongoloid.

Phantom stage coach?

Asked this earlier but I had to head out for a while so I figured I'd ask again:

I'm looking at making a tiefling warlock with the Raven Queen as his patron. In my head, he's a real Quasimodo type, hard to look at and generally distrusted by society despite being a pretty okay guy. Since he can't find normal work he's had to resort to digging graves and doing other odd jobs for the local church (which really only tolerates him out of pity). After spending so much time around the sick/dying/dead, he's developed a strong sense of the balance that must be maintained between life and death and sees himself as someone whose job it is to ensure a smooth transition between the two for those in need.

As an extension of that, he's also adamant about snuffing out any trace of undeath wherever he may find it, but I'd like to avoid delving too far into Paladin territory if I can help it.

So my question is... can this work? Is it a shitty idea? Which pact would be ideal for a character like this?

You have a weird ass fetish.

Cont.

I already have some ideas of how I want the second half of the STK game to go, or at least of what might be interesting to play out with the giants. Could also just have the Party go and fuck about with the rest of the world and see the sights. Some of which include...

An underground city of the undead headed by an ex wizard guild lich, more concerned with keeping his citizens happy and safe than anything else, and willing to help the party provided they aren't a bunch of assholes to his patrons.

The twisted peaks (mountains of madness) in which dwell abberations left over from the march of the far realms being, the biggest of which being an aberrant red dragon. There's also an old walking castle out there thats been left on auto pilot and constantly dropping magic and constructs on to the ground.

Planar storms during which the other realms leak in to the material because of residual instability from the wars, which can be as harmless as positive energy sunlight rays from the clouds to dretches raining from the sky.

For the first encounter in Nightstone im trying to think of what might be more interesting than standard goblins and ogres, considering that that would take place on the west coast where ogres are more or less content to not cause trouble with humans, leaning towards hostile fey of a sort. I also plan on scrapping the encounters the book gives for transit with Zephyros in favor of some undead shenanigans and a crash landing in the desert prompting a need to go raid the gem mountain for magic to refuel it. Beyond that though I'm not sure what I should lift from SKT and what to leave. I do have some ideas for the giant lords in the later half, but they're fairly skeletal and in need of work.

It's from 3.5 fiend folio.
I've been converting them.

That's totally fine. You could carry around a shovel and go Pact of the Blade (though Fiend is better suited for it) though any Pact would be fine.

Thanks
Is there any good level 1 through X campaign set in Eberron that you could suggest? It's my first time DMing and I want to run a premade adventure before jumping to the homebrew stuff to get the hang of it

Hmm
I know there's got to be a compelling dungeon train out there somewhere but for the life of me I cannot think of it

You still have a weird ass fetish.

Post the fiend folio version, seems like it has way too much health for cr 15.

>but most creatures die when their heads are cut off
little kek

overall seems like an interesting creature to fight. only issue I see is that any party with sharpshooter/GWM is going to rip it to shreds due to the pitiful AC, though its healing does help negate that.

This is fantastic crit, I really appreciate it. All these are incredibly fair points and ill integrate them, with blind sense having half the range of dark vision.

As for cryomancer water walking, it's mechanically a small boost over swimming (half movement). I was envisioning that ice would form under their feet as they skipped across the water. If they stop over water then they would just sink and maybe turn into an ice cube. Do you have any suggestions for a [0.5] worth ribbon?

My initial idea was to go with Tome and take Shillelagh for the early levels so that I could transition into more of a caster role as time went on. I don't know quite how viable that would be, though.

My group is small right now and consists of a ranger, myself, and a druid, so I'm not sure quite how I want to set myself up for the future. That being said, I am a little worried that I'll end up getting bored of it quickly if I end up going with Blade since I always seem to lose interest in martial characters as time goes on.

Any thoughts?

The problem with the blindsight ability is that it's at will. Like I said, a giving them ability that temporarily gives them blindsight would be optimal. If you really want, give them a blindsight of like 5 ft then let them extend it to 60 ft for 1 minute once per long rest.

I didn't really have a problem with the water walking mechanic itself, I just thought the flavor was weird, but I guess it makes sense.

5e doesn't have any official Eberron material yet. You'd have to port and convert. I feel like princes of the apocalypse would be appropriate for you though.

Shit, thanks a lot, I'll check it out

Tell me Veeky Forums how would you run a game where all the PCs are children?

One time I asked my DM if I could play a loli warlock
he let me

Good point! Again thanks. I'll integrate the suggestions and clean it up a bit.

we're listening...

Like any other game, except the world will of course interact with them as children.
I have a player whose character is a 16 year old high school student who got separated during a field trip and went on to have adventures with a Dragonborn, Medabot, old drunk lady, a scholar, and an angel fighting undead.
Somewhere out there, his face is on some missing children posters.

My DM gave our rogue some sort of strange pseudo feat that lets him deal x3 weapon damage with throwing weapons as long it's 15ft or less away but has a permanent halved melee damage.

Is that broken good, broken bad, or just broken meme? I'd figured they have to remove or rework it sooner or later because they might get bored being a one-trick pony or realize one-shotting everything is bad for everyone else. (Not that I mind, I'm playing a non-damage oriented warlock).

It was a fiend pact warlock who made a pact specifically with the left head of Demogorgon. I used a ruby-eyed teddy bear as my spell focus.

Nothing particularly interesting happened besides the few occasions where I was able to bluff my way into getting close enough to unsuspecting enemies and eldritch blast them at point blank range.

Unironically worst 2hu, OP

That would work better as a single, non-returning magic weapon rather than a feat. Seems broken to me. Especially with sneak attack

League of Legends is a shit-ass game.

>imply I don't play Dota 2, the superior ASSFAGGOT

3d6 (Javelin) + Sneak DOES sound pretty strong, but 3d6 is just going to be relevant on the first few levels and he can only sneak once per combat because he's not using melee weapons to take advantage of Advantage.

I mean, yes I understand that other features you have to fulfill special conditions just to roll one(1) extra weapon dice, but that's just +2d6 since it's not going to modify str damage or sneak attack damage. Sure it's strong, but it also locks him to throwing everything forever and that's honestly boring.

No shit that is broken.
Take Crossbow Expert so you they always be using thrown weapons with no disadvantage.

What's the best way to roleplay a monk?

Jackie Chan.

Angry drunk dwarf who forgets to use weapons
Weeb wood elf ninja with superiority complex
Rip off the personality of any pro wrestler or mma fighter

Pili puppet drama character.
youtube.com/watch?v=ywkHKX3EOZA

watch a kung-fu movie, pick a character at random

How do you build a Shadowmonk/Warlock anyway? Because I don't see the point of getting Warlock since Darkness isn't a Cantrip.

It's not a cantrip but you can also use it twice/short rest

Improved vampire character option when?
Zendikar vampires a shit.
It should be a subrace like revenant. What would you guys think of a life steal ability, darkvision and resistance to necrotic at the cost of sunlight sensitivity and a weakness (extra 1d8) to fire? What stat bonuses would you assign?

way of shadow gets to cast darkness with ki points.

>not Greeno from Last Hurrah for Chivalry or Meng Sing Wan from Butterfly and Sword

Rate my Race

Dark Troll
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Constitution, +1 Strength
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Blindsight 60 feet
Underworld Dweller: You have Proficiency in Stealth
Sunlight Sensitivity: You suffer Disadvantage on sight-based Perception checks and on attack rolls when you or the object of your attack/scrutiny is in direct sunlight.
Rock Gut: You are capable of deriving sustenance from any organic food source or inorganic substance such as rock. However you may only digest rock and other inorganic substances once per long rest. You have resistance to poison while using Rock Gut.
Uz Weapon Training: You have Proficiency in Club, Greatclub, Mace and Sling.

Yeah, so I don't see the point of of Warlock, maybe except for that invocation that lets you see through magical darkness. But that's like only 2 levels.

>gets blindsight
and your race wasn't so shit up until this point

What about Blindsight 30 feet?

I didn't know how to model Echolocation

not that user but would Tremor Sense be more acceptable?

So I should just quote poetry at people?

make it an ability that you can use a few times every short or long rest depending on how high a level they are. Have it let them see around corners but by its loud nature make it so that shit spots them easier. Can do stuff such as

Nullify enemy cover until the start of your next turn
Allow you to discern the location of an invisible entity or hidden objects beneath and around you in a radius of 30ft.
etc.

beyond that just give em regular sight with regular darkvision and light sensitivity and it should seem fine.

Use Inkarnate for your maps my dude

The same way you would roleplay a Barbarian except it's cute because the Monk isn't nearly as imposing.

Just use Eberron.

Sillylag is fun but EB spam is still better, especially if you don't have armor and you're gonna go full caster anyway.

How do I make a Touhou

Revised Race

Dark Troll
Ability Score Modifiers: +2 Constitution, +1 Strength
Size: Medium
Speed: 30 feet
Vision: Darkvision 60 feet
Underworld Dweller: You have Proficiency in Stealth
Sunlight Sensitivity: You suffer Disadvantage on sight-based Perception checks and on attack rolls when you or the object of your attack/scrutiny is in direct sunlight.
Echolocation: Your Darkvision represents sound waves and is blocked by the Deafened Condition rather than the Blinded Condition.
Rock Gut: You are capable of deriving sustenance from any organic food source or inorganic substance such as rock. However you may only digest rock and other inorganic substances once per long rest. You have resistance to poison while using Rock Gut.
Uz Weapon Training: You have Proficiency in Club, Greatclub, Mace and Sling.