If I paid you $40 would you GM for a group of normies who are new to PnP role playing games?

If I paid you $40 would you GM for a group of normies who are new to PnP role playing games?

Yeah. How long of a game

For $40 I'll suck everyone off afterwards

t. hungry yuropoor

>If I paid you $40 would you GM for a group of normies who are new to PnP role playing games?

Yes, but only if they actually wanted to play and it isn't just, like, they're there to be distracted and they're bored and disruptive if the game isn't like how they imagined it from seeing it on Big Bang Theory.

Each session would theoretically be 4 hours and you'd be paid for each session
Can you not DM a successful game like from Big Bang Theory?

I'd do it for free.

This though. I don't want them there if they don't want to be there.

You should be paying for that nourishment instead of getting paid.

They would be the ones paying you; that implies demand.
Any disruptive behavior would be a reflection of your ability to deliver an entertaining game.

Yes, then I'll run the most joyless fun-vacuum of a game, to teach them to never pay for shit you can get for free.

As long as they're actually interested in being there, sure. I might ask for a bit more than $40 bucks though, to cover my out-of-game prep time.

People demand shit they don't actually want all the goddamn time, though, user.

Most new groups can't get it for free since they have no connections to the PnP community. They don't have the where with all nor time to find/train a quality GM.

They rarely pay for it if they're not at least curious enough to give it a good try. Especially if they're dedicating hours of time and gathering friends for it.

Wrong.

Hell yes. Imagine playing with people who don't have an intricate knowledge of settings, tropes, and enemy stat blocks. That sounds great! We can have a nice simple setting that's still fun, their characters will probably be influenced by more commonly known things like LOTR or Robin Hood rather than obscure anime garbage, and so what if they role play as themselves rather than a character, that can be fixed.
I'd love to teach new people a game from the ground up.

Not an argument, bucko.

this
Theh would probably the most engaging group to DM for lmao

I'd need to know what game and timezone.
A contract would need to be drafted and notarized.

>They would be the ones paying you; that implies demand.
Except I just said I'm doing it for free.

>Any disruptive behavior would be a reflection of your ability to deliver an entertaining game.
Wrong.

People pay $60+ to bring their entire goddamn extended family to a movie and then let their retarded kids scream and wail all through it while they play on their phones. People pay for shit they then proceed to shit on all the time.

If I could overcome my crippling anxiety about GMing, sure. Might help to do it with strangers.

40 dollars per player.

I am a forever DM.
I'd rather kill myself than pay for DMing.
I love playing though.
It's kinda like how I love sex.
But I'd rather kill myself than pay for it.
It just ruins it.
Also 40 bucks is a lot of money.
A movie is half the price, and better.
I play RPGs not for entertainment but for the creative fulfillment they offer.
And entertainment, yes.
But if entertainment's all I want, I have netflix for 10 bucks a month.
40 bucks a session? That's gonna be 40 bucks a month per person if its a weekly session and 4 players.
No way.
One of my friends is a cuck who had kids.
He works like 70 hours a week to support them.
He doesn't even have access to his own bank account, his wife gets all his money.
He said he was considering paying for a roll20 game because he doesnt have time to make it to games anymore.
I literally offered to run a new campaign for him on the spot to fit his schedule, to keep him from having to pay.
Why would you pay to listen to some autistic moron drone at you through a mic on some gay ass website to pretend to be a dwarf for a few hours?
RPGs are tenuous enough in their grip on quality.
But with that tenuous grip, they are perhaps the most fulfilling and enjoyable hobby I have ever partaken of.
Don't spoil that with money.

Let people do what they like, friend user. I feel for you, truly, but sometimes people pay to get access to something they don't currently have, or to guarantee some degree of professionalism or quality.
To each their own, if nobody is adversely affected by it.

Nah that's to little assuming minimum of four hours of play time I'd need at least 12 additional hours of prep time. Right now I make 10 an hour so I need at least to compensate for lost work hours and a little extra I would do it for no less than 200 dollars and I would need in the form of a check so I can log it with my taxable income and therefore write off my D& D books and other supplies plus gas and food expenses. And it would be a great game I have over 15 years experance.

The definition of a successful game should not be gauged from a TV show, but from how much you all enjoy the game in question. What system would you like to play in, or prefer?
What aesthetic would you like? When is your availability? What age demographic is being catered to? how willing are you to learn?

>can't tell if trolling

Fair point "what is successful"
Well for this context Let's define successful as "every player had a blast."
Does that clarify what I meant?

Could you not facilitate a game like Big Bang a Theory that the players love?

For 40 bucks per hour I would do it. I know a "professional" GM, who runs games in cons for different publishers. He earns about 700$ + hotel and food per weekend. He also translates a bunch of the books he's promoting at the event.

$40 is pretty steep. You could probably get that if you're god tier but $100 a session seems like the most reasonable cut off point for the standard GM.

That does clarify.As to creating a game the players love, What aesthetic would you like? When is your availability? What age demographic is being catered to? how willing are you to learn? and how seriously would you like this game taken?

Young adult, middle class, mostly male, standard medieval fantasy, they'd be willing to learn a rules light game (focus should be on stuff happening not skills or modifiers) light hearted heroic tale (standard fantasy with humor sprinkled in.

I'm not in an argument with you. I'm telling you that your assertion is wrong. It's up to you to prove the initial assertion.

(Plus, this ain't /pol/, so no one gives a shit.)

That's only the time with the players that you are counting. You also have to calculate in all the hours I would need, to do the proper preparations.

But 40$ is per hour, are probably really a bit high. Let's say ~30$.

I proved my argument.
It's up to you to show why it's wrong. You can't just say "that's wrong."

No, you didn't. You made an assertion. That's it.

Excellent. Are you looking for an online game or for an IRL game? Do you have a preference? if online, Are you willing to use a voice client such as Discord, skype, teamspeak, etc?

If you're DMing for normies new to the game for a total of 4 hours, an hour of planning is all you would need.

This is all purely hypothetical.
But it would be done in person with people from your local area, likely from a nearby high school or college though possibly even businesses.

You don't actually know what you're talking about.

They want to play the game and be there.
If they're bored or disruptive it's because you cannot deliver a game theh enjoy.

I'd do it for free, for the love of the game

Your kind are dying out. Time and progress will grind your bones to dust

I'm literally doing this right now for three of my friends for free
Running Storm King's Thunder because the only person that's into it wanted to be a Conan-like barbarian on a quest for his father's hammer and it seemed to fit well enough

How am I wrong?

see

And what is my kind exactly?

Thats clearly a false equivalence.
What are you getting at?

That's cool dude. Friends should never have to pay for their GM friend's service. I'm just trying to bridge talented DMs to outside groups and compensate them for their time.

>Cares about "normies"
>Must make money off them if they're going to be allowed into the culture
>Pepe (not for the "muh white supremacy" reasons, you're a frogposter)

|
|>
|

You seriously spend 12 hours planning for each session?

Do you create decision trees for all possible outcomes of the game?

Wait a moment, are you the same faggot from this thread?

>any form of compensation is Jewish.
What are you a communist?

The idea isn't to extort people. It's to connect groups trying to play the game with skilled GMs who otherwise wouldn't be interested in facilitating a good time for the outsiders.

To be blunt most of Veeky Forums's knowledge cannot be described as 'intricate' unless we're talking monsterdickgirls or Grim the Darkening.

>when economists can't into normal human social interaction

No, it really isn't a false equivalence, and it's quite obvious you're speaking from a position of ignorance.

>GM on Veeky Forums who can't command a group
Color me surprised...

If this is a hypothetical and not a personal inquiry, then I'm not qualified to answer further. If you're a new DM, I recommend the D&D 5e starter set-- not stellar by any margin, but it gets the job done. If you are speaking from a player perspective looking for a DM locally, get someone to vouch for how good he/she may be-- and get it from multiple sources. If you can't find a DM locally but want to play still, one of you must bite the bullet and step up to the plate to GM- the 5e starter set will help with this. I also can recommend a series on youtube called 'running the game' by Matthew Colville. Some people don't like him, but as a long-time DM myself, he goes over a lot of excellent basics in the first ten videos or so. After that, if you want more excellent material, use runehammer(formerly Drunkens and dragons) also on youtube.
Get PDFs of the core set until you can get books, and have fun with it.
Hope that helps!

Explain how I'm wrong.

You have yet to say anything constructive and have resorted to ad hominems. I'd ask you to be respectful.

Nah, you're just an idiot trying to troll and failing to actually get a rise out of the people telling you that you're wrong.

I give it a 2/10. I mean, you got responses, but no passion, and that's what makes it worthwhile, y'know?

Thanks man, I appreciate the info!

Please be respectful and constructive. I think you're points are valid to an extent but are by no means general case.

see

No problem. Pay it forward someday, everyone deserves to have fun.

Hey, I do paid GMing. I'm also a member of the Chosen People.

Sure thing man, yuropoor that dragged in 20+ people into the hobby already, I love popping their rpg cherries.
Though I will not be strongarmed into anything without a deal/compromise, the moment someone says "but I'm paying for this", I'm out.

So if we agree on warhammer RP and everyone's a human, no you can't be a fucking orc or beastman, no i don't care that you've paid, you're free to leave and return when your asstantrum flares down. If we agree on D&D, nobody goes brooding dual-scimitar ranger that doesn't want to cooperate with the rest of the party. Either we all play nice or I'm out, regardless of pay.

Though I'd run them through an adventure with my homebrew system for free.

Shalom, How much do you get paid to DM?

$10 an hour per person. I do have to run to their sensibilities and fetishes.

Luckily most newcomers expect to be railroaded so this wouldn't be too much of a problem.
I would say you'd probably have to compromise a little bit. You can't expect a light hearted group to want a grim dark campaign.

What would happen if you had them compromise with you a bit? Ie less of their personal favorites and no fetishes
Unless that was your doing...

Yes. Next question.

What's your homebrew system like?
Is it accessible to newcomers?

What sort of game do you best facilitate?

I'd make less money. Not gonna lie, the main source of income in this gig is from catering to sexual deviants.

I don't railroad (much) and I'm extremely open to compromise; the key to a good game is making good team player characters that wanna work together, and it's really important to curb any "loner dickass thief" ideas here.
I can do grim or light, no biggie.

But I am a mediocre GM, I only excel at high stakes and combat. I don't do voices, my NPCs are 1dimensional cardboard supply or intrigue givers that don't get much shine-time due to dungeondelving. I don't do big overarching stories and campaigns, I do small, hard adventures that most often don't form up a story, more of a mercenary band goes around helping people or west marches. Dunno if I'm worth 40$, it's a weird thing to price.
I'd take it but I'd give a money back guarantee if I fail them.

That's simultaneously horrifying and expected...

How are your interpersonal skills?
As a storyteller/world builder I'm not great, but in terms of group management, narrative integrity, improvisation to the game, and community building I'm top notch.

I made it for my non-gamer ex, it's a simple tri-stat (strength, agility, power) 2d6+mod vs. Target Number or opposed roll. It's like D&D with simpler math and quicker combat due to everyone having lower health. Tried to go for an OSR feel but I missed my mark, so it's pen n paper Diablo, though this works.
Spells/abilities cast with words of power, so a Fire Burn Area is a fireball AoE that applies a burn dot and does 1 fire damage.

There's a GM-less (not really, but the GM title gets swapped around) deal where everyone gets one room in a megadungeon that they create on the spot by drawing a card. Really great for popping someone's GMing cherry.

It's pretty basic but great for newbies. Because it's great for newbies, a lot of the work is offloaded on the GM concerning what to allow and what not to allow.

Exceptional improvisation, I can pull worlds out of my ass, but group management and narrative integrity aren't my good points. I have trouble organizing games and getting players not to flake on me. What's community building?

>$40 per 4-hour session
>basically receiving $80 per day for doing what I love
>around $1600 a month, because weekends, preptime for sessions and shit
>the average monthly salary in my country is $250, if you work your ass off every workday during the 8-hour shift
So, is this a hypothethical question, or are you actually looking for a GM?

Community building is binding the players as a group and fostering an environment that develops a unique culture around the game. It turns the campaign into more than just a game; it becomes a way of life.

The hallmark of a strong community is a group chat with memes flowing about different things that happened or will happen in the game.

Purely hypothetical... for now.

What country are you from, user?

Ukraine.

Damn, I'm sorry things are so rough there man.

Oh I suck ass about that. Had one instance where that happened to me once during a 20-session west marches campaign, but that fell apart and I couldn't get a decent game going for about 4 years now due to now having players.
Still can't get players, mid-20es is suffering, everyone's working or studying; soon the wives and kids are gonna eat them all up.

>tfw when your shitty slav country is in a better state than ukraine, but it's not that much better so you're both wallowing in financial sadness

I mean, it's not so bad here. Jobs with higher qualifications receive higher salaries (about $500), but salaries higher than a $1000 are practically unheard of.

My friend has 6 years of work experience, unique qualifications specifically suited for his workplace, is willing to work both extra hours and on weekends, is the most hard-working person in his department, works in a prestigious international firm, and he still receives $900 monthly at most.

I've seen plenty of people in Convention games that want to actively play disruptive roles. This is basically a case of one person saying 'I'd do this DM job but only if they want to play a more serious and invested game' vs. players that may literally just want to good off and break shit. And sometimes, no matter how good a GM you are, you can't get people to want to come around to a more serious game.

That's fair. That guy situations are often unavoidable, but they can be mitigated and I think this board has a lot of fantastic wisdom in regards to going about doing that.

Yeah, sure. 10 bucks per person per hour, 20 if they want a 15 minute scene tailored to them, 50 if it lasts a half hour, and 100 up front for a three session campaign arc.

I've already DM'd for money but I gave that shit up after I wrapped the last campaign. Glad they had fun, but I'll never answer their messages.

If the party isn't on the same page about what they want, then it'll create unrealistic expectations that'll inevitably be pinned on the DM.

>make it like dragon ball z
>but like dark souls
>but less serious like monty python
>make it low magic
>i'll be playing a wizard
>make it super realistic
>"like game of thrones"
>maybe don't make it too realistic
>and make sure it's challenging
>but i still want to win 24/7
mfw

Just as advice for whatever poor soul you end up roping.

Why would you need to pay me?

I wouldn't mind running a game for new players.

How much were you paid?

No, dumb frogpostard.

I'd do it for free, what makes you think I wouldn't do it for money?

Nothing is better than seeing the joy of new people finding out how fun this hobby is.

When did I travel back to 2015?

Sessions cost 3$ per person, hourly.

>inb4 minimum wage is too high a price for 8 years of actual experience.