Warhammer 4Ok general /40kg/

/comfy/ edition

>Bonesinger Rules
warhammer-community.com/2017/10/24/free-rules-for-the-craftworlds-bonesingergw-homepage-post-2/

>Eldar entire codex revealed by Striking Scorpion 1488
youtube.com/watch?v=4ne8vBVT8N0&t=

>GW FAQ (1.1):
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata#40k-errata

>FW FAQ (1.1):
warhammer-community.com/2017/07/15/new-and-updated-forge-world-faqs-july16gw-homepage-post-2/

>Rules and such. Use Readium on pc/iphone, lithium/kobo on android:
>Everything 8th edition in properly converted pdf & epub, fully bookmarked and linked with in-line errata annotations
mega.nz/#F!bF0ExS4D!_XaMECn0K9HiJKUFSopJLA

>Other Megas
mega.nz/#F!64wmnBZR!rWcm37EkOOeToeueqhPjpA
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
mega.nz/#F!9NchGZyZ!-V1LhJALxDp9Tw97WzEQGA
mega.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
>Old Black Library Mega
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

>WIP Math-hammer doc (Thanks Chart-user!)
warhammer-community.com/2017/09/05/celebrate-30-years-of-warhammer-40000-top-5-squigsgw-homepage-post-3/

Khorne claims this fucking thread.

FUCK I CAN'T PICK A CSM LEGION HELP

*arrives unexpectedly*

WORLD EATERS YOU GREEN SHIT

Emperor's children help me, those tits are glorious

Can Tau turn to chaos?

I get they have almost no warp signature blah blah blah, but that doesn't stop them from worshipping a chaos god or being corrupted mentally does it?

>alpharius OP
I don't think so.

What do you like about each of them? What cool things can you do with each of them? What sort of play style interests you?

>fem alpharius
>noted to be smaller and not as strong as other primarchs
>never showed his face
>has a twin to provide the actual male gene seed
reverse trap Alpharius or omegon confirmed?

I would sell my soul for a non-finecast warpsmith
WORLD EATERS

> 99
Thousand Sons it is!

Should i make a Khorne Daemons army? And if so is a Blood Thirster and a Herald of Khorne on a Blood throne a good idea for HQs?

Will Veeky Forums buy it?

Those dubs have the answer

Step on snek edition.

Your dog or cat love your minis

isnt it hard to type with just one hand Dorn?

Does it have blood, skulls and a cool soundtrack? Then yes.

Post Inquistors

well shit cant say i expected to see coteaz in 8th ever again
rip you deep strike fucking Spaniard

>99
Tzeentch has spoken, save your money for the Thousand Sons Codex, coming Soon™

I love genestealers, but I can't do it anymore. Cult ambush is so bad.

>reserve just under half my army in deep strike
>opponent does the same
>I win the roll
>my army arrives scattered in random places determined by dice roll
>my opponents army arrives exactly where he wants them too

Why did GW think this was a good idea? Someone explain the logic to me:

>genestealers in 7th are an army that has underwhelming units, but due to their relatively reliable ability to deploy them in useful spots, they can succeed.
>in 8th edition, everyone got the ability to deploy exactly where they want via deep strike. Except Genestealers
>genestealers now have worse units and worse deep striking than everyone else.

I'm genuinely envious of you, been looking everywhere for that model.

I still haven't finished mine, but this should inspire me to finish.
Coteaz is really nice for how I play my army. Smite plus Terrify is perfect for my Bullgryn and Crusaders, plus hitting his hammer on 3s instead of 4s is really good. 2+ armor is comfy as well.

gonna be up all night writing a 7 page paper on Russian aggression in eastern Europe in the 21st century and i need a good book to keep me company
whats some good 40k audiobooks that are easy to find that i should blitz through tonight?

So, since we can now basically make whatever the fuck we want and have it be battle-forged, I was wondering what kind of success levels I might expect if I made an army that was entirely characters. We're talking a hyper-elite force of just HQs and stuff like demon princes and dreadnoughts. Anybody have any idea how well that might go? What if I added a couple of big chaff units (conscripts/boyz/gaunts/shitty demons) to bulk them out?
Not expecting much, just to be able to maybe enjoy a couple of games with friends and at the LGS where I'm not completely curbstomped.
Army doesn't really matter, although I'm most interested with how it would go with marines or spikey marines.

Nice trips namefag

Theoretically yes. Realistically no.

It's Alpharius backwards, it's part of the joke.

There a tournament level all character army. It uses Rowboat, Celestine and a bunch of Assassins. In an all character force Culexus Assassins basically means your whole army can only be hit on 6+ with shooting. Pretty bullshit.

for my 7th army he was the ultimate utility beast
he could deny deep strikes, cast prescience, tank anything under S6 AP2, reroll the seize, give out obsec, and in emergencies hit with an AP2 hammer all for 100 pts, loved that man and its still one of my favorite models, too bad its really hard to pick him over Gayfax even though i prefer badass spanish men over tsundere's every day

REPOST:

Hey, hey 40kg!
Rate my list! I'll give you a shitty meme this time

Grey Knights: 1996/2000 points

Vanguard Detatchement:

HQ:
>Voldus counts as is pic related

Elites:
>4 Paladins with a Hammer and a Stave
>4 Paladins with a Hammer and a Stave
>Venerable Dreadnought with Assault Cannon and Storm Bolter
>Venerable Dreadnought with Lascannon and Missle Launcher

Troops:
>10 Strikes with 2 Demon Hammers

Spearhead Detatchement:

HQ:
>Grandmaster with Fury of Deimos

Heavy Support:
>Purgation Squad with Psilencers
>Purgation Squad with Psilencers
>Land Raider Godhammer

The Purgators hide out in the Land Raider T1 to avoid any Alphastrikes if necessary, after that they form a firebase with the Land Raider, Missledreadnought and Grandmaster (for rerolls).

Voldus teleports in with the Paladins and the Strikes for the alphastrike attack, while the other dread teleports up the field with them with Gate of Infinity.

read it again

I like the IW for their fluff and playstyle aka shoot the shit out of them. Paint scheme looks neat too
Night Lords look dope and offer an interesting playstyle. i like the idea of running raptors and fucking around with the LD modifiers.
WE look fun too, CQC looks brutal but i have no clue how to run them.

i'm interested. how do i run them? i.e. how do i ensure they get in combat?

Doesn't. There's plenty of indicators that Tau are affected by Chaos. There's a little story where a pilot experiences weird sensations when fighting Chaos forces, Kais from Fire Warrior was picked by the big bad Chaos force among the Tau to be manipulated to their ends, etc.

Tau as a whole have a system that doesn't afford a lot of freedoms and would make corruptions difficult. It'd have to start from high up or have a group isolated from the main society Farsight style to have any chance of succeeding.

Building a nazgul cawl for my medieval wraith ad mech army.

Ambush is just as good as everyone else's Deep Strike 2/3rds of the time, and significantly better 1/3 of the time, for the price that 1/3 of the time it's just an outflank. It's really not that bad. It could use some Stratagems and Warlord traits for consistency, so the Codex should help on that front.

The problem is the army got nerfed really hard in a bunch of other ways, from points costs to weapon stats to the fact that most of our good special rules were in Formations and Ambush alone was never that good without those.

dont forget it makes your army effectively immune to Smite spam because of psychic abomination, which was one of the most popular builds when that meme list came out

> how do i ensure they get in combat?
metal bawkses loaded with zerkers

That he was. Rolling on divination I would often get Precognition, allowing him to reroll his 2+ save and I would 'look out sir' anything that AP1 or 2.
His nerf in 8th was for the best.

didn't mean to quote

That's interesting. I was interested in basically trying to go for the kind of cinematic team of individual badasses effect, but it's good to hear that the army might actually not completely suck ass.

Clever.
But your tricks will not work on me, you fiendish scum.

Isn't harder to type with out a head?

>back when GWs website had good articles on it
Sigh.

>how to get berserkers in combat
hide them in an empty building with a time released lock

I can see why it's tough for most armies to pick him over someone like Greyfax. Greyfax is nice utility and nice defensively, but Coteaz suits my offensive play style better. When there's a bunch of characters, Conscripts, Infantry squads, Crusaders, Bullgryn, Chimeras, Scout Sentinels all bum rushing into combat, his Smite, Terrify and Demon Hammer add a lot to the mix. I mean he's pasted 3 Custodes in one go before. That 3 Damage can be brutal.

Unfortunately, I like Greyfax's model way more. I've considered chopping her up and giving her a hammer so I could use Coteaz' rules for her, but I don't want to risk the model and that's confusing for my opponents.

don't those blow up easily? and what about shooting? that's just for plebs i presume?

>4/3rds
No. What needs to happen is that ambush needs to be shifted to work like very other similar mechanic.

You can choose your result on the table or roll. If you choose, you can't choose the same result more than once until all results have been chosen.

Reminder to all you anons out there:
You can do anything you dream of.

My ideas for making some shitty marine units better

Full disclosure I don't play vanilla manlets so my insight into them may be clearly wrong.

>Intercessors: When this all models in this unit are in base to base contact with another model in this unit, this unit gains the benefits of cover.

>Intercessor auto bolt rifle: this weapon may be fired while advancing with no to hit penalty.

>Intercessor stalker bolt rifle: If a model with this weapon did not move in its previous movement phase, add +1 to its hit rolls. This model may target enemy characters regardless of whether they are the closest model.

I'm just trying to give them a purpose besides intro marines. The other two weapon profiles don't have a lot going for them compared to the rapid fire bolt rifle and with the Tarkus-esque cover bonus they can at least function as tough objective grabbers.

>Tactical marines: At the beginning of your shooting phase you may declare that this unit will perform a Fury of the Chapter attack. All models in this unit may fire twice this shooting phase but cannot fire in your following shooting phase.

Right what it says on the tin. If intercessors are about defense, at least tacticals can be about offense. Giving each tactical a storm bolter and doubling the efficiency of special weapons makes them pretty viable in rhinos.

>redemptor dreadnought: Either WS/BS2+ or an invul of some sort.

Its just not particularly good for its points cost, I wish there was a niche it had besides "better boxnaught, worse contemptor" and "spams the shit out of S5 AP-1"

Hellblasters: Heavy Annihilators are D2 standard, D3 overcharged

Simple fix, it makes them competitive picks with lascannons except they overheat.

A guy in a past 40kg claimed you can't deepstrike past turn 3. The reinforcements rule in the core rules don't say that.

Where is that rule?

okay is this thread just dorn and alpharius shitposting on eachother?
is there anyone here whos not alpharius?

I think it is from 7th, you can't have a drop pod arrive on turn 3.

Half rounding up on turn 1, rest on turn 2.

in matched play any units still in reserve past turn 3 count as slain.

I roll mine with a land raider, though it really is just a one turn shield and 3" charge extender. After that it just seems to camp an objective and take potshots.

Same guy as earlier. Still list building. How'd I do this time? Do I need more knights, less scions? Just was thinking about giving them a Land Raider Redeemer or something, to help them out.

IG Battalion - Stormtroopers
2x Tempestor Prime - Command Rod, Power Maul
(3 squads) 10x Scions - 4x Volleyguns, Tempestor with plasma pistol
(2 squads) Tempestus Command - 4x Plasmaguns
3x Taurox Prime - Storm Bolter, Volleyguns and Gatling Gun
2x Valkyries - Lascannon, Missile Pods, Heavy Bolters
Culexus Assassin

GK Vanguard
Draigo - Sanctuary, Gate
Apothecary - Warding Stave, Gate
Paladin Ancient - Gate
Paladin Squad - 2x with Falchions, Paragon with Hammer, Hammerhand

It's in the Matched Play section.

Even if Ambush were just changed to be Deep Strike our army wouldn't be that good anymore.

They need to fix the points costs and the weapon stats, and give back RttS and the ability to recover models when they Ambush back in.

community site has decent meme tier articles, and they are obviously the most reliable source for info on new codexes and teases

Marines really don't need a buff. Play to the objectives,not just to table your opponent and they do fine

This will never not make me smile.

Dont bother with the Apothecary. You need to have at least 5 in the Paladin unit to justify bringing an apothecary with them. Any smart opponent will either just ignore them, or kill the entire 3-man unit in one go, both of which make the apothecary useless.

So what is this little fella anyway?

Getting summoning back would be fun too. Make it summon tyranid units too.

marines as a whole are pretty competitive, I'm just thinking of ways to make their in-faction balance a little better.

you start rolling for the other half on turn 2, only half the drop pods auto came in

anyone else happy drop pods were nerfed to irrelevancy? they really ooze of super special space marines ignoring rules bullshit to me

a fury

/3rds
One of those thirds is nested inside the 2/3rds, pay attention now.

How do you not realize that the main problem is that Metamorph weapons became useless while they got costlier, and Acolytes went up 3ppm while losing Rending on one of their attacks?

Worry not citizen! There are no Dorns in this sector. Please observe the curfew and retreat back into your domiciles, we'll handle it from here.

Familiar im pretty sure. in the same kit you can also build a sorcerer

Kind of yeah, I played SM in 7th.

They were an answer to cheese but they were too good with gravcents

spell familiar
feed him your command points

It's better than the dark days of 5th through 7th when we had no community site, but not as great as the old GW site of 3rd and 4th.

>I've already built the apothecary
>I fell for the plastic glue meme
Whelp.

Anything else?

>IW
>Night Lords
>WE

Ok, we got our big 3. What do you see as being the most fun to play with and how much do you want to put effort into converting, etc.

I would say IW are the simplest, since all you really need is a bunch of MkIII suits and a bucket of gunmetal grey. GW and FW make good conversion kits to add a little flare to the models. A lot of units are thematic for them, like Obliterators and Vindicators.

WE and NL do need a little more effort, since stock marines painted in their style probably won't look very good. Both do have kits from FW to spice things up, and berserkers got ancient plastic kits of their own to at least spice up other models, though I think FW bits are more useful.

WE at least open up a whole avenue of brutal conversions using all the AoS Khorne stuff. There's a whole host of muscular arms, brutal axes and those big Khorne helmets to put on your minis. So you'd probably have fun slapping stuff together that way, and shooting's not entirely out of the question, seeing how much Khorne loves his war machines. Defilers and forgefiends would probably work nicely with more combat oriented troops.

A familiar. They had rules in 2nd I believe, then were a base decoration, then rules, then back to dressing

How do you not realize that an army balanced by being slightly less random than other armies loses power when every army but it becomes nonrandom?

>Saphira Lumia
...wait a minute

decide whether you want a grey knight list with supporting stormtroopers or a stormtrooper list with some grey knights.

Draigo, the apothecary and an ancient only really make sense together with like 7 other paladins, not 3. Its a really neutered deathball.

i understand the awesome idea of steel rain dropping this huge chunk of dudes right into the action, but the fact that half auto came in turn one, and they could pretty much never misshape they just seemed so dumb and really gave me the vibe that GW just wanted to move units
>t. bitter former grey knight player in 7th

A poor little red guy.

>Saphira Lumia
advanced shitposting

That wasn't what made them good, user.

What made them good was being cost-efficient melee units that had a built-in delivery system.

They still have the SAME delivery system, it didn't get worse just because others got better, what we lost was the "cost-effective" part.

I'm guessing you probably weren't very good at playing GSC last edition either considering you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what made them good to begin with.

>deathball
so grey knights are the protoss of 40k?

>is there anyone here who's not alpharius?
Yes, but is a very well kept secret. Please tell no one, specifically not Bobby.

That's been my kinda issue desu, dividing the army correctly. Cut one half, the other half suffers.

Friend of mine who plays Custards suggested I have a few small squads of Paladins, not one deathstar, and have characters floating amidst them. Is that a decent strategy?

I'll probably try and go with Stormtroopers with Knight support. Not fond of the basic GK model. I can always get more paladins

You can pick one and only one non-character LOW from another army to import into yours, /40kg/. Who do you choose? Assume it's for gameplay purposes and the lore will be modified to fit your army.

>Please tell no one, specifically not Bobby.
Don't tell me what citize- wait, you seem familiar

user i play imperium, so i get almost all the HQs i could ever want
but if i could id pick yvrain so i could turn my entire IG army into ynnari and do that psychic power to soulburst my baneblade every turn

Well you dont have to feel terrible about it. Apothecaries are pretty good in melee, plus even if he doesnt heal the Paladins, at least you have a Draigo and an Ancient you can work on.

>anything else to help them out.
Honestly they dont need a transport, they can close the distance by deepstriking.
It just really comes down to how many paladins you want.

I would spread my powers around a bit better, though.
>draigo get gate and vortex, since thats fluffy and he doesnt need sanctuary
>Paladins take Hammerhand, thats gud
>Apothecary takes Sanctuary, can save himself or the Paladins (reminder that GKs arent allowed to have 2++ due to FAQ)
>Ancient takes purge soul, combine with +1 leadership from his banner for extra mortal wounds against the right targets its also great for baiting your opponent to deny,
since it can do a shitton of mortal wounds if targeted properly

I think IW are probably the best fit if i do some thinking. i think I'll build the bulk of it leaning towards shooty IW, but tack on some Night Lords raptors/warp talons with a lord. I just don't want to have a purely shooty army. i think adding a close combat assassin unit will be fun.
i think IW will be fun to model. adding battle damage and mud effects should be simple enough
thoughts?

Rhinos. Fill them with angry choppy dudes.

Paladins are good even without support, if you just want 3-5 of them dropping in with a barebones chaplain or something they'll do fine as a nice little hammer unit.

Psst.

Hey you.

Post your standard bearers and banner wavers in actual games.

>cult ambush wasn't what made 7e genestealers good
>what made them good was cult ambush, the efficient built in delivery system

You're really retarded aren't you. Cult ambush is worse relative to everything else. Think about it this way, in the dumbest possible terms that I can lower myself to get to:

You have one dollar. Everyone else has 1 cent. You are rich.

Everyone else gets 1 billion dollars given to them by the government. You get nothing. Massive inflation results and you can no longer purchase anything. You starve and die, a victim of dumb economic planning and your poor Darwinian fitness.

Yes, for it is I, your nemesis alpahrius, back from the dead to defeat you guillman! I'm also yellow and much larger now because I'm a demon He'll never suspect it is really I, Rogal Dorn

That's a very fair point. I updated it, then. Two Squads of Paladins, with a pair of psilencers. I did wanna do incinerators but they're a little expensive for their use.

IG Battalion - Stormtroopers
2x Tempestor Prime - Command Rod
(2 squads) 10x Scions - 4x Volleyguns, Tempestor with plasma pistol
(2 squads) 10x Scions - 4x Plasmaguns, Tempestor with plasma pistol
2x Taurox Prime - Storm Bolter, Volleyguns and Gatling Gun

Culexus Assassin

GK Vanguard
Draigo - Vortex, Gate
Apothecary - Warding Stave, Sanctuary
Paladin Ancient - Purge Soul
(2x) Paladin Squad - 4x with Falchions, 2 with Psilencers, Paragon with Hammer, Hammerhand