I'm on that B/U control
I'm all about that scarab god
Suck my dick
Also I hate mono-red

5C DINOS

CONTROL IS FOR PUSSIES

BREWING SOME VEHICLES BUT WITH DINOS AND BURN, SHOULD BE FUN

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Kinda new to mtg and was wondering if discard if played heavily enough is a valid form of removal?

But for real tho. Fuck agro

i havent touched mtg in over a decade
can someone explain to me why the fuck merfolk are green now?

>Playing
Mono White Monument Vamps. Been thinking about adding Blue
>Hating
Approach. My decks aren't built to beat that shit, I have to board 4 Gideon's Intervention for fuck's sake
>Brewing
Vampire builds. Monument is typically the best, though

Got a list I can take a gander at? I've been splashing black for Yahenni and Push.

>playing
Grixis control with primal amulet/hailfire and bolas
>hating
Mono red and longtusk cub
>brewing
U/B scarab God mill with fleet swallower

because they are on this plane.

just like how they were U/W and U/B in Lorywnn/shadowmoor.

This is what I've been messing with with the Blue splash. Dunno if Black's worth it, but I guess it can't hurt to try

I mean I own almost all of that as is, save for Gideon.

Black gives me Yahenni, Push, and Gifted Aetherborn, and it works without much problem. That looks like classic Monument, and I kinda dig it.

The Gideons are basically two more Gideon's Intervention, just on a body. He's there to stop me from losing to Approach, basically, while also being decent in other matchups. You can just play two more Interventions if you don't have the Gideons

The thing about those black creatures is that they don't get the discount from Monument, and that just feels bad for me

And that's why I run 3 Monuments and a few other payoffs like Oketra and Seekers. I've posted a few times in here about my list, and I'm not going to be the first to say that it needs work.

I really like your list too, I may give it a try to relive August before we lost Queller and Hanweir.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/vampire-monument-1/

Probably not in standard, mostly bc there aren't enough effects to be consistent and you don't control what they discard

Duress best option but mainly as a sideboard against control as you'll be removing their removal.

What about something like dreamstealer and raiders' wake? And using sarab God to play their discards

dabbled with monow monument a bit (TOM ROSS LIST WHEN REEE) and i found the 3 and 2 slot to be so muddy, so focusing on vampires is fucking sweet. tried glorybound initiate, which is a fine pushed card, but the dusk nonbo felt weird. trueheart duelist was good but still a bit subpar, and at 3cmc sunscourge champion felt likewise. Adanto and Fein gives the deck some much needed synergy (cleric feeling better than sunscourge given that)

As of now I don't quite like Bishops Soldier too much, I mean it's fine given red deck wins, but I have a really good feeling we will be seeing some vampire payoffs in the next set to compliment Fein and maybe even synergize with bishops soldier/conquistador/landing et al

I love monumeme and i feel white vampires are a set short of receiving potentially busted payoff cards, especially for a deck playing almost pure vampires incidentally

Look up budget 8rack for modern. It's fun to play and modern gets as much play as standard.

Was going to play drake haven deck, but no place around does standard anymore

Without lightning strike and fiery temper it's just not as good anyway. I ended up with UR enigma drake after rotation. The deck definitely has legs though.

Got a list? I've been wanting to make some kind of god centered control list ever since they came out. Ixalan seems to have added a few nice control cards

Nothing wrong with aggro. Aggro with a curve of aggressively statted creatures with haste that also prevent blocking, coupled with a full suite of 1 and 2 cost burn spells is just fucking silly though.

Seriously, just go B/W. Sanctum Seeker is one of the few payoff cards for even playing vampires.

Energy is so annoying. Its like Wizards threw everything they've ever said about parasitic mechanics out the window.

Now we've got a standard deck that has essentially minigoyf in long tusk cub and a massive hexproof beater in Hydra.

It's not treated as a source of removal, but as "card advantage" (after all if you got 5 cards and your opponent for 4, you have a relative advantage).

As people said on Standaard this isn't viable, but there's an entire deck based on discard on Modern called 8rack. You rip your opponent's hands to pieces, kill whatever they managed to put on the board, and win with an artifcact called The Rack (Or an enchantment with different name but same effect - thus "8 racks" on the deck) that does damage based on how little cads the opponent has in hand.

Does anyone have any tips for newbie drafter? What are some resources to read up on?

I'm running the standard green red dinosaurs list, and was wondering if it's worth splashing white for kinjallis caller?

Not a standard player, but looking to grab a scarab god.

Price tag is ridiculous, but others have mentioned scarab might be banned, given we just passed a ban announcement, what are the actual odds of it being banned?

If you duress someone, you're both down a card. There's no 'real' card advantage there. The difference is you're removing a potential threat, so it's a sort of virtual card advantage.

The internet. CFB's website is packed full of draft articles. I can't say for certain how good they are, but seems like a good place to start.

Ask yourself not what you can add, but what you have to give up. Not just cards, but mana base consistency, overall deck consistency, etc.

Pretty slim. There are plenty of ways to deal with it, just no one wants to because it means giving up sideboard slots.

>pretty slim

Damn, thanks user. I want that scarab god, but not at its price tag. Guess Ill wait till rotation.

Just started getting back into MTG after a two year break. Last thing I played was the release event of the set after Magic Origins. I thought MO was a pretty boring set. How is Ixalan and Amonkhet?

Unfortunately, price memory/retention is a thing. If it stays above $40, hell, it's almost $50, for long, it's not going to fall all that much when it rotates in two years. Or at all, maybe.
Look at Jace, Vryn's Prodigy - it's still near $20 despite the fact it's only played in a couple of legacy decks.

Didn't Jace stay around $60-80 for awhile during the popularity of Jeskai?

It hit $100 near the release of SOI, I believe. He was one of those blue cards that you wanted in pretty much any deck that also ran blue.

i did jeski fliers with favorable winds and went 8-0 at my lgs.
>1 drop siren
>2 drop mence fly dino
>3 drop vampire bright hawk
>3 drop stop haste fly dino
>4 drop cycle sphinx
>5 drop glory bringer
>6 drop locus god

for non creature spells its lighting strike, chart a course, ixalan binding and favorable winds

sideboard spell pierce, abrade, sweltering suns, and wrath to exile

Im doing grixis fliers myself. Try glyph keeper, people dont know how to answer it. They dont want to 2 for 1 themselves but its a fast clock that trades with pretty much everything

nice, i would do grixis but local meta is mono red and second sun, so had to build to fight off both

Right, haven't played properly since llorwyn (though I dabbled into the roster cos I love me some mythology)

Thinking of coming back mainly for drafts cos the latest set sounds great (pirates v dinosaur!)

My question is how does standard look nowadays? Is a block 3 sets still and how often do they cycle out?

And how's MA boys garruk and kitty doing?

To balance out the color distribution of the tribes in the set.

Also Kiora

>tfw standard and modern are dead at your LGS
>Legacy and EDH aren't

Mixed feelings as I play all formats except Modern But I don't want to drive 2 hours to another one to play standard

Blocks were 2 sets, but this is the last block. Afterwards they're going to 3 large individual sets plus one core set every year, so blocks will be gone.

Garruk disappeared after he attacked Liliana on a card and there was a feminist outrage, Ajani is expected to appear in the next set because he appears on one of the rivals of ixalan boosters

would love to see a full decklist and sideboard numbers

I've never seen a place that had an active legacy community. Seems like anyone that plays legacy/vintage outside of small-but-big tournaments does it on MODO.

>Garruk disappeared after he attacked Liliana on a card and there was a feminist outrage
Did WotC specifically say we will never see Garruk again or is he going to come back in a later set? Most of this feminism shit has gone away and its only a small number of loudmouths anymore

Apparently they've tried getting a presence for standard and modern but nobody shows interest. Kinda sucks because the store is quite clean and has a very distinct lack of neckbeards and BO. And I have a group who I play EDH with. Went in for legacy night one time and it was just scrubs showing off their revised duals. Easily cleaned house that night

im going to do this by memory, at work
4x siren stormtamer
4x sky terror
4x aerial responder
4x kenjali's sunwing
4x curator of mysteries
4x glory bringer
2x locus god
4x lightning strike
4x chart a coarse
2x ixalans binding
3x evolving wilds
3x w/r fastland
3x u/r fastland
4x u/w cycle lands
4x glacier fortress
1x island
1x mountian
1x planes

side
abrade x 3
settle the wreckage x 2
spell pierce x 4
sweltering suns x 2
negate x 2
sorcerer's spyglass x 2

I think it's because once people are entrenched in a non-rotating format, they don't want to buy new shit.
Only exception I've seen are the really competitive people that like all formats. Though, interestingly, many pro players don't like modern but like legacy.

>Thread Question:
I don't have the G/U manabase to play either, but Sultai seems fun to me.

I dont think you have enough cycling for curator

so, have you guys played a game where both you and your opponent have 4 hostage takers in your deck? it's a fucking nightmare.

Where do I get pictures of Magic besides artofmtg.com/?

They seem to only have the modern ones. If possible, no cards, just the art.

sphinx isnt there as a cycle trigger, but a 4 mana 4/4 with flying that can be thrown away if you need tempo or an answer now

its just an on curve beat stick

forgot the favorable winds x4

>hostage taker

What a fucking way to ruin limited. Sirens ruse + hostage taker has never made me more infuriated.

> Playing
Jund Midrange, has game against just about every deck but the main issue is drawing the wrong part of the deck at times. Like drawing walkers and gearhulks against mono red.
> Hating
U/B control players. Yes, this is a Carnage Tyrant game one and no, you don't have an answer for it, stop digging, there is only twenty minutes left on the clock.
> brewing
Still working on Jund, there's a lot of tweaks that are probably needed, and probably a deeper look at the Mana base? And I'm always trying to find something to do with my playset of Jaces, there's a blue tempo deck out there somewhere that we're not seeing.
> Thread topic
Temur, Hostage taker has been very good imo since that first week.

Finding the artists Deviantart/Artstation/personal website is usually the best bet.

Ok. There's a metric ton of them.

Any way to shorten that list? Which are Veeky Forums's favourites?

On the top of my head I'll name Larry McDougal, Jesper Ejsing, Steve Prescott, Paul Bonner and Andreas Rocha. Or just look up who did your favorite cards.

Hasn't been very good*

Thanks.

To everyone else, drop the names of your favourite artists as well, if you will.

>mb carnage tyrant to trigger control players

whats your jund build look like?

It's just a good card, honestly.
4x Channceler Initiate
4x Glory Bringer
2x Noxious Gearhulk
2x Carnage Tyrant
1x Scorpion God

3x Chandra, Tourch of Defiance
2x Vraska, Relic Seeker
1x Liliana, Death's Majesty

3x Doomfall
3x Live Fast

3x Abrade
2x Fatal Push
2x Harness Lightning
2x Vraska's Contempt

4x Dragon Skull Summit
4x Rootbound Crag
3x Blooming Marsh
3x Canyon Slough
3x Sheltered Thicket
1x Ifnir Deadlands
3x Swamp
2x Forest
2x Mountain

Sideboard
3x Duress
2x Magma Spray
2x Gonti, Lord of Luxury
2x Appetite for the Unnatural
1x Blasting Cannon
1x Carnage Tyrant
1x Bontu's Last Reckoning
1x Chandra, Tourch of Defiance
1x Chanra's Defeat
Scorpion God has been pretty good but it could be a Nissa? I just don't like that card very much.

I'm surprised you don't run any boardwipes in your main. What's with the harnessed lightning over lightning strike?
Seems like you could cut four lands, shift to a slightly greener manabase, and then run four attunes.

You should try to fit Deathgorge Scavengers in the main. Good beatstick, and the incidental graveyard hate is pretty relevant against a lot of decks.

Live Fast has been really really good and the random energy was just always there? So Harness Lightning has the possibility to kill some big guys, it rarely happens though. And the reach that strike has never came into play, when you win it's by a wide margin. And maybe a Bontu's reckoning in the main could be good, I'll have to try it out. And the deck is super Mana intensive, like you need all your Mana for many turns. I'd rather draw my fifth land to cast a walker than draw an attune, cast it and be behind on Mana. It works in Energy because the Energy it gives is enough of an advantage to make up for that wasted Mana or even turn.

Maybe, I had the idea for a bit now too but our game one against control decks has been pretty winnable because our creature count is kind of low or just hard to deal with. So I dunno about making that match up a little worse? It might be by only a few percentage points and it doesn't matter, but I will try it out. Another thing is you get into top deck mode against stuff like Energy game one and the deck has great ones, so making it a bit worse in those terms might be bad too? Again, I like the idea and will try it out but those are my worries about doing it.

Nigga he came back for M15, the outrage was over Innistrad or Dark Ascension iirc.

It took forever to bring Nicol Bolas back and he's head and shoulders above Garruk in popularity. Wild Man will have his time, after he stops having his G and GB spotlight stolen by quality waifus.

Nissa is boring shit. Liliana is shit.
I get they're supposed to be color attuned or whatever the fuck, but they're so god damn one dimensional.
Though I will say Nissa had a spark of character back when she was elf hitler. Made her interesting as a protagonist.

What deck box do you use lads? I'm looking for one that I can put like two in along with dice and some tokens.

Ultimate Guard flip tray is by far the superior choice. All kinds of sizes as well.

Playing mardu vehicles. Hating energy in all its variants, but its a great deck so cant blame people for playing it. Not really brewing until I see rivals of ixalan

What tier is a fast minotaur tribal that dumps the hand and wrecks hard with Neheb & friends?

And what tier would a grixis pirates discard with lots of raiders wake, duress and exploring pirates be?

Well, Scarab God isn't a minotaur, so, probably fucking kill yourself.

And Grixis Pirates, while good, because it can run Scarab God, isn't taking full advantage of Graveyard Shenanigans, thus getting the most out of your Scarab God.

That was helpful

the scarab god is literally what defines the current standard. I think mono r might be the only deck not running blue.

Well for those of us who are not interested in spending $200 for 4 pieces of a deck to play with friends, can we go back to the question I asked?

Your question doesn't make any sense, because you aren't providing actually established decks to tier. Untiered decks are by definition, untiered so no one can answer your question. You haven't even provided a decklist.

If you really want to go all in on discard just play mono black with deserts/camels and torments.

Are there any hints or rumours that Phyrexia is coming back yet?

>Standard is so shit my flgs went from having trouble firing draft and modern because everyone was playing Standard when Khans released to 1 or 2 poor saps signing up for Standard and easily a dozen sign up for moden
What happened from Khans to Ixalan?

Fetch Lands not in standard anymore.

i tried it back before ixalan came around and was lack luster, control was still cancer, and energy is still cancer. And scarab god just makes it silly...

i wish this was our problem,
standard barely scrapes by with 6 walk ins, and sometimes 2 of the store people may have to do it and that just blows.
But they have modern and commander all the time because the same people return and play the same thing until the next jim, bob, dandy brings the deck that counters #1 and the cycle repeats.

Ultimate Guard Boulder. Holds the full 75 +tokens and even some D6's if I really want. Super compact, but only holds one deck.

If you don't want to commit money to the deck, why are you asking about tiers? Just shitbrew if you want a casual deck to play with friends. It's not hard to put together a curve of hastey minotaurs.

To be competitive the only real investment you had to make for Khans Standard was fetches, which have proven lasting value in other formats. Right now, nobody wants to put down $200 for Scarab Gods that will be worthless in a year.

I'm sure someone will say "hey, why is Dominara all fucked up like this"
"Oh, there was these Phyrexians that ate up our plane and some guy blew them all away"
"Oh, so they're all gone?"

>dumbass jace is going to summon Emrakrul to Domeria and have more Eldrazi

Would an explore deck with Wildgroth walker work? or do i need another guy?

It just takes too much mana and effort to even grow him up to a threatening size, and without trample or another useful keyword it will just get chumped for days.

A really shitty standard environment happened.
>$100 jaces
>Eldrazi yet again
>BFZ/OGW in general
>Least diverse meta in an age

Cost is also a factor. Player retention for MTG is surprisingly low.
Too many people treat it as some kind of investment instead of a hobby as well. Whenever I do a trade at my LGS, people give me this confused look when I say I don't give a fuck if I'm $2-3 off on a trade. If someone needs some bulk rare and I have more than a playset I'll just give it to them for free and they act like I just handed them a $100 bill. Shit is weird.
So, when that subset of people get cards, they want to hang onto them and play them forever. Funny thing is, for all people harp on about the supposed diversity of modern, the matches are so god damn linear and so many games come down to if someone drew their sideboard answer or not, pretty much everyone winds up quitting altogether after a year or two. The reason? They're tired of the same decks.

Standard may be a money pit at times, but overall MTG is a cheap hobby - provided you're not flying all over the world for GPs and PTs - and I like the fact the meta tends to shift heavily every six months or so. It's also far easier to come up with a budget T2 deck for things like Standard Showdown than you'd be able to in modern.

I'm retooling my old Gearhulk Reanimator into Mardu GPG, because no creatures until T4 minimum while also losing to the control matchup simply won't cut it.
I'm looking at the esper lists for reference. What guts me being in R and not U is that their early game creatures in U like Minister of Inquiries and especially Champion of Wits fill up the graveyard for easy Gates activation. I don't have something like Neonate anymore, the closest I can do to that is something like tormenting voice or cathartic reunion. I can run the B creatures they do like freebooter, seeker's squire, and I see some even running glint-sleeve for card draw and later menace, but R creatures is just so lackluster for this style of deck right now.
My biggest concern is going to be too heavy a concentration on 2 drops. Both Reunion and Voice are 2 drops, most of the creatures I can run will be 2 drops outside of the payoffs like Angels and a few hulks since I have them.

Phyrexian eldrazi!

>jace
>not Nissa that has her brain and counsciouness touched by Emrakul

From elementals, to plants and
elves then scions. Wouldn't that be cool?

Didn't you ask the same thing about a month ago?
I already told ya to add blue long time ago for the Scarab

Help Veeky Forums, you're my only hope!

Trying to make """"optimize"""" r/w sunbird and 95% of it looks decent but what do you guys think?

4 Magma Spray
4 Abrade
4 Sweltering Suns
4 Cast Out
1 Settle the Wreckage
4 Fumigate
3 Gideon of the Trials
4 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
1 Vance's Blasting Cannons
3 Sunbird's Invocation
3 Approach of the Second Sun

4 Inspiring Vantage
8 Plains
8 Mountain
4 Stone Quarry
1 Field of Ruin

Thinking of buying ramunap red but I don't wanna be a piece of trash.
what do?

Play something else.

okay so I'm having a problem at my LGS, I am currently playing grixis control and have been since I started playing magic at the start of HoD and it has gotten to the point where everyone in the store knows what deck I am playing and knows how to counter play. I want to make a new deck but it has taken me so long to get my deck to a point where it is actually able to win games consistently, What do I do?
I was interested in making a fraying sanity/ fleet swallower/scarab god reanimator deck but from what I have read and been told mill is shit and it's not worth trying to do. My budget for a deck is like 300 aus

My store also has a control meta, I'm not sure if that helps with anything

ok i'm now on 3 fumigate 2 wreckage. that card is nuts.
the wrath slot is probably wrong, but i'm outta slots 4 magma spray might also be wrong but i feels so right sometimes (feels not dead vs u/b control and red alike)

tldr basically, might run 3 spray 3 fumigate 3 settle and fix the rest in post, but for now 4 spray is excellent and i'm torn between wraths

Why would you be a piece of trash?
Just play what you want. Monored may still be very popular, but it lost its explosiveness in the rotation. It's a slightly slower deck now and the winrates reflect that.